Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 640 of 1033

Thread: Widescreen messed up ...

  1. #601
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    Actually I am as calm as midsummer night skies. However, I feel that raging over idiocy like a category five cleans up trash faster.
    And look, we've made progress. As soon as sirmonster grows a pair and just admits he doesn't like the final product of the game and, apparently, like every other person who isn't enjoying the game in this thread, wants to see something changed.

    Now that that's said and done with, I'm going to go actually enjoy the game while people bleed about it in this thread.
    admit i dont like the final product of the game, well i cant really play it yet. so i cant comment on the content. but so far the presentation is seriously lacking. as soon as you grow up and stop acting like this game is your ☺☺☺☺ing messiah, you might get it through your dense ☺☺☺☺ing skull that this thread is for people who WANT TO ENJOY THE GAME BUT CANT IN ITS CURRENT STATE. Then you might choose to support us as it will only increase the games popularity and sales.

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    Than why are you even here for Bioshock, its been like this for almost a year now.
    Congrats on proving how mindless you are yet again.
    because a year ago the game wasnt for sale ...now it is....do you comprehend that?

  3. Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    like I said an intentional mistake...laziness.
    Only a mistake in the sense -you- do not like it. I have no problem with it, I didn't grow a vagina and start bleeding about it. Again, the only reason you know otherwise is that someone compared and contrasted different resolutions, nothing more. The same things happen with theaters. At worst, its a "mistake" by BioShock devs, in the sense it caused me to have to read so much needless ☺☺☺☺☺ing about a fantastic game that having in such a view does not cause any negativity whatsover. Again, the reason you ☺☺☺☺☺ now versus 8 months ago is your IGNORANCE was shattered. That's what you're trying to deal with, and you and sirmonster have done one HELL of a bang up job.

  4. #604
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    because a year ago the game wasnt for sale ...now it is....do you comprehend that?
    dood, youre totally forgetting that he has been devoting a portion of his life to this game every day since the first concept stills were announced!!!111! that means he is better than you.

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonLow View Post
    If it was truly intentional they would've letterboxed 4:3 displays like Resident Evil 4.
    This is just a case of developers being lazy. We bought widescreen displays to see more, not less.
    Come back when you learn something about coding DirectX. Because it was NOT laziness.

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    Unfortunately, people like the rest of you have taken it upon themselves to redefine the term "widescreen" to include constraints that it doesn't.
    Explain "constraints"

    You, the one who implied that widescreen was a "marketing ploy".

    The reason did involve money, yes. When the cathode ray tube was first made available to the general public, it was too difficult to produce in a cost effective manner in any shape but round, hence in the early years TV screens were literally circular. Notice that as time went on they gradually developed square edges, and eventually took on an almost square shape. This progressed to a chubby rectangle, and at that point the cost/product ratio was pretty much tapped. Not until recently could the chinese tube manufacturers cost effectively produce a widescreen ratio CRT tube, and by the time they finally were able to, flat panels had taken the market by storm, hence the reason for the short lived, low production CRT HDTV.

    16:9 is the closest *economical* alternative to human vision, and it the reason why that format has gradually been gaining ground against 4:3. I remember wishing for widescreen format in the mid-nineties, and now here we are more than TEN YEARS later, and still it is an uphill battle, sadly even with those who call themselves "tech savvy".

    THAT is why I am so upset. So please, as I asked before, define these "constraints" I have placed on widescreen.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    because a year ago the game wasnt for sale ...now it is....do you comprehend that?
    No, I Comprehend you acting as if the game was released with a fatal flaw or a "mistake", acting as if this had not been the resolution the game was CHOSEN to be displayed at SINCE its creation. There was NOTHING different to expect. The ONLY reason you douche all over this thread with your senseless bickering is because of WHAT YOU SAW ON THE INTERNETS, not of your own personal discovery and of playing the game.

    Dear god.

  8. #608
    The game is fun guys why not go play it instead of posting here. Try it you'll like it.

  9. #609
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    blah blah blah im a ☺☺☺☺ blah blah.i know how you think, blah blah i dont have a widescreen so this effects me not. blah blah insult blah blah insult blah blah nothing intelligent blah blah egotistical comment blah blah.
    go play the game.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4

    Thumbs down

    Let me quote from the FAQ thread:

    Can one of the dev team on the PC version please explain the image adjustment from the standard 4:3 screen resolution to a widescreen resolution? Will it be the most desirable horizantal plus or the less attractive vertical minus? It surely wouldn't be a stretched image if it has native support.

    What I mean by this is will the picture displayed on a widescreen monitor at a resolution of say, 1680x1050, show all of the image that would appear on a 4:3 monitor plus additional field of view on the sides? Or will the widescreen picture simply have the top and bottom cut off and show less image than what would appear on a 4:3 monitor?

    "You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved."

    "The game will render in full 16:9 aspect ratio, with no letterboxing unless your resolution is not true 16:9."

    "Folks, don't fret, there's no letterboxing in 4:3, nor in 16:9. The game will use the most bad-ass resolution available to your video card and monitor."

    - Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock
    So then exactly what the Lead Programmer of Bioshock said they would not do, they went ahead and did. We really need a response from someone at 2K saying one way or the other what the deal is and what will be done.

    I specifically purchased a widescreen monitor so that I could see more of my games not less.

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    177
    Constraints being that widescreen logically has to show more than fullscreen. You argue that what's currently missing from widescreen is important and that what you would gain is not important. But there's no evidence to point to that over thinking that what you're currently missing is important.

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17
    For the people who still don't get how the widescreen looks zoomed-in in comparison to 4:3, part of the problem is that it's not really obivous when you see the widescreen screenshot scaled down and placed within the 4:3 screenshot as we've been seeing. Here's a 4:3 and 16:9 screenshot at the same height side by side, hopefully this should making the "zooming" effect much more apparent:

    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6957/bioshockjq8.jpg

  13. Quote Originally Posted by sirmonster View Post
    go play the game.
    Great concede to defeat, you go play first though.

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    swordsman.....

    how can you NOT see an issue with cropping off the top and bottom of the screen?....are you high or something.

    widescreen should be widescreen not short screen.....can you understand that? Why are you so mad that others want to be able to enjoy this game on tv sets that cost them thousands?

    The idea that no one would be complaining if this never came out is void because it DID come out that the widescreen is a jip....so now 2k need to fix the problem.



    No,this is just another one of dans accounts....

    Trolls and 2K/IG ☺☺☺☺☺s.Ken is god,and so is Chris and DONT anyone of you DARE to point out when they danced around the truth,or were a alil wishy washy,or are now sand bagging/in damage control mode.If it doesnt affect you or you dfont care bugger off and stop trolling the forum and this thread.

    Elizabeth said SOON,not later,or in 24 hours,or "whenever I feel like it",but based on the way they are mishandling this farce,and have left a oh so HUGE information vacuum,no wonder the '☺☺☺☺ has hit the fan'. This is fast turning into a pr nightmare,and its thier own damn fault.

    Not mine,or Paddywak,or any of the hundreds of others who have lodged a complaint in this thread.

    Go start your own thread "The WE hate whining widescreen owners thread"

    Call it whatever you want,but please stop this garbage.

    You wont find me in it bothering you or splitting hairs on what is or isnt widescreen.

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    177
    It's not a nightmare at other sites that are covering it. It's just a minor issue that's not preventing people from buying it at other sites.

    Stop overestimating yourselves.

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    Only a mistake in the sense -you- do not like it. I have no problem with it, I didn't grow a vagina and start bleeding about it. Again, the only reason you know otherwise is that someone compared and contrasted different resolutions, nothing more. The same things happen with theaters. At worst, its a "mistake" by BioShock devs, in the sense it caused me to have to read so much needless ☺☺☺☺☺ing about a fantastic game that having in such a view does not cause any negativity whatsover. Again, the reason you ☺☺☺☺☺ now versus 8 months ago is your IGNORANCE was shattered. That's what you're trying to deal with, and you and sirmonster have done one HELL of a bang up job.
    why would I ☺☺☺☺☺ 8 months ago?..I couldnt play the demo then...I guess I feel that a person with a widescreen tv should see more not less. I think that in producing this game 2k made the widescreen in a lazy manner.

    sorry you take this to heart I am not saying the game that you produced is a bad game. i am simply saying that you were apparntly lazy when you made it. Perhaps you spent too much time on forums and not enough time working on that widescreen halfassery you made.

  17. #617
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    This entire discussion is just hilarious. Thank you all for the soap opera.

  18. #618
    Quote Originally Posted by Jechtshot78 View Post
    Come back when you learn something about coding DirectX. Because it was NOT laziness.
    Err yeah, of course it was. I happened to be a 3d graphics developer and worked for a graphics card company in the past, coding drivers. There's nothing in DirectX or OpenGL API that explains this laziness.

  19. #619
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    No, I Comprehend you acting as if the game was released with a fatal flaw or a "mistake", acting as if this had not been the resolution the game was CHOSEN to be displayed at SINCE its creation. There was NOTHING different to expect. The ONLY reason you douche all over this thread with your senseless bickering is because of WHAT YOU SAW ON THE INTERNETS, not of your own personal discovery and of playing the game.

    Dear god.
    wrong. first off, it is fatal for me as my money has been spent on something i can not enjoy, as others like me who get sick while playing it. sorry for that, its honestly the first game ive experianced this with. again nothing to do with resolution everything to do with field of vision (can you read, really, we keep pounding this into you like jenna jameson but you just refuse to get it) since the FOV was stated to be increased for widescreen, that no letterboxing, stretching,cropping or zooming would occur was something that factored into my decision to buy the game. after i bought the game and discovered for myself that what i had read was true i posted here to express my frustration and wait for a reply. the fact that no reply has come is an issue on its own. the ONLY reason you are posting on this thread is that you are a fanboi and can not stand to have anyone say anything negative about your precious precious game.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Glottis View Post
    Yet another resounding post of self conceited idiocy.
    Great job. Keep it up. I pointed out the contradictions and grand fallacies in calling this a "Bug", "PROBLEM", or "LAZINESS" within the game. countless others have. Its not a ☺☺☺☺ sucking fest for 2k or whatever ☺☺☺☺☺☺ry you try to dismiss as having your ass handed to your for general self-centered "My problems with this game are the only one that matters" ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ you keep trying to shove down anyone else's throats who don't have a glaring problem with the INTENDED resolution of the game, and not some bloated internet resolution image that did not effect a single player until tonight.

    Great job on making such a fine pile of ☺☺☺☺ on the floor, you're dripping all over the place.

  21. A note from Ken on the widescreen concerns

    Hey guys-

    Sorry about all the conflict. IG development people (specifically Chris and Rowan who are both on vacation) were trying to take a day off today (we've been working about six months 6-7 days a week). I'm trying to see what everybody's concerns are and consult with the staff.

    I know people are frustrated, but we are dealing with internet time here. It wasn't until 7 pm EST that I was able to even talk to anybody in our Australian studio, which is open today (9 AM their time).

    I hear you that not everybody was thrilled with the PC launch. And I'm trying to collect information and see what the facts are. PC game development does not function in a matter of seconds or hours, especially when most of the team is on vacation. But I hear you, and we're looking into the issue. I'll only ask you have a bit of understanding as to the time scale that software development issues must occur in.

    Best regards,

    Ken Levine

  22. #622
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    Great job. Keep it up. I pointed out the contradictions and grand fallacies in calling this a "Bug", "PROBLEM", or "LAZINESS" within the game. countless others have. Its not a ☺☺☺☺ sucking fest for 2k or whatever ☺☺☺☺☺☺ry you try to dismiss as having your ass handed to your for general self-centered "My problems with this game are the only one that matters" ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ you keep trying to shove down anyone else's throats who don't have a glaring problem with the INTENDED resolution of the game, and not some bloated internet resolution image that did not effect a single player until tonight.

    Great job on making such a fine pile of ☺☺☺☺ on the floor, you're dripping all over the place.
    And actually buddy I had downloaded the game on my desktop and played for an hour or so, and really enjoyed the game. I put it on my laptop earlier today, and to my dismay, have had the problem expressed by quite a few people...which is why (when I finally got time) decided to check out to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

    But most of all I want to thank you, sir, for the wonderful drama.

  23. #623
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Oh and I guess I should specify.. I have a 4:3 CRT on my desktop but my laptop is widescreen.

  24. #624
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    It's not a nightmare at other sites that are covering it. It's just a minor issue that's not preventing people from buying it at other sites.

    Stop overestimating yourselves.

    How much stock do you own ? Or are you a dev ? Is this the way its been decided to handle the situation ??? By being chirlish pompous fools,with a
    extensive attitude problem ?????? Why do you have so much invested in defending this game or the decisions made by those behind the scenes ?

    Something stinks in New England.So then you have personally interviewd everyone at all these sites ? and know what they really think ? Tell me then Yuri Geller,and why dont you bend some spoons for us while we wait for the marketing apologists to arrive.

    You just want to argue for the sake of arguing it seems,you could care less
    about any of it,you are JUST a ☺☺☺☺ disturber.A troll.You have admitted it on many occasions.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Kelvari View Post
    Oh and I guess I should specify.. I have a 4:3 CRT on my desktop but my laptop is widescreen.
    And there you go, its something -un noticeable- unless -you- change aspect ratios. So simply put, you noticed a different in ratios.

    Wow, what happens when you change aspect ratios?
    exactly. You just found one fuller than the other. Wow, Bioshock must be the first game to cause this phenomenon.

  26. #626
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    You mean the non existant problem which claims that this issue wasn't present until the game's release? .

    so you admit it.....it is an issue and it should be (and apparently is being) resolved.

  27. #627
    I refuse to read the flamewar.

    The widescreen POV in this game is broken. Period, no question. Please fix it.

    If there's any confusion on the devs part on how to implement it, please feel free to talk to Valve. Their DX games implement it correctly.

    Thanks.

  28. #628
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    Cease your ☺☺☺☺☺☺ry spelling this instant!

    I don't care what the hell you say about the damn game. Hate it, stick it up your ass and turn it sideways, I really couldn't give a ☺☺☺☺. Just stop bleeding all over the place about how you have enough worth or value to complain about the game and act as if this is some inhuman flaw that prevents the game from being enjoyed by anyone but yourself.
    ill stop spelling it when you stop being it, fanboi. if you dont care why do you insist on arguing with me, and everyone else that agrees with me. bleeding all over the place? you mean this thread, the thread about widescreen being messed up (it may be widescreen, but not by the standards they set in posts made in this forum by the lead dev) i dont act as if its an inhuman flaw.. wait... what the ☺☺☺☺ does inhuman have to do with this game? it does prevent me from enjoying the game, and if you look back and ignore your posts, and dan's posts most every other post is from someone else who cannot enjoy the game. im glad you can enjoy it, i wish i could. really i want to play the game, when i bought my pc in june this is one of the games i bought it for. youre in the minority in this thread. get off your high horse. stop acting like this thread creates some sort of inhuman(?) flaw in the game that prevents anyone but us from enjoying it.

  29. #629
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    177
    Mob mentality... gotta love it. "Lots of people agree with me, so we're obviously right!"

  30. Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    so you admit it.....it is an issue and it should be (and apparently is being) resolved.
    I never "admitted" any damn thing. I said from the beginning it was such (an "ISSUE") but not a damn one of you ever bothered to read it. The only things I ever stated were
    1)Its not a massive deal for every ☺☺☺☺ing person playing the game and is generally irrelevant to a majority of the people and the proportion of their enjoyment.
    2)That was the intended release.
    3)Its not a bug that somehow "Slipped" into the game.

    However, every person who is bleeding from their lack of bioshock "enjoyment" over such a dumbfounded reason, well...that's just too bad.

  31. #631
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    544

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by irrationallevine View Post
    Hey guys-

    Sorry about all the conflict. IG development people (specifically Chris and Rowan who are both on vacation) were trying to take a day off today (we've been working about six months 6-7 days a week). I'm trying to see what everybody's concerns are and consult with the staff.

    I know people are frustrated, but we are dealing with internet time here. It wasn't until 7 pm EST that I was able to even talk to anybody in our Australian studio, which is open today (9 AM their time).

    I hear you that not everybody was thrilled with the PC launch. And I'm trying to collect information and see what the facts are. PC game development does not function in a matter of seconds or hours, especially when most of the team is on vacation. But I hear you, and we're looking into the issue. I'll only ask you have a bit of understanding as to the time scale that software development issues must occur in.

    Best regards,

    Ken Levine


    Finally the offical response.The waiting game starts anew.... but at least we know its going to be dealt with,hopefully to everyone satisfaction.

  32. #632
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    Ken Levine,

    I see you mentioned the PC aspect ratio problem...just a reminder the Xbox 360 version also suffers from this issue.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    Ken Levine,

    I see you mentioned the PC aspect ratio problem...just a reminder the Xbox 360 version also suffers from this issue.
    And again with the "issue". It doesn't "Suffer", both versions are released this way and that was the intended target. The only thing Ken gets is people are having problems with the "aspect ratios", he'll probably make a post later detailing why it was intended this way and what can be done to "change it for the "Better"".

    Jesus, its only an "issue" of preference, NOT technical.

  34. #634
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    Ken Levine,

    I see you mentioned the PC aspect ratio problem...just a reminder the Xbox 360 version also suffers from this issue.

    Good point ! The good people @ WSGF have shown that to be the case.

  35. #635
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    sword:

    the widescreen problem may not be a massive deal but it is a big enough deal to get mentioned on Kotaku and Attack of the Show.

    so there!

  36. #636
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk Swordsman View Post
    You mean the non existant problem which claims that this issue wasn't present until the game's release? You've either got multitudes of all knowing aspect ratios in that big brain of yours, or, Great Scott, my BS senses are tingling!


    I want to thank you for licking that urine off my toilet! Fine job.
    No.. I just realized that something "felt" different about the picture on my laptop than on my desktop. And then I bet that you're going to talk trash about my use of "felt." Awesome.

    But honestly, you can tell (very easily, mind you) when you play the game first on a normal aspect CRT then switch to widescreen. But you're probably going to go ahead and tell me I'm full of crap, then type some obscenities, and then click that "Submit Reply" button, which is fine. Anyway, I'm done responding.

  37. #637
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3

    a fix, or at LEAST a response please.

    i registered to voice my discontent. while i'm not too saavy about this kind of stuff (i only got a widescreen hdtv a half year ago), a response from 2k would be great.

    honestly, i didn't notice the issue and probably would not have affected me had i not read about it. i was originally planning on looking for the game up tomorrow, the demo floored me and there have only been beaming positive reviews. however, the idea that i would get a better POV in 4:3 disturbs me. i am not putting up with bars on the side of the screen(annoying and ruins an otherwise beautiful image), nor am i going to put up with stretching a 4:3 image(an eyesore). i had to put up with that when i rented zelda: twilight princess for the gamecube since i would not have extra cash for a wii at the time.

    i am holding off until there is an official statement regarding the issue. it might not deter me from buying the game, but it will be more likely later than sooner. worst case scenario never (best case for me, as my limited money would go elsewhere...probably save for a new pc or winter classes, sucks to be a poor college student). i just want the best experience possible, and lately have been feeling spoiled by my widescreen hdtv that took a while to get. yes, i admit i'm spoiled. i love my widescreen hdtv. after twilight princess, i never hooked up my gamecube or ps2 to it again. i may be willing to forget that i found out about it if there is an official response due to the game is still amazing, but the fact that it has been practically promised that widescreen viewers will have a wider POV and has not been followed through does not sit well with me. it would need to have an excusable reason for going back on their word.

    for the TLDR, it boils down to the fact that an official response and reason is required.

    (will be getting the xbox360 version, since my pc is far from being top-of-the-line, while my tv and audio setup is far better)

  38. Quote Originally Posted by gaiking View Post
    sword:

    the widescreen problem may not be a massive deal but it is a big enough deal to get mentioned on Kotaku and Attack of the Show.

    so there!
    Kotaku=Blog, and a generally crappy one at that.
    Attack of the Show = lol g4

    Yes, its an "issue" because G4 READS things like Kotaku to get material, they don't have conventional reporter means and since BioShock was RELEASED today, of course any dirt on it found within the bowels of the internet will be dug up, just like when people threw cows and planes over Twilight Princess being "mirrored" and Link switching handiness, nothing of significance died with the game and sales did not plummet as millions demanded a non mirrored/left handed link.

  39. #639
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    be careful zero...swordsman may completely lose his ☺☺☺☺.

  40. #640
    I have been checking these posts, at work, at home ad nauseam for the past 12 hours wondering what was happening so it's with great relief that the issue has been addressed by Ken Levine and I can now find eternal rest.

    I'm about to copy and post Ken's reaction into a new thread so that everybody that comes in here knows its been responded to.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •