Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 1033

Thread: Widescreen messed up ...

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7
    In this day and age, that's a HUGE mistake. Widescreen monitors and widescreen HDTV's are fairly inexpensive and widely available (pun intended ).

    Hopefully this is fixed upon activation or with the full retail version.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    18
    it drives me nuts in the 360 version that it reads "Atla" instead of "Atlas".

  3. #43
    I have also registered to express my disappointment with the widescreen hack used by the developers. Proper widescreen support is not optional in this day and age, lack of said support is incredibly disappointing when many games were properly supporting widescreen 8 years ago!

    I won't be purchasing until the issue is resolved properly.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    I just started playing games using 1600x900 resolution even though my LCD is 4:3 specifically BECAUSE I like a more natural FOV in my 3D gaming. It is somewhat disappointing to see that what we've got here is the 90 degree rotation equivalent of what pan and scan is.

    As others have said, this was likely done to insure that the performance of 4:3 was the same as 16:9 for the console version. Unfortunately, this isn't even a good excuse. I can think of at least one other game for a console that supports widescreen that gives widescreen viewers additional information on the sides... and the development process specifically designed with that worst case scenario in mind. They also achieved a solid 60FPS throughout the entire game.

    What I'm looking at here in the first post is just cheating, really.

    Start with your worst case scenario (widescreen resolution), and base your performance testing on that. Then if the end user isn't using widescreen, they have buffer room on the performance side.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17

    This is lame!

    Not properly supporting widescreen monitors in a new game is ridiculously lame.

    I've been excited about this game for quite a while and since I've already purchased it I'll be playing it rather than seeking to get my money back. However, I will remember this on future purchases. Pre-purchases are rare for me, and henceforth I'll be waiting on all 2K games so that I can check the forums for problems like this.

    Widescreen gaming is a large part of modern gaming. Get with the times and support it properly like you should! To do otherwise shows nothing but contempt for a large segment of your customer base.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    6600 core2
    8800GTX
    2GB XM2 Ram
    Gigabyte MoBo
    Vista Premium 32-bit

    I have a problem when loading the demo (and everything on my computer of course is up to date), it appears that the wide screen is not expanding to take up my whole 22'' widescreen.

    Here is the odd part, when loading the game up...it will load in full screen (but their is bars on the top and bottom, similar to a movie), when I go to the options menu and change the resolution to my monitors native resolution which is 1650x1080 it actually shrinks the screen into a 4:3 ratio. I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on. I even tried for the hell of it running the game in administration mode, reinstall nvidia drivers and the demo as well....no go.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20
    I always thought the the 360 version looks a little too zoomed in and too close up to the screen for some reason, some of the texture looks kind of muddy, now I know why. Its a shame such a beautiful game has to have such crappy widescreen support, hope they will fix it with a patch or someone at WSG will do something about it.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    886
    BTW this is interesting from an older thread posted by a dev:

    Originally Posted by ckline View Post
    You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved.
    see : http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659

    So why didn't this happen?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    I do hope it is just the demo issue and not the full game

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13
    it would be nice to get a response from one of the team...

    this post shows they intended to have true widescreen support...i wanna hear from them why they don't...

    hopefully it's a demo problem and not the full game...though i highly doubt it.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    886
    Well in all fairness, they didn't squash or stretch (which would ahve looked weird) but they just chopped the verticals off instead

    If they had a different project matrix set @ 16:10 ratio then the nominal FOV would have shown 'proper' widescreen, it appears they just zoomed in until the width was filled rather than show more of the environment... highly strange in this day an age.

    I still think perhaps it's just a bug and they will fix is shortly because it's just madness otherwise.

    Though of course, they shipped the Xbox version with this 'restricted' FOV (which 99% of user won't even realise!) which is scary.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    886
    damn the NO EDIT!!!!

    I just meant they didn't squash - but they did obv stretch (and crop)

  13. #53
    Gah! No true, FOV correct wide screen support....

    That's just sad. Very sad for a game of this caliber.

    Here's to hoping that the WSGF has a FOV hack soon.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    406
    This is something that's patchable, no? I'd like to enjoy this widescreen, myself.

  15. #55
    Hurray for 1999! Oh, wait... It's 2007. Where's the true widescreen?

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17
    I just got around to playing the demo. At 16:9 it feels so zoomed in I can barely stand it. Based on past experience looks like the default FOV is 75 degrees, which is really quite small for widescreen.

    I don't know if it's already been posted, but the game keeps it's config files in your App Data directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Bioshock). Specifically Bioshock.ini has the graphics settings.

    While there is an FOV setting in there, it applies to the editor only. I tried the old Unreal engine standbys of "DesiredFOV"/"DefaultFOV" in the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] where the resolution is kept, but it didn't have any effect. I also tried "FovAngleDegrees", which is the setting for the editor, under that [WinDrv.WindowsClient] section in the odd that the changed the name of the setting, but it still had no effect.

    I'm really hoping they didn't hardcode in the FOV.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    I'm not buying the game until this is fixed.

  18. #58
    yeah this is a little stupid on their part...I expect this to be fixed within a week or 2 of the 360 release

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4
    I cried as I did it, but I just cancelled my preorder. I can't play a non-widescreen game on a 37" widescreen. Sorry. I'll check back periodically and see if it's been fixed...

    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside0016 View Post
    yeah this is a little stupid on their part...I expect this to be fixed within a week or 2 of the 360 release
    It was never fixed on BF2 or BF2142; same problem. Ignored to this day.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by randyest View Post
    I cried as I did it, but I just cancelled my preorder. I can't play a non-widescreen game on a 37" widescreen. Sorry. I'll check back periodically and see if it's been fixed...


    It was never fixed on BF2 or BF2142; same problem. Ignored to this day.
    I feel the exact same way; BF2 would have been a lot of fun had it not been for EA refusing to add widescreen support.

  21. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    18
    is a problem like this even patchable on 360?

  22. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17
    I also won't be buying it until the FOV is adjustable. 75 degrees is just way too zoomed in for a 16:9 display, I don't know how people can stand it on the XBox.

    However, the upside is that I'm 99.999% sure the FOV can be changed. It's certainly a feature of the Unreal 3 engine. The problem is we either just can't figure out the appropriate setting (none of the usual Unreal engine ones work), or they hardcoded the FOV. Even if they did hardcode it, it should be a simple matter to patch the game to use an FOV based on a user setting instead.

  23. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    886
    Yes... i'm sure if it was up to irrational (2kb) they would and could sort it out fairly simply, it's literally just ensuring the projection matrix code (which is obviously already in the engine) is allowed to choose from the correct ratios (16:9, 16:10 etc).

    One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the 360 version is that it's 16:9 not 16:10 like the PC so will be different in some ways (but still 'wrong') and maybe even worse (I can't think just now cos i've been up all night and it's 5am)

    However having just played through the demo twice (on normal CRT monitor) there is no way I would cancel my pre-order, this is so lovingly crafted even in this short demo and takes a brave depature from the norm when it comes to art direction, coupled with the typical SS2 depth (possibly/almost).

    And on top of that it ran amazingly well on my 8800gtx/max settings (in dynamic lighting) on XP/DX9 with OLD driver (didn't even need new one so hopefully get a boost from them too) - this was at 1280x1024... didn't miss a beat and is comparable in performance to games from a year ago that didn't do half as much. Also at 1600x1200 @ max settings was easily playable but not 'perfect' cos it did have some slowdowns and minor jerks on occasion and i like to run as smooth as I can so it will 1280x1024 for me until they fix the widescreen thing then I will go to 1440x900 on the LCD.

    Oh and tbh the game options should have included a seperate setting for aspect ratio like other games (not just 16:10) because many of us will hook the pc up to the HDTV and play at the relatively tame resolution of 1366x720 (1280x720) which would prefer a 16:9 aspect.

    AA or lack of didn't bother me even at the lower of the two resolutions I tried (though probably would if I went lower than that). The only 'problem' with this game is the widescreen thing (and poss vista stuff that's happening with a lot of software anyway).

  24. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12

    Cancelling pre order

    You know, now that I think about it, why would I want to play this game when I will be seeing less of it? It doesn't make sense to me now that i think about it. I purchase a legitimate screen, one that is extremely popular, and I get penalised for it. Well, I wont get penalised if I don't buy the game will I?

    I won't sitting on the $20 deposit to my pre order until this problem is resolved. At least if the problem gets fixed I still get the $20 off. Its a real darn shame because I was so so very looking forward to playing it this friday (Australian release) too.

    This is starting to get under my skin.

  25. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12
    Sorry for double post, no edit.

    Greylantern

    Game goodness granted. However, you shouldn't be expected to put up with the reduced experience of seeing less just because you have a widescreen. I wouldn't want to ruin the game by playing it with zoomed in, I want the full experience as the developers SHOULD have intended. You should not have to go get your old CRT out of the garage just because someone...forgot to support widescreen.

    BAH! I need to take a walk outside.

  26. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    543

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
    God damn, what is the point in widescreen if all we get is part of the view missing and not something extra. Come on 2K, please get this sorted, plenty of other games managed to get it right.


    Yeah like UT 2004.... YEARS A GO

    I asked about this many times and was assured by the devs it would be perfect....

    Yeah right.... A usual the PC users get the shaft.

    From Unreal 2 on I have not had any real problems with getting PROPER widescreen support,with correct FOV.And this being LATE 2007,one would expect it to be perfect out of the box,without the need for ini editing,etc...

    This will piss me right off,if I come home tommorow with my two fully paid for copies for pc,and have to screw around to get what should have worked by default.I am going to be paying VERY close attention to this issue,and it IS
    a major one in my books.

    We have 4,count em 4 widescreen LCD's in our house,and all are used for gaming.Two are 24" inchers.145+ bucks for two copies,and hunderds more for upgrades to the pc's in the house....

    I wonder if this is yet another by product of having the PC version dev'd on the other side of the planet....

  27. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5
    I was going to buy this off steam tommorow until I heard of this anomaly and saw it in the demo. I dropped a lotta cheese on a new PC and 22" widescreen monitor...why the ☺☺☺☺ should i have to play a 2007 game without proper widescreen support?! I wont get it until its patched correctly

  28. #68

    Bunch of whining babies

    I had to join this forum just to say that you are all whining ☺☺☺☺s! I just loaded up the demo again on 360 and the game looks beautiful! I can't believe anyone would say that they are no longer buying this game because the view isn't the way they want it.

    All it takes is for the issue to be raised, and then just wait for a response. Crying about how the game is ruined for you is pathetic, and I bet the developer is happy a pice of ☺☺☺☺ like you isn't going to play their masterpiece.

    GREAT JOB 2K. AMAZING GAME!

  29. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tracertong View Post
    I was going to buy this off steam tommorow until I heard of this anomaly and saw it in the demo. I dropped a lotta cheese on a new PC and 22" widescreen monitor...why the ☺☺☺☺ should i have to play a 2007 game without proper widescreen support?! I wont get it until its patched correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneJesus View Post
    I had to join this forum just to say that you are all whining ☺☺☺☺s! I just loaded up the demo again on 360 and the game looks beautiful! I can't believe anyone would say that they are no longer buying this game because the view isn't the way they want it.

    All it takes is for the issue to be raised, and then just wait for a response. Crying about how the game is ruined for you is pathetic, and I bet the developer is happy a pice of ☺☺☺☺ like you isn't going to play their masterpiece.

    GREAT JOB 2K. AMAZING GAME!
    stop trolling. you dont even know what this thread is about you stupid ass

  30. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    543
    It is BEYOND me how they could mess something like this up in this day and age !!! So I guess this will be added to the wall of shame on WSGF ? Along with many other EA games of ill repute....

    I hope some of the great people over (WSGF) there can fix this,or that 2K Australia get on the ball,and get this sorted out ASAP.


    Like say,before I come back from EB tommorow morning at 11am.

  31. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Syvere View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. FOV is the same on xbox version as well. I just checked this as I have both my PC and xbox hooked on the same monitor. I put both demos on and compared the scene after the plane crash. BOTH VERSIONS HAVE MESSED UP FOV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevedroid View Post
    Ack, I stand corrected. From screenshots it looked ok to me, but I don't have the actual game and I would presume that Irrational would have optimized the game for widescreen on the 360, but apparently not.

    Wow, that's really kind of pathetic then. Given that the relationship between FOV and aspect ratio is apparent to us, most of whom aren't programmers but just reasonably smart people, I can never understand how some developers miss this stuff.

    I just ran back from a friends (same highrise) and we checked it on his 360 +
    Sony 40" Bravia,and it is screwed up.Even on the 360 !! Didnt really notice it until it was pointed out to me by a few people.

  32. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWakko View Post
    Sorry for double post, no edit.

    Greylantern

    Game goodness granted. However, you shouldn't be expected to put up with the reduced experience of seeing less just because you have a widescreen. I wouldn't want to ruin the game by playing it with zoomed in, I want the full experience as the developers SHOULD have intended.
    I agree. If I ONLY had a widescreen right now I would be pretty pissed because of a restrictive vertical FOV. My desire to play the game however means I am willing to play it on 4:3 CRT that I just have here also rather than cancel it.

    I don't think anyone should put up with it and I've done my bit to spread awareness (digging up the digg post, posting the links on popular blogs and talking about it here).

    I just don't want people to loose sight of the game itself, I have faith that they will sort it out because it's pretty easy to sort out (imo). If they REFUSE to sort it out AFTER you have bought it then it's a different matter. For now I say we register the complaint, hold back on the purchase if we feel like it and see what the response is cos this IS going to get a response for sure.

  33. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by neems View Post
    PS I assume Paddywak had both monitors running on one pc at the same time, which is why the screenshots match perfectly?
    No I didn't ... two separate PC's ... you just need to know what you are doing ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock
    The game will render in full 16:9 aspect ratio, with no letterboxing unless your resolution is not true 16:9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock
    Folks, don't fret, there's no letterboxing in 4:3, nor in 16:9. The game will use the most bad-ass resolution available to your video card and monitor.

    The HUD elements are adjusted appropriately align nicely in each aspect ratio.
    These statements are both correct ... BUT ...
    Doing the resolutions ... making sure that the HUD is in the correct place ... and not adding letterboxing are all great but they do not make TRUE widescreen ... you also need to adjust the FOV Chris.

    It feels very odd with this restricted FOV ...

    Please ... please fix this ...

  34. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10
    most computer monitors are 16:10, in the options higher for mine is 1680x1050 which is 16:10 widescreen and mine is clean

  35. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    543
    Dont fret !?!?! I am playing on a PC,not a 360.... My aspect ratio is 16:10,not 16:9,BIG difference.


    Paddywak what is the chance of someone at WSGF fixing this given that the ini entries make no dif ?

  36. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    2K Boston and Australia, I am HUGELY disappointed in the lack of proper widescreen support. I've been waiting for this game for ages and sadly the first thing I noticed when I played the demo yesterday was this. I had just days before read Bioshock's lead programmer Kevin Cline say that Bioshock will calculate the widescreen view properly. So why doesn't it then? Please, PLEASE fix this! Lack of proper widescreen support in a huge title like this in 2008 is simply UNACCEPTABLE. Sadly, I cannot enjoy this game the way it is at the moment. I will, however, buy it when it comes out and hope that you will address this issue. Thank you.

  37. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    57
    I have asked Racer_S if he could do his magic ... I'm awaiting his response but my guess is he will need the full game before he can answer me.

    BTW .. This issue is for ALL widescreen resolutions on both PC and the 360 ...

  38. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianP View Post
    ...Bioshock's lead programmer Kevin Cline say...
    Err, Chris Kline, I meant of course. I can't edit my post dammit!

  39. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12

    Lets have some faith.

    Lets all keep it together and have some faith in 2K that they will respond and fix this issue with urgency. Do we even know if it is similar in the full game yet?

    Yes it is a major slip up, but I am sure they are reasonable people who will respond shortly regarding this issue.

    So for forums sake lets keep it mature and civil, it will encourage a better response.

  40. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWakko View Post
    2K, first time post. Congrats on your success so far with BioShock, well done.

    I registered to express my dissappointement with your lack of true Widescreen support.

    It's 2007 for crying out loud, not 1998. Although this is not going to kill this fantastic game, it will significantly reduce the experience by reducing the field of view for those who are widescreen enthusiasts and players who like to be totally engrossed in the game through surround gaming and wider screens which try to imitate the human feild of view. Some people who try to get the best cutting edge experience out of such a good game have a right to share thier distaste at this what I think is laziness.

    This is quite dissapointing and I would like to say weak on the developers behalf. It can't be that hard to support TRUE widescreen.

    2K, please address this issue, or at least instruct someone to be able to create a fix.

    But still a great game well done.
    +1

    What he said...

    Great game.

    Please add HOR+ widescreen support.

    Love,

    Gabbo

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •