Thread: Optimum Temple ship squad..

Optimum Temple ship squad..

So my lower rank sniper that has shoot n scoot, is psi enabled. I read that you want to have all your team members colonel and to protect the volunteer. I also have a rookie that I put the psi armor on but have not yet activated the ethereal device.

So I am confused.

Does the guy who goes into the chamber also accompany the squad as part of the fire team? If so that means I should at least lvl up the guy before I go into the temple ship correct?

Or Should I lvl up my psi sniper who does not have squadsite but does have the schoot n scoot ability and have him be the volunteer?

I also failed to train any heavies on 'heat' ammo which I am now regretting. I have a few more heavies that I am going to train to get that. Also after reading the write up it recommends taking a support med guy but he really seems to suck at damage.

So what his your optimum set up. This is normal mode not classic or ironman.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    So my lower rank sniper that has shoot n scoot, is psi enabled. I read that you want to have all your team members colonel and to protect the volunteer. I also have a rookie that I put the psi armor on but have not yet activated the ethereal device.

So I am confused.

Does the guy who goes into the chamber also accompany the squad as part of the fire team? If so that means I should at least lvl up the guy before I go into the temple ship correct?

Or Should I lvl up my psi sniper who does not have squadsite but does have the schoot n scoot ability and have him be the volunteer?

I also failed to train any heavies on 'heat' ammo which I am now regretting. I have a few more heavies that I am going to train to get that. Also after reading the write up it recommends taking a support med guy but he really seems to suck at damage.

So what his your optimum set up. This is normal mode not classic or ironman.
    The volunteer has to go on the temple ship mission and has to survive.

Beyond that take your best / most effective soldiers.
    I don't think the templeship is all that much more challenging than other late game missions.
    I can't tell you how your squad should be setup because you probobly play differently than I do and thus have a different optimal squad setup.
    I think at least 1 of each soldier type is always generally good.

Well here is my dilema, Should I use my Sniper as my volunteer OR should I try to lvl up the rookie who is also a gifted guy and see if I can get him up in promotions and hope he is assault or heavy?

If you had your choice what class would you want your Volunteer?

Make your sniper the volunteer.

Send him on the temple ship mission with 5 shivs.

???

Profit.

Temple Ship assault is not that hard. But I would definetly take my best troops. The first time I did it I had 5 Colonels and 1 Lt. Your volunteer does not have to have a high rank, since you can make good use of his psi powers. 2 psi ops are even better. I woudn't take a rookie though. Even a psionic one.

It varies, but in EW I always try to give the volunteer mimetic skin.

It sounds like you are trying to avoid taking a sniper? Why? I personally love snipers. My last play through 1 sniper did most of the damage to the uber ethereal. (Double tap w/ one shot a head shot, then on aliens' turn the uber mind controlled a soldier with neural feedback. Funny to beat the game on the alien's turn.) Also, I find myself using mind fray more than plasma weapons once a soldier has it. Mind fray = 100% kill on sectoids, thin men, floaters & 100% (or close to it) chance of damage and penalties on heavy floaters and all 3 muton varieties. Take the sniper. Don't forget 1 or 2 supports with medpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CthuluIsSpy View Post
    It varies, but in EW I always try to give the volunteer mimetic skin.
    Certainly this.

Any squad configuration should be good enough to beat the Temple Ship as long as you know how to play them (your playstyle is most important), are properly geared and don't go making rookie mistakes. A Squadsight Sniper Volunteer is nice and a Medic Support is, imho, a good option too. But any class works as volunteer as long as you don't do silly stuff with him/her.

The rest of the squad? In EU. I always had one of each class and then a second heavy/assault/support to complete the six. Only once I took two snipers to the Temple Ship. In EW, it's one of each class (which means a Paladin MEC) and the last spot varies (maybe another MEC, or another heavy because blaster launchers are cool, or...).

Level your both Psi soldiers (keep psi training people if you have more). If the non spiner end being any other class, you can have two Psi soldiers in the final mission*, which is a nice bonus. Mindfray obliterates puny aliens, psi buffing is very nice (and cheese to reach rank 3 Psi), and mind control (for high Will) or telekinetic barrier (anyone else or "support" Psi) are good too. So the more, the merrier.

* if he is sniper, you can have both too but only if your playstyle includes using more than one

5 Hover plasma SHIVs and the volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by _Clipped_ View Post
    5 Hover plasma SHIVs and the volunteer.
    That would make the actions of the volunteer w/ regard to the rest of the squad at the beginning of the ending movie rather funny.

The temple ship is about as hard as most end game ufo landing missions with the exception of the final room being 3x harder than the ufo landing control rooms. It is pretty cool to play through THE FIRST TIME.

Sadly, the mission is structured in such a way that most people can recite the spawns to you by heart, and you can abuse squadsight to clear the final room in about 3 actions (not even a full turn) so that the enemies can't even get a shot at attacking you. Most people delete their game and start over when they get to the temple ship assault, counting it as a win... it's just too easy once you've done it once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hortey View Post
    Sadly, the mission is structured in such a way that most people can recite the spawns to you by heart, and you can abuse squadsight to clear the final room in about 3 actions (not even a full turn) so that the enemies can't even get a shot at attacking you. Most people delete their game and start over when they get to the temple ship assault, counting it as a win... it's just too easy once you've done it once or twice.
    Not being able to do critical damage of squadsight targets shouldn't allow to kill the Uber in one turn with one sniper (even Double Tap one), like in EU. But I haven't done the Temple in EW yet. I have a Normal and a Classic games ready for that but as you say, once I reach that point, it's basically "I won". I may have to finish the Classic one for the Second Wave options, though.

Thanks for the heads up. I will continue to do regular missions to lvl up my two Psi guys.

I believe whoever your volunteer is will get all levels of the Psionic skills.

The Temple ship is still easy in EW, even without Squadsight crits. It is exactly the same as EU--I was disappointed that they didn't add in the new aliens like they said they were going to. I went all the way through waiting for new/different spawns, but nothing had changed.

Mindfray has been nerfed, however. I was getting 40-47% to-hit chances with it, making it pretty useless. I might as well shoot if MF isn't a guaranteed kill on weak or injured enemies.

Oh, and I guess the Sectopod room is a little tougher with their EW buff plus their ability to now move immediately on activation.

Quote Originally Posted by shiaika View Post
    Not being able to do critical damage of squadsight targets shouldn't allow to kill the Uber in one turn with one sniper (even Double Tap one), like in EU. But I haven't done the Temple in EW yet. I have a Normal and a Classic games ready for that but as you say, once I reach that point, it's basically "I won". I may have to finish the Classic one for the Second Wave options, though.
    Yea but think about what you are saying. We can no longer SOLO the final boss with a single sniper. Two snipers though? easy. Just hit the thing with a psi attack or rocket to lower it's will and pound away with some snipers using headshot. Even in EW, it's pretty much an autowin mission that wreaks of tedium.

Yeah, I hit the Uber-E with a Blaster Launcher, a Squadsight Headshot, a Rift, then he reflected the shot from one MEC, so I fired a grenade from the other MEC for a sure kill. Took him down in the first turn without even needing the whole squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hortey View Post
    This.
    If the volunteer has high enough will, he/she can clear whole ship alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nalex66 View Post
    Mindfray has been nerfed, however.
    No.

No? Mindfray used to be 100% chance to hit in EU. On my EW Temple ship run, I was going to use it to wipe out some weaker enemies, and I got 40% chance to hit on sectoids. They've definitely changed something. I'm not saying that the damage was nerfed, just the to-hit chance.

I was certainly getting 100% Mind Fray against pretty much everything in EW as well as in EU. maybe you had a low Will Psionic.

I wish they had added the new enemies into the Temple ship at least, or better still changed the spawns a bit, or even better still added some randomisation to the spawns - and also, one tiny tiny change that would make that mission so much better - killing the Uber Ethereal should NOT win the game. That room would then be quite challenging!

"Chance to land Mindfray/Psi panic is 50 + (your will) - (target's will) %."

Hmmm... I wonder what was going on with my game then. My volunteer had 80-something will, plus 20 from the psi armor. Those must have been some high-will sectoids! I'll have to load back into that game tonight and take another look at the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroNavigatrix View Post
    I was certainly getting 100% Mind Fray against pretty much everything in EW as well as in EU. maybe you had a low Will Psionic.

I wish they had added the new enemies into the Temple ship at least, or better still changed the spawns a bit, or even better still added some randomisation to the spawns - and also, one tiny tiny change that would make that mission so much better - killing the Uber Ethereal should NOT win the game. That room would then be quite challenging!
    I still wouldn't call it "quite challenging." Just "more challenging." Killed both elite mutons on my first round in there and hurt the uber enough that when he mind controlled a neural feedback soldier he killed himself. I would have started round 2 with only 2 normal ethereals left. Not easy, but not worse than 2 sectopods. I guess it helped that I had all 3 of the "furies" with me, in psi armor and ALL of my troops had neural feedback.

Ghost grenades make the last room even more of a joke than it was originally. Two MECs can end the final boss without fail on round two without ever allowing the enemies to fire a shot thanks the kinetic strike. That said a pair of squad sight snipers still works perfectly fine in most cases just like with EU. The only nasty bit is the room with the two sectopods and all you need to win that is a bit of planning before you engage them.

The temple mission does not require any extreme build : I did mine with only a single gene moded soldier (neural feedback), 2 sniper MECs, 1 squadsight sniper, and the other 3 classes, with only 1 Psy (the support volunteer). The last room is easier if you focus fire on the uber ethereal first and don't expose the volunteer, but it is not required. You can walz through and kill everyone too. However, if the volunteer gets MCed, I think it is game over.

Any squad is good for temple ship tbh. Only the last room has anything resembeling a challenge. And if you pack 2 col snipers... well i let you figure out what happens then.

That whole ship is nothing but a floating ☺☺☺☺stain on otherwise magnificent and challenging game experience.