Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCOM not launching on Steam.

XCOM not launching on Steam.

The game won't lauch, not even the first screen. It's a new problem for me, since I played a lot of EU, but recently, now when I got EW it doesn't work.

I searched for a long time and found similar posts, but nothing usefull, just a good way to describe what's happening:

"launching: window pops up for a split second, and then disappears. No error message, no xcom process running in Task Manager, no log file."

Here some post I read
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510...9037811977158/
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510...1670529542221/
    http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...-Through-Steam

What did I found already tried:

Restarting Steam

Restarting my PC

Verify Integrity via Steam

Reinstalling

Lauch the game (as ADM) on:
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame
    and
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XCOMLauncher
    and
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XcomEW

Run: DXSetup from:
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\DirectX

Run: vcredist_x86 from:
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\VCRedist

Download and put faultrep.dll on:
    Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32

Nothing worked so far.

My specs:

OS-Win 7 x64
    Proc-I7 950
    VGA- ATI HD 4890
    RAM - 6GB

I am also having this exact problem, the box saying that the game is preparing to launch pops up and then closes without actually starting the game. I have tried everything listed above and have even updated my video drivers but nothing is working. I would like to point out that the game was working fine two days ago and didn't start doing this until I purchased and installed Enemy Within.

Specs:

OS - Windows 7 32bit
    CPU - AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7700
    RAM - 4GB

May not help, but does the Windows event log showing anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
    May not help, but does the Windows event log showing anything ?
    I'm not seeing anything in the event log.

UPDATE: I renamed the Enemy Within folder in steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown (which worked for this guy) and was able to get the game to start. In doing this I would assume the EW won't be playable just the base game.

Also every single time I validate the files it downloads something thats only 17.5 MB. Like I said though it does this every single time I validate the files.

Sounds like it might be an Anti-virus issue. Some AV packages can be overly strict and cause game data to get a bit wonky, particularly with steam. I would suggest you open your anti-virus program and look for an "exceptions" option. Set it so taht the folder team is installed in is an "exception". Basically your telling it to NOT scan steam data.

Once that's done, verify the game files once more and check the game to see if it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Sounds like it might be an Anti-virus issue. Some AV packages can be overly strict and cause game data to get a bit wonky, particularly with steam. I would suggest you open your anti-virus program and look for an "exceptions" option. Set it so taht the folder team is installed in is an "exception". Basically your telling it to NOT scan steam data.

Once that's done, verify the game files once more and check the game to see if it starts.
    Just gave this a shot, still a no go. I did send an email earlier today to the email posted in this thread (
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510...2917629603540/) so hopefully I'll get a message back tomorrow and they can help.

Otherwise I guess I'm stuck waiting for a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeaz View Post
    The game won't lauch, not even the first screen. It's a new problem for me, since I played a lot of EU, but recently, now when I got EW it doesn't work.
    I have both EU and EW but I had a similar issue. I had been playing fine for a few days but then all the sudden my game stopped launching. I could not even get the screen that lets you select EU or EW.

After rebooting a few times and verifying integrity via Steam didn't work. I remembered I updated my AMD Catalyst Display Drivers to version 13.12. I had to uninstall version 13.12 and re-install the older version, 13.9, to get it working again.

Specs:

OS - Windows 7 x64
    Proc - i7 860
    VGA - AMD HD 6950
    RAM - 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by docbrazen View Post
    I have both EU and EW but I had a similar issue. I had been playing fine for a few days but then all the sudden my game stopped launching. I could not even get the screen that lets you select EU or EW.

After rebooting a few times and verifying integrity via Steam didn't work. I remembered I updated my AMD Catalyst Display Drivers to version 13.12. I had to uninstall version 13.12 and re-install the older version, 13.9, to get it working again.

Specs:

OS - Windows 7 x64
    Proc - i7 860
    VGA - AMD HD 6950
    RAM - 8GB
    Gave this a shot also and still no luck, hopefully it'll work for someone else though. My problem seems to lie in the Enemy Within folder somewhere, because when I rename or delete it I can play Enemy Unknown just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tojphantom View Post
    Gave this a shot also and still no luck, hopefully it'll work for someone else though. My problem seems to lie in the Enemy Within folder somewhere, because when I rename or delete it I can play Enemy Unknown just fine.
    I have the same issue. If I rename the XEW file I can play XCOM EU , but I have tried everything you have tried and nothing works. I get a xcom launcher has stopped working error. Details say

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: xcomlauncher.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 531773ab
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4ef6c7cc
    Problem Signature 07: 1b2b
    Problem Signature 08: c
    Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Try either repairing dotnet, or reinstalling it.
    What version of .net are you running ?

Try either repairing dotnet, or reinstalling it.
    What version of .net are you running ?
    v4.0.30319

Try running the .net repair tool from Microsoft.
    Does the Windows event log show any more details ?

This looks like some system file issue - try running SFC (System File Checker) - > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Nothing work

I tried all solutions in steam forums and 2k, but nothing work for me. "xcom launcher has stopped working".

What now?

Windows 7 64, amd radeon HD 7800 series, intel i7, 16gb ram, 200+ gb hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Naranja View Post
    I tried all solutions in steam forums and 2k, but nothing work for me. "xcom launcher has stopped working".

What now?
    What are the details reported in the windows event log ?

Got the same problem, can play EU if I rename XEW folder in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown. However EW not playable atm. Tried every single 'solution' or suggestion made in steam forums and here but no succes.

Sure someone knows what is causing the problem??

Having this same issue. Initially I was able to play Enemy Within but a friend could not. Tried helping them solve the issue and in so doing my Enemy Within stopped working. Scanned for system errors, reinstalled DX, updated graphics and sound drivers, reinstalled .Net and checked it for errors, also did the VCredist. At some point doing this my Enemy within went from working to not working with the exact same symptoms as everyone else here and my friend. Click Xcom in steam and it says for a second that I am playing it but then nothing else happens and it goes back to default Steam status. Base game runs fine if I rename the Expansion folder to something else.

Windows Event Viewer shows four events for trying to run the game.
    All labeled as Event 1001
    ------------------------------------------
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: PCA2
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: XComEW.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.9040
    P3: XCOM: Enemy Within
    P4: XCOM: Enemy Within
    P5: Firaxis Games
    P6: 200
    P7: -1
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\{5ca29da1-27fa-43d0-ba54-d09d85a1340e}\appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\TabCA70.tmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_XComEW.exe_ba8977489 42aaa7e1a792d1f85bc36dcae0a259_cab_1288d114

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 85b3071f-fafc-11e3-a9b9-74d435916b0a
    Report Status: 4
    -----------------------------------------
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P1: XComEW.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.9040
    P3: XCOM: Enemy Within
    P4: XCOM: Enemy Within
    P5: Firaxis Games
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\{5ca29da1-27fa-43d0-ba54-d09d85a1340e}\appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\TabCA70.tmp

Analysis symbol:
    Report Id: 85b3071f-fafc-11e3-a9b9-74d435916b0a
    Report Status: 0
    -----------------------------------
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P1: XCOMLauncher.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.0
    P3: XCOM Launcher
    P4: XCOM Launcher
    P5: Microsoft
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_XCOMLauncher.exe_2af 719dc75fbec5d24e3489c6e4c49e6daf449_105099fd

Analysis symbol:
    Report Id: 7cfd4939-fafc-11e3-a9b9-74d435916b0a
    Report Status: 4
    -------------------------------
    Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
    P1: XCOMLauncher.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.0
    P3: XCOM Launcher
    P4: XCOM Launcher
    P5: Microsoft
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\{609b7401-1103-43f5-915d-c12e2232f34b}\appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Tab9165.tmp

Analysis symbol:
    Report Id: 7cfd4939-fafc-11e3-a9b9-74d435916b0a
    Report Status: 0
    ----------------------

Going to open this as a 2k Support ticket as well... let's see what happens.

Hi there

I have opened a ticket as well, because I am having the exact same issue as everyone on this thread. Really hoping there'll be a fix or something soon.
    Thanks

Does it run if you perform a clean boot ?

Does it run if you perform a clean boot ?
    Just tested it and no it still won't run, same error as before

So I got a reply in my support ticket...

Unfortunately we don't see any error reports of XCOM: Enemy Within on your msinfo report.
    Basically I was told, sorry - there's no issue. Please keep trying to start the game.
    Yoh. Not much help there 2k.

Maybe that's because a MSinfo report tells them nothing other than your system specs, in other words it gives them no information on what the issue you are having is.

When trying to troubleshoot a problem it's normally best to give details of the error you are getting, such as the Windows event log errors (if any), they would need the event id number, the source, and what is written in the general tab.

It would also be helpful to include the last few lines of the XCOM log files, located in "C:\Users\(user)\Documents\My Games\XCOM - (Enemy Unknown) or (Enemy Within)\Logs"

I did tell them my situation: they asked for the MSINFO and DXDIALOG. This issue doesn't allow for Window error reporting as nothing happens after the "Preparing XCOM: Enemy Unknown to launch..." Steam message.

The next instruction "This program may be showing up differently on the text. Please try loading up XCOM: Enemy Within, send an error report to windows, and then send us another msinfo." is therefore frustrating, because we're going around in circles here and as this thread evidences, there are a few of us with the same problem.

Maybe that's because a MSinfo report tells them nothing other than your system specs, in other words it gives them no information on what the issue you are having is.

When trying to troubleshoot a problem it's normally best to give details of the error you are getting, such as the Windows event log errors (if any), they would need the event id number, the source, and what is written in the general tab.

It would also be helpful to include the last few lines of the XCOM log files, located in "C:\Users\(user)\Documents\My Games\XCOM - (Enemy Unknown) or (Enemy Within)\Logs"

Well at least some more information is forthcoming, you will have to forgive me as i can't read minds.

Even though everyone in this thread says they cant launch the game, every error/problem people have bothered to list are either different or missing important information, but hey this forum is just us fellow Firaxis customers trying to help each other.

It's no skin of my nose if people just say "Got the same problem" and expect people to guess at what that problem is, especially when some people say they get "launching: window pops up for a split second" then others say they get a "xcom launcher has stopped working error" and yet others say "Windows Event Viewer shows Event 1001"

If you are just getting the message saying "Preparing XCOM: Enemy Unknown to launch..." you may want to check out the Steam support page detailing what to try when Games do not run after 'Preparing to Launch', the instructions for repairing the Windows Installer are for XP, so you may want to use the one intended for Windows 7.

Well, I don't know what thread you're in but I'm posting in a thread where the OP has the same issue as me. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them but I doubt they'd work - most of those steps are part of the process of Troubleshooting I have already undertaken - it's a Steam Sticky for crying out loud.

Lots of people have this issue. I'll wait for some support.

Yeah, just tried those. Unfortunately they didn't work. Still clueless now.
    Last edited by Zeokage; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:08 PM. Reason: Merging posts that were in moderation queue...

It does seem odd that it just says preparing to launch when the "XEW" folder is present under the main "XCom-Enemy-Unknown" folder, but renaming the "XEW" folder causes it to run without problems.

If Steam just shows preparing to launch it would normally point towards the game crashing on start up, yet you say there is nothing logged in the Windows event logs, or in the logs folder in "X:\Users\(user)\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Within\xcomgame" or if you search for a file called "Launch.log"

The only other thing i can think of checking is the Steam logs, located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs"
    Sorry that i can't think of much else to try but without some indication on what maybe happening, I'm at a bit of a loss on what else to suggest.

I checked for the launch files, but the only ones present are the different launch files for the different languages. There is no .log file present in the XEW/Xcomgame folder or anywhere else to my knowledge. I also tried to seperate the XEU en XEW folders and make a seperate steam folder but the same problem appears, only XEU works as intended.

For checking the steam logs, what am I looking for in the log files??

Also should there be a separate XCOM:enemy within entry on the game list in steam, or do you get a choice when launching XEU?

The "Launch.log" won't be in the main program folder, it should have created a folder in the "My Documents\My Games" folder.

You will have to forgive me but when you say you tried to separate the XEU en XEW folders, what do you mean ? There is no XEU folder, just a "XCom-Enemy-Unknown" folder, and the expansion in the "XEW" folder.

There is no separate XCOM: Enemy Within entry on the game list in steam, when you run XCOM: Enemy Unknown it should present a small splash screen that lets you choose between the two.

Ty for the directions Corky you are helping alot, found the log file and interestingly it is completly empty for Enemy Whithin:O Also there seems to be no config or localisation file for Enenmy whithin when compared to he Enemy unkown folder in my documents/my games or is this because the game has not been able to launch on my system yet. could this be the cause of the problem? and if it is how should this be fixed??

FWIW-I had the same problem yesterday. I have both XCOM EU and EW installed via steam.

What I did to solve my problem...launched the steam program...went to view my games...clicked on XCOM EU...then right clicked to get to the Steam options...deleted the game...then re-installed game again via Steam.

