Thread: Reminder - 2K5 outsold Madden.

Reminder - 2K5 outsold Madden.

I keep seeing reports pop up about how "2K couldn't outsell Madden when it had the license". That's not true. NFL2K5 outsold Madden, and shortly thereafter EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL's properties in video games.

It's also little coincidence that NFL2K5 was $20, and a better game. If/when a price drop comes down, I would expect to see people picking up APF2K8 that might not have done so otherwise. These additional sales may be what makes the difference on whether or not we see a 2K9. Keep in mind - football season hasn't even started yet, and the Christmas season is still ahead of us. There are still plenty of sales to be had before the fat lady sings on this. It's just not really worth debating right now.
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life."

2k5 didn't outsell Madden, but it got better reviews for the most part.

2k5 out sold madden on xbox i believe..

but in copies sold more overall madden won =)
    NGB-WS-MN-Chapter 4
    Chris Akwuegbu-5'10-PG-Nets-22.6PG-8.9RPG-3.0APG

It was just the Xbox version that outsold madden. But their were alot more ps2 players at the time and madden was also on cube, pc, and hand helds which 2k wasnt.

giv3ntalent Guest
    on XPlay they said 2k5 outsold madden 2005 and "it was a coincidence that they bought the NFL license that year"

27k Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbski
    I keep seeing reports pop up about how "2K couldn't outsell Madden when it had the license". That's not true. NFL2K5 outsold Madden, and shortly thereafter EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL's properties in video games.

It's also little coincidence that NFL2K5 was $20, and a better game. If/when a price drop comes down, I would expect to see people picking up APF2K8 that might not have done so otherwise. These additional sales may be what makes the difference on whether or not we see a 2K9. Keep in mind - football season hasn't even started yet, and the Christmas season is still ahead of us. There are still plenty of sales to be had before the fat lady sings on this. It's just not really worth debating right now.
    Doesnt this belong in the "off topic" board where you are moving everything else Madden related to? Just asking....

Bish-Bosh Guest
    2k5 was worldwide, 2k8 is North America only. Madden is worldwide..no competition when it comes to sales really.

StayTrue Guest
    It did outsell on Xbox, but Madden on PS2 was the definitive football game. Another reason it will smash APF into the ground this year as well. Plus having an exclusive football license will always get you a win. APF has ZERO chance of outselling Madden and you're a fool if you even think it has a chance. I'd love for that to happen, but life is real and the hard fact is that all of us have to live in a world right now where the only NFL game is made by a crappy developer such as Tiburon that can't deliver the goods.

Kinda makes me want to belong to a different universe where NFL isn't exclusive and/or Tiburon is awesome at making football games.