Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vending Machine VO Issue

Vending Machine VO Issue

Hey Cultists -

I need to offer a bit of an apology. There was a question about a month ago on whether the vending machine voices would be returning in Bioshock 2. I answered an emphatic "Yes" because they had indeed been in the game and working just fine for most of production.

It seems like something happened during the final scramble to get the game shipped that turned off the vending machine voices. I don't know quite what broke along the way yet, we are still trying to figure that out. The bottom line is that they are not in the shipped version of the game.

In the grand scheme of things, I know this isn't a huge issue but it is one that I take seriously. I am pretty embarrassed by this and really apologize to you fans as I know how much that it is little things like that really bring Rapture to life. The world of Bioshock is certainly a little less colorful without them. This issue slipped by a lot of people as the game went out the door but ultimately the responsibility here lays with me.

Michael Kamper
    Audio Lead

Hey, at least the reviewers didn't complain. One of them even said:

The game atones for many of the design sins of the original, making hacking more fun, deleting the repetitive noise of the original—"Welcome to the Circus of Value!! Hahaha!" is never heard—and fixing the sometimes clunky interface of the original.
    http://kotaku.com/5466745/bioshock-2...ase-of-rapture

So I assume this will be resolved by patches?

That's...depressing. But thanks for the heads up.

Oh, it's no biggie. :P Everyone makes mistakes. Don't sweat it!

I agree that it isn't a big deal, but still disappointing. It would be nice if there was a patch or something for it provided afterwards to fix the problem. Is there any chance of that happening?

Well, we know that you weren't lying, so we can't blame you there. The issue was sudden and out of your control(for the most part). We forgive ya, Michael Can this be fixed with a patch sometime in the future?

Is there going to be a patch you think?

dont worry kamper these things happen and its not like it is a deal breaking thing. I understand things go wrong and so do the people on the forums.

I'll let you guys know about any patch info if it happens

Aw man, that is saddening to hear. Can you guys pledge to get this addressed in a patch?

We all appreciate the openness and communication on this issue though!

*Falls on knees and screams up at the sky* NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Sipping OJ and eating scones with the rest of the Pawns
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K_mkamper View Post
    Great to hear. I haven't played a game that didn't have at least a few bugs, so this isn't too much of a problem.

So are we not going to hear them at all, or just when we're actually using the vending machine? Like we're not going to hear them randomly while walking around the halls, but if we exit from the vending machine, we'll still hear "Come back when you get some money, buddy!"?

I feel bad for the console players without an internet connection. They'll have to make do with their silent vending machines.

after reading this...I'm confused..,what counts as the ''shipped'' version of the game?? can anyone answer this for me??

I really really REALLY am kinda glad this was left out, it bugged me in the first game, so repetitive...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    after reading this...I'm confused..,what counts as the ''shipped'' version of the game?? can anyone answer this for me??
    The copies that are currently on shelves right now.

Anyways i think we all make mistakes and although this is sad to hear we appreciate your honesty on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
    Great to hear. I haven't played a game that didn't have at least a few bugs, so this isn't too much of a problem.
    Good point. No game is perfect. But at least 2K makes the effort to communicate with us about these things, something which 90% other companies lack. So we appreciate the heads-up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerman View Post
    I really really REALLY am kinda glad this was left out, it bugged me in the first game, so repetitive...
    I wasn't bugged at all by the vending machines..I always thought they added to the atmosphere

Thanks for the heads up, mkamper, though I probably won't be bothered by the lack of vending machine barks at all.

Maybe if they get added back in, they can be optional?

Personally, I think worse mistakes could have been made. For example, turning off all the character models for a certain part of the game or turning off the sound all together. Don't sweat it; we're fans enough to maybe find a recording of the voice and play it whenever we enter them ourselves.

(although, in retrospect, a patch to turn them on would be nice as well, but if its impossible to do without handing out newly pressed copies of the game then don't panic)

Quote Originally Posted by Painman View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, mkamper, though I probably won't be bothered by the lack of vending machine barks at all.

Maybe if they get added back in, they can be optional?
    Already are. It's called volume control

Quote Originally Posted by Judgeofwings View Post
    The copies that are currently on shelves right now.

Anyways i think we all make mistakes and although this is sad to hear we appreciate your honesty on the matter.
    so in other words does that mean all the copies that people are getting/have gotten early from some stores selling the game early...or the copies will be recieving on Tuesday after midnight tonight??

I. am . CRUSHED. Thanks for being honest about the whole thing. I hope this is not a sign that other things were forgotten or not polished for the final version.

I know it sounds a little silly to be upset over over a vending machine voice, but I am actually crushed right now. That sucks. A LOT.

Please create some sort of patch for this that can be released quickly.
    Last edited by A_Man_Chooses; 02-08-2010 at 02:07 PM.

so in other words does that mean all the copies that people are getting/have gotten early from some stores selling the game early...or the copies will be recieving on Tuesday after midnight tonight??
    Every single consumer copy out now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheParasite View Post
    *Falls on knees and screams up at the sky* NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Sipping OJ and eating scones with the rest of the Pawns
    Quote Originally Posted by PureNukage View Post
    Already are. It's called volume control
    Not unless you want to mute out the entire background audio as well.

They're all identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture_Reminder View Post
    Every single consumer copy out now.
    that doesn't quite answer my question clearly....so..BOTH the copies that are being sold early AND the copies that will be available after midnight tonight???

Now i'm gonna find myself walking to an ammo vendor and shouting "BiienvenidOoo alll ammOo baaanditOoo!" out of habit.

that doesn't quite answer my question clearly....so..BOTH the copies that are being sold early AND the copies that will be available after midnight tonight???
    Yep. Every copy.

ahhhh . this sucks but.. i hope it gets fixed or somethin.

Not the end of the world. It's still my ringtone for my phone. Thanks for the heads up =)

Although it is slightly annoying it must be quite simple to patch right?
    Either way the rest of the audio is second to none.

Question. Does this apply to all vending machines? Even ammo? And are the Gatherer's Gardens effected by this as well?

Man, this is very unfortunate. But hopefully it can be addressed in future updates / patches. Those vending sounds are really great, and I'd love to see if they'll be working again. But definitely, I speak for everyone when I say we ALL understand how things like this happen.

Hopefully, a patch will be out before I finally get around to buying the game. But thanks for being honest, Mr. Kamper!!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Man_Chooses View Post
    Question. Does this apply to all vending machines? Even ammo? And are the Gatherer's Gardens effected by this as well?
    Yea, he pretty much said that the vending machine sounds were turned off by accident. This must include ALL vending machines, unless Gatherer's Gardens don't count as "vending."

This only affects the Clown and Bandito machines.

I'm just glad that you've kept the sounds that you hear when you pick something up, that satisfying thud makes my day.

This only affects the Clown and Bandito machines.
    That's a little bit of good news I guess. I love those Gatherer's Garden sounds.
    Last edited by A_Man_Chooses; 02-08-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast