Thread: Ok...Why cant I dunk in my career?

Ok...Why cant I dunk in my career?

My mycareer player currently has his velocity and dunking maxed, has the sprite posterizor skill or whatever, the finisher one, and the highlight reel. I am an 91 overall and have stats in pretty much everything. I havent done a single dunk. Doesnt matter if im open, in traffic, fast break, doesnt matter. Its literally impossible to dunk. I EVEN HAVE THE MICHEAL JORDAN DUNK PACKAGE EQUIPPED + OTHERS. If you google this problem, alot of people are having it and theirs no solution. Has 2K said anything? Regardless, I didnt buy NBA 2k14 to do layups all day long. This needs a fix ASAP. Ive tried everything. Ive tried the shot stick in all different directions, and ive tried square which I usually use. I always have turbo, I literally have done every single thing suggested and me and many others have the same problem. This needs a fix ASAP. I understand this game is going for realism, but I havent done a single dunk at all and I have the stats for it.

Im wondering if it has to do with the playstyle I chose when I made my character? I have no idea, but even so with 92 dunk and my velocity maxed and those signature skills and the dunk packages I have equipped I dont see why I am still not dunking. I mean hell I was even doing layups in street mode a few minutes but dunked twice. Anybody have a solution?

I was going through the same thing. I have the same stuff you have set and out of nowhere I wasn't dunking. but then all of a sudden I was dunking again. This game has more personalities than Cybil.

Yea idk what this is. Ive been dunking from day 1. I get a couple every game. Its probably you pressing your shot stick into the defender. As you round him you have to press towars the rim without your stick doing the direction of the defender at all. Idk ive not had any problems dunking in career or in the park. If you try it too much the defender will usually stop you. BUt idk what you guys are doin that aint working.

I have this same issue. I started with a SF and once I got dunk rating up, he would dunk easily. Restarted career with a PG, but he is 6'5" and his dunk and jump are both 85ish. No reason he shouldnt be dunking. This has nothing to do with defenders or aiming towards the basket. He wont even dunk on fast breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by FAT_STOGIE View Post
    Yea idk what this is. Ive been dunking from day 1. I get a couple every game. Its probably you pressing your shot stick into the defender. As you round him you have to press towars the rim without your stick doing the direction of the defender at all. Idk ive not had any problems dunking in career or in the park. If you try it too much the defender will usually stop you. BUt idk what you guys are doin that aint working.

yeah its not the shot stick cause i cant even do it with square either, on a fast break with nobody around me or anything else. its not me i promise you that. It doesnt make sense to me. I am trying to reinstall it now will see if that for some reason helps fix it

Huh. My dude 6'7 pg but lvl 97 over all. When my first dude ws ranked 75 i didnt really try to dunk so idk if it worked or not cause i expected it not to.

Here's the thing. It happens every year. The people online complain how this should be nerfed and that should nerfed because it's not real. Well the Devs listen so the punish all modes including the offline modes for some odd reason and then were stuck with a non exciting elementary school basketball game.

My boy andi were playing last night and it was constant lay ups. O I went into the settings and jacked up dunks, and verticle and still constant lay ups. Hahaha the Devs obviously know nothing about basketball...posterizing or anything amazing about Basketball!

I found a fix! SO my brother and I shared out PS4 games, and he tried playing need for speed. For some reason when he started it up, he couldnt move. He pressed the RT but nothing happened, it was so strange. I read a fix for it was to delete the game, reinstall it, while the main game is installing, delete the update that is installing with it so that stops dowloading, wait til the main game is finished before u install the update and in doing that he was able to move his car. So this is what you do.

1. Delete the game, save your latest save file to PS+ first.
    2. Reinstall it but do not let the update install.
    3. While it was installing i played a couple games of the default Heat vs Spurs matchup.
    4. When the games done installing, exit out of it, install the patch.
    5. While the patch is installing or after its done, copy the sava data from your PS+ to your system
    6. You should see yourself dunking more. Its still not like the earlier 2k games but you do dunk normally now and do less layups. Was dunking all last night for the first time since i got the system at launch, and ive played this game almost every day.

Quote Originally Posted by iworshipapc View Post
    My mycareer player currently has his velocity and dunking maxed, has the sprite posterizor skill or whatever, the finisher one, and the highlight reel. I am an 91 overall and have stats in pretty much everything. I havent done a single dunk. Doesnt matter if im open, in traffic, fast break, doesnt matter. Its literally impossible to dunk. I EVEN HAVE THE MICHEAL JORDAN DUNK PACKAGE EQUIPPED + OTHERS. If you google this problem, alot of people are having it and theirs no solution. Has 2K said anything? Regardless, I didnt buy NBA 2k14 to do layups all day long. This needs a fix ASAP. Ive tried everything. Ive tried the shot stick in all different directions, and ive tried square which I usually use. I always have turbo, I literally have done every single thing suggested and me and many others have the same problem. This needs a fix ASAP. I understand this game is going for realism, but I havent done a single dunk at all and I have the stats for it.

Im wondering if it has to do with the playstyle I chose when I made my character? I have no idea, but even so with 92 dunk and my velocity maxed and those signature skills and the dunk packages I have equipped I dont see why I am still not dunking. I mean hell I was even doing layups in street mode a few minutes but dunked twice. Anybody have a solution?
    You have to go in edit player and turn on your dunk packages.

Same issue here even with dunk packages equipped.

At least you guys can play the freaking game. Not dunking isnt a huge deal compared to the problems others are having

Hold the Rt and pull down on right stick 4 a flashy dunk while on a fastbreak to build your up dunk attempts.

To all these people responding to MyCareer dunking with the most obvious solutions: Dunk packages,raising possible dunk related attributes, finishers,...IT STILL DOESNT WORK & I'm pretty sure anyone putting effort into posting on here, has like myself, wasted countless minutes in game tweaking everything and getting nowhere to dunk. Even if the whole reinstalling solution worked- NOONE should have this hard of a time doing something that is essential and one of the most entertaining things to do in basketball! i mean c'mon! What's the point of holding a dunk contest in game for MyCareer if you CAN'T dunk?!

Tonytone 22 what worked for me was going to the dunk packages and equipping a dunk on every single package 1 thru 15. after doing that I dunk anytime I'm open. Not sure why that worked but I couldn't dunk at all ever before and I had 85 dunk 90 vert and 90 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytone222 View Post
    To all these people responding to MyCareer dunking with the most obvious solutions: Dunk packages,raising possible dunk related attributes, finishers,...IT STILL DOESNT WORK & I'm pretty sure anyone putting effort into posting on here, has like myself, wasted countless minutes in game tweaking everything and getting nowhere to dunk. Even if the whole reinstalling solution worked- NOONE should have this hard of a time doing something that is essential and one of the most entertaining things to do in basketball! i mean c'mon! What's the point of holding a dunk contest in game for MyCareer if you CAN'T dunk?!

Quote Originally Posted by dat_darthcleric View Post
    Tonytone 22 what worked for me was going to the dunk packages and equipping a dunk on every single package 1 thru 15. after doing that I dunk anytime I'm open. Not sure why that worked but I couldn't dunk at all ever before and I had 85 dunk 90 vert and 90 overall.
    ditto. I wasn't able to dunk at all until I equipped all of my dunk packages. After that, I was able to not only do wide open dunks, but also dunk on people.

I have not been able to dunk and I just noticed the dunk packages last night! I updated 1-15, so I hope I will start dunking now.

I'm embarrassed that I missed that early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytone222 View Post
    Don't worry, the game won't let you in the dunk contest anyways. But seriously for me it was not pressing right trigger/R2 right away and also using X (or PS equivalent) instead of the right thumbstick that got my guy dunking.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by theterr View Post
    ditto. I wasn't able to dunk at all until I equipped all of my dunk packages. After that, I was able to not only do wide open dunks, but also dunk on people.
    Damn haven't checked these forums out in a minute! Thanks for the help everyone, I'll def try adding packages in all of the 15 slots. I was beginning to jus give up and beginning to embrace my big man as a sharpshooter. Although strangely I dunked ONCE, my 2nd season opener and was baffled why it happened then and THEN ONLY. I was beginning to think it was a turbo meter I only noticed after that, which appears under energy bar during drives to the hoop. Turns out that jus distracted me more and didn't seem to have any bearing on dunks at all. Its still a shame that the MyCareer system isn't explained by 2K in better detail, since there seems to be no logical reason of why a 6'7 NBA pro with maxed out dunk stats finally "learns" how to dunk because the NBA somehow becomes his booster seat into the art of jumping and hand feeding a basketball into the basket. Manute Bol & Mugsy Bogues as MyCareer players would have the same chances of dunking apparently.. How realistic!

Since my Lay-up became the same as my dunk (90 for both) I only lay-up... I haven't had a chance to test yet, but seems that dunk must be higher than lay-up as when my dunk was 90 and lay-up 85 I was posterizing every one, almost to the point of feeling like I was playing the SNES version of NBA Jam... but it was still fun

don't know if this helps anyone, but I'm a 6'1'' Athletic PG, and what does the trick for me is to hold down the sprint button when going to the hoop...
    not sure if this will help C's or PF's, but you might wanna look into it

Quote Originally Posted by torchya21 View Post
    Hold the Rt and pull down on right stick 4 a flashy dunk while on a fastbreak to build your up dunk attempts.
    that will shoot a floater........smh

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_baller View Post
    Since my Lay-up became the same as my dunk (90 for both) I only lay-up... I haven't had a chance to test yet, but seems that dunk must be higher than lay-up as when my dunk was 90 and lay-up 85 I was posterizing every one, almost to the point of feeling like I was playing the SNES version of NBA Jam... but it was still fun

i have 90 dunk, 90 vert, 85 layup, 85 contested and posterizer and i never dunk, all layups unless on a break

i know the answer , it's because you haven't finished creating or editing your player

Quote Originally Posted by iworshipapc View Post

Go to mycareer mode than go to player>edit player>signature>dunks an layups and complete the dunk packages then.save

Ok... in basketball dunking is one thing that EVERYBODY wants to do. So how you cant start off dunking in the showcase or in your team you get drafted to? 2k is gonna have alot of competeion with live if they dont fix that problem.

3 words....watch your stamina