Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 164

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Within FAQ

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,612
    It's not so much buying it again as getting it free if you don't already have it (and if you don't have EU, you'll not be able to play the game without the EW additions). The difference in price is only $10, which is, I believe, the usual console premium.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nodnol
    Posts
    497
    Erm, why are people speaking of Progeny when it was never released?
    Am I missing something?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    632
    It's being bundled with EW.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Muton Pacifist View Post
    Erm, why are people speaking of Progeny when it was never released?
    Am I missing something?
    Yes. Progeny has been folded into EW, with a bit of editing (unstitched and rewoven I believe the term was). At least two missions have made it, as evidenced by achievements, and we will probably see all the customization options that would have been in the DLC in EW.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Muton Pacifist View Post
    Erm, why are people speaking of Progeny when it was never released?
    Am I missing something?
    The content originally slated for a separate DLC, called Progeny, is included within EW.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nodnol
    Posts
    497
    Oh so they completed it did they?
    Heh, they really did take the broadsides Slingshot took seriously.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Muton Pacifist View Post
    Oh so they completed it did they?
    Heh, they really did take the broadsides Slingshot took seriously.
    Well, indications are that it's not entirely in the originally planned form, but parts of it were reworked.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by RagtagLegacy View Post
    I don't understand why they couldn't do what Mass Effect 3 did with their Citadel DLC. They had it split in to two parts. If you bought one part, you got the second free. So why not just make XCOM:EW DLC where console players pay $30 for part one and get both, or maybe all three parts to download. This method would bring it completely on par with the PC release.

    I can't imagine why this wouldn't work, but what do I know. Keeping it like it is feels like I'm being punished for my loyalty. That completely bums me out, considering I followed XCOM:EU since it was announced in January's Game Informer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methaluan Sylver View Post
    So, anyone that owns Enemy Unknown only on a console and already has the previous DLC, will have to buy it all again to play Enemy Within? I hope I got it wrong. Buying the same game twice for a console for a game that I pre-order once and got it on launch feel a bit of a slap in the face of exclusive console players, personally that is the worst part of it. Gotta to deal with it.

    I hope the team has studied every possiblility to rule out a console release as a expansion. That must mean it would be a colossal expansion, because I have seen DLC of 4GB get relesed in Xbox, divide in half, sell one part, other free but needs both to work. Anyways, if it cant be done, it will be a bit sad day for consoles players and just maybe a happy one of my PC library.
    One critical factor that probably encouraged the developers to treat Enemy Within as a separate game, is the fact that DLC has problems with patching, which means if EW was a DLC download, you wouldn't be able to get any bug fixes or updates. But, as the game is now a separate game, then patching is made all the more easier. Thus, any problems that occur after release, can be fixed by the developers.

    Considering the amount of new content that has been added to EW (noting that any new code added to something, increases the propensity for bugs), I'm happy that they have taken this route and released EW as a separate game.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nodnol
    Posts
    497
    Consoles can't patch DLC? What?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Muton Pacifist View Post
    Consoles can't patch DLC? What?
    That could make sense.

    When a patch come out, it's automatically downloaded by the console when you run the game the next time (when you are connected, of course). What will happen if a patch is coming out for Enemy Within, which could happen because there is a load of new stuffs, and you don't have the DLC? Your game will download a patch that he can't use because you don't have the Enemy Within DLC.

    I'm not a specialist at all, but maybe this could be a source of conflict, the game trying to apply a patch that could not be apply, because the code is looking for is not there.

    Anyway, one way or another, it's clearly the infra structure of console game that force Enemy Within to be an stand alone game, not Firaxis's caprice.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nodnol
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogen View Post
    That could make sense.

    When a patch come out, it's automatically downloaded by the console when you run the game the next time (when you are connected, of course). What will happen if a patch is coming out for Enemy Within, which could happen because there is a load of new stuffs, and you don't have the DLC? Your game will download a patch that he can't use because you don't have the Enemy Within DLC.

    I'm not a specialist at all, but maybe this could be a source of conflict, the game trying to apply a patch that could not be apply, because the code is looking for is not there.

    Anyway, one way or another, it's clearly the infra structure of console game that force Enemy Within to be an stand alone game, not Firaxis's caprice.
    I'm not necesarilly disagreeing as I don't know the mechanics of console patching, but Steam also downloads patches automatically and handles DLC and expansions just fine.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Muton Pacifist View Post
    I'm not necesarilly disagreeing as I don't know the mechanics of console patching, but Steam also downloads patches automatically and handles DLC and expansions just fine.
    Well, the proof is made that PC, Steam or not, have a lot more of flexibility when we talk about post game releasing addition (patch DLC, mod, etc...) comparing to console.

    I won't be surprise that, for a reason or another, the rigid infra structure of console don't allow such thing as patching a DLC. Maybe could be doable, but at a cost of great pain for the editor and the developer. 2K and Firaxis could come to a point saying; "Well, screw them with all their stupid rules. They don't want to accommodate us for the sake of player's benefit and put all sort of sticks in our wheels? OK then, it will be an stand alone for console, that's it. Too bad for them. Console's players just need to complain to Microsoft or Sony. We try our best."

    Proof of it; console still do not get the latest patch PC had that almost solve completely teleporting bug. I feel pity for them.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    252
    I am PC gamer who loves competitive aspect in MP part of the game so here is PC related question:

    Will leader board get a reset and are we to expect any other changes in regards to it - from how ranking itself works onwards?

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    233
    Can we field a Mech trooper on foot, if we want? Without the MEC suit?

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Can we field a Mech trooper on foot, if we want? Without the MEC suit?
    I'd wondered this too.

    Initially I thought I'd remembered reading something vaguely suggesting that you dont get the big suit until you've progressed along their 'regular' skill tree, unlocking the suit abilities tree as a seperate entity.

    But everything since then seems more like the opposite may be the case.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Will Enemy Within be a separate game? Like I launch it via the menu? So I will have to rebuild my base and army and stuff? Or will it ADD (hence the word expansion) to the current game? I have not beat enemy unknown, I have a save at the last mission and before the last mission.

    So do I have to worry about something? I really do not want to restart the game to enjoy the new stuff in the dlc, but also do not want to be OP with my current build (before the final mission). I actually rather have it a separate game.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by marchwaltz View Post
    Will Enemy Within be a separate game? Like I launch it via the menu? So I will have to rebuild my base and army and stuff? Or will it ADD (hence the word expansion) to the current game? I have not beat enemy unknown, I have a save at the last mission and before the last mission.

    So do I have to worry about something? I really do not want to restart the game to enjoy the new stuff in the dlc, but also do not want to be OP with my current build (before the final mission). I actually rather have it a separate game.
    1. On PC, Enemy Within will be treated as DLC. On consoles, Enemy Within is treated as a standalone expansion.
    2. Yes, you will need to start a fresh campaign to play Enemy Within and enjoy the new additional content.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    997
    On the bright side, new content is all over the game from the start. This is old style expansion, where all the game is expanded and not only the end.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Any idea if we'll be able to use our same team from Enemy Unknown, or will this be a 'start from the beginning' job?

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosset View Post
    Any idea if we'll be able to use our same team from Enemy Unknown, or will this be a 'start from the beginning' job?
    You'll need to start a fresh campaign.

  21. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Will there be different styles and tinting of weapons, like you can with armors?

  22. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    106
    I've got one that I have not been able to find...

    I know that the Slingshot DLC will be included with EW on the console but what about PC? I have not bought Slightshot on PC but I am going to get EW. Will I have access to the Slingshot content through EW?

    If not luckily it is only $1.74 on steam right now... still $1.74 more than it is worth but that's for another thread.

  23. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    997
    Console got it better this time, you need to buy slingshot separately this time. 1.74 sounds like a good deal, go for it.

  24. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    U.S. Northeast
    Posts
    3,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha7 View Post
    I know that the Slingshot DLC will be included with EW on the console but what about PC?
    Every DLC remains separate on the PC.

    It's only being rolled into the Console release of EW, becaus ethey're making that a complete standalone game, rather than just a DLC (it's probably just too BIG for the DLC size limits on consoles, or some such).

  25. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    (it's probably just too BIG for the DLC size limits on consoles, or some such).
    From what I heard, the problem is that consoles do not support diverging patches. If something in the DLC needs to be patched, you need to either send it to everyone (including the people who don't own the DLC) or send it to noone.

  26. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,345
    First of all the sheer joy of it being something I can physically buy in a store is incalculable.

    Q: However, I gotta' know, I mean I just gotta' know. How much is it going to cost in U.S. dollars?

    Why? Became I have to go out and pre-order it, in full, as soon as I conceivably can!

    TELL ME!

  27. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Land of Cheese, Wine and Hairy Women
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    First of all the sheer joy of it being something I can physically buy in a store is incalculable.

    Q: However, I gotta' know, I mean I just gotta' know. How much is it going to cost in U.S. dollars?

    Why? Became I have to go out and pre-order it, in full, as soon as I conceivably can!

    TELL ME!
    29.99 USD.

    26.99 if you preorder on steam (well, before the 2k weekend ends, anyway)

  28. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by CthuluIsSpy View Post
    29.99 USD.

    26.99 if you preorder on steam (well, before the 2k weekend ends, anyway)
    *Cranks up the Ode to Joy*

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

    Now my local Gamestop just has to open... dang technicalities.

  29. #69
    When can I buy EW disk for PS4? Why there no info about it?

  30. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    U.S. Northeast
    Posts
    3,827
    It's not out yet.

  31. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,612
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceQuester View Post
    When can I buy EW disk for PS4? Why there no info about it?
    There's nothing been said about next-gen consoles at all. No reason to expect a release for them.

  32. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    There's nothing been said about next-gen consoles at all. No reason to expect a release for them.
    Can you ask the developers and producers, are porting works on PS4 doing now?

  33. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,612
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceQuester View Post
    Can you ask the developers and producers, are porting works on PS4 doing now?
    I'm just a volunteer community moderator; I have no special pull or access.

    Personally, I doubt that they are working on PS4 ports.

  34. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    809
    Does the expansion have a new SP campaign ?
    Or it's just more units, abilities and maps ?

  35. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by lietkynes View Post
    Does the expansion have a new SP campaign ?
    Money's on no. :\

  36. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by lietkynes View Post
    Does the expansion have a new SP campaign ?
    Or it's just more units, abilities and maps ?
    It has new mini-campaigns in the form of the Operation Progeny missions (similar to the Slingshot DLC), and new missions related to the new Exalt enemies.

  37. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,345
    Quote Originally Posted by SayuriUliana View Post
    It has new mini-campaigns in the form of the Operation Progeny missions (similar to the Slingshot DLC), and new missions related to the new Exalt enemies.
    True, I didn't count that.

  38. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,207
    this may have already been asked, but is the game any longer than before? seems like the new research and the new faction should add some time to the game.

  39. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by karlhungusjr View Post
    this may have already been asked, but is the game any longer than before? seems like the new research and the new faction should add some time to the game.
    Gupta said in interviews it will be around the same length / only slightly longer maybe.

  40. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    somewhere in canada....
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceQuester View Post
    Can you ask the developers and producers, are porting works on PS4 doing now?
    when the install base for xbox1/ps4 grows they may port the game to those platforms until then my bet is no

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •