Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories of meeting NBA players

batron Guest

Stories of meeting NBA players

I met Karl Malone many years ago when he had a shop in Utah. My dad saw his car outside, so we decided to stop in, we went in my Dad bought me and my brother a poster, and as he was paying for it Karl came out and saw the poster and asked if wanted an autograph. Obviously we said yes and it now reads "To Ben and Joe, Karl Malone." Also, this year after the Jazz lost to the Timberwolves and were cut from the playoffs, my friends and I went to the airport where the Jazz land and waited for them to come out, we saw all the players but only a few stopped. It was cool because Andrei Kirilenko, Sasha Pavlovic, and Jerry Sloan stopped. They were all really nice. I had them sign a basketball of mine. Andrei Kirilenko apoligized for not making the playoffs and was very kind. Sasha was a little put out, and didn't seem to speak much english. And Sloan stopped and joked with us about the other players not stopping. It was great. Andrei's liscense plate says "AK 47" it was cool.

alldayy Guest
    i saw Chris Gatling walking in the mall one time. I didn't get his autograph or anything tho. My greatest experience tho was when I actually got to play with Lamond Murray right before he got drafted. He showed up at the court that I went/go to and I asked him if he wanted to run and he said sure and then we ruled the court for 10 games straight

drexlerfan11 Guest
    My dads friend knows Erick Piatkowski. i have his autograph and ive seen him like 3 times.

batron Guest
    Another story, I have a friend that I grew up with who just moved away to college and his roomate is Wally Szczerbiak's cousin, imagine that.

Ps!ence_Fiction Guest
    My Dad's friend is friends with the Pacers GMs brother, so im hoping i can get sum free stuff

Location, location, location....

Reckon no NBA players are going to be passing through Montreal anytime soon. Canadians converge upon Toronto to get an NBA encounter.

ut_jazz Guest
    man i wish i could say that i've met ak and malone like you have, i've never been close to any current nba stars... my sister saw ak at a circuit city once 8) Mark Eaton was in front of me in a checkout line at a office depot once(guy is a giant!) , i didn't ask for his auto cause it looked like he was in a hurry. Thurl Bailey came into the car wash i used to work at, his car was so nice, and it didn't need any cleaning at all.... i've seen a bunch of tennis stars close(roddick, venus and serena, henman, hewitt)....my bro was in the same college class as steve smith (panthers)

Dmanl337 Guest
    I met Bill Walton. I was walking with my bro and we had on sanders and irvin jerseys. He walks up to us and said hey how you guys doing. You guys look like football players. He asked what sport we like best we said b-ball. He then asked which team we liked. We said Orlando Magic. lol. The guy is tall as hell. Well then again maybe im just short. It looked so funny becuase his head looked like it was up near the sun. Were looking up @ him and blocking our eyes cause the sun was beaming

Dmanl337 Guest
    My fam and I also walked right pass jason williams of the bulls in Ny @ the autoshow. We were like yo "J-WILL". He turned around and smiled and waved

ut_jazz Guest
    before or after the accident? mabye he got his ride from that auto show?

Dmanl337 Guest
    This was before his accident. He was walking with his bodyguard.

Dmanl337 Guest
    Also guess who was @ the barbershop my cousin goes to?

LoL Patrick Ewing.

Matter of fact here's all the stars/actors/rappers etc ive met/seen/family seen

Wyclef,Pat Ewing,Jason Williams,Bill Walton, Jaheim, O.P.P,Talib Kweli, Rodney Hampton, Dion Warwick. Jermaine 'Huggy' Hopkins aka Sams from Lean on Me, Usher, Susan Sarandon, Montel Williams, Redman, Joe frasier, I know im missing some but there's my list

Dmanl337 Guest
    Also Gwen Guthrie was my teacher back in 97'.
    http://www.jahsonic.com/GwenGuthrie.html

ESPN NBA BB 2K5 Guest
    ^^Who's Gwen Guthrie? :roll:

I meet Baron Davis at a Charlotte Hornets game. I bought his jersey just to get his autograph.... which I did.
    Also, I seen Ronald "Flip" Murray at Applebee's...

I met Rasheed Wallace and Damon Stoudamire at Lloyd Center, a mall in Portland. My good friend's brother, played ball with Dan Dickau at Prarie High School in Vancouver, Washington, I've met him twice. And when I was 5 or 6 I met Clyde Drexler and Jerome Kersey, I stole Drexler's sprite when I went to met him and he told me to just keep it. Good times. At a Mariners game in July me and my dad were about 6 feet from Bill Russell, didnt met him though.

I have also met 9 Seattle Mariners players, and Richie Sexson, but that is a different sport.

StrikeThree Guest
    wow some of you strectch it prettty far.

my dads friends brothers uncles kids babysitter knows michael jordan you know?

drexlerfan11 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mariners_in_2005
    I met Rasheed Wallace and Damon Stoudamire at Lloyd Center, a mall in Portland. My good friend's brother, played ball with Dan Dickau at Prarie High School in Vancouver, Washington, I've met him twice. And when I was 5 or 6 I met Clyde Drexler and Jerome Kersey, I stole Drexler's sprite when I went to met him and he told me to just keep it. Good times. At a Mariners game in July me and my dad were about 6 feet from Bill Russell, didnt met him though.

I have also met 9 Seattle Mariners players, and Richie Sexson, but that is a different sport.
    damn, i want to meet drexler

Quote Originally Posted by drexlerfan11
    Quote Originally Posted by mariners_in_2005

[***]
    , i want to meet drexler
    I dont remember meeting Drexler too well (since I was so young), but my dad does, he was a huge Blazers fan in the early 90's, Drexler, Terry Porter, Buck Williams, Kersey, they had a good team...

batron Guest
    I have gone to the Jazz's practice center a few times and watched, but I don't like to count it when you meet them at the arena, it is like saying I went to a concert and saw the artist that was preforming. It goes with out saying. I want to know public stories. Also, I saw NBA great Greg Ostertag buying golf clubs at Uintah Golf, I can't imagine how long his clubs are. If we were counting seeing players at sporting things, at the summer leagues I saw Dominque Wilkins walk right passed me, but I didn't feel like bothering him, next time I saw him he was being swarmed by dozens of little kids. I also Larry Bird the same day. I also saw John Ameachi in a parking lot in his escalade, I yelled to him while he was driving and he almost hit the car in front of him.

BobbyEscobar Guest
    I was at the St Albans park one day and skip 2 my lou came to the park for a cover shot to some magazine. And i had an Blue and gray NBA ball that matched his outfit so i let them take a pic with it and my cuzin got him to sign it.

ut_jazz Guest
    This one time I went to old mill golf course with a friend(you been there batron?) and Olden Polynice was playing behind me. Well on this one hole I was searching for my ball and OP just starts yelling at us to finish the hole(what are we doing to do the guy is 7 feet tall!) . And so we hurry up and just finish the hole. he did this several times, and this was the first time i've ever had this happen because we are fast players...... a couple months later i find out he got in a fight with some guy at the same golf course. he apparently punched this guy and spit on him.

Pointguard13 Guest
    I won a contest on the radio to have an all day MAVERICKS getaway type of thing.

A Limo picked me and my dad up in front of my house and we drove to DALLAS. We went to this nice restaurant and had lunch with Steve Nash, and his friend. I also saw Ralph Luaren there. The real "Ralph Lauren". He was pretty old, but it was cool to see him too i guess ops:

Then Nash went back to his house to rest for the game that night, and the Limo took us to the AAC center. We got to go in the front offices and see the locker room, training facilities and everything. It' VEYR VERY VERY nice. I got to go shoot on their practice court for a while.

Then the players started to come out, and I stuck around. Good thing, as I shoot around with Tim Hawrdaway and Eduardo Najera. That was fun. I think I made more shots than Najera did Then, I went to go sit on the side line as all the players and coaches were coming out for their warmup practice or whatever it was. AS I was walking up the steps, SHawn Bradley came out of the locker room. He was huge me as we shoke hands on the steps, him being on a higher step than I was and obv much bigger than I was.

Then, we went to go visit the Mark Cuban's offices somewhere in Dallas, where all his business get done, non basketball and some baksetball related. They were simple offices and the place and the building from the outside, you'd never guess it was owned by a billionaire.

When came back to AAC and we went down to center court. I got to shoot around with the two or three other ball boys. It was a rush to see all the fans around, seeeming like they were all wtaching you shoot. Even tho the areana was only 1/2 full at th time, it was still awsome.

Then the starting lineup were introduced. I got to stand in the line and give all the starters high fives as they ran from the bench to the court. And then you know when the team comes together in a hudle after that, I got to be in there too.

But we weren't finished yet. Me and my dad got interviewed on TV that night be one of the side line reportrs on the court. I guess I was nevous and my friends said I said something like " Yeah, there a big TV, and something else but it was supposively funny. The reporter told me the question he was gonna ask me, but I was still overwhelmed.

Then we went to go sit up in Mark Cuban's sweep and watch the Sonics play the Mavs. We lost unfortunately, but it was agreat experience. We also got a bag fun of Mavs stuff including 2 basketball signe dby Nash and Cuban, and 2 authentic jerseys signed by NASH.

batron Guest
    That is a lot of stuff you did. I do know Old Mill golf course, but I haven't ever played there. That is funny that it was OP, because he did end up beating up that guy on the course. He also got arrested for pulling someone over and pretending that he was a cop. That guy is a lunatic.

ut_jazz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by batron
    That guy is a lunatic.
    Indeed

brits24 Guest
    When I was about 5 years old Thurl Bailey was playing for the Utah Jazz and came to the little town I grew up in (Blanding, Utah Only about 3,000 people). I don't remember what he was there for but I remember he was signing autographs and I was at the very back of the line and when it was almost my turn some people cam up to him and said that it was time to leave. He got up and started to leave and I must have looked pretty sad because he turned around and followed me a little ways down the sidewalk and gripped the top of my head and turned me around (I did not know he was walking behind me). He was very nice and polite as he signed my brothers basketball for me!

ut_jazz Guest
    that's a nice man, a little thing he does means a lot to you. wish all pro athletes were like him.

27. I met Robert Horry at this rib joint in Tuscaloosa Alabama. We said what up to each other and kept it moving. I also ran into L. Wright in Memphis at the airport.

drexlerfan11 Guest
    On my plane ride home from Minneapolis, they gave us first class. sitting right in front of me, was Pat Riley. I was like, whoa wtf is he doing here. he was trying to sleep so i didnt ask him for his autograph. this one kid actually woke him up to get his autograph though. Pat looked kinda mad.

Detroit_balla42 Guest
    This girl met this NBA player and tried to send him to jail for rape. I frogot his name though.

Me and my sis met Grant Hill a while back. I know I was a little kid though.

Grant had released this crappy book and was promoting it at the Library where my sister worked at. Spending a couple of hours with him had to be the most boring experience in my entire life.

I also feel bad that people actually bought his book. Well, maybe because he signed it. IDK.

batron Guest
    When I was really young my family and I stayed in a Marriot in SLC because we had people working at my house. Anyways, the Celtics were in town and they were also staying at the hotel. We saw Robert Parish with a local prostitute, he was buying her breakfast, and my mom rode on the elevator with Reggie Lewis, he died a little while after that, it was kind of wierd. Also, Mike Brown used to own a restuarant in Utah when he played for the Jazz called the Brown Bear. Well after he got traded he still owned it, and when the next season rolled aournd he was playing for the Timberwolves and he came to check up on his store, with the whole T Wolves team, this is when Laettner and Gugiliotta were still playing for them, we got a few autographs from them, it was weird to see the whole team in there.

Detroit_balla42 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard13
    I won a contest on the radio to have an all day MAVERICKS getaway type of thing.

A Limo picked me and my dad up in front of my house and we drove to DALLAS. We went to this nice restaurant and had lunch with Steve Nash, and his friend. I also saw Ralph Luaren there. The real "Ralph Lauren". He was pretty old, but it was cool to see him too i guess ops:

Then Nash went back to his house to rest for the game that night, and the Limo took us to the AAC center. We got to go in the front offices and see the locker room, training facilities and everything. It' VEYR VERY VERY nice. I got to go shoot on their practice court for a while.

Then the players started to come out, and I stuck around. Good thing, as I shoot around with Tim Hawrdaway and Eduardo Najera. That was fun. I think I made more shots than Najera did Then, I went to go sit on the side line as all the players and coaches were coming out for their warmup practice or whatever it was. AS I was walking up the steps, SHawn Bradley came out of the locker room. He was huge me as we shoke hands on the steps, him being on a higher step than I was and obv much bigger than I was.

Then, we went to go visit the Mark Cuban's offices somewhere in Dallas, where all his business get done, non basketball and some baksetball related. They were simple offices and the place and the building from the outside, you'd never guess it was owned by a billionaire.

When came back to AAC and we went down to center court. I got to shoot around with the two or three other ball boys. It was a rush to see all the fans around, seeeming like they were all wtaching you shoot. Even tho the areana was only 1/2 full at th time, it was still awsome.

Then the starting lineup were introduced. I got to stand in the line and give all the starters high fives as they ran from the bench to the court. And then you know when the team comes together in a hudle after that, I got to be in there too.

But we weren't finished yet. Me and my dad got interviewed on TV that night be one of the side line reportrs on the court. I guess I was nevous and my friends said I said something like " Yeah, there a big TV, and something else but it was supposively funny. The reporter told me the question he was gonna ask me, but I was still overwhelmed.

Then we went to go sit up in Mark Cuban's sweep and watch the Sonics play the Mavs. We lost unfortunately, but it was agreat experience. We also got a bag fun of Mavs stuff including 2 basketball signe dby Nash and Cuban, and 2 authentic jerseys signed by NASH.

DUDE! That had to be the best day ever.

Pointguard13 Guest
    yea it was.

Pyackog Guest
    Was playing in a park pickup game a number of years back and Anthony Mason showed up and played with us.

I got dunked on by him too...of course at 6-0, 175 at the time I was running away by the time he got near me. I ain't taking a charge from that monster in streetball.

dirtybirdie Guest
    i only met walt williams :/ when walt used to play for dallas, i guess he lived in plano me and my frend saw him and got his autograpgh. He seemed kinda ticked ogg cuz he was trying to play with his baby son

Donovan4mvp Guest
    Hey, if your a 19 year old white girl, just hang out in Colorado and I bet you'll meet Kobe :wink:

Dmanl337 Guest
    ^^ that was cold. lmao

lllll33lllll Guest
    one time...........my face wuz right in front of Michael jordans, Inches away.............................................. .................................................. ...........then i finnally decided to back away from the tv.

i almost met marbury once...............and richard jefferson.........n from baseball alfonso soriano.

MYGodsonThaProfessa Guest
    I was never even close to meeting an pro athlete, BUT when i was in 2nd grade our elementary school had an assembly and one of the gold medal winners from the olympics was there. She let everyone in the school hold the medal. I went to the and1 thing and saw a ton of and 1 guys there at the open run, i was sitting down watching the open run right next to some stairs and main event walked right by me, i coulda tripped him if i stuck my arm/foot out.

yeldarb12 Guest
    one of my best friends used to live in ohio and played a pickup game with wally

AIRjordan23 Guest
    pointguard you are the luckyiest ☺☺☺☺t alive LOL. You got to have a day with steve nash and then go to the game.

I have never met a pro athelete but at my camp that i used to go to Ive met college football players and this year i met someone from the philadelphia soul at my camp but i dont really care bout arena football.

And Tony Resh the Philadelphia Wings coach or used to be coach was the director of my camp. Me and him are good friends and whenever i see him at my schools football games we talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast