Thread: Pitboss Instructions

Pitboss Instructions

Copied and slightly edited from the instructions provided by Dennis Shirk (http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...96#post3288396)

Hosting a Dedicated Server Pitboss Game

Every dedicated server Pitboss game requires a separate computer. You can not run more than one copy of Sid Meier's Civilization 5 on a single computer. However, running a dedicated server for Sid Meier's Civilization 5 does not prevent you from running a normal game of Sid Meier's Civilization 5 on a different computer. Players can host and play in a Pitboss game using a single copy of Sid Meier's Civilization 5 on separate computers.

How to Host a Dedicated Server

1. Ensure that network port 27016 is open to UDP communication on the server's router. Consult your router manual for instructions. The dedicated server does not use Steam's NAT punch-through facilities, so you may need to configure port forwarding.
    2. Configure the dedicated server to send email turn notifications. This requires an email address that supports SMTP.
      1. Launch Sid Meier's Civilization 5.
      2. From the Main Menu, select Options, then select Multiplayer Options.
      3. Fill out the options in the Pitboss Host Turn Notification box
      4. Example Options using a Gmail account
        1. Email Address: example@gmail.com
        2. Email Server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
        3. Use TLS: Yes
        4. Port: 587
        5. Username: example
        6. Password: JOSHUA
        7. Retype Password: JOSHUA
      5. A Note on SMTP Passwords: For security, Civilization 5 does not save your smtp password between game sessions. The server will prompt you for your smtp password when starting a new session.
      6. Click Accept.
    3. Install Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK. This can be found in the Tools section of your Steam Library.
    4. Launch Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.
    5. Select Dedicated Server from the SDK Launcher. A right click opens up an option to create a desktop shortcut for future use.
    6. Once the dedicated server has loaded, configure the game settings for the Pitboss game. Click Host Game once you are done.
      1. Note: The Host Private Game option will make the game invisible to the public Pitboss servers list. This option doesn't affect LAN games. If Host Private Game is enabled players will have to manually join the game using the Connect To IP Address option on the Multiplayer->Pitboss->Internet screen. You can determine the dedicated server's ip address by googling "What is my ip?" from the dedicated server machine.
    7. Once at the staging room screen, you will have to reenter your smtp password into the popup.
    8. Configure the game for human players.
      1. Select Human Required for every planned human player in the game.
      2. Add AI and observers as desired.
    9. Ready the host by clicking the Ready Status checkbox for the host player.
    10. Inform all players that the Pitboss game is ready. The game will automatically launch once every Human Required slot has been occupied by a ready player. All unconnected players will be informed by a turn notification once the game has started.

Playing in a Dedicated Server Pitboss Game

1. Configure your turn notification settings.
      1. Start Civilization 5.
      2. From the Main Menu, select Options, then select Multiplayer Options.
      3. Fill out the options in the Pitboss Turn Notification box. We recommend using email turn notifications because they can be seen anywhere you have email access.
      4. Example Options using a Gmail account
        1. Steam Invite: No
        2. Email: Yes
        3. Email Address: example@gmail.com
      5. Click Accept.
    2. Join the Pitboss game.
      1. The Pitboss game host will inform you on how to join the game.
        1. Internet Pitboss games can be joined thru the Internet Pitboss Games screen. Goto Main Menu->Multiplayer->Pitboss->Internet.
          1. Public games will be selectable from the server list. You might have to press the Refresh button to see the game once it has been hosted.
          2. Private games will be joined by typing in the game's ip address into the Connect to IP Address option. The option is located at the bottom of the screen.
        2. LAN Pitboss games can be joined thru the LAN Pitboss Games screen. Goto Main Menu->Multiplayer->Pitboss->LAN.
          1. LAN games are always public and selectable on the LAN server list if you're on the same network as the Pitboss host.
    3. Select a civilization.
    4. Ready up by clicking the Ready Status checkbox for the local player.
    5. You can now exit the game. You will be given a turn notification when the game has started.

These instructions don't quite make clear how you'll be able to run the game under a single user. It sounds like you're selecting the pitboss standalone from inside the steam menu, which would require you to be logged into steam, yes? And if you're logged into steam from the pitboss computer, you will not be able to login from the playing computer without losing login.

So how do you handle that? Can you actually run pitboss while NOT logged into steam?

Yes, you can run pitboss while that computer is offline in Steam without any problem. You have to be logged in, but can be in offline mode, AIUI.

To clarify, you need to be logged into Steam (can be in offline mode) if you want to launch the game thru the SDK launcher.

If you create a shortcut to the dedicated server executable, you can use the shortcut without having steam on your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by razorace View Post
    To clarify, you need to be logged into Steam (can be in offline mode) if you want to launch the game thru the SDK launcher.

If you create a shortcut to the dedicated server executable, you can use the shortcut without having steam on your machine.
    What is the dedicated server executable and the location? Is it obvious, or will I have to create a shortcut with options?

Whats the minimum requirements to run a Dedicated Server? Any chance of a Linux Server?

Also, is there a way to get back from the map screen from observer? I can't find anything and I really don't want to be able to walk downstairs and look at everyone's positions in a game I'm playing. The temptation might be too strong.

FYI for anyone else who comes along: launching while steam was not working did NOT work. It crashed when you hit "host game". Launching while offline mode in steam does work, and I can connect to the game from my client/player laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by qkslvrwolf View Post
    Also, is there a way to get back from the map screen from observer? I can't find anything and I really don't want to be able to walk downstairs and look at everyone's positions in a game I'm playing. The temptation might be too strong.

FYI for anyone else who comes along: launching while steam was not working did NOT work. It crashed when you hit "host game". Launching while offline mode in steam does work, and I can connect to the game from my client/player laptop.
    Yeah... Now that you mentioned I can't go back either and if I try to click back to main menu the game crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by qkslvrwolf View Post

Yes, there is a way.

When you start the game, you see observer mode. After the game has started, you get the little strategic map button next to save and exit. Click that. You get to the strategic map view.

Continue the same thought line, and click the strategic map button again, it takes you to the 3D map view. Now continue this, click the (now globe, but same place as the strategic map button) and voila, back to observer view. You can continue cycling through these views as much as you want.

Ok, so, bug report.

My setup: Pitboss running from offline mode. Windows vista box. Desktop shortcut created per instructions, pitboss server launched via the shortcut. Server is hardwired to a switch to the router. Router has port forwarding setup.

Clients, including me from an online account (another computer behind the same router) are able to login, join up, email notification works. yay.

First attempt:
    Game starts. Not all players logged in when game starts. Some players are able to login and take their first turn. Steam hiccups at night, after which some players cannot connect. I still can. People who are not are getting a directx11 error (a really annoying one that doesn't allow copy paste). Something about "illegal termination"

Try saving from the server side, restarting server, try again. Still no dice.
    Try restarting server computer, reload from config. Still no dice.

Start new game.

Require all players to be present for game start. Game starts, we play six turns.

One of the players computer goes down with a battery failure. He can't come back in. Weird directx error. I ask him to try again, but with dx9. Same error. Ask him to reboot, try again. Same error. While he's trying to get back in, another of my players gets dropped. He starts getting the same error. The both make several more attempts to rejoin, all with the same error.

Go to my server. Save the game. Reboot the machine. Restart the server, load the game.

All players get an identical error.

Pitboss is currently unuseable for me. :-( This makes me VERY sad.

If you have network logging enabled, a and preferably the other players too, the logs could be useful to the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by mathsteck View Post
    Whats the minimum requirements to run a Dedicated Server? Any chance of a Linux Server?
    They are the same as the minimum requirements for the DirectX9 version of the game.
    Game starts. Not all players logged in when game starts. Some players are able to login and take their first turn. Steam hiccups at night, after which some players cannot connect. I still can. People who are not are getting a directx11 error (a really annoying one that doesn't allow copy paste). Something about "illegal termination"
    How far into the join game process are they getting before they get the crash? Do they end up with a .mdmp file in their game directory? If so, please post the minidump file.

Quote Originally Posted by mathsteck View Post
    Any chance of a Linux Server?
    FWIW, i can confirm that it runs using WINE however it's less stable than the running on windows. Native Linux binary would be awesome :-)

Since the dedicated server was released as a part of the beta for the fall patch I've been putting it through its paces with some interesting results. Now I've had some similar issues to qkslvrwolf where disconnecting players cause crashes or to restart after a server crash you need to have all players reconnect in the lobby or the AI will automatically sense a disconnect and take their turn. There is also an issue where by loading a save game what was a private game is now public for all to observe / take control of AI. That's not even to mention the fact that changing the screen resolution needs to be done elsewhere as once you start the game video options are grayed out :-( Major PITA

I then started to benchmark the game based on full AI slots (observer only) to get a feeling for how long the turn times would take to process late game. Conventional wisdom suggests that turn processing should take longer the further through the game you are regardless of SP vs MP. What i didn't expect was that once turn processing time gets a beyond few minutes (> 10), shutting down the dedicated pitboss server and reloading the save game results in turn times back around the ~1min mark.

What i don't have at the moment is a great deal of data to confirm this bug but it does suggest that
    1. There is something in the AI processing that is cause a memory leak or similar
    2. or something is getting cleared out upon reload (units, log, turn history etc.)

Has anyone else observed similar results or am I covering old news here?

I have seen some strange disconnects when players use different directx versions of the game to connect. Maybe that applies to pitboss as well?

Dedicated pitboss always runs in DX9. Maybe try to let the players only play in DX9 to connect?

qkslvrwolf, did you get any further with that issue?

I'm having exactly the same problem. Started a pitboss game, got to about turn 147 in one night with 3 friends. We call it a night, and leave the pitboss server running.

When we now attempt to connect, we get a Direct X issue. Tried all the things qkslvrwolf mentioned, disconnecting, saving, restarting the server, running as an administrator, and we always get a crash. Tried switching to DX9 mode, same issue. Tried with/without email/steam notifications, no difference.

This is with steam running in offline mode on the server though, as I can't really afford to buy all of Civ5 again to run a server!

The only way we could get it to work, was to load the game from the lobby, with everyone there (which is exactly what pitboss is meant to remove the need for!)

Also, I checked for .mdmp files on both the server and client, and non existed.

At the moment, unless anyone has any other ideas, this means pit-boss is totally broken for us.

So, everything works fine until someone disconnects and tries to reconnect to the pitboss server? Does the game crash after the reconnecting player readies up?

We've encountered an issue where players crash when rejoining pitboss games if they have a different DLC/expansion configuration than the host. We've investigating a fix. In the meanwhile, make sure that you have the same DLC/expansion running as the Pitboss host when joining into a pitboss game.

Quote Originally Posted by razorace View Post
    So, everything works fine until someone disconnects and tries to reconnect to the pitboss server? Does the game crash after the reconnecting player readies up?

We've encountered an issue where players crash when rejoining pitboss games if they have a different DLC/expansion configuration than the host. We've investigating a fix. In the meanwhile, make sure that you have the same DLC/expansion running as the Pitboss host when joining into a pitboss game.

Razorace,
    Yep. Everything works fine until you disconnect, and then you can never re-connect, unless the server is reloaded and the game relaunched with everyone connected. We then played for a turn, disconnected and tried to re-connect and civ crashed each time.

We do all have different DLC though, some of us have BNW, the others don't, we're playing a game with BNW disabled. I can't really ask the other player to purchase BNW though...

Would disabling the DLC through the menu be enough?

Yes, that should work.

Razoeace,
    Thanks for that, that worked fine! Those that had BNW needed to disable it via the main menu, and then join the game. We've been all able to connect and get a few turns played now. All seems to be working as expected!

Thanks!

Glad to hear it.

Version 144 was just released today, cool.

Unfortunately, our dedicated Pitboss server still only runs 142, so nobody can join it anymore. I updated the Civ V game on that machine to 144, but the dedicated server still runs 142.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to wait for the SDK to update to 144 also?

Thanks

A user reports that the SDK can be forced to update by verifying integrity on the SDK (as report here: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...16#post3345616)

Awesome, thanks Sam. Everything seems to be in working order now

Hi!

I'm trying to get a Pitboss up on a XP in a Virtualbox with the following specs (1 CPU 2,4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 256MB Vram for Graphics). Everytime I start the Pitboss, the process goes up to ~ 115MB memory usage, a window opens and closes immediately and the process vanishes. I'm giving up on it for now.

Is it basically possible to run a pitboss in a virtual machine?

Hi,

First, it does not appear that one can run both the Pitboss dedicated server and the client game from the same computer, correct? When I try to start the client game while the server is running I get the initial screen to pick dx level but once selected nothing happens.

Second, why does the pitboss server need to have all the elaborate graphics and sound? Why is there no option just to run it as a Windows service in the background or at least be able to minimize and mute?

Seems I might as well just host the game from my computer and just leave it running instead of using a server . . . at least I have control over the sound that way.

Am I missing some setting or something? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pinsel View Post
    Hi!

I'm trying to get a Pitboss up on a XP in a Virtualbox with the following specs (1 CPU 2,4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 256MB Vram for Graphics). Everytime I start the Pitboss, the process goes up to ~ 115MB memory usage, a window opens and closes immediately and the process vanishes. I'm giving up on it for now.

Is it basically possible to run a pitboss in a virtual machine?
    Yes, you can run a pitboss server on a virtual machine. I have that running as well. But, you need to keep the minimum specs in mind. Which means 2 CPU, at least 512 MB Video Ram and a virtual dedicated 3D GPU. I'd ramp up the RAM to 4 GB as well, but that is not absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by HameedSilvertoe View Post
    Hi,

First, it does not appear that one can run both the Pitboss dedicated server and the client game from the same computer, correct? When I try to start the client game while the server is running I get the initial screen to pick dx level but once selected nothing happens.

Second, why does the pitboss server need to have all the elaborate graphics and sound? Why is there no option just to run it as a Windows service in the background or at least be able to minimize and mute?

Seems I might as well just host the game from my computer and just leave it running instead of using a server . . . at least I have control over the sound that way.

Am I missing some setting or something? Thanks.
    Why it needs to load everything: because of design. Gameplay elements and graphics are programmed into the core engine. You cannot load the one without the other.

You are correct that you cannot load the server and the client on the same machine. If you wish to play from the same machine that is running the server, you need start the server from within normal Civ5.

Quote Originally Posted by donald23 View Post
    Yes, you can run a pitboss server on a virtual machine. I have that running as well. But, you need to keep the minimum specs in mind. Which means 2 CPU, at least 512 MB Video Ram and a virtual dedicated 3D GPU. I'd ramp up the RAM to 4 GB as well, but that is not absolutely necessary.
    Not bad. Which Host you are using? With Virtualbox I can only set 256MB Vram for Graphics.

Not bad. Which Host you are using? With Virtualbox I can only set 256MB Vram for Graphics.
    My own... With a couple of friends we hire place in a datacenter. A friend of mine set up the infrastructure and we all chipped in for the hardware and software So I have relative freedom in what to assign and use.

The hypervisor is that of VMware, VSphere 5.5 IIRC. The virtual server itself runs windows 7 for me.

Why it needs to load everything: because of design. Gameplay elements and graphics are programmed into the core engine. You cannot load the one without the other.
    Too bad, I would have thought that by the fifth iteration of the game the designers might have separated the core engine from the graphics so that a server could be run with minimum graphical requirements as servers tend to have and run as a background service as servers are best at.

My own... With a couple of friends we hire place in a datacenter. A friend of mine set up the infrastructure and we all chipped in for the hardware and software So I have relative freedom in what to assign and use.

The hypervisor is that of VMware, VSphere 5.5 IIRC. The virtual server itself runs windows 7 for me.
    Sounds cool! I only have an Quad-Core with 8GB Ram and internal graphics running Debian. So I keep it as a nice try with pitboss as long there is no rethinking from the developpers.

Quote Originally Posted by HameedSilvertoe View Post
    Too bad, I would have thought that by the fifth iteration of the game the designers might have separated the core engine from the graphics so that a server could be run with minimum graphical requirements as servers tend to have and run as a background service as servers are best at.
    Just guessing here, but I think they actually thought about it (would actually expect that from a design-team) and decided that the performance and efficiency benefits outweigh the negatives from not being able to not load the graphics part.
    But they could just have not thought about it and overlooked it...

Sounds cool! I only have an Quad-Core with 8GB Ram and internal graphics running Debian. So I keep it as a nice try with pitboss as long there is no rethinking from the developpers.
    I'm guessing (I love this, don't I?) that we have no chance that this will change for Civ5, as we're far past the part where core engine tweaks are done. Unless we get a third expansion, which could actually hold the budget and time for such changes There is always hoping!

I am playing a 2-player pitboss game. I had to turn off Windows firewall, but everything in pitboss is working now except email notifications. I see that other people have been able to get them to work. I've tried following the instructions at the top of this thread exactly several times. I am using gmail.

I have IMAP and POP enabled for my gmail account.

I notice the instructions say to enter your username as "example". I've found instructions from Google saying to use your full email address as your username "example@gmail.com". Does it matter which one I use?

Is there a limit to the email password length for Civ5? My password is long.

Any other suggestions or tips? How have other people gotten email notification to work?

Thanks!
    Last edited by unknown9; 01-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.

For gmail you usually need the entire email address as your username indeed. Be sure to use the SMTP (sending email) settings from what your gmail says. You can look those settings up in the part to configure other mail clients. As far as I know, there is no limit on the password length in Civ.

I have gotten it to work and am playing in one where it works. I'd have to look up my settings.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown9 View Post
    I have IMAP and POP enabled for my gmail account.

I notice the instructions say to enter your username as "example". I've found instructions from Google saying to use your full email address as your username "example@gmail.com". Does it matter which one I use?
    There has been some confusion about what the proper smtp settings are. At one time, the top google search's network port was incorrect. The following work for me.

Pitboss Host Turn Notification Settings (with Gmail)

Email Address: <Use your full email address> Example: examplebob@gmail.com
    Email Server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
    Use TLS: Yes
    Port: 587
    Username: <first part of full email address> Example: Email address: examplebob@gmail.com -> Username: examplebob

Is there a limit to the email password length for Civ5? My password is long.
    There is no limit on your password length.

Good luck!

Can I convert a standard MP game into a Pitboss game?

My friends and I were playing all together, but realized that it would be easier to schedule and play if we had the game through Pitboss.

Unfortunately, the Pitboss setting is something that has to be set when the game was started.

You said that "graphic and sound engines are necesery to run dedicated server". However, is it possible to reduce memory usage (and GPU) by replacing textures / sound / models with minimal versions? Like 16x16 textures, empty sound files, etc? Leaving only medium resolution textures for 'strategic view' just in case someone would want to look? I need to run it on box with integrated GPU - bearly handling minecraft, but with good CUP and RAM...