Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest pay cut within 1 season in the NBA???

Biggest pay cut within 1 season in the NBA???

I'm just wondering seeing that the Sixers are currently talking about a deal with AI that would equate to a contract of $700K for the rest of this season, if this could be the biggest pay cut ever seen in the NBA for a player? Last season Allen Iverson was on the last year of his contract and was paid $23mil. So could this be the biggest pay cut for a player in one season in the NBA?
    The ORIGINAL 2k Boards Fantasy League
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion
    2K Sports NBA Pick'em 2008 Champion
    2K Sports Drive to the Finals:#2, Congrats Stilesy

Internet_Hate_Machine Guest
    how about $23m to like $3m

wansnt that the deal he got after?

Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I'm just wondering seeing that the Sixers are currently talking about a deal with AI that would equate to a contract of $700K for the rest of this season, if this could be the biggest pay cut ever seen in the NBA for a player? Last season Allen Iverson was on the last year of his contract and was paid $23mil. So could this be the biggest pay cut for a player in one season in the NBA?
    What was sheed making in his last year i know not 23 but it had to be pretty high.
    T-Mac isn't going to get paid next year.
    Shaq won't get more then the MLE.
    242-123 NBA 2k8 Portland Trailblazers
    17-1 NBA 2k9 Portland Trailblazers
    the only way to play is SIM anything else is just uncivilized!

Quote Originally Posted by Internet_Hate_Machine View Post
    how about $23m to like $3m

wansnt that the deal he got after?
    Memphis did not have to pay the $3mil as part of the agreement to allow him to become a free agent.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

He still accepted the deal before he got out of it. So it counts...

Duhon could go from whatever he's getting now to playing in the CBA for 10 bucks a game?

Quote Originally Posted by chello97217 View Post
    What was sheed making in his last year i know not 23 but it had to be pretty high.
    T-Mac isn't going to get paid next year.
    Shaq won't get more then the MLE.
    I believe Sheed was paid $18mil last season and signed a contract with the Celtics which is currently paying him $6mil.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyFE View Post
    He still accepted the deal before he got out of it. So it counts...
    If you accept a contract for $3mil and don't get paid $3mil then that really doesn't count, otherwise I'm sure even AI would be crying having to pay income tax on $3mil that he didn't get.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

I believe Sheed was paid $18mil last season and signed a contract with the Celtics which is currently paying him $6mil.
    You sure he's making that much for 1 year and not 2? They had no cash so they had to sign him to part of the MLE.

wow you're right talk about overpaying for a average pf at the most at this point in his career.

IVODEM Guest
    Marbury.

How much the C's give him?

If you accept a contract for $3mil and don't get paid $3mil then that really doesn't count, otherwise I'm sure even AI would be crying having to pay income tax on $3mil that he didn't get.
    He still accepted to play for it... and it wasn't the money that was the reason why he got out of it so it counts as a paycut he TOOK. It counts... this isn't Amistad. If he does play for Philly though for 700k, that will be even more of a paycut.

You sure he's making that much for 1 year and not 2? They had no cash so they had to sign him to part of the MLE.

wow you're right talk about overpaying for a average pf at the most at this point in his career.
    Yeah, because a 6'11" versatile PF like Sheed is not worth $6mil when the Celtics are paying a PF like Brian Scalabrine $3.4 mil.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

He still accepted to play for it... and it wasn't the money that was the reason why he got out of it so it counts as a paycut he TOOK. It counts... this isn't Amistad. If he does play for Philly though for 700k, that will be even more of a paycut.
    So what you're saying is AI's $23mil to $3mil paycut was the biggest pay cut, up until AI beats it with his $23mil to $700k paycut?
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

If it happens... don't know if it's the biggest paycut in history though.

Yeah, because a 6'11" versatile PF like Sheed is not worth $6mil when the Celtics are paying a PF like Brian Scalabrine $3.4 mil.
    First off Scala got the contract when he had some clutch *** plays during that playoff run the nets made so that was a bad signing period anyway.

And a versitile 6'11 PF who refuses to play in the paint and instead sits at the top of the key and three point line shooting jumpers.

Yes at 35 for 6 million a year for a guy who gives you less then 10 points and less then 5 rebounds is shooting an amazing 37 percent from the field and an outstanding 28 percent from three.

YES THAT IS OVERPAYING.

If Aderson Vajerjo or whatever is getting paid 6.3 and putting up the same numbers more effectively gives you 200% energy and will die on the court for your team is overpaid according to everyone on these forums then Rasheed is extremely overpaid.

If it happens... don't know if it's the biggest paycut in history though.
    Marbury's might be in the running? What did he get paid in his last year with the Knicks compared to what he signed for with the Celtics?

....but come to think of it, I don't think that would count because the Knicks bought his contract out, and then he signed with the Celtics in the same year. So he actually got a pay increase during that year.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

Yeah, you can't count Marbury's.

First off Scala got the contract when he had some clutch *** plays during that playoff run the nets made so that was a bad signing period anyway.

And a versitile 6'11 PF who refuses to play in the paint and instead sits at the top of the key and three point line shooting jumpers.

Yes at 35 for 6 million a year for a guy who gives you less then 10 points and less then 5 rebounds is shooting an amazing 37 percent from the field and an outstanding 28 percent from three.

YES THAT IS OVERPAYING.

If Aderson Vajerjo or whatever is getting paid 6.3 and putting up the same numbers more effectively gives you 200% energy and will die on the court for your team is overpaid according to everyone on these forums then Rasheed is extremely overpaid.
    Well, that's your opinion. The Celtics must have thought otherwise and the last I checked the Celtics had a pretty good record. Sheed is also one of the few defenders in the NBA who can guard big men like Dwight Howard....so I'm sure that might have earned him a few extra duckets.

The Wizards are paying Brendan Haywood $6mil for 10pts. and 10rebs and he's starting. So it seems Sheed is pretty much in the right pay category. Gortat is getting paid about $6mil coming off the bench and putting up 3.9pts and 4rebs. Chicago is paying Brad Miller $12.2mil for 7.4ppg and 4.4rpg. It's sounding like you don't know what the value is of big men in the NBA.

Look, you took a guess and guessed wrong.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

omari_a Guest
    plenty dudes have signed for the vet minumum after getting paid big the previous season... a lot of dudes go from max contracts to ZERO... regardless his 700k is probably more than you make this year

Zero isn't a contract though, so that wouldn't be a paycut, but players do go from big contracts to fairly small ones. What was Malone's paycut after he left the Jazz and went to the Lakers?
    Raptors | Wizards | Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by omari_a View Post
    plenty dudes have signed for the vet minumum after getting paid big the previous season... a lot of dudes go from max contracts to ZERO... regardless his 700k is probably more than you make this year
    Yes, plenty go down....but the question still remains is this the biggest? Superstars usually get paid the highest and the lowest most would go down is to the Vet min. Ai was one of the highest paid players in the NBA. I'm going to take a pretty good educated guess, that other of the highest paid players like Shaq will not play for the Vet min after his contract. Shaq has a couple rings and is getting paid a lot this year, and I don't see him playing for a Vet min. I would imagine he would retire if deciding between the vet min and retiring.

What does AI making more than me this year have to do with the discussion? Oh...yeah, another weak attempt at a personal attack. At least I can say what I do for a living came from working hard and getting an education and not doing anything illegal that would land me in jail, unlike some others I know on this forum.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

omari_a Guest
    obviously someone who made 15-20 somethin million would not be so worried about money if they are gonna sign for the vet minimum, obviously the motive would be something other than money... it's not like they need the money...

oh and I bet me landing in jail made me a stronger person who can handle the real world a lot better than you... i bet you would call the police if you hear a noise when it's dark outside... more street smarts + more book smarts = more success in my future than you got coming in yours... squares don't always come out on top...

and iverson making more money then you has a lot to do with it... you are a hater, this thread was made out of hate... he is better off than you but you still hate on him...

and to answer your question, Michael Jordan took the biggest paycut when he signed with the Wizards for the minimum... he went from 33 million to 1 million... what you got to say now? jordan sucks?

jordan was a rare case, in 2 season he made 63 million dollars... the rest of his career he only made 30 million combined...

But didn't Jordan own a part of the Wizards when he played for them?

omari_a Guest
    But didn't Jordan own a part of the Wizards when he played for them?
    nope... he had to sell his stock in order to play i think...

I thought he played for them because by making them a better team (or putting more butts in seats) he would stand to make more money for the team thus making more money for himself. Though, I never had the internet or access to a lot of info back when Mike was playing for the Wiz so I'm probably wrong.

Nike Knight Guest
    Dam, Jordan's contract was big.

omari_a Guest
    i'm pretty sure that being an owner and a player was not allowed im not positive but im pretty sure he had to sell his stock... then when he was done playing they didn't invite him back he didn't get his shares back...

obviously someone who made 15-20 somethin million would not be so worried about money if they are gonna sign for the vet minimum, obviously the motive would be something other than money... it's not like they need the money...
    That's not necessarily true, there are many people who have made millions in their career and spent it foolishly, as well as more money usually equals more bills and Allen Iverson has been known to have a gambling problem but that's here nor there in regards to the question.

oh and I bet me landing in jail made me a stronger person who can handle the real world a lot better than you... i bet you would call the police if you hear a noise when it's dark outside... more street smarts + more book smarts = more success in my future than you got coming in yours... squares don't always come out on top...
    LOL!!! Now you're trying to categorize me like you know something about my up bringing. I was born and raised in Detroit, I have plenty of street smarts, where I was smart enough to not go down the path of something that would land me in jail. I was also raised around guns my whole life so before I called the police on whoever was making the noise outside my door, they just might find themselves on the business end of my .33, Winchester 30/30, Browning 306 or my Remington 12 Gauge loaded with Buck shot 1st. I'm sure the words "convicted felon" looks really good on a resume, next to the college education credits.

and iverson making more money then you has a lot to do with it... you are a hater, this thread was made out of hate... he is better off than you but you still hate on him...
    So I'm an AI hater is the reason for this thread? I have no reason to hate Iverson, I just don't idolize and defend him like some. AI making more money than me has nothing to do with with this thread. It just seemed like a pretty big pay cut and I was wondering if this was the biggest.

and to answer your question, Michael Jordan took the biggest paycut when he signed with the Wizards for the minimum... he went from 33 million to 1 million... what you got to say now? jordan sucks?

jordan was a rare case, in 2 season he made 63 million dollars... the rest of his career he only made 30 million combined...
    Oh so now that you're done with your personal attacks, you're finally going to get around to answering the question??? Ok, maybe you better go read the question again and use some of those "Street Smarts" or "Education" you where telling me about. The question says "within 1 season". Jordan retired for 2 full seasons from Chicago before he played for the Wizards.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

This was a huge pay cut, but damn AI is hella rich. I would have done the same, it's not like I HAVE to have millions. At least he's not taking the Marvin Harrison approach

omari_a Guest
    Oh so now that you're done with your personal attacks, you're finally going to get around to answering the question??? Ok, maybe you better go read the question again and use some of those "Street Smarts" or "Education" you where telling me about. The question says "within 1 season". Jordan retired for 2 full seasons from Chicago before he played for the Wizards.
    regardless if he retired for 2 seasons or not he still took a 32 million dollar paycut from HIS last time he played. so any way you try to twist it, Jordan took the biggest pay cut...

regardless if he retired for 2 seasons or not he still took a 32 million dollar paycut from HIS last time he played. so any way you try to twist it, Jordan took the biggest pay cut...
    Have you not gotten to the fundamentals of reading yet in that education you're trying to achieve? I clearly said "within 1 season", since it would be an immediate impact where his pay in regards to what teams would offer him could be judged from his last season performance to the upcoming season. Of course Jordan would take a more than average pay cut after he has sat out for 2 complete seasons. Teams don't know what kind of shape he is in and what to expect from a player that hadn't played in the NBA for 2 seasons. There is no "regardless" in how I originally asked the question. You where wrong and tried to ignore the question to make yourself seem right.

Is this question really that difficult for you to understand? Street smarts???? Man, you seem to have no smarts with each reply you make.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

owned. dang

omari_a Guest
    Jordan's pay cut had nothing to do with him being out two seasons idiot. He took the pay cut for the team's benefit.. Do you know how much Jordan could have gotten paid? He is an instant sellout, instant jersey sales, he could have easily gotten a max contract.

If you don't like the answer don't ask the question. Once again, Jordan took the biggest pay cut from one season to HIS next.

iGrey Guest
    Didn't Jordan donate all of his contract to charity anyways? Has nothing to do with the argument, I just remember hearing that..

idk but if he did, great for him

idiot
    It's on.

Flya24 Guest
    red knows what hes talkin about

omari_a Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flya24 View Post
    red knows what hes talkin about
    lol stop ridin his leg, what do you mean when you say he knows what he is talkin about? he is asking a question....

It's on.
    Not worth further humiliating someone that wants to argue about answering a different question than the one that was originally asked.

It's like asking a question like, "what color is the ceiling above us right now?" and them answering "black" and we're both looking up and seeing a "white ceiling".....and them going on and on about how the ceiling that was above them 3 days ago was black, so the ceiling is black.
    Guaransheed:
    2008 Champion

omari_a Guest
    Not worth further humiliating someone that wants to argue about answering a different question than the one that was originally asked.

It's like asking a question like, "what color is the ceiling above us right now?" and them answering "black" and we're both looking up and seeing a "white ceiling".....and them going on and on about how the ceiling that was above them 3 days ago was black, so the ceiling is black.
    you could never humiliate me no matter how hard you try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast