Thread: Is there any way to make the program run better for this machine?

Is there any way to make the program run better for this machine?

I foolishly bought the game on impulse without checking the specs, and after trying to play it I'm suspecting that may've been a mistake. It runs, but the with all graphical settings turned to their minimums the lag is so horrible I can't possibly play the game like this. I couldn't find my way out of the burning debris at the start at first because there was so much lag. After browsing the "vista" solutions and telling it to run with DirectX 9 and in XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode, and turned off tablets, it was good enough that I could at least navigate the game, but I still know I can't finish the game like this because it's not good enough for combat. I could care less about graphics, but is there anything I can possibly do to make the game run better on my computer without buying new cards? If not I'm afraid I may have to just uninstall and give it to somoene as a gift, and that'd be no fun at all.

HP Pavillion dv9500
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    32-bit Operating System
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 1982MB RAM
    DirectX 10
    NVidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M with approx total memory 793 MB

Err, that's all the information about my specs I'm smart enough to find. If you need any more, you're gonna have to walk me through getting it.

you can try the latest drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com

it probably wont make much difference though since the 7150M is actually slower than a 6600 which is the minimum just to run the game. 800x600 and all low settings would be the only way that game would be playable if at all.

So in other words, even if I had checked I still would have bought it and would have been unable to play, because the one component that's not good enough looks better than the minimum if you just look at the numbering system? How on earth does anyone keep track of these things? For that matter, why is 7150 worse than 6600?

Quote Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
    So in other words, even if I had checked I still would have bought it and would have been unable to play, because the one component that's not good enough looks better than the minimum if you just look at the numbering system? How on earth does anyone keep track of these things? For that matter, why is 7150 worse than 6600?
    well if you would have tried the demo first or asked first then you would have known. other than that the card numbers can be a little confusing.

just remember that the first number just represents the family or series. the second number tells you where the card is within that family. so if the second number is a 0,1,2,3 or 4 the card is going to be a low end card within that series. if the second number is a 5 or 6 then its basically a midrange card. if the second number is an 8 or 9 then its basically a higher end card.

usually a low end card from a new series of cards is still lower than the previous series midrange card. in other words a 7100, 7200, or 7300 is slower than a 6600. also a 8100, 8300, or 8400 is slower than a 7600. its really not that hard to figure out but its always best to google or ask about any card that you are curious about.

Oh. Well, now I know. Anyways, switching to 800 X 600 worked wonders, along with the other lowered sliders. It's pretty ugly, but I can play it just fine, and I can live with that I guess.