Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 141

Thread: Rapture Records

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London - England
    Posts
    123

    Rapture Records

    I saw this article on IGN and was mildly amused .

    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1000767p1.html

    ..But then I had a look on somethinginthesea for the first time in a few days and saw the same record box that was sent to IGN. Upon further inspection, I also saw that Meltzer had placed the record in the vinyl player, and lo - it worked .

    After the recording had finished, the vinyl scratched and a Little Sister spoke, "Daddy, where are you daddy? Are you going to come and find me?" - A trap, a trick - who knows?

    Suspicious? Leave your thoughts and feelings below.
    Last edited by ..Only Man..; 07-03-2009 at 06:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by japester
    But as others have pointed out, we already have 3 threads and several hundred posts about it, so I'm going to close this thread to prevent even more duplication.

    Feel free to discuss the meaning of the record in the Somethinginthesea discussion thread [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=39636]. Or you can talk about your nifty swag in this thread [http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=37680].
    Posted in a thread from one of the few who received the record.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    I remember hearing that tune in the first one. Now I know what it was.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hidden
    Posts
    2,533
    So far, every promotional item sent to IGN has been given so little attention, as to not even have information found on it checked. They act as if "Rise, Rapture, Rise!" was just made for BioShock 2, apparently by Splicers, who wanted to proclaim their ideas to bring Rapture to the surface for no reason. I find their lack of interest to entail that they do not receive this kind content anymore, it's pointless.
    Last edited by MegaScience; 07-03-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Reworded completely. Sorry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympus Hights
    Posts
    390
    If you look I made the 2nd post on that and told them it was in the 1st game.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaScience View Post
    Why are the people at IGN always so ****ing clueless when it comes to BioShock stuff? I mean, they don't even look up anything they find! A simple Google of the Lyrics and they'd know it was "Rise, Rapture, Rise!" by Sander Cohen. They act as it's some new song they made up to suggest something about BioShock 2.

    I'm really getting tired of IGN's responses to these promotional devices. If it were in my hands to say "No more for IGN", I would. Maybe, as we near BioShock 2's launch, maybe they'll actually look up information and be more savvy in their reports.
    Are you serious? Wow. I remember hearing about a song named Rise Rapture Rise in the first one and they even said it was by Cohen. I also remember hearing the tune in the first one but I couldnt tell what they were saying. Doesnt sound like they paid much attention to detail when they played #1.

    The only thing that seems to have anything with Bioshock 2 is the girl at the end.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    uk england
    Posts
    28

    lol

    "this didnt fit in our xbox 360" XD how did thay get there hands on a record player? i have only ever seen one like 2 times in my life! hmm i wonder what thay will send them next??? bag of seawater?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by amonkeyonfire View Post
    "this didnt fit in our xbox 360" XD how did thay get there hands on a record player? i have only ever seen one like 2 times in my life! hmm i wonder what thay will send them next??? bag of seawater?
    I think they said some of their staff had record players or knew people who had record players. I have one from the 80s and it still purrs like a kitten.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    717
    I've found IGN's poor coverage on somethinginthesea and all the cool stuff being released utterly abysmal. IGN doesn't have a clue. I saw one preview on there by some schmo who was real skeptical about the multiplayer, then admitted he never played BS1. Idiot.

    The lastest MP preview on July 2 had essentially no information in there and it was the same skeptical junk about how 2K had to PROVE to them that they would make a relevant MP experience before they really bought into it.

    Come on....IGN, give it up. Where is Gamespot, Gamespy, etc responses? No where...

    Do you think 2K wants a lot of coverage on this or are they just sending to very select companies like IGN and leaving the rest to the cult-like fans?
    Last edited by Docmeff; 07-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.

  10. #10

    Rapture Records

    Dude this is so freaky, I just got an actual copy of Rapture Records In the mail, now all I have to do is find an actual record player. One question though, what is a record player?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    18
    how can I get one of those records? I really want one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by BADDCOMPLEX View Post
    how can I get one of those records? I really want one.
    I don't have the best answer to your question, but from what I've heard, you had to solve a puzzle on the teaser site which would then give you a address. If you bothered to send a letter to that address then you might've gotten lucky enough to receive a reply in the form of this mysterious record.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tenenbaum's Safehouse
    Posts
    84
    It's seriously an actual record and not a CD? Shoot, Ima have some issues. xD
    I guess it still makes for some amazing swag though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Project-Ikara View Post
    It's seriously an actual record and not a CD? Shoot, Ima have some issues. xD
    I guess it still makes for some amazing swag though.
    I found it at my front door this morning! It was crazy and I got the other item too (Paper dolls) I called my mom and asked her if she had a record player and to my surprise she did. I drove to her house and listened to it~ It was super creepy and now I think my mom thinks I am doing drugs or insaine LOL

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tenenbaum's Safehouse
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxman318 View Post
    I found it at my front door this morning! It was crazy and I got the other item too (Paper dolls) I called my mom and asked her if she had a record player and to my surprise she did. I drove to her house and listened to it~ It was super creepy and now I think my mom thinks I am doing drugs or insaine LOL
    How long ago did you send out your letter, anyways? I sent one out about a month ago to get the dolls or drawing, but it hasn't been replied to yet. I'm hoping I see the record on my doorstep Monday.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    What did you guys have to do to get a record? I want one!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Damiana Pawn
    Posts
    115
    All you have to do is send a letter to Mark Meltzer. I got the record in the mail today! Must... buy... record player...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crippie View Post
    All you have to do is send a letter to Mark Meltzer. I got the record in the mail today! Must... buy... record player...
    What letter? And I dont even know the address.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tejas (but I've lived all over)
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_92 View Post
    What letter? And I dont even know the address.
    Oh, come on now!

    The address is still listed on the viral site, it's not hidden or in code.

    It's also been reprinted here at least three dozen times. If you don't want to browse a few pages in the appropriate threads, you could always use the Search tool.....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Project-Ikara View Post
    How long ago did you send out your letter, anyways? I sent one out about a month ago to get the dolls or drawing, but it hasn't been replied to yet. I'm hoping I see the record on my doorstep Monday.
    I sent out a letter about a month ago, I received the dolls about 2 weeks later. I thought that would be the end of it and then the record showed up on my doorstep this morning. I never sent a second letter or anything.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tejas (but I've lived all over)
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxman318 View Post
    I sent out a letter about a month ago, I received the dolls about 2 weeks later. I thought that would be the end of it and then the record showed up on my doorstep this morning. I never sent a second letter or anything.
    As far as I know, everyone who has gotten a record has only sent one letter. I'm not sure if anyone got just a record (like folks who sent in letters after the crayon drawings were mailed out). Most folks seem to have gotten both (a drawing and now the record).

    2K Elizabeth (the mastermind behind the viral site) has hinted in another thread that if people live overseas and haven't gotten anything yet,they might not be out of luck. She said that the post office in the 1960's is a bit slower at sending things across the pond.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Oh, come on now!

    The address is still listed on the viral site, it's not hidden or in code.

    It's also been reprinted here at least three dozen times. If you don't want to browse a few pages in the appropriate threads, you could always use the Search tool.....
    Cool your jets. I just heard about this whole deal. I didn't join untill recently anyway. Sheesh!

    No need to say something rudely that could be said politely.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tejas (but I've lived all over)
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_92 View Post
    Cool your jets. I just heard about this whole deal. I didn't join untill recently anyway. Sheesh!

    No need to say something rudely that could be said politely.
    I was being polite. I told you three ways you could find the info you wanted.

    Rude would have been, "MAN! WHAT'S WITH THESE LAZY PEOPLE REGISTERING JUST SO THEY CAN GO, I WANT A RECORD! SPOON-FEED ME THE INFO I NEED!" But I didn't say that, did I?

    As a general rule of thumb, people here won't bend over backwards to be "nice" if you ask questions that can easily be answered by taking a little personal initiative, whether it's about the record or some other bit of info.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Oh, come on now!

    The address is still listed on the viral site, it's not hidden or in code.

    It's also been reprinted here at least three dozen times. If you don't want to browse a few pages in the appropriate threads, you could always use the Search tool.....
    I had the impression of a dad or uncle (not that I'm saying japester is crimson's dad now, ok?) encouraging his son/nephew to look out for new prospects on his own. Nothing rude.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hidden
    Posts
    2,533
    They should pack all this stuff into the special/limited/whatever edition of BioShock 2... This idea will stand unless duly shot down.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Damiana Pawn
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaScience View Post
    They should pack all this stuff into the special/limited/whatever edition of BioShock 2... This idea will stand unless duly shot down.
    People who get the limited edition of BS2 would be very confused if they got a record or a drawing and had no idea of the viral site. By keeping them separate, those people are still satisfied with the big sister doll or whatever the limited edition will come with, while we laugh to ourselves because we got something else.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anigozanthus Pawn here!
    Posts
    560
    i'm actually hoping, maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but what if because of all of us diehard fans sending letters...we get a free copy of BS2 later on when it's released. I mean, it would a great way to reward our diligence (however you spell that word).

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hidden
    Posts
    2,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crippie View Post
    People who get the limited edition of BS2 would be very confused if they got a record or a drawing and had no idea of the viral site. By keeping them separate, those people are still satisfied with the big sister doll or whatever the limited edition will come with, while we laugh to ourselves because we got something else.
    This stuff is part of the backstory of BioShock 2 (supposedly), so I feel it would work quite well in the whatever edition...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    i'm actually hoping, maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but what if because of all of us diehard fans sending letters...we get a free copy of BS2 later on when it's released. I mean, it would a great way to reward our diligence (however you spell that word).
    Absolutely not worth it for 2K. "Hey, I spammed real mail to a 2K place and got FREE BS2! EVERYONE, DO IT!!!"

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Codename: MAHOGANY. Gathering Critical Intel
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    i'm actually hoping, maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but what if because of all of us diehard fans sending letters...we get a free copy of BS2 later on when it's released. I mean, it would a great way to reward our diligence (however you spell that word).
    Ahh but a truly "diehard" fan would have no problem buying Bioshock. When you go out and buy this game you help to make it a success, and by making it successful you encourage 2K to continue making quality games.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    41
    You guys think I could still get the records or at least something if I sent in a mail now? I'm really interested in these PR materials. What should I write in the letter???

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    RaptureArchives.org
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by mystery85 View Post
    You guys think I could still get the records or at least something if I sent in a mail now? I'm really interested in these PR materials. What should I write in the letter???
    It is best to roleplay a little and have fun. Remember the time period is 1969 so don't mention stuff in the letter that is after the time period etc. The rest is entirely up to you.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Ureh View Post
    I had the impression of a dad or uncle (not that I'm saying japester is crimson's dad now, ok?) encouraging his son/nephew to look out for new prospects on his own. Nothing rude.
    Well I ask a simple question and get a response like that. Once again, didnt know anything about the record untill a day ago and I hadnt been to the teaser site in a long time. And Japester I did go look for it myself after your....helpful response......

    And another. Not a guy. -_-

    All you had to say was. Teaser site, note on desk.

    Oh and I didnt register to get a record. I registered a few days before I even found out about it. I registered, like many, to discuss Bioshock 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Crimson_92; 07-04-2009 at 06:57 AM.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    41
    Oh yeah.. haha I had some fun with the letter alright. Now to mail it in. Regret not participating in this from the beginning. Could have enjoyed every part of this

  34. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hidden
    Posts
    2,533
    I feel I did a good job on mine.

    I grabbed the SomethingInTheSea Flier from the main site, and Photoshopped it to regular dimensions (the original is curled in at the bottom). I, then, blanked the red marker lines and made the picture taped in the middle into a separate file. I also edited the tape marks to blend better. After printing and cutting them out, I filled in the places of red marker with my own real red marker. I put the picture onto it's normal place and taped it down. I even wrote over the pencil area with some pencil, although that isn't nearly as obvious.

    I wrote this note to them in it:

    Dear M. Meltzer:

    Although you have given us much information on the subject of which you are currently investigating, we must ask that you sent us some shred of proof in the matter. Enclosed is your flier, the information source of which was listed did not give us physical proof of any of your claims.

    Yours truly, -+-.


    Address:
    -+-

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaScience View Post
    I feel I did a good job on mine.

    I grabbed the SomethingInTheSea Flier from the main site, and Photoshopped it to regular dimensions (the original is curled in at the bottom). I, then, blanked the red marker lines and made the picture taped in the middle into a separate file. I also edited the tape marks to blend better. After printing and cutting them out, I filled in the places of red marker with my own real red marker. I put the picture onto it's normal place and taped it down. I even wrote over the pencil area with some pencil, although that isn't nearly as obvious.

    I wrote this note to them in it:

    Dear M. Meltzer:

    Although you have given us much information on the subject of which you are currently investigating, we must ask that you sent us some shred of proof in the matter. Enclosed is your flier, the information source of which was listed did not give us physical proof of any of your claims.

    Yours truly, -+-.


    Address:
    -+-
    Yeah, I need to write mine as well. Nice job! : D
    Last edited by Crimson_92; 07-04-2009 at 12:18 PM.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anigozanthus Pawn here!
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Whale Hell View Post
    Ahh but a truly "diehard" fan would have no problem buying Bioshock. When you go out and buy this game you help to make it a success, and by making it successful you encourage 2K to continue making quality games.
    I stand corrected. In fact i've already basically committed to buying it, possibly pre-ordering.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Magenta Pawn 1
    Posts
    169
    Have we figured out what it says on the record? Not the music, but physically on it. There are some words/letters/numbers etched in, but I can't make them out...

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    I am the Nard Dog!!
    Posts
    603
    not gonna lie the girl saying "Where are you daddy" freaked me out

    I think its meltzers daughter

  39. #39
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by whale hell
    Ahh but a truly "diehard" fan would have no problem buying Bioshock. When you go out and buy this game you help to make it a success, and by making it successful you encourage 2K to continue making quality games.
    But that's like making yourself as blind as a religious fanatic and getting a bad game, then saying, "Lets make this (bad) game a success by buying tons of it! That way they can make more (bad) games! yay!"

    I'm not saying BioShock is bad. I have no right to say so, since I've never seen any part of the game (except a few concept art and short snippets of info that is discussed on this forum). I love the first game very much. But I wouldn't just dive face-first into the pool without making sure there's water in there first.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    424
    I'm sending my letter in the mail tomorrow. I hope I get a record too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •