Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: No Sound, windows 7

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    No Sound, windows 7

    i've read about the windows xp compatability fix, but that doesnt work on 7 if i try to play in any mode other than default the game just goes to a black screen and locks up. I also read about the fix involving the control panel and the options i need arent even there in 7. As soon as the plane crashes and the logo dissapears there is no sound. I spent 50 bux on this game and it is retarded to think that i cant do anything with it now, and thanks to the ****ing online activation i cant even return it! this is almost as bad as losing my reg key to HL2, if there is no fix expect me to get copies of your games through other means...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    yea i have this to, a ****in pain in the ass

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    dude, its fairly simple to get sound.....although it sounds like it went through 20 meat grinders. with windows 7, right-click on that speaker icon on your taskbar and click the recording tab. then right click the stereo mix and enable it. bad sound but at least you have it....oh and to make bioshock tons more stable, right-click the launcher icon on your desktop then look in the shortcut tab. where it says target type this "C:\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock\Builds\Release\Bioshock.exe" -dx10 of course this only works if you installed bioshock to its default directory.

  4. #4
    I have found a fix for windows 7 for BioShock no sound it worked for me!!! ^-^


    http://nocturne.noctalis.com/codex.c...ows_7_No_Sound

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    I've been fighting BS all day and kindbud's solution is the only one that looks like it works.

    Win 7 64
    BS tried to install c++, failed.
    manully installed
    BS tried to install DX, failed
    manually installed

    BS tries to launch, crashes
    edited ini file according to
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-cb8a3ee8e19c
    WORKS!!! MSFT support is the only help so far, mind=blown

    BS launches, plane crashes, ingame sound dies.

    Realtek card, notice issues, reinstall drivers, nothing.

    Read advice to enable stereo mix
    http://nocturne.noctalis.com/codex.c...ows_7_No_Sound

    I'm sure it would work great but stereo mix is not there!

    I've had an easier time running games on linux for christs sake. I've got half a mind to run a pirated version on wine, i'm almost sure it will work better.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    I had the same problem with no sound after the plane crash and then it froze after the elevator, nothing fixed it. Then after moving back into my dorm it worked for some reason, sound and elevator. I saved shut down my PC and finished unpacking...
    Now the damn thing wont start! I've spent more time trying to get this game to run than it takes to beat!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    I've tried all fixes thus far. Nothing works.

    I have an Asus G72GX laptop. Windows 7 64bit. It was BUILT for gaming. Of course, all games have worked great so far except Bioshock.

    Problem: Bioshock.exe crashes while the splash logo displays. More specifically, an error message appears saying "Bioshock.exe has stopped working"

    Edited the default.ini file... obviously that allowed me to open the game but had no sound during gameplay. Reverted my changes. Game won't open.

    Tried to enable stereo mix. Game still refuses to open.

    I will NOT force it to run in DX9 mode. The game has a DX10 mode and I know it works. I have a DX10 card. I want it to work in DX10...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1

    Smile Bioshock 1 Sound Problem Fix in Windows 7

    To fix the sound problem in Bioshock 1 under Windows 7, all you need to do is to ENABLE "Stereo Mix" in the Sound

    Settings of Windows 7.

    Step-by-Step Solution:

    1. Access your system Sound Recording Settings
    In your status bar, right-click on the sound/speaker and select "Recording devices".
    OR
    (Alternatively, access the setting by click on Windows "Start Menu" > "Control Panel" > "Hardware and Sound" > click on link "Manage audio devices" under section "Sound" > click on the tab named "Recording" )

    Screenshot:
    http://www.vietvodao.co.za/images/ex...-StereoMix.png

    2. Enable Stereo Mix (see screenshot)
    Right click in the list of "recording device" where you should see "Microphone", "Line in", maybe "CD Audio".
    In the context menu, Tick the line called "Show Disabled Devices".
    Now you should seed "Stereo Mix" as a new Device.
    Right click on Stereo Mix and click on the first option of the context menu "Enable".

    3. Disable Microphone, LineIn, CD*Audio
    There was an echo / reverb effect going on in the game which wasn't related to the in-game Reverb setting (OFF). I think the windows recording settings created a feedback loop, so I disabled Microphone, LineIn and CD Audio and voilà! Problem was gone.


    This is it, Bioshock should work.
    You can also take the time to review the options in "Stereo Mix Properties", for example I set Default Format to

    2 channel, 16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) in the advanced tab, just enforce quality.

    Description of the Problem:
    • Once a game is loaded, there is no sound at all in Bioshock 1.
    • When I start Bioshock 1 under Windows 7, I can ear the background music in the main game menu, but there's no "on click" sound effect when clicking on the menu entries. That's a sign that the sound will not work after loading a game, not point wasting further time.


    Summary of things that didn't work for me:
    • Using compatibility mode ( 2000, XP SP2 or SP3) does not work ( game freezes at menu)
    • Installing Rapture3D drivers doesn't change anything
    • Reinstalling latest sound drivers or using Win7 native drivers is not necessary
    • Pluging-in earphones or microphone into the linein/mike inputs didn't work for me

    Hope this post will save you time to enjoy the game.

    ogui

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ogui View Post
    To fix the sound problem in Bioshock 1 under Windows 7, all you need to do is to ENABLE "Stereo Mix" in the Sound

    Settings of Windows 7.

    Step-by-Step Solution:

    1. Access your system Sound Recording Settings
    In your status bar, right-click on the sound/speaker and select "Recording devices".
    OR
    (Alternatively, access the setting by click on Windows "Start Menu" > "Control Panel" > "Hardware and Sound" > click on link "Manage audio devices" under section "Sound" > click on the tab named "Recording" )

    Screenshot:
    http://www.vietvodao.co.za/images/ex...-StereoMix.png

    2. Enable Stereo Mix (see screenshot)
    Right click in the list of "recording device" where you should see "Microphone", "Line in", maybe "CD Audio".
    In the context menu, Tick the line called "Show Disabled Devices".
    Now you should seed "Stereo Mix" as a new Device.
    Right click on Stereo Mix and click on the first option of the context menu "Enable".
    I'm getting the 'no sound after intro' problem on Windows 7, but this fix does not work for me. When I go to the Recording tab, right-click in the window and choose "Show Disabled Devices", no additional devices are shown, so there is no Stereo Mix option for me to enable. I've confirmed, by right-clicking again, that Show Disabled Devices is ticked.

    I've tried running in compatibility modes. XP Compatibility causes it to freeze on a blank screen, and Vista Compatibility doesn't solve the sound issue. I've tried altering the in-game audio settings, restarting the game after each change, to no effect.

    I'm using the on-board sound that came with my Gateway PC, but I don't know what hardware it is - in Device Manager, my audio controller is listed simply as "High Definition Audio Device", and no newer driver is available. My graphics card is a GeForce 8600 GT.

    Can anyone suggest anything else to enable sound on my system?

    EDIT: Just found a solution that worked for me. Running in Windows 2000 compatibility mode didn't crash the game, and the sound works!
    Last edited by MarkB; 05-23-2010 at 01:18 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10
    I am using windows 7 64bit, after installing the game and getting past the intro,
    plane crash, i had no sound.

    I solved this problem by:

    1.Go to program files (x86) folder
    2. open "2k games" folder, next folder you will see is "Bioshock"
    3. Open the bioshock folder and then next the "builds" and finally the
    "release" folder in there amongst other files is the bioshock exe file.
    4. Right click the file and go to properties.
    5. Click compatibility, from here you can choose to run bioshock in different
    compatibility modes..eg. windows xp service pack 2 mode etc.
    6. ON MY WINDOWS 7 64BIT VERSION, WINDOWS 2000 COMPATIBILITY WORKED. FOR OTHERS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 2...GO FIGURE.

  11. #11
    Yup. I had the same problem too, but didn't have the 'Stereo Mix' setting available even after 'Show Disables Devices'. I have the Bioshock for Steam. So I had to go to C:\Users\[User Name]\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock\Builds\Release. I had to set the "Bioshock.exe" to run in compatabillity mode for "Windows Server 2003(Service Pack 1)" Nothing else seemed to work. I have Windows 7 64-bit and have a DELL XPS 8300 computer(I'm pretty sure it has Realtek integrated sound).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    Here is one thing. I had no sound BUT I also have no stereomixer device even in hidden devices. My mobo build on 890FX chipset so AMD HD AUDIO does not have any hidden stereo mixers. So I downloaded fresh Realtek driver . and after installation I got that steremixer named "stereo mixer Realtek High Definition Audio" (on my amd mobo there is no Realtek devices at all) after that I could enable it and finally got a sound.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnassi View Post
    Here is one thing. I had no sound BUT I also have no stereomixer device even in hidden devices. My mobo build on 890FX chipset so AMD HD AUDIO does not have any hidden stereo mixers. So I downloaded fresh Realtek driver . and after installation I got that steremixer named "stereo mixer Realtek High Definition Audio" (on my amd mobo there is no Realtek devices at all) after that I could enable it and finally got a sound.
    I had no Stereo Mixer so downloaded Realtek and enabled it and still not working for me... I've tried running in all the different compatibility modes and editing the default.ini and still nothing... I don't know what else to do. I think I've tried all the recommended solutions. Someone help me please!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    My son had a similar issue. Using my pc,xbox controller, he loaded a saved game.
    Sound on splash screen but when game loaded, no sound
    and no controlls over the master volume in options. Simple fix
    ; close loader, re-open under administrator, and bam. Fixed.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FoXx View Post
    I am using windows 7 64bit, after installing the game and getting past the intro,
    plane crash, i had no sound.

    I solved this problem by:

    1.Go to program files (x86) folder
    2. open "2k games" folder, next folder you will see is "Bioshock"
    3. Open the bioshock folder and then next the "builds" and finally the
    "release" folder in there amongst other files is the bioshock exe file.
    4. Right click the file and go to properties.
    5. Click compatibility, from here you can choose to run bioshock in different
    compatibility modes..eg. windows xp service pack 2 mode etc.
    6. ON MY WINDOWS 7 64BIT VERSION, WINDOWS 2000 COMPATIBILITY WORKED. FOR OTHERS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 2...GO FIGURE.
    This has fixed mine, on widows 7 64 bit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •