Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A message from the team about the visuals in BioShock PS3 (UPDATED on October 23rd)

Lightbulb A message from the team about the visuals in BioShock PS3 (UPDATED on October 23rd)

UPDATE (October 23):
    We have a download date for BioShock PS3's patch. It will be out as an automatic update on November 20th. The patch is still in the works, but when it's ready, I'll be posting the change log for you to check out. Thanks!

UPDATE (October 14):

Hey guys,
    I have good news from the dev team about a patch for BioShock PS3! They have been working on a patch to address the concerns some of you on the forum have talked about. As work is in progress I do not have a definite date for when this patch will be released as it needs to be tested and clear certification with Sony before it is scheduled and released. I do know this will not be until after the game’s launch, and I will update you with details on that date as I receive them.

I’ll be releasing the entire patch list when it’s all finalized, but for now I’m sure you’ll be happy to see that these two fixes are included:

Big Daddy Bouncer and Elite Bouncer Textures Appeared Pixelated
    Fix for an issue where large blocky pixels would show up whenever viewing the Bouncer and Elite Bouncer variants of the Big Daddy.

White Bars
    Fix for an issue where white/discolored bars would show up at the right and bottom sides of the screen during the plane crash / water scene at the beginning of the game.

I’m sure many of you are eager to see what Big Daddy looks like after this fix, so here are two screenshots of him in his patched glory!

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...addy_fixed.jpg

if you want to see the full-sized image of this, check it out here: http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture..._fixed_big.jpg

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...ddy_fixed2.jpg

if you want to see the full-sized image of this, check it out here: http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...fixed2_big.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi there,

Last Friday some of you expressed some concerns and asked me some questions about the BioShock demo, and how BioShock would look on the PS3. I promised that the team was looking into all the issues brought up on Friday, and now I am reporting back with the latest news. Everything below is directly from the team – they took the comparison screenshots for me and we talked at length about all of these issues, and those conversations are exactly what I am reporting to you now.

Many of you wondered about BioShock’s graphical performance on the PS3, and whether it was comparable to the 360 version. The team wanted BioShock to be the same experience on the PS3 as on the 360. Of course, the PS3 is a very different machine to code a game on, and so the team used a combination of optimization and filtering to maximize the overall visual experience of the game. These optimizations improved frame rate and added the slight “blur filter” that some of you have pointed out in comparison screenshots. This solution offered the best performance benefit with minimum visual cost or change from the 360 version.

When making the decision on how to balance game performance and visual quality, the team did a lot of research, which included looking at implementation strategies and gamer reactions for other games that had brought a title to the PS3. One of the major goals for the team in creating the PS3 version of BioShock was to match the visual experience of the 360.

Below are a few comparison screenshots of BioShock on both the 360 and PS3, taken by the team. I have included the Big Daddy texture that concerned so many of you on Friday. However, the Big Daddy texture is not a good measure for the entire PS3 experience, and so I have a handful of other comparison shots of the 360 and PS3 version of BioShock.

Another issue people asked about was the appearance of “white bars” when using certain settings on certain TV configurations. This is a legitimate bug, and we are currently working to fix this issue and plan on distributing that fix along with the Additional Content game update. For the short-term, some have recommended changing the TV’s overscan setting as a workaround.

Also, some of you asked about the resolution of BioShock PS3. The team decided to include 1080 support for the game specifically for the benefit of some older-model HDTVs that don’t correctly respond to 720 and force the user to play on 480 instead. Our 1080 implementation is a scaled version of what you see in 720p, so therefore, the discerning gamer may notice the visuals are a bit less sharp when compared to the 720 mode. We did investigate rendering to true 1080 mode, but were not able to support it given the game’s memory demands.

We believe the BioShock PS3 demo fairly represents the performance and user experience of the full BioShock PS3 game, and is an accurate representation of the final product. We will continue reading and looking into any new comments that come up on this forum. I hope this post and the following screenshots help clarify some of the questions asked last week. Again, thank you for your diligence and devotion to the game.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...n/bigdaddy.jpg

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...ison/floor.jpg

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...rison/gods.jpg

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture...son/sister.jpg

Note: These images were taken from the final game. There is a slight discrepancy in some shots because for the 360 version the images were taken before the patch was applied, which means they are using the original widescreen format, but the PS3 version ships with the 360 patch's widescreen change.
    Last edited by 2K Elizabeth; 10-23-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: updated the announcement.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to make a lengthy reply to the community. I think the PS3 version looks great! I am sure the reviewers will agree and that any bugs that exist will be fixed in short order.

So that confirms that there isn't and there will no be a fix for the bad texture on Big Daddy.

It's ok with the Blur if it improves the performance, but with the texture problems, it is unacceptable, and also what about the pop-in on some textures of the game?

As i said before, i don't know it the devs were pressured because of the time schedule, but the game still lacks polishing, and that WILL affect the game Experience unfortunately.

there will always be nitpickers out there to be sure but I think that 98% of true gamers wont notice any small graphical deficiencies that some are complaining about. No doubt Bioshock on the PS3 will be a great success. The screenshots clearly show that any differences are minor at best & quite likely unnoticeable to most people.

Reading the message from the team, you have the impression that there is no difference between the versions. However, they exist and are huge

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_02_360.png
    PS3
    http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_02_PS3.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_03_360.png
    PS3
    http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_03_PS3.png

360 version is sharper. Of course, you can't see this with those tiny pictures posted by the team. Anyway, we had the confirmation that the PS3 version will be blurry. And I really wanted to buy this game...

I think the graphics are fine but in all honesty why do I get the feeling that was a whole lot of talk while, really, not saying anything definitive.

I think you might have just pissed more people off.

Again, I think the graphics are fine and would never think about cancelling my game order over something so minor as a texture screw up. But, still...you guys keep blowing smoke, one day someone's just gonna float off....

Quote Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
    The screenshots clearly show that any differences are minor at best & quite likely unnoticeable to most people.
    That's not necessarily the most accurate assessment. Especially given Picolo Manolo's excellent screenshot comparisons (whether or not the 1080 vs 720 resolution plays a part in those, I don't know or understand that part of it). Obviously, people have noticed problems. Such as the Big Daddy textures. The screenshots don't highlight the problem areas already identified by demo players. You don't try to improve a running team performance by looking at the time of your fastest runner. You improve your running team performance by looking at the time of your slowest runner. I hope that analogy works! So in answering the fans, 2K should look at, and directly address, the problems already identified, such as those Big Daddy textures.

Oh, and I think, if anything, the amount of reaction should be taken as a good thing. Obviously people really care a lot about this game and want to enjoy it on the PS3. If it wasn't such a great game in the first place, people wouldn't be making such a fuss. So while the negative comments can be disheartening, I hope 2K can take them in stride while analyzing improvements that can be made at this stage.
    Last edited by Relight; 10-07-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Unhappy

Cancels Pre-Order ASAP!

I dont get it,didnt like almost 200 posters replied that the PS3 version suffers from two visuals problems..Its NOT the entire game that looks bad we see....the texture is there on the levels,we see less pop in than the 360 we see better water,color and lighting effects.

BUT

The 2KGames dev team doesnt see that we dont like or want a option for the blur filter effect?

lastly and a BIG PROBLEM the Big Daddys the star of the game,sticks out so much that his texture is soooo pixelated? I know the PS3 is a different coding but I highly doubt its hard to smooth and properly code the texture right for just one model.

The PS3 version looks so much improved but its going to be hard to ignore a character with PS1 textures...running around in the game!
    Last edited by Royal_Bear; 10-07-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Is there a second part to the response coming? Because while it addresses several issues (1080p upscaling, blur filter, white bars), it unfortunately failed to address one of the most pressing issues: Will the Big Daddy's texture be fixed? That question has been repeated over and over and we still haven't got a response. In fact, all that's been said of it is that it's not commonplace outside the instances in the demo, and yet the strength of that claim was weakened with direct-feed screenshots of other Big Daddies suffering from the same 10-year-old textures.

I appreciate that a fix for the white bar glitch will be patched in with the first wave of DLC content, but what of the texture problems? A technical explanation of whether a fix by patching is feasible would be appreciated. Other tech-heads seem to think so, and thus I suspect 2K could fix the Big Daddy textures. And fix, they must; Big Daddy is the face of the franchise, and the face shouldn't look like this:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...3/P1000762.jpg

A user at this thread claimed to have worked on the PS3 version of BioShock. His name is Disc, and he deleted all of his posts, but they still live on in the quotes of others. Now there's no way to prove he's telling the truth, BUT I can't help but suspect the situation he's describing is what happened here. Some quotes:

The port is stable now, no more random crashes from third party libraries and they are about wrapping up the port development over here.

But if this is all we're doing I regret I have to inform you that this isn't good enough, various parts of the game that could have been optimized for SPUs haven't been and because of that the port will end up with a lower framerate than the 360 version.

But it's still the same game.
    Sitting next to some of the PS3 devs *****ing that they aren't optimizing enough I'm busy on another project which these guys should have been working on.
    Problem was a lack of time and some problems with the people who previously worked on the port. There were too many bugs in the game that they had to clean up while porting so they didn't have all the time needed to optimize.

But we'll see, maybe the company politics will give them some more coding time.
    Sony provides a bit of support, they give tips on how to do the rendering quicker and so on. They sent a couple of guys over to one of our offices to talk about solutions. They are also improving their OS and SDK to help you out, virtual memory and reducing their OS footprint... it's a shame they have to.

Transferring code over to the SPUs is a diverse task and in my opinion it is something that Epic should do with more of their core systems (since this is an Unreal Engine Game). It's a shame.

Insomniac (with Resistance and Ninja Theory with Heavenly Sword and other exclusives) has a lot of their AI processing on the SPUs, which is something they obviously haven't been able to do on this port as that's quite a major task. If they had more time maybe.
    Again, I cannot prove Disc really worked on the game (or near it), but I think this is what happened. Essentially, more time was needed to optimize the PS3's SPUs. With more time, it would've turned out better, but I suppose it was important for 2K to get out BioShock PS3 in 2008 so that BioShock 2 will have 2009 all to itself. And that's understandable from a marketing perspective. I just hope the big problems -- Big Daddy especially -- get fixed.

So, back to waiting for the original question to be answered. Apparently we didn't ask enough times.

- Neiteio

EDIT: Is it possible this post can be deleted somehow? It's no longer necessary. I shouldn't really discuss things I didn't know about. It was a rant on the Big Daddy's but seeing as the Rosie also suffers from texture problems, it's no longer necessary.

Oh and the Big Daddy's may be the face of the franchise, but Rapture is the star of the show.
    Last edited by BioSoldier; 10-07-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Post isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Picolo Manolo View Post
    Reading the message from the team, you have the impression that there is no difference between the versions. However, they exist and are huge

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_02_360.png
    PS3
    http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_02_PS3.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_03_360.png
    PS3
    http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/Bio...emo_03_PS3.png

360 version is sharper. Of course, you can't see this with those tiny pictures posted by the team. Anyway, we had the confirmation that the PS3 version will be blurry. And I really wanted to buy this game...
    i do have the full-sized comparison shots, but i thought most of you would want to see them in the forum, so i had to be sure they wouldn't break the tables.

of course, what you say is right: the 360 does look marginally sharper. i would encourage everyone to play the demo and see for themselves if the slight blur change in the PS3 version ruins the game -- that's what demos are there for! they are test drives.

So Elizabeth gave you honest direct answers and now everyone is going to still throw a fit about it. At this point it would seem to me if you do not like the response don't buy the game.

I thought the post from Elizabeth was honest and direct which is all I want, I would rather have them say this is why it is the way it is instead of blowing smoke up my.... well you know.

