Thread: Re-use of activation code on new PC?

Re-use of activation code on new PC?

From the pc blowout article:
    What does the internet activation entail? Why do you have it?
    It's an anti-piracy measure that we unfortunately have to implement to curb illegal game distribution as best we can. It's a one time check and then you're done.

Can you play the game if you have to reinstall windows after you have installed it once?
    Yes, this is possible.
    So, we can reinstall on the same PC after a windows wipe after we've already installed, but no guarantee of installation on new PCs or whether we have to contact support to re-use a key for reinstallation. My questions:

1) is the code tied to the hardware once it's used once, (as referred to here)
    preventing us from installing on a new or upgraded machine?

2) if not, is there going to be low limit of say 2 or 3 uses before the key becomes 'blocked'

3) what hoops will we have to go through to get further activations of the code - phone support to get a new one?

The reason I ask is there are two models of online key prevention. One only kicks in after a key is used many. many times over a short space of time, with 'regeneration' if the key isn't used for a time. The other kicks in restrictions after a key is used only a few times, or even once.

Microsoft OEM keys tied to a motherboard are an example of the latter that would be simply unacceptable for a game. Given the issues some people are having with activation - their key simply doesn't work - I'm wondering if perhaps their key has already triggered this 'overuse' limit because of their many failed attempts to activate.

My pre-order likely won't arrive until friday; I need to send it back sealed if I'm after a full refund. I simply daren't open it and install it if clarification isn't forthcoming on how restrictive activation is going to be in the future.

Boy, I'd like to know what happens when Bioshock becomes a decrepit and old bargain bin game in the future. Would the servers even still be active then?

it let me install it on 2 of my computers and turned down a third. The answer, "It's possible" certainly implies major inconvenience for the customer to reinstall after a windows wipe.. Many gamers upgrade more than once a year. This will simply be unreasonable and unacceptable..Why even offer a dvd under such terms...far better to digital download allah Steam.. This is definately going to undermine any goodwill left between law abiding gamers and the distributors

not to mention, you take away any option to sell it after personal use

I format at least 5x a year.

This activation is garbage. I can't even get my game to start because my key has already been "used twice".

Damn that sucks! I think I might hold out then till they take this protection off if its true.

Yeah this f***ing sucks I'm returning my unopened copy tomorrow!

Okay hands up everyone that didn't see this train wreck called online activation coming.

Oh look everyone at 2K just raised their hands.

now remember now these images are from the computer i played the game on not less the 6 houtrs ago.and now i reinstalled xp no go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...22/screen1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...22/screen2.jpg

Thumbs down

I bought this game on vaction and installed it on my mom's laptop. I realized my dad's computer is better and swithed over to that one. You're telling me I can never play it on my home computer? I'll never be able game i've been looking forward to for over a year and had bought with my own money that i've saved up, unless i shell out another 50+ bucks? Please, Please i beg of you, release a patch that gets rid of this rediculous activation. If you don't i'll be forced to pirate a game I paid for with my own money.

yep they screwed us over and dont even care

re

What im waiting for is for the eu activation to roll around and for people to come on complaining that their keys have allready been used by pirates. That would just be the iceing on this cake

GG 2K!

Well it looks like I may never buy another game from 2k. Sad really. I made the same vow for EA games. They haven't seen a dime from me in 2 years.

lol I'm wondering where this ☺☺☺☺ is going, they can do like with the Music Recording programs, use an USB key where register all their products if they want so much stop pirates.

Thinking to buy the steam version.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL3r View Post
    yep they screwed us over and dont even care
    We don't know if they don't care, because none of them are online right now as far as I can tell. Wait until later today to see if they are going to sort this mess out.

This is ridiculous. It means that ALL OF US WHO BOUGHT IT will have to rely to the pirated .exe file. 2K Games and Irrational is this how you treat us? First with the demo........now with this activation issue? Hello theeeeeeeeere,do you know what PC upgrades mean? HELLO THERE,EVERYONE UPGRADES/CHANGES THEIR PC CONFIGURATIONS. You are really screwing us

PS: And keep in mind that the bloody X360 was pirated in the same day of it's release. What did you do for that? NOTHING. Jesus you really are encouraging the PC gamers with your behaviour to pirate your game

Great game

I was going to buy this game at release date, but now I have decided that i will not reward this type of "anti-piracy" measures.
    What they truly are does not even resemble, I would call it anti-we-want-people-to-buy-the-game-measures.

I will not buy the game, I will download it, and wait patiently for the crack.
    I hope they remove this obscenely stupid countermeasure from the game in a patch, immediately.

I suggest you guys do the same.

i was excited to get this game....
    i upgraded my pc for it (to be honest not only for that game, but you get the idea), but, if i cannot reinstall it more than once (even on the same pc) i will avoid BioShock like the plague...

I ran into problems activating more than twice (due to computer issues at the time). I was issued one more activation run through many hours of talking to tech support and email correspondence.

from tech support emails:
    If in the future you do need to install the game on another PC please do not hesitate to get back in touch and we will be able to address any activation issue that may occur.
    Not really a solution but at least they are willing to work with the game owners.

Oh, it should be noted that I needed to provide a photograph of my manual in order for this issue to be resolved.

This is insane Was their mission before the game was released to piss off as many pc users as possible ? And they wonder why so many download cracked games. We as customers shouldnt be treated as criminals.. lmao activated game too many times is the biggest joke ever.

What about us that reinstall windows 2-3 times every 6 months or so.. i bought the game i wanna install, uninstall reinstall as many times as i please.

So apparently, they used SecuROM for Copy-protection. Worst idea ever.

If I had known that it would be using Securom, I wouldn't skipped out the PC version completely. Seriously, my first and last time dealing with Securom was from Star Wars: Empire at War and it took me about three days to deal with them and just to get it running.

I'm also not understanding the idea behind the "2 activations" thing..I'd like an answer from the devs on when they're removing this secu-rom copy protection and allowing us to install the game as many times as we need to (after all, we paid $50 for the game). It's a great game and everything but I don't feel we're being treated with the respect that paying customers deserve. The activation limit should be removed and we should be able to play without our disc..is it really too much to ask?

This is ridiculous, you have to beg them every time you want a new activation slot.

The worst is that I remember not so long ago I was actually happy to discover that Bioshock was using Securom, I was thinking to myself "great at least it doesn't use Starforce", and in the end what happens ? they managed to find a copy protection method that is much worse than Starforce

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6037

It's confirmed. 2 activations and that's your lot. If you beg and beg securerom *might* let you activate one more time, or they may tell you to bugger off.

Guess it's time to tell my gaming group the news and start planning refunds (too late to cancel now). Ah well. Thanks for nothing 2K. Hope you remember this when you see absymal sales figures on the PC - it was your own damn anti-piracy measures that stopped legitimate customers buying your game, and no doubt will turn a bunch of them to piracy.

well thanks for shafting us with a red-hot iron poker again 2k, just when i was starting to get the faith back BAM! you shoot it down, Well done

Ever heard the term "Flogging a dead horse"? well that is what this activation is doing

Quote Originally Posted by Agnus Déi View Post
    This is insane Was their mission before the game was released to piss off as many pc users as possible ?
    /conspiracy mode on

mark rein (mister i hate pc gamers and kiss console users ass form epic) prolly gave the ut3 engine out for free under the restriction that each game that will use it comes up with something to seriously ☺☺☺☺ up the pc versions.

/conspiracy mode off

pc gamers are gettting shafted all the time...

i think we need to stand up and revolt.

Exactly.

I dont care how many kick ass reviews this game got. If I cant install it, it might as well be a 50 buck piece of ☺☺☺☺ to me.

It's ironic.........the devs were complaining about the sales of the game and behold their actions. Seriously Irrational what happened to you? And don't you ever,EVER complain about the low sales of the PC version if you don't fix this MAJOR issue. I'm surprised that none of the PC reviews has stated it.....well mine will include this. WE ARE GAMERS,we aren't criminals you know . We support every great game,we love every great game and mark our words (as you've already seen it in this forum the last hours),with this activation thing YOU ARE KILLING YOUR OWN GAME. This is the stupidest anti-piracy measure,WE DON'T HAVE CONSOLES,WE HAVE PC'S THAT WE ARE UPGRADING THEM AND HAVE DIFFERENT OS'ES. Jesus Christ

Good god, what a disgrace. It's as if they're actively enticing people to pirate this game instead of buying it. My opinion on 2K was already quite low after their non-existing customer relations and customer feedback of the past week, but this tops everything. And they have the nerve to call pirates thieves and criminals.
    I can only hope this company goes down soon, so those very few honest and talented people working for them can go back to looking at themselves in the mirror at morning. It's companies like this that have destroyed what was once a glorious, exciting and promising industry.

They will never see even a cent of my money and I can only call upon everyone else to do the same. Moaning on these forums will get us nowhere, the only place you can make them feel your dissatisfaction is in their wallets.

Nobody should blame the Devs for this, all the blame should go to 2k they killed off the Irrational name and i hope that WHEN 2k finally goes down that the devs can find a better place to work other than that crapshack

Jesus, even the steam version is getting hit by this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=589874

A game using this kind of copy protection should get 0% reviews all over the place.
    What do great graphics and audio matter when in a few months I will not be able to play this thing? I´ve got 2 computers at home atm, two more "in parts". I change graphics cards about 4 times a year, CPUs about twice, same goes for motherboards. Whenever there´s a cheap opportunity to upgrade my hardware or to get something cool and sell the old stuff without great loss, I take it.

Now, 2K is telling me that for being a hardware enthusiast I shall be punished?
    Basically they want me to build a single computer for the game - and probably make a harddrive image of it to be sure and to have it up and running.
    Besides, apart from the activation thing - what happens when you change parts without re-installing windows? I swapped three mobos on one machine without re-formatting (though with thorough cleaning). Will the game see a changed hardware signature and refuse to run?

This is ridiculous, I´m a enthusiast too and definately not buying this game until this piece of crap is removed from the game. First Starforce now this????? Ohh come on, wake up 2K before it´s too late!

Well, give them time. A patch can't just pop up over night. All the problems people are having are posted in this forum, so its only a matter of time ( preferably a very little matter of time) before something clicks in the head of all the 2K people and a patch will be bourn.....

Quote Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
    Well, give them time. A patch can't just pop up over night. All the problems people are having are posted in this forum, so its only a matter of time ( preferably a very little matter of time) before something clicks in the head of all the 2K people and a patch will be bourn.....
    i sure hope so, all they need 2 do right now is make a sticky saying they are going 2 do something abt the activation and i will stfu