Thread: Preloading on Steam

Preloading on Steam

I, as many others use steam. Can we expect to be able to pre-load bioshock 2 as we get closer to February 9th?

Yes this would be very good if 2K will let us pre-load

heh, I cant agree more

Yeah, I really would like preloading so I don't have to use our bandwidth, we get 15GB of data each month, and if downloaded bioshock 2 we would go over our limit or close to. Then my dad couldn't use the internet for his job. I say this because I could just go to my brothers house who has 20Mb Charter. or just preload when I go to bestbuy to have them install windows 7.

I was thinking about that earlier. A pre-load would be a deliciously appreciated privilege, especially since the game is 11 monstrous gigabytes.

I don't use Steam (Xbox Gamer) So what does pre-loading mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    im not exactly sure never done it myself but i presume it is. downloading the game early but not being able to play it until the release date. so u preorder the get to download when release date rolls along you get to jump right in no download required. since you use 360 no need to worry bout this

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    Pre-loading, my man, is a fantastic feature brought to us by the kind folks of Valve. It allows Steam users who have pre-ordered a game to download 95% of the game's data, days before launch - this means that on launch day, users only need to download 5% (and the code required to make all the data work) in order to play their game, drastically cutting the download and install time down.

It's useful for those of us who want to dive right into a game, or whose internet connections prolong the download over several days.
    Last edited by Crezth; 01-20-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaminking View Post
    im not exactly sure never done it myself but i presume it is. downloading the game early but not being able to play it until the release date. so u preorder the get to download when release date rolls along you get to jump right in no download required. since you use 360 no need to worry bout this
    Yeah, just wondering, I'm seeing all this stuff about Stream and I'm just like "What..is going on?" Lol.
    Nice to understand about the with game platforms though

Quote Originally Posted by Crezth View Post
    Pre-loading, my man, is a fantastic feature brought to us by the kind folks of Valve. It allows Steam users who have pre-ordered a game to download 95% of the game's data, days before launch - this means that on launch day, users only need to download 5% (and the code required to make all the data work) in order to play their game, drastically cutting the download and install time down.
    ya what he said

I'm not sure what the policy for preloading is. Is it limited to Valve games? The only game I preloaded was L4D2, which is a Valve game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture_Reminder View Post
    I'm not sure what the policy for preloading is. Is it limited to Valve games? The only game I preloaded was L4D2, which is a Valve game.
    No. It's for any game. Besides, wasn't Borderlands pre-loaded?

All valve games have pre-loading and some non-valve games have it as well, but is very rare

Quote Originally Posted by army123 View Post
    All valve games have pre-loading and some non-valve games have it as well, but is very rare
    Borderlands is a 2K game, so it's very possible that Bio2 might also have it, right?

Yea possible, higher chance than other games under a different publisher.
    Seeing how borderlands had it? (As somebody else said)