Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Artest suspended for rest of season

  1. #1

    Artest suspended for rest of season

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1928540

    Indiana's title hopes will be diminished now

  2. #2
    It appears the Indiana Pacers will pay a heavy price for Friday's embarrassing melee.


    Ron Artest has been suspended for the season, while teammates Stephen Jackson received a 30-game suspension, and Jermaine O'Neal, a 25-game suspension, ESPN.com's Marc Stein and Insider Chad Ford have learned.


    "The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident -- that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self control that should rarely be accepted from NBA players," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Sunday.


    The Detroit Pistons will be without Ben Wallace for six games.


    Indiana's Anthony Johnson also received a five-game suspension.


    Eldon Campbell, Chauncey Billups and Derrick Coleman, as the Pacers' Reggie Miller each received 1-game suspensions and $35,000 fines for leaving the bench following the initial altercation between Wallace and Artest.


    "We must ... not allow our sport to be debased by what seems to be declining expectations for behavior by fans and athletes alike," Stern said in the statement.


    Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at spectators in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game -- began serving suspensions Saturday night when the league handed down indefinite bans until specific number of games could be decided upon.


    The brawl was particularly violent, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was tossed at the players.



    Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.


    Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard, two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the fight ended, the referees called off the remainder of the game. Pacers players were pelted with drinks, popcorn and other debris as they rushed to the locker room. The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward.



    But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.


    "He was on top of me, pummeling me," fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, 'Did you do it? I said, 'No, man. No!"'



    Jackson joined Artest and threw punches at fans, who punched back. At one point, a chair was tossed into the fray.



    Security personnel and ushers tried to break it up. Former Pistons player Rick Mahorn, who was seated courtside as a Detroit radio analyst, also stepped in.


    Artest was benched for two games this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.



    Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.



    Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago.

  3. #3
    :shock:

    For Artest, do they mean the playoffs too?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,925
    Quote Originally Posted by BN
    :shock:

    For Artest, do they mean the playoffs too?
    How will they make the playoffs anyways?

    JO - 25 games
    Jackson - 30 games
    Raptors | Wizards | Clippers

  5. #5
    JaguarsFan54 Guest
    wow....i cant believe that...and w/o pay :shock:

  6. #6
    AIRjordan23 Guest
    WOW i just heard this on fox while i was watchin the eagles game. The pistons fans set up the pacers. Looks like its pistons heat in the eastern coference finals

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,925
    Quote Originally Posted by JaguarsFan54
    wow....i cant believe that...and w/o pay :shock:
    ...just give the Pacers more money, if they lose fans from it, it won't hurt them as much because they don't have to pay those guys :wink:
    Raptors | Wizards | Clippers

  8. #8
    NYGiants Guest
    this is ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺. David Stern can go to hell. Artest was provoked and I think he should have gotton a 30 game suspension but not the whole year. This could hurt David Stern anyway. Ticket sales may drop way down and ratings for nationally televised games will go down when the Pacers are on.

  9. #9
    blah Guest
    That is really stupid, the Pacers got the worse end by a mile, on of the best eastern teams will not make the playoffs anymore, the next 30 games they will be like 10-20 MAX. The crappiest part is that Wallace gets off easy with 6 stupid ass games.

  10. #10
    AIRjordan23 Guest
    all wallace did was shove artest. Also sucks for all the pacers fans who baught season tickets. thats just a shame what a waste.

    next time pistons pacers play its gonna be bad. they shouldnt let fans go to their next game.

  11. #11
    NYGiants Guest
    Well, if i'm an NBA player I will be afraid to play in India now. We will see some pissed of Pacer fans who will take it out on the other team if. This could end up in another brawl. The players better stay under control in India because I guarentee you if they don't then we will see another altercation.

  12. #12
    Malkav Guest
    Because Wallace didn't blow a fuse and jump into the crowd and attack a fan. If you failed to notice reguardless the fault the fan had in it does not give a NBA player the right to leave the floor and attack a fan. Lets face it Artest ☺☺☺☺ed his career because he can't keep his temper controlled.

    Wallace suspended because he did hit artest in face with his shove which is usually ground for a small suspension.

    Players are payed to play the game and entertain the fans, avoiding and ignoring the fans ridicules no matter the annoyance.

    Would you justify if Wallace did the same thing in Indiana if a fan did the same thing? Lets be realistic now.

  13. #13
    cowboys_are_#1 Guest
    Yeah I thnk this is way to harsh for Arrest, I would say why but I would just repeat myself. Pistons well now beat the Pacers easily, because they couldn't do it with a full Pacers roster.

  14. #14
    dirtybirdie Guest
    hmm interesting.
    what did Anthony Johnson do? that short pudgey man doesnt seem like he can hit for ballz

  15. #15
    bhl Guest
    maybe the bulls wont finish last in the east after all from this...hitting a fan for throwing something at you doesn't seem to be as bad as strangling a coach in my opinion.

  16. #16
    AIRjordan23 Guest
    i was sorta shocked to see that david stern had enough balls to suspend artest for the whole season.

  17. #17
    hmm interesting.
    what did Anthony Johnson do? that short pudgey man doesnt seem like he can hit for ballz
    I read the article too, and I was wondering the same. Does anyone know what Anthony Johnson did to get suspended? An entire season without pay is rather severe. Especially considering that Artest didn't punch the fan that he grabbed in the first place. I agree that it should have been severe, but d*mn. So basically, the fans started whole thing, and the Pacers getted royally screwed in the butt for it, because they tried to defend themselves. One thing for sure, if the Pistons win the championship again this is how it's going to look in the history books...

    2004-2005 Champions: Detroit Pistons*

    * Fans had to attack the Pacers players, in which unprecedated suspensions were given causing the lowest win/loss record for a team with a 60+ wins the year before, in order for the Pistons to have a chance of repeating

  18. #18
    wait, rest of season, does that mean that if somehow Indiana makes the playoffs Artest will be able to play?

  19. #19
    Malkav Guest
    Artest punched count it 4 fans not even the one who threw the cup in the first place.

    Jackson attacked fans who where trying to pull artest off a fan.

    O'Neal lucky he didn't plant his feet on that punch caught on the tape. Also punched a few fans off the tape too.

    A. Johnson was suspended for leaving the bench and pushing Wallace.

    Miller got 1 along with billups and coleman.

    Wallace got 6 for the hard shove to the face.

    There is no justification for artest attacking anyone in the audience. When you play in the NBA leaving the floor and charging into the crowd to attack a fan could result in assault charges on Artest.

    NBA made their punishments known the Oakland County Police Department are still investigating if any domestic charges will be filed against Artest (any other individual involve seen fit).

  20. #20
    BobbyEscobar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkav
    Artest punched count it 4 fans not even the one who threw the cup in the first place.

    Jackson attacked fans who where trying to pull artest off a fan.

    O'Neal lucky he didn't plant his feet on that punch caught on the tape. Also punched a few fans off the tape too.

    A. Johnson was suspended for leaving the bench and pushing Wallace.

    Miller got 1 along with billups and coleman.

    Wallace got 6 for the hard shove to the face.

    There is no justification for artest attacking anyone in the audience. When you play in the NBA leaving the floor and charging into the crowd to attack a fan could result in assault charges on Artest.

    NBA made their punishments known the Oakland County Police Department are still investigating if any domestic charges will be filed against Artest (any other individual involve seen fit).
    But Artest should get the same amount as Stephen Jackson

  21. #21
    Dmanl337 Guest
    sad day for any fan of basketball. That's way too much time off for artest and oneal and way too little time for ben. I dont argue jackson's becuase he was just an ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ the whole time. Big ben should get more than 6 imo.

  22. #22
    Dmanl337 Guest
    o yea also the east just got even weaker

  23. #23
    NYGiants Guest
    If they make the playoffs Artest will be able to play. I feel really bad for Reggie Miller because this is supposed to be his last year. His chances of winning a championship are basically gone. I hope he comes back next season because he deserved another shot at a title. When he get's back I think were gonna see some signs of the old Reggie. He will do whatever he can to get this team into the playoffs. I think this incident will light a fire under his ass. I'm a Celts fan and I can basically say we have no shot so i'm rooting for the Pacers to win the title if they celts dont make the playoffs or get eliminated. I want Reggie to get his title and it would be an amazing success story even though it is almost impossible

  24. #24
    Dmanl337 Guest
    yea poor reggie. I gotta give him props though for not doing what so many have done over the years. Which is hop onto a "contender" and take a pay cut to win a ring.

  25. #25
    Dmanl337 Guest
    David Stern is an ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺. He said basically he factored in other stuff ron has done in the past in his decision today. Also he said that maybe if someone else had done what ron did then maybe the punishment wouldn't have been so bad.
    The player asso. said they would appeal. Imo you cant factor in the past with what happened in that game.

  26. #26
    REDSFAN2004 Guest
    i guess ron artest can spend his time off now working on his rap album or that rap album hes producing.

  27. #27
    Laker-4-Life Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmanl337
    sad day for any fan of basketball. That's way too much time off for artest and oneal and way too little time for ben. I dont argue jackson's becuase he was just an [***]
    the whole time. Big ben should get more than 6 imo.
    EXACTLY! And the eastern conference will be weaker and teams like the Pistons, Heat, and Magic will dominate.

  28. #28
    StrikeThree Guest
    Ron Artest sequence of events from what I see in the video after being shoved by wallace

    1) Lies on table, minding own business
    2) Shouts something to Wallace, sits back down
    3) Puts on headphones
    4) Reggie takes them off, something flies by Ron's head and ron gets agitated
    5) Lies back down on the scorers table, in a posing manner.
    6) Jumps in stands where it then becomes blurry. You can see him go after the one guy and then a whole bunch of people on him.
    7) Runs onto floor
    8) Walking with coach as beer is thrown at him and 2 dumb piston fans appear.
    9) Runs at the guy wearing the jersey and punches him in the face
    10) Fends off the 2 fans and walks away from the melee, into free throw line where coach grabs him
    11) Held by coach at center, and then Austin Croshere
    12) Police come over, exits as fans throw LOTS of beer at him

  29. #29
    Malkav Guest
    Point is you cannot assault someone just because they threw something at you. It is against the law. Artest will be lucky he doesn't get slapped with several charges of assault on top of being suspended for the season.

  30. #30
    StrikeThree Guest
    Not to mention civil suits..

    he went after the wrong guy and im sure he will want money

  31. #31
    go pack go Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyEscobar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkav
    Artest punched count it 4 fans not even the one who threw the cup in the first place.

    Jackson attacked fans who where trying to pull artest off a fan.

    O'Neal lucky he didn't plant his feet on that punch caught on the tape. Also punched a few fans off the tape too.

    A. Johnson was suspended for leaving the bench and pushing Wallace.

    Miller got 1 along with billups and coleman.

    Wallace got 6 for the hard shove to the face.

    There is no justification for artest attacking anyone in the audience. When you play in the NBA leaving the floor and charging into the crowd to attack a fan could result in assault charges on Artest.

    NBA made their punishments known the Oakland County Police Department are still investigating if any domestic charges will be filed against Artest (any other individual involve seen fit).
    But Artest should get the same amount as Stephen Jackson
    more like jackson should get the same as artest and so should o'niel. oh the fans deserved getting hit yea ok. the fact they went into the stands and oneil almost killed someone not to mention artest went after the wrong guy. they're all thugs and the reason im saying that is when jackson was in the tunnel heading into the locker rooms he said "we ride together". what a ☺☺☺☺ing idiot. ☺☺☺☺ him ☺☺☺☺ oneil and ☺☺☺☺ the union for appealing. i hope stern doubles their suspensions. please feel free to look at the sig and think about the suspensions

  32. #32
    Tell what's wrong with these equations?

    Why do people believe that just because they get paid millions of dollars that they have the RIGHT to treat an athlete anyway that they want because fans believe they're paying their salaries?
    With this type of thinking, you can basically treat ANY person with a job anyway you like, because everytime you buy something you're literally paying someone's salary at some point. Since I pay taxes, maybe I should have my local police come over my house and clean my car. Better yet, the next time I get pulled over for "driving too slow in a residential area (long story)", I'll throw a plastic cup in his face because I disagree with him. I can do that right? I mean, I DO pay his salary because I DO pay taxes on EVERY dollar that I make, so I should be able to treat him/her anyway I want? Right?

    Why do people believe that getting paid millions of dollars means giving up your self-respect? So you're telling me that at a certain dollar amount, a person has to give up their self-respect? So if I sign a contract worth $10 million/yr to (and I'm going to take a non-athletic job) install computers in the top 10 Fortune 500 companies, that gives the CEO the right to come to me while I'm working on installation and start hurling insults at me? You're telling me that I suppose to walk away each and every time and report the CEO and HOPE that something is done? The point that I'm making is that people act like that the atheletes have NEVER done the right thing before. Believe me, they have, but it's OBVIOIUSLY that there's not enough punishments to deter fans from doing the same thing. Aside from being escorted from the permises, what else is done? Hmmmmm? As far as that fan is concern, he DOESN'T care that he was escorted out. All he's going to do is go home and catch the sportcenter highlights with the attitude of "I'm a season ticketholder. I have 30 more games to go to."

    Why do people believe being an athlete is just an "easy" job?
    I don't where people get the idea that being an athelete is such an "easy" job. To an athlete, their sport is their trade and they work hard to be the best in it. They work out because they HAVE to do. They travel to all these other cities and spend LARGE amounts of time from their famlies, because they HAVE to. If the athelete is not working out, then do morning/evening practices 3-5 times a week they HAVE to. Not only do they put more time in their profession in one week than most people do in 3 months, they also don't have the privacy like you and I take for granted everyday. Now, 99% of this board CAN'T STAND being called by telemarkters, but imagine if reporters were always in your face wanting interviews or people always bothering you for autographs everytime you go out in public just to enjoy a simple movie. I'm not even going to bother telling you how much MORE time that athletes give up if they have endorsements. I have an relative that's a professional athlete (don't bother asking, because it's none of your business) says that he hate what comes with the money, but he continues to play because he loves to play basketball at the highest level of competition. IMO, "easy" would be if they were paid $10 million/yr, but all they have to do is jump in their cars, go to the game, play, come home, and don't have worry about doing nothing else until the next game.

    Why do people believe that professionlism is applicable to any job above $100K a year?
    Professionlism is applicable to ALL jobs where one has to interact with people. Period. Professionlism is professionlism no matter how much money that you're making. I don't know about everyone else, but I expect the same type of professionlism from an employee at McDonald's like I do from a lawyer. IMO, there'e no such thing as "higher" level of professionlism. They are going to be times when people will "break" their professionlism at one point or another; henceforth, that's we have the term "customer complaints". Obviously, someone wasn't being professional. And please...don't act like I'm the only one that ever went into some high class resturant, and the waiter/waitress was coping an attitude like I was beneath them somehow.

    IMO, this incident was GOOD for the NBA. You heard me...GOOD.
    1) Artest, O'Neal, and Jackson indirectly showed that the players are not going to tolerate this behavior no more, as well as police departments will be setting precedents in actually ARRESTING people for disorderly conduct vs. just merely escorting the offender outside.

    2) Stern has set a precedent for players as to what to expect if they run into the stands and attack fans.

    3) A Eastern conference rivarly was created. Personally, I was getting tired of always hearing about the d*mn Western conference.

    At this point, both sides know what to expect for the consequences of their actions. Fans face a possible *ss whopping and criminal charges. Players face lengthy suspensions WITHOUT pay. I'm a Pacers fan, and I agree with the penalties (as much as I hate to admit it). Actually, I thought that Jackson should have gotten more, because he just seem like he was itching for a fight BEFORE Artest went into the stands; however, I totally disagree with O'Neal's suspension. I would given him only 15 games, simply because at the point that he threw the punch, he COULDN'T have known who was friend or foe. Secondly, why would the fan be on the court other to do bodily harm? Like one poster said, he was obviously not down there to get an autograph.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •