Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands PC unlock date -why so late?

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    To all of you who are new to this thread: Yes, I'm part of the decision making process. No, I'm not reading from some sheet of canned answers. Yes, I do this all myself.

I'm sorry for those of you who have been confused about release and unlock dates. The retail versions of Borderlands for most European countries are still slated for 10/30, and that is when Steam is going to unlock. I know that the countdown was wrong late last night/early this morning and that Steam has since corrected that problem. I'm sorry for any of you who saw it and got excited, but the unlock is still for 10/30.
    Thats a bull **** excuse, you've known the release date for ages, stop screwing PC Gamers around to boost your Console sales.

To all of you who are new to this thread: Yes, I'm part of the decision making process. No, I'm not reading from some sheet of canned answers. Yes, I do this all myself.

I'm sorry for those of you who have been confused about release and unlock dates. The retail versions of Borderlands for most European countries are still slated for 10/30, and that is when Steam is going to unlock. I know that the countdown was wrong late last night/early this morning and that Steam has since corrected that problem. I'm sorry for any of you who saw it and got excited, but the unlock is still for 10/30.
    Do you really think its fair to push it back at literally the last minute? That noone from Steam or 2K checked or noticed this, despite it being bought up in PM's directly to you and in general posts here and on the gearbox forums up to 4-5 days ago?

If you are part of the decision making process do you think that pulling this on AU and German customers is really a good business move instead of admitting the mistake and letting them have it early?

come on liz, fine if it was done a day before but we are talking about people who were watching the count down to zero, then it flicks to 3 days. that is poor. did no one at 2K actually go and check to make sure things were right after all the hassles that have already gone on?

EDIT: i PM'd you liz about 3 days ago asking the very question on the steam release.
    Re: activation issues and other questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sashbags
    Hello Liz,
    i would have put this in a forum topic however i still havent recieved my activation email so it wont let me post on the forums.
    My question, and i have poured over the topics in this forum and at gearboxes as well, is that when Borderlands PC version is released on steam for australian users on Tuesday the 27th of October, will the retailers begin selling on the same day or will they still wait until Friday the 30th of October to release hard copies. I know that in this day and age there are alot of people who uses digital download but im one of those old schoolers who loves nothing more than adding another game box to show off on my book case.
    any info would be greatly appreciated and i wanted to thank you for putting in all the extra time and putting in the extra yard to help us fans out.
    regards
    sash

The retail date (if your country is October 30th) is going to be the date that shops will be selling the boxed copy.

If I hear anything different, I'll let you know, but that is the official day everyone should have their boxed copies internationally and begin selling them.
    Last edited by sashbags; 10-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.

I'm curious as to why you've done this - surely you don't think that delaying it for 3 more days for half the world is going to help the image of 2kgames? ... I for one will be keeping my pre-order on steam, .
    Last edited by FtRapture; 10-26-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Sorry piracy comments had to be removed.

I'd also like to add to this for all the new users here:

Talk of piracy is against the rules,and promoting it will only get you banned.Continuous talk and promotion can and will get this thread closed.

I was gifted a copy from a friend in the USA, by the steam FAQ I am entitled to play this game on the USA release date as all gifted copies bare the same attributes as the purchasers region.

But obviously I can't and i'm annoyed now, this is unacceptable. I have filled a ticket with Valve support but I know exactly what its going to say and thats because 2K Games don't want it unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by gieger61 View Post
    Do you really think its fair to push it back at literally the last minute? That noone from Steam or 2K checked or noticed this, despite it being bought up in PM's directly to you and in general posts here and on the gearbox forums up to 4-5 days ago?

If you are part of the decision making process do you think that pulling this on AU and German customers is really a good business move instead of admitting the mistake and letting them have it early?
    The release date was not pushed back. It has always been 10/30 for international territories.

The Steam countdown was incorrect, not the release date.

I do not have control over release dates in all territories. That's a far larger issue as I'm sure you can imagine distribution of a game of this scope would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgeofwings View Post
    I'd also like to add to this for all the new users here:

Talk of piracy is against the rules,and promoting it will only get you banned.Continuous talk and promotion can and will get this thread closed.
    thanks for coming in and laying down the law wings. im fed up of hearing the idiots talk about it. i tried to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
    Why can I not download the last 8% from the Best Buy download manager? Do I have to wait until 6PM EST? Do I have to redownload the download manager, because it's out of date?
    Quoting, would like an answer..

Quote Originally Posted by ausjoker View Post
    I'm curious as to why you've done this - surely you don't think that delaying it for 3 more days for half the world is going to help the image of 2kgames? ... I for one will be keeping my pre-order on steam, .
    Quote Originally Posted by sashbags View Post
    come on liz, fine if it was done a day before but we are talking about people who were watching the count down to zero, then it flicks to 3 days. that is poor. did no one at 2K actually go and check to make sure things were right after all the hassles that have already gone on?

EDIT: i PM'd you liz about 3 days ago asking the very question on the steam release.
    Re: activation issues and other questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sashbags
    Hello Liz,
    i would have put this in a forum topic however i still havent recieved my activation email so it wont let me post on the forums.
    My question, and i have poured over the topics in this forum and at gearboxes as well, is that when Borderlands PC version is released on steam for australian users on Tuesday the 27th of October, will the retailers begin selling on the same day or will they still wait until Friday the 30th of October to release hard copies. I know that in this day and age there are alot of people who uses digital download but im one of those old schoolers who loves nothing more than adding another game box to show off on my book case.
    any info would be greatly appreciated and i wanted to thank you for putting in all the extra time and putting in the extra yard to help us fans out.
    regards
    sash

The retail date (if your country is October 30th) is going to be the date that shops will be selling the boxed copy.

If I hear anything different, I'll let you know, but that is the official day everyone should have their boxed copies internationally and begin selling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gieger61 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NitroNut View Post
    Thats a bull **** excuse, you've known the release date for ages, stop screwing PC Gamers around to boost your Console sales.
    Liz does not work with gearbox and her scope in narrow in this case.Liz is just here to try and help and get answers for your questions.Cursing at her and complaining,isn't going to make things better.As liz has stated before if you wish for a much more appropriate and possibly faster response, please visit the gearbox forums as the community manager there is in direct contact with the devs and can expedite things for you.

Right, I for one am giving up. "Confused"? I just lost all respect for 2k.

You just don't get it.

I for one have calmly emailed some of the better known gaming news websites about this spiel along with some transcripts just in case this thread happens to disappear.

Elizabeth, I strongly suggest that you and your peers go to the Steam powered forums and GBX forums to see the general feelings customers have.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=729 and http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...splay.php?f=72 for easy access.

"Confused" - as if we're idiots.

The release date was not pushed back. It has always been 10/30 for international territories.

I do not have control over release dates in all territories. That's a far larger issue as I'm sure you can imagine distribution of a game of this scope would be.
    thats fine liz.
    but why didnt someone from 2K check to make sure that the dates WERE right, seen as there has been alot of miscommunication.

This isn't a tech support forum for Best Buy. Try calling Best Buy tech support...

Quote Originally Posted by Judgeofwings View Post
    Liz does not work with gearbox and her scope in narrow in this case.Liz is just here to try and help and get answers for your questions.Cursing at her and complaining,isn't going to make things better.As liz has stated before if you wish for a much more appropriate and possibly faster response, please visit the gearbox forums as the community manager there is in direct contact with the devs and can expedite things for you.
    how are devs going to help us with distribution/production questions. isnt 2K the distributor????

while I agree with you about the european countries and australia, why does South/Central America got in the middle of it all? We paid on US dollars for the US version, yet, we don't have the game...

I am sorry but what kind of comunication is this?

The 2k main page (http://www.2kgames.com/) says that the game is available for Xbox, PS and PC. The borderlands website (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/) says that the game is available. Clicking on the Australian flag brings up...
    The requested URL /borderlands/website/oz was not found on this server.

The only comunication that is out there about the release date was steam and that only got "adjusted" a couple of hours ago.

How do you think that your consumers feel when they cant get any clear information?

Quote Originally Posted by madllama View Post
    How do you think that your consumers feel when they cant get any clear information?
    And suddenly tumbleweeds.

Why did the game pre-load via steam a week earlier than if it was not a correct date?

Yes, you have to wait until 6, but I do not know about whether you have to re-download the manager. I'd recommend you contact Best Buy as they will most likely get back to you faster than I will. (I'd pretty much have to go to them too!)

thanks for the response... its just stupid that they couldn't do this earlier.. why wait till one hour before it says its unlocked till they change it... they had plenty of time to change it in the days after the console release... i understand that you don't have anything to do with valve and steam but if im going to complain to someone its gotta be you because your the only one whos actually listening...

well that settles it then.
    after multiple attempts to get a SIMPLE question answered im ignored.
    Looks like 2K has taken the stance of 'oh well it's out in America now who cares about the rest of the world' approach. Shame that this game has got me so excited that im going to get it anyway, i hate the fact that some of that purchase price is going to this company. for gearboxes sake i hope they never use 2K again.

Quote Originally Posted by sashbags View Post
    well that settles it then.
    after multiple attempts to get a SIMPLE question answered im ignored.
    Looks like 2K has taken the stance of 'oh well it's out in America now who cares about the rest of the world' approach. Shame that this game has got me so excited that im going to get it anyway, i hate the fact that some of that purchase price is going to this company. for gearboxes sake i hope they never use 2K again.
    Sorry if I missed something. If you have a specific question and want to make sure I get to you, feel free to PM me!

This is beyond stupid.
    Pushing the release to 30th ON STEAM is beyond stupid. Don't feed us that crap about miscommunication - YOU SCREWED IT UP - there's no reason to push the release to 30th. No reason at all.

The game is already on "torrent".. I paid for it on the day it opened for pre-orders @ Steam. I was a loyal customer and i awaited for it. And what do i get ? You freaking change the release date on the LAST MINUTE, for NO REASON AT ALL.

When i bought the game NO ONE TOLD ME the release was 30th. No one.
    And now, you try to feed us that crap.

I never saw this kind of behavior from a Publisher.
    I never saw loyal customers beeing treated so bad.

There's NOTHING you can do to improve this situation.
    You just screwed your customers for no reason at all. And the worst part of everything is that you're not going to fix anything. And there's nothing i can do about it. Yes, i can cancel my pre-order. But for what ? I want to play the game.

I want it so bad that i accept beeing treated like crap.

2K, this was the WORST release i ever saw. You pushed a release on the LAST MINUTE for NO REASON AT ALL and you blame miscommunication ? I blame you.

You should give a call to Steam and tell them: RELEASE IT.
    If American Steam players are already playing the game, there's no reason why it shouldn't be released everywhere. You're just telling us: go ahead and pirate it, it's faster.

It's beyond stupid.
    I feel sad because i planned all weekend to play with my friends from NA and SA, but we won't be able to. And nobody warned us. We watched the countdown.. and then, you talk about miscommnunication ?

There's a way around it guys, VPN but apparently you may have to buy a months worth to keep using it, so I dunno if you need a day worth or week or a month.

At least until 2kGames releases early or 30th comes along.

VPN doesn't work, people on the steam forums tried it.

Like me, theyre locked out of their purchase, shafted...

VPN does work... http://hotspotvpn.com/. Pay $3 for a day sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinez0r View Post
    This is beyond stupid.
    Pushing the release to 30th ON STEAM is beyond stupid. Don't feed us that crap about miscommunication - YOU SCREWED IT UP - there's no reason to push the release to 30th. No reason at all.

The game is already on "torrent".. I paid for it on the day it opened for pre-orders @ Steam. I was a loyal customer and i awaited for it. And what do i get ? You freaking change the release date on the LAST MINUTE, for NO REASON AT ALL.

When i bought the game NO ONE TOLD ME the release was 30th. No one.
    And now, you try to feed us that crap.

I never saw this kind of behavior from a Publisher.
    I never saw loyal customers beeing treated so bad.

There's NOTHING you can do to improve this situation.
    You just screwed your customers for no reason at all. And the worst part of everything is that you're not going to fix anything. And there's nothing i can do about it. Yes, i can cancel my pre-order. But for what ? I want to play the game.

I want it so bad that i accept beeing treated like crap.

2K, this was the WORST release i ever saw. You pushed a release on the LAST MINUTE for NO REASON AT ALL and you blame miscommunication ? I blame you.

You should give a call to Steam and tell them: RELEASE IT.
    If American Steam players are already playing the game, there's no reason why it shouldn't be released everywhere. You're just telling us: go ahead and pirate it, it's faster.

It's beyond stupid.
    I feel sad because i planned all weekend to play with my friends from NA and SA, but we won't be able to. And nobody warned us. We watched the countdown.. and then, you talk about miscommnunication ?
    This , basically. We all know mistakes can happen in large releases and international stuff, its how you handle the mistakes that your customers (or potential customers) remember.

I'm sure everyone in Europe that used Steam will be remembering this and how 2K have completely failed to handle it with any kind of customer support or public relations.

I can forgive mistakes, I cant forgive you alienating all of your PC player base just to stick to a policy that was not a very good idea to begin with, is the massive loss of goodwill and future sales worth the 3 day wait?

I know you have said you do not have the pull to change this yourself, but surely you can see why everyone is so annoyed at the terrible way this has been handled and pass it along. Would you accept this kind of treatment if you were a customer? Would you use the companies products in the future? I know I wont.

Hello, Elizabeth.

I feel I have to step in at this point even though I didn't feel like doing so previously. To summarize my situation, I purchased a 4 pack on Steam for my colleagues and myself (gieger61 being one of them).

At this point, I simply fail to conceive how the situation could go that far and am questioning 2K Games' good judgment in this matter. Being a decision maker in this process, I am fairly sure you will be able to understand my point of view and take it under wise consideration.

I would say that what really hurt you over all is that there has been no damage control, no good will, no faith and no gesture toward your customers up to this moment.

You have been stating several times how you were able to influence the outcome of the situation by being in a position of decider in the 2K Games company, yet, all we see from you so far is the same statement that "things are going as planned".

Had things gone as planned, I'm sorry to say, you would clearly not have this release fiasco on your hand. However you have been consistently unable to take a "live" decision, change your plans for the best, adapt to the crisis, simply understand your customers and go their way.

This industry is, as you know, merciless. We are under the constant predation of piracy, of customer unhappiness, of distribution issues, miscommunication of all sorts, and everything else I couldn't list here for reading pleasure reasons.

Today, companies, or should I say corporations, like yours need to step up and serve your customers the right way, you need to go ahead and provide them with what they seek from you within reasons. As far as I know and from what I have seen during this whole, forgive me for this accurate word, "debacle" is for you to clear all the doubts about the release date and let people play when they would have a legit copy, regardless of anything else.

They expected you to understand the grief they felt, they expected you to soak up the potential extra costs this would consequently make you endure (resellers/retail shops being upset, digital distribution platform having to go the extra mile, etc). They expected you to let them know that today, paying for a game is good because the company they give their money to is here to monitor what's happening around their games and make this an overall enjoyable experience. Because, I'll be frank, patching a bug is only one of the ways to make an experience enjoyable, there are many others.

As a conclusion, let me tell you that you have simply not managed to raise the standards of our industry with the release of Borderlands, even though the game is (most likely) fabulous, even though you may or may not have a previously good reputation, even though Gearbox has been working very hard to provide us with a good product. You have not managed to serve your customers, to serve the industry and to serve the development studio, as a publisher.

I will finish this message with a simple question: Is this how you wish to be remembered?

Thank you for your time and attention, Elizabeth, please forgive my familiar tone toward you, I have nothing but respect toward your staff, but a reality check was, I feel, in order today.

-Dekyriel

Quote Originally Posted by BeaconClose View Post
    VPN doesn't work, people on the steam forums tried it.

Like me, theyre locked out of their purchase, shafted...
    Yes it does, make sure you leave it running and choose a US Server.

Yes I know we are being shafted, we bought a product in full, we expect to use it in full.

Total 2kgames FAIL.
    Last edited by NitroNut; 10-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Guys, if you really want a quick response from Elizabeth, like her said, PM her. I asked a quite a few questions which got answered in little to no time, and I'm very satisfied with her support, tho not satisfied with all that stuff happening (me being one of those waiting for the countdown finish and having it change from 45min to 3.5 days)

Don't be harsh, take it easy. Everyone knows was a terrible thing done by the publisher and hopefully will be a lesson taken to the next releases, so meanwhile, all you can do is wait, really, no reason to rage on the forums.

Thanks

Since my last post may have been missed on page 86, here are the questions the community wants to know the answers to, in detail:

1. Why was the error in release date allowed on Steam for so long, up until 20 minutes before it was scheduled for release?

2. Why was the 10/30 date not posted anywhere besides in this thread to let people know about it? If there were other sources, why are people complaining they cannot be found?

3. Why has the digital distribution date been staggered three days to meet the retail when we are buying directly from an overseas online distributor and have all the resources to be playing right now?

4. Why is no show of good will or admittance of these mistakes being communicated from yourself, the CM of 2kGames? I do appreciate you saying you're sorry for the way we feel about the situation, but that still does not tell us whos fault it is, or if 2kGames is at fault or is at all apologizing for the unfortunate turn of events?

5. Is the reason the international digital release has been staggered because of retail customers?

6. Can you confirm or deny that certain retail stores received PC copies of borderlands as early as 10/20?

Answer these questions, in a non-roundabout way, and I assure you the community suddenly get alot happier.

I've also PM'ed this to Elizabeth to ensure she doesn't miss my post this time.

Yes, you have to wait until 6, but I do not know about whether you have to re-download the manager. I'd recommend you contact Best Buy as they will most likely get back to you faster than I will. (I'd pretty much have to go to them too!)
    Thanks Liz, I commend you for keeping a level head with all this controversy flying around.

You forgot one Btnz

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I was gifted a copy from a friend in the USA, by the steam FAQ I am entitled to play this game on the USA release date as all gifted copies bare the same attributes as the purchasers region.

But obviously I can't and i'm annoyed now, this is unacceptable. I have filled a ticket with Valve support but I know exactly what its going to say and thats because 2K Games don't want it unlocked.
    In summary why can't be people who where gifted copies play now, when every other title so far has unlocked on the USA date.

Heck I even sent an email over the weekend to request an early release.... but howhever, according to Steam they have no choice in the matter.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The release date for this game can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/ Release dates cannot be changed by request. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Heck I even sent an email over the weekend to request an early release.... but howhever, according to Steam they have no choice in the matter.
    Steam FAQ says if you are gifted a game the game keeps all the stuff from the purchasers locale, for example: if its censored, release date etc.

All other games this was true, except obviously this one, want to guess why? just look at the banner above.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman_666 View Post
    Don't be harsh, take it easy. Everyone knows was a terrible thing done by the publisher and hopefully will be a lesson taken to the next releases, so meanwhile, all you can do is wait, really, no reason to rage on the forums.
    Unfortunatly, it's too late, this is highly expected game to release.

2kGames has no reason to delay the game (twice i might add), noone is at fault but 2kGames.

Sure, some people can try and blame the retailers, but really the fault at here is 2kGames.

Heck, I've seen a few people already quoting "2kGames is just as bad as EA".

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman_666 View Post
    Lets not forget this has all happened before in similar format before with bioshock. Nothing was learnt.

Heck, I've seen a few people already quoting "2kGames is just as bad as EA".
    2K make EA look like god, tbh EA is probably one of the most competent publishers about these days, shocking isn't it.
    Last edited by BeaconClose; 10-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaconClose View Post
    Lets not forget this has all happened before in similar format before with bioshock. Nothing was learnt.

2K make EA look like god, tbh EA is probably one of the most competent publishers about these days, shocking isn't it.

I wouldn't go as far as that, but yes they have *sort of improved*, especially with LAN ability in NFS Shift.

But however, the best publisher to date, I think are Stardock.

1. Why was the error in release date allowed on Steam for so long, up until 20 minutes before it was scheduled for release?

I am not sure exactly why this is. I am under the impression the 10/30 release date was communicated elsewhere and the countdown was incorrect, and I find that very unfortunate.

2. Why was the 10/30 date not posted anywhere besides in this thread to let people know about it? If there were other sources, why are people complaining they cannot be found?

I do believe it was, but I completely understand people's feedback and this is something in the future I'll work on communicating more clearly. I'll recommend that the Gearbox Community Manager post all release dates on the official Borderlands community site - that definitely would have helped, as well as having it here.

3. Why has the digital distribution date been staggered three days to meet the retail when we are buying directly from an overseas online distributor and have all the resources to be playing right now?

This was based on distribution and the issues that arise with a global launch, as I explained last week.

4. Why is no show of good will or admittance of these mistakes being communicated from yourself, the CM of 2kGames? I do appreciate you saying you're sorry for the way we feel about the situation, but that still does not tell us whos fault it is, or if 2kGames is at fault or is at all apologizing for the unfortunate turn of events?

I think that I've been pretty forthcoming and honest with you guys, and as I'm speaking on behalf of the company, that you can count them into my words as well!

5. Is the reason the international digital release has been staggered because of retail customers?

Retail customers are important, and 10/30 is also the date when we know all shipments will be in stores, but I don't have the exact details and explanation for each method of distribution. There are quite a few territories out there. I hope that's a good enough answer, because I don't think I can give you a simple answer on that one.

6. Can you confirm or deny that certain retail stores received PC copies of borderlands as early as 10/20?

I know of copies being sold on 10/22 (last Thursday.)

It's 6:05 EST and I still can't download my Best Buy digital copy of Borderlands...I just get a "Page cannot be found" instead of "Would you like to run this file?" window....
    Last edited by Bonz0; 10-26-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast