Thread: Fix for Bioshock 2 crash

Fix for Bioshock 2 crash

I called 2k games today and they offered a fix for me that ended up working. It seems that it has something to do with windows live and auto save also the gentleman stated that windows 7 64 bit was an issue also which Im running. So here goes the fix First run the game in direct 9x then see if it crashes which more than likely it will. After that go into your documents from the stat menu. Once there find the file that says bioshock2. Rename it to Bioshock2old. From there go and start the game up and sign into windows live. Start a new game and go to the first play through and move your guy around. After that go and exit out of the game. Go back to Documents and you should have a new Bioshock2 folder. Go into Bioshock2old and copy the saved games. Go and paste that saved games into the new Bioshock2 folder. From there make sure the bin file has the read only check uncheck. Then go and start the game up and sign into windows live. Now you should be able to play the game without any crashes. I did all of this as hes said and been playing nonstop now without any problems. It seems to work fine now. However I would suggest saving your games regularly just in case so you wont lose ground. Just in case this might help you Im running my rig with an i7 3.3ghtz processor, 12gb of dim, Asus Rampage II, and a Nvidia GTX 295 card using Windows 7 64 bit. Hope this helps.

thank you, this fix works at least for me

my game was crashing when I used games for windows live, and because with this fix it works, and now i'm playing with no issues and with max settings. my rig is not as good as his.. but it still works for me.. i have vista premium with a nivida 9800 gt with 4 gigs of ram. but thanks bro..

what the???!!! what's the logic behind this?? lol

it works for me now as well. if someone can explain this please do, I've tried everything and then I stumbled on this thread.

thanks alot

Did you get an error or something, if people have to do what you say?

Well...shockingly this actually helped somewhat. I stopped the entire binary directory of single player from being read only, and played from the start of the game up till paupers drop, without a problem.

However I then went away to make a cup of tea and a sandwich, and it locked on the menu Still.. appears to be an improvement, and I thank you for this.

I can't solve the problem T__T

Well let's see:
    1 - Rename in the start menu/Game the launcher for the game in to Bioshock2old
    2 - Start a new game
    3 - In my documents appears a new folder called bioshock2old to copy my savegames??

It isn't... Appears the same Bioshock2 folder but empty, I copy there my savegames and when I click into single player and starts to login in windows live the game crashes...

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 2/10/2010, 16:07:18
    Machine name: SHINRA
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-MA790FX-DS5
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) X4 Quad-Core Processor GP-9600 (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 4094MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
    Page File: 4038MB used, 4148MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_054210DE&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 2404 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 613 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: Philips FTV
    Monitor Id: PHL0000
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (50.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9621 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.17.11.9621
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Last edited by zack__1987; 02-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Win7 likes to take control of all the content in "C:\Programs(x86)" which could somehow explain why this fix worked. But it doesn't explain corrupted save files.

Can you send me the phone number to call these people?

Well, I'll be a sunuvagun. This worked for me. (I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.)

Quote Originally Posted by vegettosonlab View Post
    Can you send me the phone number to call these people?
    The contact telephone number for technical support is in the back of your game manual.

What bin file? i did the savegame thing and copied, and just set the entire bioshock2 program files folder to nonreadonly and i still crach out loading paupers drop

Bin file?

Where can I find the bin file, I don't see it anywhere?

Red face Thanks- worked somehow

Well,

after following your steps- and starting it again afterwards- it crashed.
    I then started Games for Win separatly and then BS2- it worked !
    It works from then on - beeing started normally without GfW separatly.
    I copied the saves from my Mac Bootcamp (Where the games workes flawlessly as I described in my separate post) and started at the last save-

but now I'm addicted again, as I was in BS1......

Anyone any clue of where the *.bin file can be found that the op mentioned?

maybe this? "*:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\BioShock 2\SP\Builds\Binaries"
    Last edited by Rothgar49; 02-13-2010 at 04:39 AM.

The tech help nuber does not work, its a weird number anyways.
    (0870)1242222

wtf kind of number is that? i tried adding a 1 infront and it still would not work. Can someone plz post a number that works?

I am trying to follow the posters directions, but cant figure out how to run it in direct 9x? I'm not vary pc savy
    Last edited by PopNfresh2312; 02-13-2010 at 04:54 AM.

The tech help number is: 1-866-219-9839

The person I talked too was very friendly. It took me awile to get the problem fixed, but eventually we solved it. If you want me to post how I did it then let me no.

Quote Originally Posted by PopNfresh2312 View Post
    The tech help number is: 1-866-219-9839

The person I talked too was very friendly. It took me awile to get the problem fixed, but eventually we solved it. If you want me to post how I did it then let me no.
    please do! it would be very helpful thank you!

I've tried every fix under the sun, so if you have a new one, post it.

For me the game worked fine for 2 days with not a single issue but on the 3rd when I went to run it it locked up at the first splash screen and nothing on the computer had changed (it was over-night, nobody was on it.)

I just tried the OP's fix and it didn't work for me. Interestingly it runs when I use the -dx9 tag but as soon as gameplay begins under Dx9 I get horrid artifacting and I have to hard-reboot the system.

This is really aggravating. There appear to be a great many people who are simply unable to get the game to run considering the volume of posts and replies in forums all over the web.

I hope we get a big patch soon or I'm going to give up.

mine keeps freezing in the load screen to pauper's drop, no idea how to solve this, but didnt know about the -dx9 thanks, didnt solve the problem but the game is much faster now..lol

someone please help!

Thumbs up

Thanks @ db0873!
    I've experienced Bioshock 2 crashes so many times, but now it works.
    I suggest everyone who have a save games problem or any problems with windows live accounts to do this.
    And finally we are able to play this awesome game.
    Regards,GulftowN.

This worked beautifully for me thanks! Although the lack of logic behind it kind of makes my brain hurt....
    Last edited by lordofchaos; 02-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Hi, I have tried everything above but cannot find the .bin file anywhere. I have searched my whole hard drive using advanced search options and viewing hidden files and folders. Would help if someone here could tell me the EXACT name of the .bin file I am looking for please. I'm not new to pc's - I have custom built my last nine pc's from scratch but better / more detailed directions would save me and others from requesting such basic info again and again. many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by db0873 View Post
    I called 2k games today and they offered a fix for me that ended up working. It seems that it has something to do with windows live and auto save also the gentleman stated that windows 7 64 bit was an issue also which Im running. So here goes the fix First run the game in direct 9x then see if it crashes which more than likely it will. After that go into your documents from the stat menu. Once there find the file that says bioshock2. Rename it to Bioshock2old. From there go and start the game up and sign into windows live. Start a new game and go to the first play through and move your guy around. After that go and exit out of the game. Go back to Documents and you should have a new Bioshock2 folder. Go into Bioshock2old and copy the saved games. Go and paste that saved games into the new Bioshock2 folder. From there make sure the bin file has the read only check uncheck. Then go and start the game up and sign into windows live. Now you should be able to play the game without any crashes. I did all of this as hes said and been playing nonstop now without any problems. It seems to work fine now. However I would suggest saving your games regularly just in case so you wont lose ground. Just in case this might help you Im running my rig with an i7 3.3ghtz processor, 12gb of dim, Asus Rampage II, and a Nvidia GTX 295 card using Windows 7 64 bit. Hope this helps.
    Have read and re-read this fix ( thank you for taking the time to post ) but for the life of me I do not understand what bin file you are on about or where to find it. Have searched my entire hard drive but you haven't mentioned the name of this file. Must add I cannot find any .bin file anywhere in bioshock2 of any name whatsoever. Windows live has updated this game to version 1.5.0.019 and I am using win 7 ultimate 64bit with 8gb ddr3 1600 mhz, Radeon 5670 1gb ddr5 with 2 tb hard drive. I don't know if this has any bearing on said .bin file

I recently bought this game (for a second time) as I never got around to completing it previously. Just completed Bioshock and wanted to give this one another go but I cannot for the life of me getting working properly. I have installed it (from disc by the way, not steam), updated it to 1.05, tried different video card drivers, compatibility mode etc and nothing. It runs for a while but I am at the bit where I have just saved Tennenbaum from the Splicers and been introduced to Sinclair who's told me to take the train somewhere (Atlantic Express level I think). I get in the train and activate the switch then boom, crash to desktop with the message Bioshock 2 has stopped working. Here is what I am running: -

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T
    MSI 990FXZ-GD65 Mainboard
    12GB DDR3 Ram (OCZ & Kingston)
    Asus HD7950 DirectCU 2 Top V2
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    Latest drivers for everything

I have tried DirectX 9 & 10 modes, compatibility modes (XP, Vista etc.), I even tried the old audio fix for Bioshock 1 that caused it to repeatedly die but nothing works. Has anyone else found a fix for this? I'm pretty desperate now before I lose heart