Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Widescreen is fudged... AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
    Widescreen in Mass Effect 2:

1280x1024 (5:4)
    http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2933/1280x1024d.jpg

1920x1080 (16:9)
    http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3743/1920x1080o.jpg

I guess BioShock 2 is not the only game.
    Wow, that is a bummer. I wonder if it is same for Xbox 360 version...

It really is a shame that 2K will not address this issue. I guess I would not have as much of an issue if they had not fixed the first game. How can they have this position if they fixed the first one? I was a huge fan of the first game but I will not buy this game until it has proper wide screen support (and on the xbox 360). I have plenty of other great games to occupy my time with.
    Last edited by fliptwister; 02-17-2010 at 01:56 AM.

I am confused. Is the patch out and I somehow can not find it?

I see people adding "post-patch" in their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryRush View Post
    I am confused. Is the patch out and I somehow can not find it?

I see people adding "post-patch" in their comments.
    Yes, it's been out for about a week or so.

You can get it if you log in to GFWL (Live, not offline), or you can download it from here:

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch...-2-Patch.shtml

that's the very first patch released on the 12th, it doesn't include the widescreen fix, that's still pending because 2k like to take their sweet as time to do ****.

really 2k???????? still no fix???????????

you guys had 2 years to get this right and you screwed up. if this isnt fixed i will cease support of your company. i refuse to pay $70 for half assed game. fix the ps3 textures and fix the widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by zxe View Post
    that's the very first patch released on the 12th, it doesn't include the widescreen fix, that's still pending because 2k like to take their sweet as time to do ****.
    The overall picture right now suggests otherwise.

The current word and evidence we have in order of occurance:
    • Claim that the field of view hitch is a bug isolated to the pc version only
    • Elizabeth's widesceen announcement on cult of Rapture
    • A patch, with no claim on FOV fixes in the release notes, which after application, proves the viewspace acts exactly the same as Elizabeths Post Patch screenshot
    • Elizabeth stating the fov fix is still in the works
    • Tech's forwarding word that the field of view will stay at 75, that the developers / producers will not change, and have no intention to change that.

There are a number of suggestions we can theorize from this information.
    • The field of view "fix" is implemented and finalised.
    • The patch was slipped in under the radar, perhaps in hopes to minimalise attacks on 2k from more people noticing the field of view is dangerous.
    • We are witnessing miss-information in between 2k staff itself.
    • The community has been supplied with miss information from 2k, this may well be a side effect of the previous point and is therefore excusable. Clarrification would be appreciated.

The current sound conclusion we have at this moment of time is that there will be no further changes officially to the field of view.

History repeating itself here gives hope that we will see a field of view unlock option quietly implemented again, however this is somewhat crushed as the console versions do not have a 4:3 edition, only letterbox.

Perhaps the developers/producers are actually guttered at the field of view oversight having spent much time, effort and money focusing and testing their level design*, cutscenes and in game flags under 16:9 @ 75 fov.

*The view you have at the very beggining of the game before you move at all looks good (some would argue even better with a corrected fov).
    Unfortunately, actual hands on gameplay is largely undesireable.
    Last edited by Floorless; 02-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Great post above and agree with the statement. Well, if your theory is true, and it very well could be, that would be a very big let down for the community. What stings more is that Bioshock 2 is a good game. You take out the bugs and the widescreen issue and it's up there so far. But man alive, some of these bugs are head scratchers. How did they get through?

Hopefully they suprise us and come out with something. That would be nice.

For the time being I'm tweaking my own FOV fix at 100 (looks better) and turning down the music in game (audio issue). Playing right through.

Quote Originally Posted by JanKowalski View Post
    Widescreen in Mass Effect 2:

1280x1024 (5:4)
    http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2933/1280x1024d.jpg

1920x1080 (16:9)
    http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3743/1920x1080o.jpg

I guess BioShock 2 is not the only game.
    While the effects on 4:3 vs 16:9 are true, and I would kill for all Unreal Engine based titles to roll out a FOV adjustment patch, Mass Effect/Gears of War are third person. This makes a big difference in perception of depth and motion sickness.
    Last edited by Floorless; 02-16-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floorless View Post
    The overall picture right now suggests otherwise.

The current word and evidence we have in order of occurance:
    • Claim that the field of view hitch is a bug isolated to the pc version only
    • Elizabeth's widesceen announcement on cult of Rapture
    • A patch, with no claim on FOV fixes in the release notes, which after application, proves the viewspace acts exactly the same as Elizabeths Post Patch screenshot
    • Elizabeth stating the fov fix is still in the works
    • Tech's forwarding word that the field of view will stay at 75, that the developers / producers will not change, and have no intention to change that.

There are a number of suggestions we can theorize from this information.
    • The field of view "fix" is implemented and finalised.
    • The patch was slipped in under the radar, perhaps in hopes to minimalise attacks on 2k from more people noticing the field of view is dangerous.
    • We are witnessing miss-information in between 2k staff itself.
    • The community has been supplied with miss information from 2k, this may well be a side effect of the previous point and is therefore excusable. Clarrification would be appreciated.

The current sound conclusion we have at this moment of time is that there will be no further changes officially to the field of view.

History repeating itself here gives hope that we will see a field of view unlock option quietly implemented again, however this is somewhat crushed as the console versions do not have a 4:3 edition, only letterbox.

Perhaps the developers/producers are actually guttered at the field of view oversight having spent much time, effort and money focusing and testing their level design*, cutscenes and in game flags under 16:9 @ 75 fov.

*The view you have at the very beggining of the game before you move at all looks good (some would argue even better with a corrected fov).
    Unfortunately, actual hands on gameplay is largely undesireable.
    I believe I saw TechKris post somewhere that the FoV isn't going to change, however the way the image is being stretched will. It's confusing, but the way I understand it is this: for 16:10 resolutions on a 16:10 native monitor (like 1920x1200), currently, everything is stretched vertically beyond the borders of the screen. The widescreen fix we are awaiting will instead "properly" stretch the image horizontally. It will not however add anything TO the image. It will simply restore some visual data that was cropped out with the horizontal stretching.

Or something. I'm still confused, to be honest.

By the way, for those who are mentioning the helmet dissapearing on them, are you sure it was the patch? I mean, if I start a new game right now, I can see the edges of the helmet just fine. It just becomes less obvious once you progress into the game some.

On the PC, FOV 90 @ 1920x1080 looks fine, much better than 75.

Leave the default at 75, just give the ability to lock the FOV at whatever the user wants. As it is the FOV can be set to something else and it works fine but it keeps reverting back to 75.

Why is that so difficult?

With regard to BS1, I finished the game before the FOV patch for that was released. While that FOV patch was welcome my game experience was so poor that I never played through BS1 again.

There are so many obvious, almost game breaking bugs in BS2, that I won't be playing it again either. And I won't be recommending it to other gamers till the bugs are fixed or the price gets really low.

At this point I feel kind of cheated out of the purchase price. I do not like to pay to be a Beta tester. Most of the obvious bugs should never have been allowed in the release version.

2 weeks later and still no fix.

bah, just use the fov fix. it works just fine.

One more fix?

bump...
    sorta cross posting as this seems to be the appropriate thread:
    I guess it's still a vert issue? That the first person elements ( hands weapons ) dissapear extremly from view with multi monitor resolutions. Also water droplets are ginormous. It took me 2 years to save for 3 27 inch 3d monitors
    ( a month after purchase and now the new generation of brighter 3d vision is coming out! sigh )
    In that time I imagined Bioshock was going to be the ultimate experience. Between kludges in 3d and surround the sting is pretty harsh.
    Not quite as bad as the ass kicking punishment starcraft 2 dishes out to those wishing for an awesome immersive experience.

Seems as if the multi-monitor bioshock 2 posts on the net just end with discontent.
    Hacking the ini seems nice for tweaking a FOV workaround...

I was hoping somone may have a similar ini solution for the hands and weapon re-positioning/size in the viewport when the fov is edited?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567