Thread: Burial at sea - Possible explanation

Burial at sea - Possible explanation

Now we've all seen the trailer and posters we have a bunch of theories but very little when it comes to hard facts.
    So in that spirit I will try to keep my theory as down as possible and if possible in accord with what we know about Infinite Multiverse.

Elizabeth/Anna and Booker are they the same as the ones we know?
    Now most of us expect this to be sort of continuation of Columbias story. However I have to ask why?
    We know Booker has AD on his hand correct? And We know that this Elizabeth is looking exactly same as ours Elizabeth except for clothes and haircut. Some say she is older but I have to ask myself if that isn't merely because of different haircut and more mature makeup and clothes.

You know opinion on how should girls in their late teens/early twenties dress was very different in 1912 and 1957. Not to mention the highly religious population of Columbia probably would have very different opinion on the matter than highly secular society of Rapture.

OF course the AD is still unexplained. But think about what Liz says during epilog: ..here's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city. Or something like that.

There are INFINITE Columbias and therefore INFINITE possibilities, it is not that hard to imagine that in some Rapture happened story similar to that of Columbia.
    What if Booker we find in Rapture sold his daughter for some sort of ADAM related testing? He then carved AD on his hand and continued to live as private investigator.
    Of course there is a matter of Elizabeths age. But Rapture had technology to alter growth and maturation of human body so that is not an issue.

ADAM testing perhaps something related to teleportation plasmid would allow for something like tears so the core mechanics of Infinite could be kept.

Of course there is a possibility that KL simply transported our Booker and Liz into new setting and that he's going to justify it by some syphon related stuff.
    But in my opinion that would be too predictable and let's face it how many of us new BEFORE Infinites release how it would end.

Anyway this is my theory unsupported by facts. I hope I didn't bore you much.

We are 99% sure that the Booker we play as again is "our" Booker. Elizabeth is a bit of a different case though. IG has not stated it's our Elizabeth, but the do say she knows what happened in Columbia and has been affected by it. sm

Quote Originally Posted by Solarmech View Post
    We are 99% sure that the Booker we play as again is "our" Booker.
    Are we? How is this? I'm intriqued.

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingLad View Post
    Are we? How is this? I'm intriqued.
    Me too. Personaly I think that if he was realy the same Booker then unless there is some kind of time travel involved he would be like more than 80y old. After all he was born in 1874.

Post edit.
    I found an interview with KL and AJ where they say:

“I’m not gonna say what happens, but at the end of the first part of Burial at Sea, Elizabeth goes into another sort of realization and, to put you then in her shoes, we thought was gonna be something very powerful,” Levine said. “She is very much Elizabeth, but also has a character. She’s affected. She’s definitely changed by what she’s done. I will say certainly you are picking up after the events of Infinite, and this is a person who has seen all the things you’ve seen in Infinite, and that’s had an effect on her.”
    Also it is stated that:

While neither developer would outright confirm that this is “our” Elizabeth, both made it clear that she’ll remain very much aware of the events that took place in the core game.
    And:
    "At the end of the first part of Burial at Sea, Elizabeth goes into another sort of realisation and, to put you then in her shoes, we thought was gonna be something very powerful,"
    Now this could mean that this is INFINITE Liz or that it's another incarnation that has seen what happend.

Maybe it is related somehow to nature of Rapture/Columbia itself. You see in Bioshock/Bioschock2/B:Infinite it's always the same story, details like characters, motivations, set, protectors etc. differ but realy it's always about rescue.
    What if all those Elizabeths (or whatever their names are across the multiverse) are somehow deaply conected and are somehow able to transfer information.
    Last edited by Dalex; 08-19-2013 at 10:31 AM.

As long as I can continue to shock/ignite/murder with crows enemies in awesomely rendered settings than I am IN for all Bioshock titles and DLCs.

The story is starting to give me a headache and I am tired of theorizing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumple View Post
    As long as I can continue to shock/ignite/murder with crows enemies in awesomely rendered settings than I am IN for all Bioshock titles and DLCs.

The story is starting to give me a headache and I am tired of theorizing about it.
    i agree. bioshock's gameplay has always been the fun aspect of bioshock games. the stories themselves weren't/aren't half as deep as ken tries to make them out to be, and i believe trying to approach it with a literary perspective analyzes it greater than pretending that ken's right and there is something deep there. at least it offers the explanation of a poorly written narrative that we can still enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by the amazing critic View Post
    i agree. bioshock's gameplay has always been the fun aspect of bioshock games. the stories themselves weren't/aren't half as deep as ken tries to make them out to be, and i believe trying to approach it with a literary perspective analyzes it greater than pretending that ken's right and there is something deep there. at least it offers the explanation of a poorly written narrative that we can still enjoy.

Well I think everyone has slightly different opinion on what is deep and what not.
    I for one have enjoyed the story although that is maybe just because I'm Doctor Who fan.
    And yes the story has some "Rule of Cool" use however, I think that it's better to have slightly original story, with some maybe expected twists, then another Call of Duty clone.