She has stated there is a slight difference and yes there is a blur filter in place, she has stated that the Big Daddy texture is the exception and not the rule even providing another screenshot of a Big Daddy.

I am not saying at this point I have any real desire to purchase this version because I do know those "problems" would bother me and it would be hard for me to play. However I do commend 2k for at least being honest about the issues and what they will and won't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by BioSoldier View Post
    EDIT: Is it possible this post can be deleted somehow? It's no longer necessary. I shouldn't really discuss things I didn't know about. It was a rant on the Big Daddy's but seeing as the Rosie also suffers from texture problems, it's no longer necessary.

Oh and the Big Daddy's may be the face of the franchise, but Rapture is the star of the show.
    Rosie does not suffer texture problems, at least not when I checked the game today.

I'm still very much looking forward to playing the full game on my PS3, and as I said in the other thread, I will do so if the rest of the game is at least as stable as the demo. In all honesty, I've played the demo a dozen times and I think it's gorgeous (especially the beginning; the silly wet stone comparisons don't do the demo justice). But if I think speaking up can change it for the better, I'll speak.

I'd just love for Elizabeth to mention whether she thinks any future patches will improve the game's appearance in any way, aside from neutralizing the white bar issue that occurs for some. That's all I want to know. Well, that and a patch-in option for L1/R1 fire would make a lot of people happy.

In the end, I look forward to coming back here having played the game and discussing my first run through Rapture.
    Last edited by Neiteio; 10-07-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Rosie does not suffer texture problems, at least not when I checked the game today.
    Wait a minute, how do you explain this?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ock-OhNoes.jpg
    That is a Rosie, isn't it?

It would be excellent if we had the option to remove the "blur filter", but this is not going to happen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Picolo Manolo View Post
    It would be excellent if we had the option to remove the "blur filter", but this is not going to happen, right?
    It sounds like removing the blur filter would destabilize the framerate, so I don't think it's worth it. Still, I've been looking over the comparisons and the differences in sharpness seem marginal, and in some instances actually sensible on the PS3 (ex: the wet stone in the PS3 version doesn't look plasticy and laminated like on 360 -- it looks more natural).

I'm most concerned with the Big Daddy textures, which suffer not from blurring but something else. Also, still waiting for clarification on the Rosie. That screen, which is direct-feed and from people in possession of the retail build of the game, shows massive pixelation on the Rosie's porthole and muddy textures on the shoulder and canvas sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiteio View Post

I'm most concerned with the Big Daddy textures, which suffer not from blurring but something else. Also, still waiting for clarification on the Rosie. That screen, which is direct-feed and from people in possession of the retail build of the game, shows massive pixelation on the Rosie's porthole and muddy textures on the shoulder and canvas sleeve.

I'm not a developer, but I think those textures would be easy to fix, right?

Why can't you guys include real 1080p/1080i? If games like WipEout HD and Metal Gear Solid 4 can have it, and I do believe Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok, both run on Unreal 3, can have actual 1080 as well, why can't Bioshock? It doesn't make any sense, and it seems like you guys are just carding off an excuse. If more time is what you guys need, I really don't care. Have the more time. I'd much prefer a complete game. Especially a game that wasn't even supposed to exist, in the first place.

The same visual experience would have to be exactly like the 360. Give it to us. We'd much prefer waiting for that, than getting what we're being forced into accepting.

So according to 2K PS3 version is inferior in graphics when compared to other versions .

Quote Originally Posted by gameboy View Post
    So according to 2K PS3 version is inferior in graphics when compared to other versions .
    The way I read it, 2K says the PS3 version looks exactly the same and we are apparently bat-**** insane.

Quote Originally Posted by M_B View Post
    Why can't you guys include real 1080p/1080i? If games like WipEout HD and Metal Gear Solid 4 can have it, and I do believe Unreal Tournament 3 and Turok, both run on Unreal 3, can have actual 1080 as well, why can't Bioshock? It doesn't make any sense, and it seems like you guys are just carding off an excuse. If more time is what you guys need, I really don't care. Have the more time. I'd much prefer a complete game. Especially a game that wasn't even supposed to exist, in the first place.

The same visual experience would have to be exactly like the 360. Give it to us. We'd much prefer waiting for that, than getting what we're being forced into accepting.
    For better or worse, the game has already gone gold, meaning the code is finished and a factory somewhere is printing the game as we speak. The question is, to what degree can patches restore the graphical qualtiy of the game? That's what people would like to know. It seems like they could patch in a new Big Daddy texture with a line of code telling the game to override the old texture. I suspect some textures are bound up with the 5 gig mandatory install, so maybe it'd simply modify something already on the PS3's harddrive. I don't know, I'm not a technical person either, but others are and it sounds doable.

This is all so silly. I applaud Neiteio for being civil and well-spoken about these concerns. But I would say that this is whole situation is like if Citizen Kane came out on Blu Ray for the first time (and yes, I firmly believe that Bioshock is gaming's Citizen Kane) and due to some weird glitches in the transfer there are a couple video anomalies for a few seconds that cause those brief moments to look worse than the DVD version. But this hypothetical Bluray also came with some long lost deleted scenes and other cool bonus features.

I can't conceive of the video community being so up in arms about something so minor when the overall quality is still outstanding and they are still getting the greatest example of their medium in a new format for the first time. Moreoever, they are getting some all new content that people have wanted to see for years (I have been pining to see the carnival level since i first heard about it getting cut) I think this would make even the most hardened video afficiando able to look past a couple of minor glitches. It is only the gaming community that seems to have these weird neuroses and can't see the big picture.

The way I read it, 2K says the PS3 version looks exactly the same and we are apparently bat-**** insane.
    but after looking at the pictures I think what they said is not right.

If it means patching it later on, that's just as fine. I just really don't want this blurriness. The textures really don't annoy me all too much in comparison. I just want crisp HD. Don't use the blur filter. I got by fine without them in the PC version as it is.

If it means patching it later on, that's just as fine. I just really don't want this blurriness. The textures really don't annoy me all too much in comparison. I just want crisp HD. Don't use the blur filter. I got by fine without them in the PC version as it is.
    You are right ,if they could give crisp HD that would be great. But I think this is a rent game for PS3.

i'm sorry if i didn't explain this well enough in the original post, but it's not just a blur "filter" applied to the graphics. based on how this game works with the PS3 hardware, and our desire to make the best graphics without sacrificing gameplay or framerate, these graphics are what resulted. when compared to the 360, you will notice it looks slightly "blurred" but this is not a simple blur "filter" that we overlayed on the graphics. it is just a result of how we developed the game on this new and unique piece of hardware, trying to keep framerate, gameplay, and graphics optimal and true to the game's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyburz View Post
    It is only the gaming community that seems to have these weird neuroses and can't see the big picture.
    But...You see...It's a video game.

i'm sorry if i didn't explain this well enough in the original post, but it's not just a blur "filter" applied to the graphics. based on how this game works with the PS3 hardware, and our desire to make the best graphics without sacrificing gameplay or framerate, these graphics are what resulted. when compared to the 360, you will notice it looks slightly "blurred" but this is not a simple blur "filter" that we overlayed on the graphics. it is just a result of how we developed the game on this new and unique piece of hardware, trying to keep framerate, gameplay, and graphics optimal and true to the game's vision.
    alright, it sounds good I guess. perhaps it seems like i'm more furious than anything else, which i don't want to convey, i'm just a resolution *****.

so, that said, all I want to know, i don't care about the texture anomalies, and thank you for explaining the blur(though it's my own fault, it was very well explained prior), is whether or not we will get, if at least in the form of a patch, 1080p that's not scaled. well, will we?

But...You see...It's a video game.
    Yes, but contrary to what one would think after reading some of the forum posts lately, playing videogames should not inherently imply that one is neurotic.

alright, it sounds good I guess. perhaps it seems like i'm more furious than anything else, which i don't want to convey, i'm just a resolution *****.

so, that said, all I want to know, i don't care about the texture anomalies, and thank you for explaining the blur(though it's my own fault, it was very well explained prior), is whether or not we will get, if at least in the form of a patch, 1080p that's not scaled. well, will we?
    not at this point in time, i would have included that in my post if it were the case.

Ah, that makes much more sense. So it wouldn't be possible then to have an on/off switch for the filter, because it's not a filter but the result of processes intrinsically bound up in the game's DNA. That, I can understand.

If you don't mind me asking again, though, what about the Big Daddy textures? Could a patch swap in some new ones, or revise some processes that are causing them to display incorrectly in areas? And what about possibly adding an alternate control scheme option for those not comfortable using L2/R2 to shoot?

And another question, one not related to graphics. I'm confused as to the nature of the extra content. Are there any Challenge Room challenges already on the disk, or are they all DLC? And if they are DLC, is there an additional charge? I'm assuming the Challenge Rooms are free since they're being billed as a new feature of the PS3 version. Any clarification toward the nature of these rooms (disk or DLC? free or extra charge?) would be appreciated.

Ok I was "hidding" in the shadows watching for all complaints and waiting for an official response.I just finished my 6th run on the demo before coming here.

It seems my thoughts were correct,the Blur filter is there to help framerate and after replaying the demo some times the blur filter doesn't bother me at all,plus if it keeps a nice framerate it's welcome framerate issues can break a game so in that order it was the correct choice to use it then,the demo is gorgeous the most amazing demo I've played through Psn so far.

I'm playing it perfectly on my tv at 720p and it looks very nice,I've had no white borders or anything like that but since it's been checked and confirmed as a bug a patch for that is necessary to the people that get that problem.

The only thing I'd like to see improved is indeed the Big Daddys,if it's only the one dead on the stairs above the hall that leads to neptune and medical center it's all good,but if most or all big daddy's have those low textures it's really a shame and a patch that solves the problem should be done no matter what( it can't be that hard)after that it's ace in my opinion.

2k has proven to be in contact with the fans and forum members wich is something that can't be said about a lot of other devs out there,I love you guys <3

I was sure already to pick this up day1 anyway,still I pray you put out a patch to correct them Daddys if not.. sad =\

You owe us one 2k.Why don't you start coding Bioshock 2 on the ps3 now to see if them 360 guys like that after? lol just messing around cause then you'll have the same commotion around here when the 360 users get angry.

But get us a nice limited edition Steelbook and a cool sculpure or so like the 360 that got a big daddy,wish I could have one

All in all.. Cheers!!

Ah, that makes much more sense. So it wouldn't be possible then to have an on/off switch for the filter, because it's not a filter but the result of processes intrinsically bound up in the game's DNA. That, I can understand.

If you don't mind me asking again, though, what about the Big Daddy textures? Could a patch swap in some new ones, or revise some processes that are causing them to display incorrectly in areas? And what about possibly adding an alternate control scheme option for those not comfortable using L2/R2 to shoot?

And another question, one not related to graphics. I'm confused as to the nature of the extra content. Are there any Challenge Room challenges already on the disk, or are they all DLC? And if they are DLC, is there an additional charge? I'm assuming the Challenge Rooms are free since they're being billed as a new feature of the PS3 version. Any clarification toward the nature of these rooms (disk or DLC? free or extra charge?) would be appreciated.
    you have a bunch of questions, not all of which i can answer tonight, but they will be answered soon. i do have an answer to the L2/R2 but it's at the office -- and i'm at home now, so please give me time to get my eloquent and fully formed reply rather than doing it on the fly on my couch.

as for challenge rooms, they are not on the disk. they are add-on content that will need to be downloaded, as they are truly added-on after the main game. all other particulars about them are not yet announced.

finally, about Big Daddy, again, as of right now what i wrote is the latest and most accurate information. i assure you if the dev team comes up with anything else, i'll report it to you, but for now, this is all i've got.

you have a bunch of questions, not all of which i can answer tonight, but they will be answered soon. i do have an answer to the L2/R2 but it's at the office -- and i'm at home now, so please give me time to get my eloquent and fully formed reply rather than doing it on the fly on my couch.

as for challenge rooms, they are not on the disk. they are add-on content that will need to be downloaded, as they are truly added-on after the main game. all other particulars about them are not yet announced.

finally, about Big Daddy, again, as of right now what i wrote is the latest and most accurate information. i assure you if the dev team comes up with anything else, i'll report it to you, but for now, this is all i've got.
    Alright, I'll sit tight and wait for answers. I hope you don't begrudge me for my questions; I'm trying to embody the voice of the people in the most civil and productive way possible, and sometimes that involves repeating questions until their existence is acknowledged.

It should be said, though, that a charge for the DLC probably won't sit well with people. It'll diminish the sense that the extra content is making up for the game's technical shortcomings.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more from you and the dev team.

thanks liz for putting up with us and answering our questions, really appreciate it

Props

Alright, I'll sit tight and wait for answers. I hope you don't begrudge me for my questions; I'm trying to embody the voice of the people in the most civil and productive way possible, and sometimes that involves repeating questions until their existence is acknowledged.

It should be said, though, that a charge for the DLC probably won't sit well with people. It'll diminish the sense that the extra content is making up for the game's technical shortcomings.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing more from you and the dev team.
    Nieteio,

I have been following the discussion on the PS3 Bioshock for a while and I just want to commend you for your articulate advocacy for us PS3 users. I share the same concerns you mentioned, especially with respect to the Big Daddy textures.

I hope that 2K does indeed release some kind of a patch to clean up the textures, including those in the kitchen area, as well as other areas of the game that, thus far, we haven't yet been able to play (for obvious reasons). I am not a game designer nor a technical person, so I don't know if it's even feasible, but if it's possible, it would make me - and many others - feel a hell of a lot better about the PS3 Bioshock experience.

In closing, I just wanted to give you a shout-out for airing your concerns with respect and intelligence.

Elizabeth and what can you tell us about the framerate issue on the demo? There is some framerete drop when you walk in a big area, one of the best thing in the 360 version was the very stable framerate, but if you see some video the PS3 versione have a lower framerate (in particular when the big daddy kill the guys in the demo). You will improve with a patch or what? There will be a V-Sync on/off opion as the 360/PC version?

It should be said, though, that a charge for the DLC probably won't sit well with people.
    I hope 2K Elizabeth will correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that the exclusive PS3 DLC would be free. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a direct link stating as such--I just searched around and couldn't find one to show you.

I did find one paranoid online article that tried to suggest they would cost extra simply because they were described as "separate downloadable content" rather than being on the game disc. I can say for a fact that from the first moment they were mentioned, they were described as DLC and not part of the game disc.

And I'll add my kudos, Neiteio, for the way you've handled yourself recently. Having a reasoned discussion is so much easier than dealing with the emotional, hyperbolic rants that normally accompany a situation like this.

Not being a console gamer myself, and not discounting any really obvious pixelated textures, I have to wonder when looking at so many of the 360/PS3 comparison shots---would people be complaining at all if the 360 version didn't exist? By themselves, although slightly blurrier by comparison, the PS3 screens look beautiful to me. Many people state that the 360 screens look great by comparison. But if I compare them to my PC screens, the 360 screens now look bad. Does that suddenly make the 360 version unplayable?

I'm not posing the question to anyone in particular. And I'm not expecting an answer. It's just a rhetorical question, and I suppose its all about perspective and expectation.

2k Elizabeth do you know what exactly has been applied that resulted to the "blurry" filter to improve performance? Provided that you are allowed by NDA to talk about it ofcourse.

I find this rather strange since textures of nearby objects look almost identical if not identical since the bluriness hides details that are farther to the distance more.

That said I think people are overreacting over the blurry image. I compared my PC version with the PS3 demo on my ****py old TV, and to my surprise the PS3 demo didnt look as blurred as suggested by the screenshots. Not to mention that I may not have noticed the blur at all.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast