Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: How many installs do we get ? Transfer of ownership ?

drm = digital rootkit makers

i strongly believe in that

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Birdman View Post

If you want SecuROM off after you play there is a few thread's describing the process on how to remove it. Good luck and safe gaming
    We shouldn't have to rely on a jury rigged, dangerous (for the common user) set of procedures to remove a product THAT 2K INSTALLED.

They hid the true nature of this secureROM version, and then didn't provide a way to uninstall it.

For crying out loud, secureROM doesn't even want to tell us how to remove it completely.

There should be an app for this. I shouldnt have this BS sitting on my system

You're preaching to the choir drtechno. However, there are things you do have to keep in mind. First being 2k does not own SecuROM, they can not just make or give you an uninstaller for it. Just as most of us in the USA do not own the software that we buy the same would apply here, 2k can not modify SecuROM they paid for the right to use it and include it on their discs. The next problem you run into is the same reason I believe 2k does not uninstall SecuROM to begin with. SecuROM is not part of the game its a windows service with its own setup to run with multiple programs on your system. If you say have C&C 3 installed, then install BioShock, and then uninstalled BioShock and it uninstalled SecuROM as well your C&C 3 would now fail to run. SecuROM should contain its own uninstall system with a warning about any software that uses it not running if you uninstall, but that falls on Sony and not 2k. Basicly it is too late for BioShock, it has SecuROM on it and don't think it is going to come off by choice. I was just simply pointing out for those that it was too late for... there are ways to get it off that are well detailed.

I'd like to know why 2K felt the need to single out the PC version for DRM.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no such restrictions on the 360 version. There is a very healthy market for reselling used console games and rentals. This is all generating money of which 2K never sees a cent. There is also a piracy market for console games. Why wasn't there an online authenication process for the 360 as well?

Ok.. so finally this is no longer an issue since a working patch is out and confirmed by numerous sources.

Quote Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
    Ok.. so finally this is no longer an issue since a working patch is out and confirmed by numerous sources.
    A "working patch"?

Ok let start with a look on definition of malware.

from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/m/malware.html
    (malīw„r) (n.) Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.

Hmm SecuROM dont sound like a malware.

Well lets see what else do SecuROM.

from http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/08/27...drm/page3.html
    We tried to look into the SecuROM software to find out why this was happening, but the software prevents the use of several software tools, including the network monitor.

Well looks like it stops a few Software tools from functioning. So it disrupts the system. And I am quit sure that is intent to and not a bug.

Guess this is some what important to "without the owner's informed consent".

Well dont know about you but to me is sure hell looks like SecuROM is a malware.

BTW to all of you that thinks that SecuROM is in games because of piracy thats just total bs. It is there because pep are paying for a game with SecuROM.

Quote Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
    So as of right now if I simply get the latest patch I won't have SecuROM or the 2 isntalls limit?

No more hassle

Quote Originally Posted by silentcircuit View Post
    A "working patch"?
    I can confirm that there is an "unofficial" working patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    So as of right now if I simply get the latest patch I won't have SecuROM or the 2 isntalls limit?
    Yes, that is correct, but don't expect to find this patch from 2K sites

Quote Originally Posted by ItdoesNOTwork View Post

I dont think it completely uninstalls securom, but at least you'll have no problems with the activation anymore. Now i wonder when 2K will wake up and remove the bloody activation itself, since its cracked now anyway.

Lets hope so mate....
    xbox 360 owners and steam users arent afflicted with this, so why should we, chuh....

12. Quote Originally Posted by Wet Flannel View Post
    Lets hope so mate....
    xbox 360 owners and steam users arent afflicted with this, so why should we, chuh....
    Actually steam has the install limit & securom as well which makes absolutely no sence what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ItdoesNOTwork View Post

My email is synogatch@netscape.net email me a link please.

mattonia2002@hotmail.com - i would also really really like a link to this crack
    shame on me

I have the STEAM Bioshock running ok on oner XP system..I have tried to load it on a second VISTA system to test DX10...I tried the STEAM backup program...and it backed up to an external USB drive and then loaded STEAM APPS on the Vista system ok..no games in the steam games tab....strange.

Tried to load the backup from the USB drive with the Steambackup.exe program and it asks for a key??

When i downlaoded from STEAM I got no key???

ANy ideas?

Alex

Lightbulb How many installs do we get ? Transfer of ownership ?

Hello all, i wonder about installing the game and active it , then make a save point of the system with windows, then uninstalling bioshock to re-credit securom-activation-account and finaly restore my system.

So did this give me others activations (>5) if i do it multiple times ?
    Did the restored version of bioshock work ?

Hi,

I am searching for the specific tool to deinstall the game in case of reseting the activation limit.

Where can I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by thefors View Post
    Hi,

I am searching for the specific tool to deinstall the game in case of reseting the activation limit.

Where can I find it?

Don't thank they have it out yet. But it would be nice if they HURRY up.

The game works fine with new installs.

Roomate bought the game, finished it, passed it on to my brother who installed on his computer and finished it. No issues at all with seperate installs.

I do believe you will see an issue if you try to image the CD or burn a new one and attempt to run same game on multiple computers at once.

has anyone tried bioshock with something like slysofts "game jackal"? it is truly inconvenient and dangerous for your disc to be constantly putting it in and out of your disc drive...

so does game jackal successfully defeat it?

Quote Originally Posted by thefors View Post
    Hi,

Where can I find it?

Any News on when this dam tool is comming out ????????

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    Any News on when this dam tool is comming out ????????
    Unfortunately not. We have no ETA but hopefully it will not be too much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech John View Post
    Unfortunately not. We have no ETA but hopefully it will not be too much longer.
    cool thx for the update

I know this is wonky and probably sac religious to post on 2k's website, but what the heck, I'm insanely angered, and thought of no other way to spread the news.

Each form only takes five minutes to complete... if that

I'm contacting the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau about 2k games' use of the securom 5-install ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺.

My college's help-desk slicked my hdd without telling me and took away one of my install chances. after I install it again.... that leaves three more installs,
    wtf if I have a hdd crash, need the HD space, etc?

Join with me and contact them both.
    Here is the info so it will take no time at all to complain:

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01 <--- to file a complaint with the FTC

http://complaint.bbb.org/ <--- to file a complaint with the BBB

here is 2k Games's basic info that you will need

Product: Bioshock PC edition.
    Address:
    622 Broadway
    New York, New York

Tel: 646 723 4200

email: inquiries@2kgames.com

And this is what I put as my complaint, and you can use it in your own form to make filing this complaint easy for you:

"2k Games' software title Bioshock (PC) has a special program added to it by SecuROM that only allows you to install the program five times. After that you have to purchase the game all over again. This is simply ridiculous. I involuntarily had my hard drive erased by a tech/help center at my college, since my motherboard was faulty, and the Bioshock (PC) program was the likely culprit or one of many. This took one of my chances of installing the software away. This means after I install it again, I will only have three chances. What if my hard-drive fails, or I run out of space and need to delete it or some other computer malfunction causes me to need to uninstall it. I really think that limiting the install times is bordering unfair practice from a company. It would be like buying a $50 dvd-movie and only allowed to watch it five times, when you legally own it. It's insane!"

If we get enough people to do it, maybe we can get something done about it....

I have to agree that having a limited number of installs for a game has no justification. I'm not sure why they put it in there in the first place. They are working on a revoke tool, though.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiezilla View Post
    They are working on a revoke tool, though.
    Ya but when will it come out ?? 10years mabt 15 years at the soonest ??? This is the revoke tool should all ready be out http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif
    Last edited by Tech Dan; 10-10-2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: cursing

As mentioned earlier we dont have an ETA for this at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Dan View Post
    As mentioned earlier we dont have an ETA for this at this time
    thats Because you guys could care less about the masses.
    as i see it, as long as this game sells, regardless of everyone not liking the securerom feature and sm2 support, all else doesnt matter.
    if you guys really cared about this game and the people who are willing to buy it, you guys would make all attempts to make sure and release whtever patch or tool is needed to make this game work for everyone.
    statements like "we dont know when" is basically the same as saying, "will we might do it, or when we feel like it we might"
    statements like that show you guys really dont give a crap.

A revoke tool has now been released and is available at the following link.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/revoketool.html

Thumbs down 2K sucks

Too little, too late...

I just registered here to say that BioShock was the first game I have ever bought from 2K. It is also my last. I'm returning the game tomorrow for a refund. I am also discouraging other people from buying the PC version.

This is extremely poor planning and organizing on 2K's part. You can't screw customers over by releasing a cheap quick fix with a complimentary song and dance, then expect them to go for it.

1) Hackers will always find a way.
    2) First impressions last forever.
    3) Piss off enough people, and you'll have nothing.
    4) Me: Easy come, easy go!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920