Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GI News (Note from 2K Elizabeth: Rumor -- not real plot)

Quote Originally Posted by nattylife View Post
    maybe the giant squid boss fight turns out to be the alternate ending to watchmen?

You mean closer to the real ending

The only way I see the giant squid is, going outside of rapture/or in a flooded area where an outer wall is knocked out and boom there is the squid. Maybe intoxicated with the fumes that was used on splicers or with Adam. And ther's your fight.
    That would make sense and not be so bad to have.

"I Never Sleep Cuz Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death"-Nas
    Quote Originally Posted by nattylife View Post
    maybe the giant squid boss fight turns out to be the alternate ending to watchmen?
    i hope so.. ^__^

I'm not judging just yet, but jeez, I can't help but think how much of a 'normal' FPS this is going to be, it's looking like they dropped al the philosophic and political themes that were in the first game, now focusing on Bos battles, and epic boat chases... I hope I'm wrong though.

Anyone feeling the same?

I have to try really hard to be positive about this.

Big Daddys > Soviets. I can play ten other games to fight Soviets, and one or two of them probably have mutated Soviets.

I'd take Bioshock's thought inspiring story over battles with squids and rhinos any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Wolf View Post
    Spliced dog/Rhino - RE

Giant Squid - was in Gears of War 2

Taking advantage of Soviet/Spilcer fights - MGS4 and GTA.
    This is actually quite interesting, now that you mention it. Could this perhaps suggest this info is fake? After all, if this is true, that would make BS2 more of a pastiche piece of other FPS's if all of this is true...which I hope it isn't, but you never know.

Very interesting for all those eerie similarities though...

Quote Originally Posted by AspirationRealized View Post
    I have to try really hard to be positive about this.

Big Daddys > Soviets. I can play ten other games to fight Soviets, and one or two of them probably have mutated Soviets.

I'd take Bioshock's thought inspiring story over battles with squids and rhinos any day.
    Soviets are just Nazis in a different uniform (I mean in how they're used in games. I'm not saying all Soviet citizens were Nazis, and I realize the political differences.) and I sort of feel that due to that Bioshock 2 would sufficiently underwhelm. I mean, Bioshock had a class and character all its own, and I hope they can manage to make the sequel to match it.

As far as the Soviet soldiers/agents go, I don't think I'd actually mind them to be quite honest. If they can somehow manage to make them a combination of the splicers and various NPCs in Rapture from BS1 (i.e., each had their own distinct FEEL to them; a personality) and that each kind of felt alive, I think it would be a great moral quandry if you wanted to attack them or not. After all, they ARE just doing their job right? And the Kremlin wouldn't take kindly to them coming back empty-handed...but on the other hand, with the kind of stuff down in Rapture, that could put them light years ahead of the U.S. and for an American in the '60s, that would be unthinkable...

Quote Originally Posted by Who_is_Atlas? View Post
    And the Kremlin wouldn't take kindly to them coming back empty-handed...
    But that's the thing. Unless they want to really break the fourth wall, you know what's going to happen. None of the rumored Soviets would be going back.

The spliced up animals and Giant Squid really feel out of place if you ask me. I don't understand why the citizens of Rapture would waste such a valuable resource like ADAM on their pets when they are literally killing children to get it. Also I can't picture a squid taking more than one bullet before it runs away, most animals like to avoid painful situations and a fight sounds pretty painful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhtagn View Post
    But that's the thing. Unless they want to really break the fourth wall, you know what's going to happen. None of the rumored Soviets would be going back.
    To some extent, I believe it would matter on the actions you took in the game. Perhaps the ending(s?) are reflective of this. Maybe, if this information is true, you have at points the possibility of forming a brief alliance with them to take down something bigger than yourselves, the Big Sister coming to mind. Maybe whether or not, similar to BS1, how you choose effects their fate in the ending? I doubt Abbott really cares for Rapture all that much himself, all he wants is the kid (his daughter?) back. I think it likely forming alliances could potentially be a part of the next game too; if this info is all true, the Telepathy plasmid suggests a great deal of NPC interaction in the game.

It doesn't really matter to me, mind you, I don't really want Soviet agents in all that much either; just looking for ways to make their presence, if it's inevitable, an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenspawn View Post
    The spliced up animals and Giant Squid really feel out of place if you ask me. I don't understand why the citizens of Rapture would waste such a valuable resource like ADAM on their pets when they are literally killing children to get it. Also I can't picture a squid taking more than one bullet before it runs away, most animals like to avoid painful situations and a fight sounds pretty painful to me.
    As someone else noted, while it's doubtful pets were truly widespread in Rapture (no matter how many dead cats you see in BS1 ), it's very likely preliminary ADAM tests were on animals. If the info is true, the test subjects were probably dogs.

As for the squid, possible that she's been eating the sea slugs all her life...and that's why she's gotten so big; the squid might have had its metabolism slowed down to the point of near biological immortality or something (hence why it's so frigging big).
    Last edited by Who_is_Atlas?; 03-13-2009 at 06:35 AM.

I don't like the thought of the telepathy plasmid.
    Could slow the gameplay down somewhat, or become repetitive. I just can't see all this chaos going on and then stopping to see what someones thinking.

To some extent, I believe it would matter on the actions you took in the game. Perhaps the ending(s?) are reflective of this. Maybe, if this information is true, you have at points the possibility of forming a brief alliance with them to take down something bigger than yourselves, the Big Sister coming to mind. Maybe whether or not, similar to BS1, how you choose effects their fate in the ending? I doubt Abbott really cares for Rapture all that much himself, all he wants is the kid (his daughter?) back. I think it likely forming alliances could potentially be a part of the next game too; if this info is all true, the Telepathy plasmid suggests a great deal of NPC interaction in the game.

It doesn't really matter to me, mind you, I don't really want Soviet agents in all that much either; just looking for ways to make their presence, if it's inevitable, an interesting one.

As someone else noted, while it's doubtful pets were truly widespread in Rapture (no matter how many dead cats you see in BS1 ), it's very likely preliminary ADAM tests were on animals. If the info is true, the test subjects were probably dogs.

As for the squid, possible that she's been eating the sea slugs all her life...and that's why she's gotten so big; the squid might have had its metabolism slowed down to the point of near biological immortality or something (hence why it's so frigging big).
    But how would they do the giant squid fight without reminding Gears of War 2? Underwater fights?

Quote Originally Posted by Doofeh View Post
    Could slow the gameplay down somewhat, or become repetitive. I just can't see all this chaos going on and then stopping to see what someones thinking.
    The Telepathy plasmid does not slow down time; this allows you to look into the thoughts of NPCs, can passwords and find out weak points (similar to the camera in BS1, it seems). The other, unnamed plasmid, does. Just hoped to clear that up.

But how would they do the giant squid fight without reminding Gears of War 2? Underwater fights?
    It's kind of why I'm leaning towards the idea that this could all very possibly be some sort of fake. After all, as I mentioned earlier, this seems like a pastiche of past FPS's. I REALLY hope 2K Marin isn't going in that direction, but I'm not sure how they could make it original without it being obviously based on Gears of War 2.
    Last edited by Who_is_Atlas?; 03-13-2009 at 06:39 AM.

The Telepathy plasmid does not slow down time; this allows you to look into the thoughts of NPCs, can passwords and find out weak points (similar to the camera in BS1, it seems). The other, unnamed plasmid, does. Just hoped to clear that up.
    Yeah, i didn't mean literally slow down time. But slow down the pace of an otherwise fast paced game. Sort of like having a sneaking section in it.

Funnily enough it's the slowing down time plasmid I don't like the idea of. See there's too much taking ideas off other games (Max Payne or Prince of Persia) for me to wonder if this is real.

It's definitely possible that the first test subjects were on dogs, but that doesn't explain why they would splice up a Rhino unless it was a accident. While Looking back at the first bioshock there is a squid seen during Jack's entrance into Rapture so it is plausible he would run into it in the broken areas of the city.

I don't quite understand how the rumored magazine info is considered a spoiler, but anyway, let's follow the rules.

So, if this is true, the description sounds quite good except Soviets. Come on, this is not Red Alert Underwater With Guns. So cheap... It's Bioshock. B-i-o-s-h-o-c-k. The dystopian isolated artistic world.

Fights with rhinos, squids? Reminds me the final boss fight in Bioshock 1, which was the least satisfying part of the game, actually. The search for exotics went over the board Unless... they implement it well.

On the other hand, I like the new main character - the private investigator. Telepathy plasmid sounds especially intriguing. Bullet time aka time control is also cool Underwater exploration - let's nod to that.

By not ever playing Gears 2.
    Yep, guilty as charged. So I have no idea what you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Kyburz View Post
    I would just say I really hope that 2k Marin is keeping Bioshock an intellectual game with some real substance and deep ideas and not just a game where you can shoot monsters and evil commies.
    I couldn't agree more.

Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere. Through intelligent and immersive storytelling. That's the defining characteristic of Bioshock.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere. Through intelligent and immersive storytelling. That's the defining characteristic of Bioshock.
    I also agree, like I said, it appears like they're turning it in to a 13 in a dozen kind of shooter, a plague in this industry in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Also agreed. Atmosphere and story in bioshock is probably the best ive experienced in a game. What i loved with Bioshock, is everyone there seemed to have a place and a purpose. We learn the history of almost every character in the game. Even with the splicers, whilst a large group of people, we knew their history. A bunch of soviets, would be back to killing a load of people in the same uniform and would ruin what is Bioshock.

and I agree with like the last 10 people who thinks this is silly -- I'm still buying BS2 no matter what and they're still getting my money, but like most of the people here I really hope most of this is false. I like the PI idea (harmless), the telekinesis idea (useful and BS1-esque) and the underwater exploration (cause a bit of the city is underwater!) but if it's true, then..

Red Alert Russians + Ridic Giant Squid + no traditional Iconic BDs + only 1 BS + Resident Evil spliced dogs + Fallout 3 Robots = blech.

Can't wait to get that GI.

Also agreed. Atmosphere and story in bioshock is probably the best ive experienced in a game. What i loved with Bioshock, is everyone there seemed to have a place and a purpose. We learn the history of almost every character in the game. Even with the splicers, whilst a large group of people, we knew their history. A bunch of soviets, would be back to killing a load of people in the same uniform and would ruin what is Bioshock.
    completely agree with this.
    Last edited by Sykora; 03-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Soviets are ok, but co-op simply sucks. They can't force me to play with somebody else.

Hence why, if this is all true, that I said: if this is the path 2K Marin is taking, they NEED us to feel that the Soviet agents/soldiers are at least fellow human beings. While we had only a few stock phrases for the splicers, that at least made them feel alive, at least to me. And, again, if we're getting more NPC interaction, these are our (pardon the pun) likely comrades we're going to get in Rapture. If 2K Marin knows anything, we'll a humanized, mostly frightened group of people who know if they go back to their homeland empty-handed, they'll probably be killed for it (and later, they can be killed in Rapture; ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't, right?).

2K Marin needs to avoid the common trope of making your enemies into unsympathetic monsters; the best kinds of story-telling, like in BS1 where Ryan and Fontaine were clearly the bad guys, at least make you feel sorry for ONE of them (Ryan, for me, at least). They're human beings, and like most, they probably have human beings; 2K Marin needs to make us think of that before we mindlessly pull the trigger on them. They're fundamentally DIFFERENT people than splicers, who were lost in their own insanity. Make the Soviets feel like living, thoughtful human beings, even if working against Jake, and I'll have no worries, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    Soviets are ok, but co-op simply sucks. They can't force me to play with somebody else.
    I have no idea why people think that co-op is something that has to be forced. It isn't in, say, Halo for example. It wouldn't be forced here either, I'd imagine. And I really don't understand the phobia of having other players in the game.
    Last edited by Who_is_Atlas?; 03-13-2009 at 07:19 AM.

I weep for the loss of Big Daddies. Though as long as i can get a Big Sister figurine to go alone with my 2 Big Daddies and Little Sister figurine then i suppose i might be happy.

Hi guys,

Please do not believe everything you read on the internet.

This rumor circulating is not true.

Grab the Game Informer magazine. It's shipped out and should be to subscribers and on store shelves really soon.

Here is something interesting to chew on. Game Informer updated their site saying the rumors floating around are "wrong on a very "big" point."

It sounds like they might be hinting that Big Daddies are back in?
    http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...932F123CF6.htm

NVM, the news is out
    Last edited by GeneTraitor; 03-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Oh wow, and Liz posted at the same time. Thanks for keeping us posted Liz.

Thanks Liz.. we all should of known better

I actually like the idea of dogs as enemies, though I despise the idea of Sovjet soldiers trying to gain Rapture technology (I actually thought that the Sovjet part was a joke, until I saw page one of this thread). The idea of a giant squids boss battle is pretty good, exciting at least (but not realistic, because giant squids live in depths where one would implode (can't find a better word). We'll se if this info is real ....

Edit:
    I must be really slow typewriter, hehe. It's already confirmed as false.
    Last edited by Rapturian; 03-13-2009 at 07:48 AM.

I will only be 100% sure about what the plot is when i finish the game, meanwhile i read only speculations, and when the time comes we gonna see a trailer and have some info about what is going to be about BS2, we can't say the game is gonna be bad yet nobody can i think

Thanks 2kElizabeth for the clearing the rumor

Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hi guys,

Grab the Game Informer magazine. It's shipped out and should be to subscribers and on store shelves really soon.
    We love you Liz!

Thank God!

Thank God!
    I couldn't have put it better myself. If that rumour was true I wouldn't have touched Bioshock 2 with a 10 foot barge pole. Well...I probably would of rented it but I definitely wouldn't have bought it.

Exclusive fake not-a-screenshot from the Bioshock 2 rumor concerning this thread:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/21v4o8.jpg

I dunno. I'm hoping to see more than just what was brushed upon but not seen in the original game. Really pumped at the moment. Definitely going to hunt for if not actually acquire the magazine.
    Last edited by Fhtagn; 03-13-2009 at 09:16 AM.

when ever someone sees a GI on shelves they need to let us all know so we can go out and buy ourselves a copy ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hi guys,

Gooood. On the other hand, I'll never understand the logic of the publishing industry when the April issue of the magazine is being released in mid-March We are living in the future

I wonder how much of the stuff we have heard is bogus. Everything or just parts of it, since Game Informer mainly adressed the Big Daddy.

We will see... I expect a media blowout with trailers and demos at GDC anyway. Thats about 2 weeks ahead.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast