Thread: Plasmids and Gene splicing

Red face Plasmids and Gene splicing

ok so I am taking a Biology Honors Exam and one of the questions was to explain the effects of gene splicing and how plasmids are used to create more DNA. It obviously reminded me of BioShock. Can someone explain what exactly all that is?
    thanks

**I just joined***

so far looks like a great community

are there signatures?
    Last edited by Jacknjack56; 12-18-2008 at 11:03 PM.

welcome, and to answer your question, no there are not, but some members have them, (like one of the best on the forum, mari, always puts ~mari at the end of every post) and i can't really answer your question about the biology stuff sorry :P

Quote Originally Posted by smartalec5595 View Post
    welcome, and to answer your question, no there are not, but some members have them, (like one of the best on the forum, mari, always puts ~mari at the end of every post) and i can't really answer your question about the biology stuff sorry :P
    *Smacks head*
    Jeez, Smarty, leave all the technical stuff to me. lol, just messing.
    Jacknjack56 (cool name )
    Welcome to your new home, enjoy your stay.
    I found a couple articles about gene splicing. Here they are:
    Click this
    And this
    Hope this helps!

Wow, we just talked about this in ap biology. If you want I could post some notes about it.

Welcome to the forums Jack

lol yeah we have been talking about splicing and plasmids too in my uni lectures for Genetics. A plasmid is an extra piece of chromosomal DNA, cabable of replication and able to be transferred, normally found in bacteria as circular DNA but do not encode genes. How its used to create more DNA gets into talking about gene cloning, using them as vectors etc.

Splicing we talked about quite recently. Its removing sections from a strand of mRNA (called introns) which do not encode genes to leave only the exons (which do encode genes) in the strand. They are 'spliced' out and are not present in the mature strand of mRNA (complementary copy strand from the DNA template)

In the game of course plasmids are a completely different thing and splicing is just taking too much ADAM causing them to go insane, deform etc. Dont know if you were actually asking for an explanation to what those actually were but i gave it anyway lol. I enjoy Genetics, shame it can be really confusing and quite difficult at times (hope i have done ok in my exam)..

Hmm I wonder if a plasmid is actually possible. I have a few theories in mind but I don't know if they would work or not...

Quote Originally Posted by GerbilUSA View Post
    Hmm I wonder if a plasmid is actually possible. I have a few theories in mind but I don't know if they would work or not...
    you should tell us that would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    Wow, we just talked about this in ap biology. If you want I could post some notes about it.
    could ya do that for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas. View Post
    Welcome to the forums Jack

lol yeah we have been talking about splicing and plasmids too in my uni lectures for Genetics. A plasmid is an extra piece of chromosomal DNA, cabable of replication and able to be transferred, normally found in bacteria as circular DNA but do not encode genes. How its used to create more DNA gets into talking about gene cloning, using them as vectors etc.

Splicing we talked about quite recently. Its removing sections from a strand of mRNA (called introns) which do not encode genes to leave only the exons (which do encode genes) in the strand. They are 'spliced' out and are not present in the mature strand of mRNA (complementary copy strand from the DNA template)

In the game of course plasmids are a completely different thing and splicing is just taking too much ADAM causing them to go insane, deform etc. Dont know if you were actually asking for an explanation to what those actually were but i gave it anyway lol. I enjoy Genetics, shame it can be really confusing and quite difficult at times (hope i have done ok in my exam)..
    I got a 91 on my exam! im so happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jacknjack56 View Post
    I got a 91 on my exam! im so happy
    Nice work, congrats

Dont think i did very well in mine Unfortunately wasnt a question on splicing... would have been able to answer that. Had to leave several questions blank cause i had no clue what it was on about lol. I only remember now a few of the questions out of the 20 and the 2 essay questions i did, the rest i have completely forgotten now

Quote Originally Posted by thrall23 View Post
    you should tell us that would be cool
    Well one idea that I had was that you could program stem cells to become a gland of some sort to produce certain chemicals, and other stem cells could be used to make muscles to control them. Take this bug for instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle It naturally produces an exploding and burning mixture, and can naturally control it. If you could make this cooperate with the human body, you would have a simple plasmid. Though there is still many issues with this, as getting it to become connected to the brain effectively would be very challenging.