Thread: Booker DeWitt Outfit Ponderances

Booker DeWitt Outfit Ponderances

Hello folks, new guy here, looking to know a little bit about our friend Booker and what he wears for an intended costume I'm making.

1. His vest and pants, I can't tell if they're black or some sort of darkish brown, any thoughts?

2. I believe that is a red tie around his neck, but it is not like on of our modern ties. What would I call such a thing?

3. That collar he has under his shirt. I have no clue what to call that thing. Does anybody know?

Thanks, any answer would be appreciated.

His vest is dark colored. By the looks of it, a very dark brown/red maybe even just black. Hard telling until I can get a better look at his in game model.

The tie is less a tie and more of a scarf. It's more scarlet colored than it is plain red.

He looks like he's wearing three different shirts. A undershirt which is white, a over shirt which is pinstriped and dark, and a vest. I don't know much about the type of suits men in the 1900s wore but I do know men going out in three piece suits was common. Folks dressed up to just walk down to the store in those days. It may be worth you time to look up common outfits for that time era. It's likely Booker is wearing a similar multi-shirt setup.

Thanks, mate! Good info.

I used a really really dark green for my vest. For the shirt, Its a white color black wing tipped shirt. My shirt was black with black stripes on it which gave it the same look as what Booker has on the front cover. the pants are either black with navy pinstripes, black with white pinstripes, or navy with white pinstripes... that's your choice. The thing he wears around his neck is similar to an ascot, Literally take a scarlet piece of fabric, cut it into a long skinny rectangle, and then tie it in a knot and that's that.....
    This is a very similar shirt, but imagine it with a wing tipped collar and stripes instead of whatever the pattern is on this..... I made mine so i can't really tell you where to buy one http://images.psyche.co.uk/images/pr...0-01856200.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ratherdashing93 View Post
    1. His vest and pants, I can't tell if they're black or some sort of darkish brown, any thoughts?
    Probably a dark brown. Black, even at the turn of the 19th/20th century, was not an easy color to dye textiles, without weakening them.

2. I believe that is a red tie around his neck, but it is not like on of our modern ties. What would I call such a thing?
    It may be a cravat, an early fore-runner of the modern tie that dates back to the 17th century.

3. That collar he has under his shirt. I have no clue what to call that thing. Does anybody know?
    ... that's the collar of his shirt. His shirt is white. The darker garment you see under his jacket, is a waistcoat (we would call it a vest). And the jacket is a "day coat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1910s_i...en.27s_fashion

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Lifes...0-fashion.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_7913852_1910s-fashion-men.html

I'm pretty sure his tie is a really long cravat.

Quote Originally Posted by JerZey CJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure his tie is a really long cravat.
    That's what I'm thinking.

As for everything else. The vest IS GREEN. It's obvious. It's green in every single picture. The only thing even close to that color that ISN'T green is grey. Black is going to be way too dark, I can promise... I tried. You're going to want to go with a dark greyish green or a dark green. It all depends on fabric. What i used looks very grey in some pictures, but very green in others.

As for the shirt... where are you guys getting the idea that he has on a waist coat??? You don't usually wear a waistcoat under a vest... a waistcoat is practically a vest.... If you REALLY want to see what late 19th-early 20th century shirts looked like, go to the website called "the gentleman's emporium". They usually had a detachable collar as well (which is definitely what Dewitt has.

IF FOR SOME REASON ANYTHING I SAID IS NOT TRUE, please tell me... I am also re-doing my Booker Dewitt vest and I'm going fabric shopping here soon.
    Last edited by mr.bubbles215; 03-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.bubbles215 View Post
    As for the shirt... where are you guys getting the idea that he has on a waist coat??? You don't usually wear a waistcoat under a vest... a waistcoat is practically a vest....
    I think the green garment you're seeing, is not a vest. Look at the bottom picture, the shoulder to the right side of the image. Clearly, that sleeve is fully attacked. I think it's a green/grey day coat.

Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    I think the green garment you're seeing, is not a vest. Look at the bottom picture, the shoulder to the right side of the image. Clearly, that sleeve is fully attacked. I think it's a green/grey day coat.
    I can easily see what you're talking about, but if you look close enough, It's not the same material or color, so there's no way its a coat. not to mention, in every other picture of Booker you can see that It is a vest.

I also want to know why they gave Booker hand wraps yet in every gameplay we have seen so far he is not wearing them.

Kinda spoilers? Maybe? Depends on your definition but:

Booker runs into a confrontation with a man running a stall. The man recognizes him and Elizabeth and warns that he'll alert the authorities if you don't go peacefully. Booker has the option to just shoot him forgo the incident but Elizabeth will think you're a monster for it. The other option is to try and talk the stall man down. He apparently succeeds but gets stabbed in the hand for his effort. Elizabeth thinks more highly of you for it though. She wraps your hand for you afterward.

You see the bandage in some shots and not in others because depending on the choice you make he may or may not get the bandage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesie View Post
    Kinda spoilers? Maybe? Depends on your definition but:

Booker runs into a confrontation with a man running a stall. The man recognizes him and Elizabeth and warns that he'll alert the authorities if you don't go peacefully. Booker has the option to just shoot him forgo the incident but Elizabeth will think you're a monster for it. The other option is to try and talk the stall man down. He apparently succeeds but gets stabbed in the hand for his effort. Elizabeth thinks more highly of you for it though. She wraps your hand for you afterward.

You see the bandage in some shots and not in others because depending on the choice you make he may or may not get the bandage.
    whatever happened to the quick Karate chop to the neck or the blackjack to the head

Booker was a Pinkerton after all and they frowned on slaughtering people generally

Yeah but Booker was kick out of the Pinkerton agency for misconduct. He's likely one of those people who would (or has) slaughter(ed) people.

I preferably use the hand wrap with my cosplay.... I think it looks cool

The bandage( I think) covers the "AD" on Bookers hand, so glean from that what you may.

This has been excellent discussion, folks. I am in your debt.

You're very welcome.

And you're correct Jezz. It does. If you choose to get stabbed the bandage covers up the AD.

I am showing up to my local Gamestop as Booker Dewitt. I have ALMOST everything I need for costume: vest, pinstripe pants, dark shirt with white underneath, classy shoes, the red cravat, the bandages, a new haircut, a properly timed shave for the right facial hair, and an incoming Sky-Hook.

Now does anyone have any idea where I could get a hold of some reasonably priced shoulder gun holsters? That is literally all I need for the complete cosplay. I suppose I can survive without it considering my costume is very clearly Booker but it's an easy cosplay and I'd like to do a fairly decent job on it.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmcconnell View Post
    I am showing up to my local Gamestop as Booker Dewitt. I have ALMOST everything I need for costume: vest, pinstripe pants, dark shirt with white underneath, classy shoes, the red cravat, the bandages, a new haircut, a properly timed shave for the right facial hair, and an incoming Sky-Hook.

Now does anyone have any idea where I could get a hold of some reasonably priced shoulder gun holsters? That is literally all I need for the complete cosplay. I suppose I can survive without it considering my costume is very clearly Booker but it's an easy cosplay and I'd like to do a fairly decent job on it.
    Well, I got mine off of Amazon, but It wasn't cheap... 80 dollars....
    You may find one cheaper, but even if you don't, go without one for now and then buy one later in the future! I'm remaking a bunch of my stuff such as the vest, pants, and makeup (130 dollars worth of makeup... no joke) so I completely understand budget cuts!!

You may find one cheaper, but even if you don't, go without one for now and then buy one later in the future! I'm remaking a bunch of my stuff such as the vest, pants, and makeup (130 dollars worth of makeup... no joke) so I completely understand budget cuts!!
    I'm jealous of your customization. I bought all the clothes for my cosplay. The only thing i ended up having sewn was the scarf because the fabric wasn't long enough to go around my neck comfortably XD and that was the easiest thing to get a hold of. I may sew on a proper collar for the vest since I just got a sewing machine, and I think I'm going to learn how to use it. Not knowing has put me behind on a lot of crafts I wanna do. I applaud you for doing the makeup. This is my second cosplay though so I don't trust myself haha. But I got steampunk conventions coming up that I wanna go to so I may dabble a little in the future.

You realize I can make the holster correct? I do work with leather.

Well geez, I sure wish you lived near me. I'd certainly try to commission you. XD

I wish I would've came to you before I bought mine for 80 dollars.... -_-
    Don't get me wrong, the one I bought looks just like it and it's great quality, but wherever I can save money on this dang wallet-eater I need too!

Sorry. But if you still want to bother with it I can see what I can rig up Bubbles.

And there is such a thing as shipping Connell. Heck I got to ship everything I make. I don't live next to no one.

Sorry. But if you still want to bother with it I can see what I can rig up Bubbles.

And there is such a thing as shipping Connell. Heck I got to ship everything I make. I don't live next to no one.
    Nah it's all good, since I've already got one.... not to mention, with 130 or so dollars worth of makeup, I really can't buy anything else... If I did, I may not have the money for Infinite!

Wheel the offer's always on the table if you change you mind.

130 bucks in makeup. Hot dang.

Wheel the offer's always on the table if you change you mind.

130 bucks in makeup. Hot dang.
    possibly more.... I'm getting the latex prosthetic for my brow to look like Booker, PLUS the wrinkling makeup, PLUS the scarring makeup, PLUS the fake eyebrow hair, PLUS all the cream makeup, PLUS the makeup glue, PLUS the latex, PLUS the stage coal dirt, PLUS the stuff to blend the prosthetic with my face.... If I don't look almost exactly like Booker after all of this, then something is TERRIBLY wrong.....

Well... I've been known to spend untold amounts of money on dumb crap like ukuleles. So I guess everyone's got a right to spend their money however they please. You's is just so happenly' makeup.

Though we discussed this about the wrinkles. Did the glue trick not work? Also thought you wasn't gettin' the eyebrows?

Well... I've been known to spend untold amounts of money on dumb crap like ukuleles. So I guess everyone's got a right to spend their money however they please. You's is just so happenly' makeup.

Though we discussed this about the wrinkles. Did the glue trick not work? Also thought you wasn't gettin' the eyebrows?
    I decided to get them. I HAVE to have them if I'm getting the prosthetic, and after looking at this picture, I Need that prosthetic (I just have to have the nose part professionally trimmed off).....

Would you mind making me a holster? I'm currently making a Booker outfit.