Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Within FAQ

Arrow XCOM: Enemy Within FAQ

Hello all.
    I know that there are many questions about the upcoming XCOM:Enemy Within.

I will be posting definitive answers as I get them. Feel free to add questions below.
    -Kate

Release dates:
    11.12.13 For North America
    11.15.13 For Worldwide

Why is the console version not a downloadable expansion like the PC?
    There is just too much content! Offering the title as a standalone product was the only way that we could get it to our console audience. The standalone product, XCOM: Enemy Within Commander Edition includes everything that the PC expansion includes, but also adds the previously released Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack and the Second Wave content from XCOM: Enemy Unknown all on a single disc.

Can the console version play EU separately without EW?
    The base game experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown cannot be played using the XCOM: Enemy Within Commander Edition disc. The XCOM: Enemy Within Commander Edition allows gamers to play the ultimate XCOM experience. It enables gamers to play using all previously released DLC; the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack, and the Second Wave content from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, along with the additions that come with XCOM: Enemy Within.

Are there going to be more than two enemies added?
    There are two new alien types in XCOM: Enemy Within. There have been statements regarding that more new “enemies” have been added. This is also true.

Are there any new classes other than MECs added?
    MECs are the only new troop class. However, soldiers of all other classes (Assault, Heavy, Sniper, Support) can be enhanced with Gene Mods.

PC and Console: Is there a patch that addresses bugs coming for Enemy Unknown?
    Yes. We will release patch notes closer to when we are ready to release the patch.

Console: Will players of Enemy Unknown Multiplayer be allowed to play together with players from Enemy Within?
    No, they are separate Multiplayer experiences.

PC and Console: Will Slingshot/Progeny be toggleable?
    Yes.

Console: Will the expansion have a new trophy/achievement list?
    Yes

Console: Will all my trophies, wins, and second wave options carry over to XCOM: EW?
    No, they will be treated as separate games.

PC and Console: Will all the new second wave options be available immediately or do you need to beat different difficulties to unlock them?
    They will be tied to beating difficulty levels. If you have beat the proper difficulty on the PC version of XEU, they will be available immediately. You will need to beat the proper difficulty on XEW to unlock them on the console since they will be separate games.

PC and Console: Will EW and EU games be counted towards and global achievement/trophy goals? For example, if you are one continent away for “A Continental Flow”, will you be able to finish it with an EW game?
    This is true for PC games. However, console versions act as separate games so achievement progress will not be shared or cumulative.

Last edited by Ga1Friday; 09-23-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added more info

I'm on PC, but I know console gamers want this answered: Will unlocked 2nd wave options stay unlocked? Or will all 2nd wave be unlocked from the start or something?

I assume PC is not affected in this regard as it is more of an expansion than a stand-alone.

Edit: Will slingshot/progeny be toggleable?

Will the PC version/previous owners of EU on console still allow base EU experience? i.e. again toggleable in some fashion

Thank you for this thread. Then we were wondering if, on consoles, we will have access to our Ennemy Unkown achievements completed?

What will the price be in Euros? 30 Euros, or will be the equivalent of 30USD in Euros?

Would it be possible to get a list of fixed bugs?

There's quite a few ones that were mentioned during interviews about EW (flanking, line of sight) that will be fixed but there are other annoying bugs that the devs may or not be warned about them (construction projects being delayed, spending both action points during a move when only 1 should be used, overwatch freeze for flanked aliens, etc.)

Will there be a patch for Enemy Unknown including the bug fixes from Enemy Within?

Will players of Enemy Unknown Multiplayer be allowed to play together with players from Enemy Within?

The guns on the cover, why are they different from the normal ballistic weapons from EU?

Any answers on what the special duty soldiers are?

I suspect there will be no new details about the content of EW released here. Hopefully Kate will be good enough to collate some of what's already known, but don't expect new info that hasn't been released through other channels.

The info we're likely to get new here is technical stuff - like the questions about achievements and Second Wave unlocks on consoles.

Ah well, worth a shot anyways. I mean, I'm frequently asking those questions, so I figured it fit the thread.

New languages. In some interviews it is said we get "all" localized languages and other interviews state a list : italian, spanish, polish, russian, french, german. What happened to korean and japanese? If I got it right, XCOM was localized in Japan and Korean, so do we also get those language voices? Without having at least one of them, it may be impossible to pick a language for "asian" countries soldiers.

Will there be new soldier countries added? Since we get polish language voices, it sounds like we will get polish soldiers as well, but maybe there are more?

New hair / hats. Will there be a chance that new soldier is generated with a new hair style or hat, or do we have to modify existing soldiers to use new decos ?

Are there any changes to existing old aliens like Chrysalids, Berserkers, Mutons, Sectopods, Drones etc? (and I know the answer is at least "yes for some" since it was mentioned in one of interviews but there were no details provided). Can you share details about:
    - AI changes (any changes to skills that aliens have?)
    - stats

There are 47 new maps in EW as per official site. But how this number 47 was calculated? In one of interviews, it was told that old map Paper Office will have terror mission on it. Does such map count towards those 47? If there is a new map with both Abduction and Council mission, does it count once or twice towards 47?

It was told that new maps will be weighted more heavily, so we encounter them more than old maps. What will happen after a few games, will the game keep promoting "new" maps? I hope not, and that it will balance out after first game.

Are there any changes to current spawn points / patrol routes of aliens? For example, during demo EW, we saw that outsider spawned outside ufo, so we wonder if this is a new feature (we would love it) or just scripted demo behaviour (boooo).

Will there be any adjustments to existing council missions? (more random spawn points, other aliens than thin men)

Will there be more weapons for soldiers who are not MEC? Like an upgraded ballistic rifle etc?

When will we hear more information about changes to strategic level of the game? There were some interviews stating "in september", so we really really really can't wait for it and since Steam achievements almost confirmed presence of base defence / enemy human faction, it is hard to keep calm without official statements

When will preorder start? (and why not today? )
    Last edited by guciomir; 09-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.

When can I get XCOM plushies?
    I of course need one of each alien type.

Quote Originally Posted by heniv View Post
    When can I get XCOM plushies?
    I of course need one of each alien type.
    My 7 year old son's still waiting for his Muton Teddy! (Yes, I am serious )

This Faq is kinda of poor isnt it?...

For PC, if I have EW installed, can I still start EU only games? Or continue the ones I already have (sticking to EU content)? I don't remember seeing anything about this and reading the Console answer up there, it'd seem that once EW is installed, it's EW or bust. Not a problem per se but a possible incentive to finish some of my pending playthroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by shiaika View Post
    For PC, if I have EW installed, can I still start EU only games? Or continue the ones I already have (sticking to EU content)? I don't remember seeing anything about this and reading the Console answer up there, it'd seem that once EW is installed, it's EW or bust. Not a problem per se but a possible incentive to finish some of my pending playthroughs.
    It's already been stated elsewhere that PC users get to choose whether to play in EW mode or not.

Quote Originally Posted by guciomir View Post
    New languages. In some interviews it is said we get "all" localized languages and other interviews state a list : italian, spanish, polish, russian, french, german. What happened to korean and japanese? If I got it right, XCOM was localized in Japan and Korean, so do we also get those language voices? Without having at least one of them, it may be impossible to pick a language for "asian" countries soldiers.
    according to steam it wasn't localized for japan or korea

Ah dammit. I was hoping to have a badass Japanese Sniper

This is a sad day

So maybe question to Firaxis / K2. Do you know if we will get japanese/korean voices in the future? Maybe game is being translated to those languages right now? Or maybe it will be easy for mods to add a few new voice packs?

I'm actually a little surprised they weren't included.

Yeah, considering they already did the subbing work for Korea and Japan, kinda odd they didn't localize the dubbing too.

Q: Will SHIVs get customization options?

There may be issues with what can be fit on a disc for distribution for consoles. Audio files are relatively big (though not as big as they used to be, thanks to modern compression technology).

Q: When is the pre order going to be available, will there be any bonus for pre orders ?

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I suspect there will be no new details about the content of EW released here. Hopefully Kate will be good enough to collate some of what's already known, but don't expect new info that hasn't been released through other channels.

The info we're likely to get new here is technical stuff - like the questions about achievements and Second Wave unlocks on consoles.
    That is right! I am not going to swoop in with spoilers and the like, but I am getting answers where and when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga1Friday View Post
    That is right! I am not going to swoop in with spoilers and the like, but I am getting answers where and when I can.
    Will the new offline squad editor for multiplayer include the ability to choose soldiers' appearance and individual abilities, or will they be "templated" with randomized appearances like in EU?

Also, will matchmaking and ranking work the same way?

For that matter, will ranking be carried over from EU to EW or treated as a separate ladder?

Will PC players of EU and EW be able to battle each other in multiplayer? The FAQ only states Console payers will not be able to...

Will Firaxis regularly update point values to balance multiplayer?

Quote Originally Posted by Guilty Biscuit View Post
    Will PC players of EU and EW be able to battle each other in multiplayer? The FAQ only states Console payers will not be able to...
    Given that PC users with EW can play EU whenever they like, I imagine it means there will be a partition (a bit like in Civ5), in that people with EW playing against people with only EU will play as if they only had EU too. But I have no special information about that.

Man. Reading that makes me feel like console players are kinda getting shafted. The PC release seems overall better. Not only because of the normal benefits of having it on PC (mods, better graphics, etc.) but with how it'll be acting properly with achievements, content and pricing. I've already got the Elite Solider Pack, Slingshot and XCOM:EU. Don't wanna have to buy it all again, to access the new stuff.

I don't understand why they couldn't do what Mass Effect 3 did with their Citadel DLC. They had it split in to two parts. If you bought one part, you got the second free. So why not just make XCOM:EW DLC where console players pay $30 for part one and get both, or maybe all three parts to download. This method would bring it completely on par with the PC release.

I can't imagine why this wouldn't work, but what do I know. Keeping it like it is feels like I'm being punished for my loyalty. That completely bums me out, considering I followed XCOM:EU since it was announced in January's Game Informer.

Guess that's how it goes though. I'm out. All you PC gamers enjoy XCOM:EW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga1Friday View Post
    PC and Console: Is there a patch that addresses bugs coming for Enemy Unknown?
    Yes. We will release patch notes closer to when we are ready to release the patch.
    Thank you very much for the answer to my question

@RagtagLegacy - just one more nod to the PC gaming master race.

Quote Originally Posted by RagtagLegacy View Post
    Man. Reading that makes me feel like console players are kinda getting shafted. The PC release seems overall better. Not only because of the normal benefits of having it on PC (mods, better graphics, etc.) but with how it'll be acting properly with achievements, content and pricing. I've already got the Elite Solider Pack, Slingshot and XCOM:EU. Don't wanna have to buy it all again, to access the new stuff.

I don't understand why they couldn't do what Mass Effect 3 did with their Citadel DLC. They had it split in to two parts. If you bought one part, you got the second free. So why not just make XCOM:EW DLC where console players pay $30 for part one and get both, or maybe all three parts to download. This method would bring it completely on par with the PC release.

I can't imagine why this wouldn't work, but what do I know. Keeping it like it is feels like I'm being punished for my loyalty. That completely bums me out, considering I followed XCOM:EU since it was announced in January's Game Informer.

Don't forget that, even with all that stuff in it that some people already have, it's only $10 more than PC users are paying - and that's about the usual console premium, AIUI.

They should consider unlocking all 2nd wave for console guys, they really are getting "shafted" in that regard - who doesn't like more options? It's the kind of game Xcom is to many people, one you can tailor to your liking.

It does not affect me as I'm PC and have Impossible done, and in fact do not even use 2nd wave tbh, but I know so many others do.

Thank you for the replies nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by RagtagLegacy View Post
    The counterpoint I've heard most often is that you should be able to get $10 for it at GameStop, so minus the Second Wave issue, all else works out about the same.

if a Seeker is choking a squad member and another squad member attempts to shot the seeker, is it possible to miss the seeker and accidentally shoot your own team mate?

I know that's a pretty specific questions, but it just feels like that should happen.

*New Question*

We've learned that Squadsight will not allow Snipers to crit enemies outside of their own sight radius.

How will this interact with Opportunist, which allows Overwatch reaction shots to critical? Will a Squadsight Sniper still not be able to crit on Overwatch targets outside of the shooter's own sight radius?

Console: Will the expansion have a new trophy/achievement list?
    Yes

If it is treated as a new game, does this mean that on PS3, all the old XCOM EU trophies and all the new EW trophies will be required to earn the Platinum trophy? Or will JUST the new EW trophies be required to earnt he Platinum?

PREORDER is finally available at xcom site!

I have two questions by the way:

1. Does Slingshot/Progency DLC receive any additional love/changes in EW?
    2. What would be behavior of the Seeker if all my squad consists of SHIVS/MECS? Are they targetable by the Seeker?

Ty and sorry for my not native Eng

Quote Originally Posted by GiT View Post
    2. What would be behavior of the Seeker if all my squad consists of SHIVS/MECS? Are they targetable by the Seeker?
    I think they mentioned the Seeker has a regular attack too, but it's probably not very good (possibly like a Drone).

Quote Originally Posted by GiT View Post
    PREORDER is finally available at xcom site!

I have two questions by the way:

1. Does Slingshot/Progency DLC receive any additional love/changes in EW?

Ty and sorry for my not native Eng
    1. Yes, it's tuned to match EW gameplay.
    2. Seeker has pdistant plasma attack. Damage/properties unknown.

So, anyone that owns Enemy Unknown only on a console and already has the previous DLC, will have to buy it all again to play Enemy Within? I hope I got it wrong. Buying the same game twice for a console for a game that I pre-order once and got it on launch feel a bit of a slap in the face of exclusive console players, personally that is the worst part of it. Gotta to deal with it.

I hope the team has studied every possiblility to rule out a console release as a expansion. That must mean it would be a colossal expansion, because I have seen DLC of 4GB get relesed in Xbox, divide in half, sell one part, other free but needs both to work. Anyways, if it cant be done, it will be a bit sad day for consoles players and just maybe a happy one of my PC library.

Or maybe I got it all wrong and wrote a wall of nonsense, happens sometimes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast