Thread: Bioshock Infinite crash on startup. Please Help.

Bioshock Infinite crash on startup. Please Help.

Hi,

I have had Bioshock Infinite installed since release and I completed the game within a few days of release, I then didn't play it for quite some time, but recently with the announcement of the Burial at Sea DLC I decided to play it again. I got a good amount of the way through the game when the game suddenly crashed and when I tried to play it again it just crashed after the intro movies, I did a lot of searching on the web and tried many things like verifying integrity of game cache in steam, running steam in offline mode, updating video card drivers, deleting and re-installing the game and disabling intro movies in the steam launch options, when the intro movies are off it brings me straight to a black screen with the Irrational Games logo at the bottom centre of the screen it then just turns my screen black and the game crashes and I get this windows error saying Bioshock Infinite has stopped working with this stuff:

Problem Signature:
    Problem Event name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: BioshockInfinite.exe
    Application Version: 1.1.22.55730
    Application Timestamp: 51fabf21
    Fault Module Name: BioshockInfinite.exe
    Fault Module Version 1.1.22.55730
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0068169d
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153
    Additional Information 1: 0bc0
    Additional Information 2: 0bc067b8771d8050acec8bbb329f068a
    Additional Information 3: 48c4
    Additional Information 4: 48c42e14fd0332f977d4afba86464988

When I try to copy and paste that information I get this:

Rendering thread exception:
    Fatal error!

Stack trace:
    AK::MemoryMgr::SetPoolName() Address = 0xa8169d (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]
    Address = 0x6132d6 (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]
    Address = 0x7ea58a (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]
    Address = 0x5cfba8 (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]
    Address = 0x5a1bf8 (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]
    GetOutermost() Address = 0xdad62a (filename not found) [in F:\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\Binaries\Win32\BioShockInfinite.exe]

Sometimes if I run the game in windowed mode from the launch options when it crashes I see an error that says something along the lines of "Nvidia display card driver stopped responding and has succesfully recovered." I have tried updating drivers to fix this but to no avail.

Also sometimes when I run it in windowed mode when I get to the point where it usually crashes my screen goes black for a moment and when it comes back the window is still open but completely white and I can't close it and when I end the task in task manager it gives me this info:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: BioShockInfinite.exe
    Application Version: 1.1.22.55730
    Application Timestamp: 51fabf21
    Hang Signature: deba
    Hang Type: 6144
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153
    Additional Hang Signature 1: debadc24e6910c1772c559d01a20d90a
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 9206
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 92062e82c4244adb0852392182144e68
    Additional Hang Signature 4: deba
    Additional Hang Signature 5: debadc24e6910c1772c559d01a20d90a
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 9206
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 92062e82c4244adb0852392182144e68

Aside from these issues I have never had any issues with Bioshock Infinite such as stuttering or random in game crashes. I am really looking forward to the Burial at Sea DLC and hope this will be fixed by then so I can play it.

Here are my PC specs: Intel I7 3770k, Geforce GTX 690, 16gb RAM, ASRock z77 professional motherboard, 120gb SSD and 1tb HDD which all my steam games including Bioshock Infinite are installed on.

Have you made any changes to the folders in your user account folder? Specifically this folder C:\Users\"your user name"\My Documents\. The game saves configuration files in this folder, and will not run without them.

I changed the location destination for these folders to the old locations on my storage drive from my old computer. In the process I deleted the original folders in my user directory, figuring I didn't need them anymore. This caused the game to crash, because it couldn't find the config files. I ended up deleting and recreating my User account to recreate the default user folders. If the "My Documents" shortcut is still in your user folder; you may be able to just point it back to the original directory.

Thanks for the reply man, I saw this suggested on other forums as well and it seemed to work for other people but for me what worked was disabling SLI (shoutout to Jeremy from 2k support, helpful guy)