Yea most of the files in the "My Documents\My games\XCOM - Enemy Within" folder get created as soon as it launches the game.

What happens if you try to run the launcher directly from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32" folder while Steam is running ? There should be two *.exe files in there, one called "XComEW.exe" and another called "XCOMLauncher.exe" running either of those directly should present you with a small window where you can choose either vanilla XCOM or EW.

What happens if you try to run the launcher directly from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32" folder while Steam is running ? There should be two *.exe files in there, one called "XComEW.exe" and another called "XCOMLauncher.exe" running either of those directly should present you with a small window where you can choose either vanilla XCOM or EW.
    If i run these exactly the same thing happens from launching directly via steam: preparing to launch (steam window) followed by launcher has stopped working.

What I did to solve my problem...launched the steam program...went to view my games...clicked on XCOM EU...then right clicked to get to the Steam options...deleted the game...then re-installed game again via Steam.
    Already tried that, no succes. and yes all my UAC settings are fine, steam is allowed through anti-virus etc so that cant be the problem

Quote Originally Posted by deadrebel View Post
    Well, I don't know what thread you're in but I'm posting in a thread where the OP has the same issue as me. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them but I doubt they'd work - most of those steps are part of the process of Troubleshooting I have already undertaken - it's a Steam Sticky for crying out loud.

Lots of people have this issue. I'll wait for some support.
    So that would be the thread that, as i explained, has so far had three totally different problems than the one in the OP, yes ?

If unlike the people reporting that they are being told the launcher has stopped working, you are not getting any stopped working errors or similar, the only thing i can think of is checking the log files for the Steam client.

To make it easier you may want to close Steam, delete the old log files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs" then try launching XCOM. Check through some of the obvious log files like the cloud_log.txt, connection_log.txt, etc.

Like i said before without any errors to go on i don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Accused View Post
    If i run these exactly the same thing happens from launching directly via steam: preparing to launch (steam window) followed by launcher has stopped working.
    Sorry you will have to forgive me but as you can see people are saying they are getting the same problem when it is not. Having Steam saying 'preparing to launch' for a second, then having it close with nothing else happening is a totally different problem than getting an error saying the launcher has stopped working.

If it is reporting the launcher has stopped working it should display a window with a drop down arrow to view the problem details, if it does what are they.

Having Steam saying 'preparing to launch' for a second, then having it close with nothing else happening is a totally different problem than getting an error saying the launcher has stopped working.
    Maybe I was not clear the first time but I get 1. preparing to launch (steam window), and after that 2. the launcher has stopped working error without the drop down arrow there usually is when windows gives an error message, also the error message shows for max. 1 sec before it dissapears.
    To make it easier you may want to close Steam, delete the old log files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs" then try launching XCOM. Check through some of the obvious log files like the cloud_log.txt, connection_log.txt, etc.
    Did as you suggested but nothing there that indicates any errors, also the main problem when trying to go for logs is that I am not able to start XCOM:EW, only EU if i rename the XEW folder in the XCom-Enemy-Unknown directory. So there is no data there to go on anyway. so we are at a stalemate here....(don't blame anyone) seems like a very strange and delicate problem to me tbh.... but acknowledgement from some 2K dev/employee that 'our' problem is at least looked into would be very much appreciated

it's a Steam Sticky for crying out loud.
    When i first posted on this thread I claimed to have tried all solutions posted on that particular Steam Sticky, wich I have....

You mean you get an error window like this ?

Then it vanishes ?

The other comments i made were intended for deadrebel, it's why they were written directly after i quoted him/her.

You mean you get an error window like this ?
    Yes only does mine say: XCOM launcher, XCOM launcher has stopped working but besides from that they are similar ineed.

Then it vanishes?
    Yes it vanishes after about 1/2, 1 sec

When any program crashes like that it should trigger an event in the Windows application event log.

Quote Originally Posted by Accused View Post
    posted on this thread I claimed to have tried all solutions posted on that particular Steam Sticky, wich I have....
    My comment was that there are so many people that have this problem, that it is a Steam sticky - no official patches or anything.

As for me. I give up. Congratulations to 2k Games for getting my money. I don't have time to be frustrated by this game (which was great the first time I played it with EU). I just wanted to try the expansion because I'm a fan but there is some coding issues that affect 5% of us, so who cares right?

Not 2k support. I haven't heard from them in 5 days. I'll just keep an eye on this developer from now on and not buy anything of theirs anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast