Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Within

XCOM: Enemy Within

I know there is a thread vaguely on this already, but its surely important enough to have it's own dedicated thread for all information / news on the upcoming DLC/expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

What we know so far:

- Due to be announced on Tuesday 20th August 2013
    - 30 new achievements have appeared on Steam
    - Reported to be called XCOM: Enemy Within
    - Definitely an expansion to XCOM rather than standalone

Fantastic news! I have stopped playin xcom ages ago. There are only so many times you can play the same thing over, without something new to keep you going.... I pop back into the forums to see if there is any new news from time to time. Sounds like it might be time to dust off the plasma rifle again

The announcement will be on 21st August at the Gamescom in Cologne/Germany as far as I know.

I would consider to go there actually, since it is not that far away from me, but apparently only press people etc. may enter on that day. Oh well.

3... more... weeks.... must... get... my.... fix.... nowhr...

What are all the people who made threads for the last 6 months whining about no new content going to do now?!

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBloodFireDeath View Post
    What are all the people who made threads for the last 6 months whining about no new content going to do now?!
    Ohh don't worry. They'll find something...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottgun View Post
    Ohh don't worry. They'll find something...
    They will find something wrong with the new content, and whine about there being no TFTD / Micromanagement / base defense.

Then Firaxis will introduce those, and everyone will ☺☺☺☺☺ about how they did it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanmcleod View Post
    Hi,

why do you think so? I would have expected it to be a stand alone as it was first reported on a South Korean homepage which cares about the age classification of games. Is this done with DLC's as well? By the way - this would be like with the OG - Terror from the Deep was released just a year after Enemy Unknown...

I'd be pretty happy of it was a DLC though.

same eejits will whinge about something new dude

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    Fantastic news! I have stopped playin xcom ages ago. There are only so many times you can play the same thing over, without something new to keep you going.... I pop back into the forums to see if there is any new news from time to time. Sounds like it might be time to dust off the plasma rifle again
    Great stuff! Let's hope there are tons of maps with it - or better still, a procedural generator. Seriously Firaxis, this game with unlimited maps has all the potential to become my 'go to' game for a very long time indeed.

Good that you can dust off your plasma rifle, Dazz. I seem to have lost mine...

sources would be nice instead of "has been reported to be", even if that name was heard of since that teaser trailer.

Whine about the new content, obv.

Let's hope they've done something about the awful Geoscape system...

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    Let's hope they've done something about the awful Geoscape system...
    Which awful Geoscape system?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanmcleod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsi-man View Post
    Hi,

why do you think so?
    Because the new achievements have appeared under the Enemy Unknown game.

I'm happy with it. Like they made Civ5 a lot better with Brave New World dlc, compare with the vanilla release.

After beating the game in Classic difficulty and Ironman mode with all Second Wave options on, I have not gone back to it. Just been waiting for new content and hope its awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Which awful Geoscape system?
    To be fair, the current geoscape setup is a little on the underwhelming side.

And what will those guys do that endlessly explain away everything about the game, they'll keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    No disputing that here - I was simply asking which system in the Geoscape CFBD thought was awful.

I know I'd like a deeper strategy layer, but have never been able to articulate exactly what I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by 3asytarg3t View Post
    And what will those guys do that endlessly explain away everything about the game, they'll keep at it.
    And the people who cling to hyperbole will continue to be unable to communicate effectively. The world keeps turning, eh?

I think taking nods from the original can work if handled right. I've seen criticism that it doesn't feel like you have an active opponent, which the originals at the very least did a good job of making it feel like the aliens were reacting to your actions. Heck, I enjoyed the ability to look at the graphs of reported activities, scout, and find some UFOs or even a base.

Also, slow down the thing down with different time scales. Yeah, sometimes I want to get to the next mission asap, but sometimes, in the original, I liked using the 30 minute scale. Helped break up the constant threat a little. Mainly atmosphere I guess.

Little things like that could really enhance the issues the geoscape had in EU, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    Great stuff! Let's hope there are tons of maps with it - or better still, a procedural generator. Seriously Firaxis, this game with unlimited maps has all the potential to become my 'go to' game for a very long time indeed.

Good that you can dust off your plasma rifle, Dazz. I seem to have lost mine...
    Ah yes, found mine and it appears its not only dusty but rusty First mission I loaded entire squad dead... Ah That's xcom baby!

I need to find my save game with all the original forum super members, I think SectoidSquisher was my uber sniper from memory

That's what makes starting over so nice after a while - you really need to stretch a bit to get back into form. With Ironman that never gets old, especially if you vary the 2nd wave options a bit.

Last year Jake said "no way" to TFTD - but i'd be happy to see some optional missions take place underwater (or in other hostile environments).

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl. Hicks View Post
    That's what makes starting over so nice after a while - you really need to stretch a bit to get back into form. With Ironman that never gets old, especially if you vary the 2nd wave options a bit.

Last year Jake said "no way" to TFTD - but i'd be happy to see some optional missions take place underwater (or in other hostile environments).
    Frankly, if they were going to imitate an old X-com, I'd rather it be Apocalypse. Since it is supposedly called "Enemy Within", it makes me wonder if it pits you against humans that have thrown their lot in with the aliens like the Cult of Sirius. Either that, or my other guess is the game assumes the defeat ending, the aliens have taken over, and X-com are the holdouts like the 2nd Massachusetts in Falling Skies.

Very excited... So many new achievements added to steam must mean a substantial expansion... + the fact that they already been uploaded to steam, to me suggests that the release cannot be far away! Fingers crossed pre-Oct...

Still my favourite game of the past 2 years!

+ for the love of all things alien and slimy.... Please release some more multiplayer maps... Or mod options for map creation..... Pleaseeeeee! Make it so!

new customisations and voice or ability to mod voices would be awesome!

It might be out as early as late August... 2K Games pretty much needed BNW and the "other XCOM" out of the Marketing pipeline before they could plug in the EW expansion.

Achievements in Steam mean that they could trigger the sale at any moment, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl. Hicks View Post

Regarding hostile environments, I really wanted to attack the alien base on Mars like in the OG. In fact I was disappointed when I saw that the Temple Ship mission would be the last mission of the game, I hoped before that still that there may be some mission on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Which (awful) Geoscape system?
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    Yep - everything about it pretty much. It's just a beautiful, but useless bauble.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    Ah yes, found mine and it appears its not only dusty but rusty First mission I loaded entire squad dead... Ah That's xcom baby!

I need to find my save game with all the original forum super members, I think SectoidSquisher was my uber sniper from memory
    Heh, heh; I'm honoured.

...asks someone before a single lonely fact is known about what's coming.

But apparently you're so happy about an announcement about an announcement about something as of yet undefinied that you feel it necessary to make that statement. If you've got the money itchies, look for a local charity, spend it there.

As far as I'm concerned, I will remain sceptical of what's coming until it's coming, and then I'm going to judge it for myself - not based on the fact that something was delivered, nor on the fact that it wasn't delivered earlier, but based on the quality of what's been delivered.

I just hope they address some of the numerous issues that remain and perhaps finally allow free modding (including sizechanging changes!) of the upk files as well as a map editor. That way, at least the community can finally start fixing some of the stuff they can't be bothered with.

As far as I'm concerned, I will remain sceptical of what's coming until it's coming, and then I'm going to judge it for myself - not based on the fact that something was delivered, nor on the fact that it wasn't delivered earlier, but based on the quality of what's been delivered.
    Perhaps you have been lurking awhile, but in case you are new here, Celtic's comment is not a jab at people who adopt a perfectly reasonable "wait and see" approach like you hold, but rather at the "I'm taking my ball and going home because 2k isn't catering to my hobbyhorse, but I'll still hang around the forum trying to convince people what an awful game this is" types.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottgun View Post
    Perhaps you have been lurking awhile, but in case you are new here, Celtic's comment is not a jab at people who adopt a perfectly reasonable "wait and see" approach like you hold, but rather at the "I'm taking my ball and going home because 2k isn't catering to my hobbyhorse, but I'll still hang around the forum trying to convince people what an awful game this is" types.
    Which is a jab I don't quite understand. If you buy a game, it's an investment. You can't unbuy the game, especially with steam. So if people, after a certain time, realize that the game barely uses its potential and they can see what the game could be, why shouldn't they try to encourage the devs to take care of the game?
    Why shouldn't they find a flaw in a lack of dev/publisher-consumer interaction and a no-information zone?
    So if people bet on this XCOM horse and wait for one hell of a ride, why shouldn't they keep looking, why shouldn't they keep mentioning that something should happen - instead of letting the game waste away?

You're enthusiastic about something, but all you see is lost potential and roads not taken. So you ask, then you beg, and if no one replies, you get frustrated and complain. Is that bad? It's human.

I've been lurking around ever since the start, I just didn't bother to post complaints, I did that internally. So many possibilities, so many things that could've been stellar, and they're all left to die. I've enjoyed the first x-com playthrough, then I made my own x-com mod and got a bit enjoyment from the changes in the gameplay, and then I came across all those limitations and I haven't touched x-com since then, because I can't enjoy it anymore since I notice more and more of wasted potential that draws me out of the game. That's 8 months now. So if other people couldn't keep their complaints too themselves, surely I of all people would understand.

So I dread to hope for what comes, because I'd like to hope for the best, I fear for the worst, but knowing company policies and judging from 2k's consumer policies I know it'll probably be in between. A few fresh new ideas that could be great and so many more unused potential that makes me unable to enjoy it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by kuraiken View Post
    ...asks someone before a single lonely fact is known about what's coming.

But apparently you're so happy about an announcement about an announcement about something as of yet undefinied that you feel it necessary to make that statement. If you've got the money itchies, look for a local charity, spend it there.

I just hope they address some of the numerous issues that remain and perhaps finally allow free modding (including sizechanging changes!) of the upk files as well as a map editor. That way, at least the community can finally start fixing some of the stuff they can't be bothered with.
    So the answer to my question is "they're going to complain about people making jokes about them not being able to complain about a lack of new content anymore", gotcha.

Being added to the existing Steam achievements leads one to believe it'll be DLC expansion.

Don't care.

WANT.

So the answer to my question is "they're going to complain about people making jokes about them not being able to complain about a lack of new content anymore", gotcha.
    Nice attempt at generalisation. It wasn't your first, was it?
    As much as you'd like to attribute the kingly "we" to me, I just can't consider myself to be plural.
    Also, seeing as the post you cited is my first in this forum, I do wonder how I could have ever before complained about anything at all on this board?

But yes, by all means, let's take one person, group them into a category of people to which we attribute a single characteristic element, preferably in a derogatory manner!

Let's see how hard this is:
    "So you're the kind of person that just can't win in any reasonable discussion? Baffled and confounded by an argument that contains more than general unquestioned narrow-minded opinions you retreat in haste to the last resort in your sizeable arsenal of rhetorical devices: The Generalisation. Because it's so much easier to be right if you simplify the opponent and his argument to a single characteristic element, that you just so happen to be able to deal with in a roundabout way."
    Now, I'm in no way an expert of your expertise, but I think that wasn't too shabby for my first try.

Quote Originally Posted by kuraiken View Post
    Nice attempt at generalisation. It wasn't your first, was it?
    As much as you'd like to attribute the kingly "we" to me, I just can't consider myself to be plural.
    Also, seeing as the post you cited is my first in this forum, I do wonder how I could have ever before complained about anything at all on this board?

But yes, by all means, let's take one person, group them into a category of people to which we attribute a single characteristic element, preferably in a derogatory manner!

Let's see how hard this is:
    "So you're the kind of person that just can't win in any reasonable discussion? Baffled and confounded by an argument that contains more than general unquestioned narrow-minded opinions you retreat in haste to the last resort in your sizeable arsenal of rhetorical devices: The Generalisation. Because it's so much easier to be right if you simplify the opponent and his argument to a single characteristic element, that you just so happen to be able to deal with in a roundabout way."
    Now, I'm in no way an expert of your expertise, but I think that wasn't too shabby for my first try.
    Holy shoulderchips batman!

Why are you so annoyed at him? I'm just curious.

This thread is not about the people who want to complain about the lack of announced DLC content so get back to the actual topic everyone.

So, it's been almost a yeas since I posted at this forum. So I drop by to check out the Bureau and what do I find here, more XCOM:EU content upcoming, YAY!
    Btw. Greetings to all you old farts out there that did occupy this forum the months before the last release.

With less than a year since release I don't have any high expectations, more maps and more story(Slingshot like) is what I expect. I'd be really surprised if they threw in a Map Creator tool or any big changes in the Geoscape layer.

They have to address the lack of multiplayer support. If this game was supported properly from the "get go", it could of had the "legs" that Civ Rev had/has.

I doubt a random map generator would work for a game like this, but it would be fantastic if it did.

The game needs:

New Maps

New Units

New Story

And most of all --- MULTIPLAYER FOCUS!!!

I have decieded to just stay quiet and sit and wait and see what happens about this annoucment on the 21st - i hope for many many things but i am not going to be drawn in by the hype machine like last time and left feeling under whelmed.
    The last few months of saying nothing has not warmed my heart to firaxis either - i just hope they have really listened to what the xcom fans want and deliver and give us what we want.

want to see:

a huge ammount of new maps (including new enviroment - i.e snow - dessert - ice - sea etc)

some new alien types

more types of terror missions and special missions - i.e rescue missions - covert missions -

new tech trees and abilitys

improved ufo combat

base invasions

new weapons and equpment

Make sure all things broken from the first game are completely fixed and work correctly.

for a expantion any less than this i will be dissapointed?

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch80 View Post
    They have to address the lack of multiplayer support. If this game was supported properly from the "get go", it could of had the "legs" that Civ Rev had/has.

I doubt a random map generator would work for a game like this, but it would be fantastic if it did.

The game needs:

New Maps

New Units

New Story

And most of all --- MULTIPLAYER FOCUS!!!
    different strokes I guess because I disagree with all of that. New units maybe, perhaps a Foundry project for a Melee SHIV but good god, the last thing games need these days is even more of a "multiplayer focus"

Quote Originally Posted by GRV01 View Post
    different strokes I guess because I disagree with all of that. New units maybe, perhaps a Foundry project for a Melee SHIV but good god, the last thing games need these days is even more of a "multiplayer focus"
    I'd like some more love for SHIVs in general. Like, I dunno, gear like you can put on a soldier. Also second the dislike of multiplayer focus. Excessive multiplayer emphasis is one of the myriad of cancers killing gaming.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast