Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: Religion in Civ 5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    Religion in Civ 5

    I have heard rumors that there won`t be any religion in civ 5. But if these rumors were false, some changes I would have made to religion is:

    One: A religion should be founded at a specific year. and in a random civilization. Chances could go up if you had the Spiritual trait or had priests or great prophets in your cities.

    Second: there should be ways to get religion out of a city like crucifixion or exiling people of that religion. Then if you do this too much a neighboring citys or civilizations religious fanatics can attack you.

    Third: If you have many religions in a city then riots may occur, because of religious confrontation.

    What do you think? Sry for my grammar.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    10
    I totaly agreed with that the religion should be founded in a random city. but i also think that as a leader you should be able to choose what the governen religion is suppost to be.

  3. #3
    I like the inclusion of religion. I would hope that the next one is random, and not founded based on techs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Religion became one of the best additions in Civ 4. And though I was hesitant at first, I've really grown to love it and would seriously miss it if it were ever removed.

    I think they need to expand on it even more. Such as:

    -As default, let you chose what religion to found
    -1 civ cannot found multiple religions, allowing for a greater distribution of religions over different civs around the globe.
    -More religion specific units
    -Religious wonders requiring a specific religion
    -Religious wonders WITH VIDEO (Seriously, why did the civ 4 religious wonders just have a boring ol' picture? :C )

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeesh14 View Post
    Religion became one of the best additions in Civ 4. And though I was hesitant at first, I've really grown to love it and would seriously miss it if it were ever removed.

    I think they need to expand on it even more. Such as:

    -As default, let you chose what religion to found
    -1 civ cannot found multiple religions, allowing for a greater distribution of religions over different civs around the globe.
    -More religion specific units
    -Religious wonders requiring a specific religion
    -Religious wonders WITH VIDEO (Seriously, why did the civ 4 religious wonders just have a boring ol' picture? :C )
    I like this. In Civ4 BTS I sometimes had to avoid certain techs so i could maintain unity. Choosing what religion I wanted to found would help.

  6. #6
    Religion was great in Civ4, I hope it's in Civ5.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kageyoshi View Post
    Second: there should be ways to get religion out of a city like crucifixion or exiling people of that religion. Then if you do this too much a neighboring citys or civilizations religious fanatics can attack you.
    What do you think? Sry for my grammar.
    That committing genocide thats a reason Some Leaders are not in the game

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    123
    I like the fact that religions occur at the same time as technological developments. It would make no sense for someone to found Judaism, Islam, or Christianity before monotheism is discovered.

    That being said, I would like diversification of the tech tree -- there should be a specific branch for philosophy on the one hand (researching civics etc) and one for theology on the other (Ceremonial Burial, Polytheism, Monotheism, etc).

    But, I think that on the tech tree for theology there should be specific religious sects that one can research, or specific religions cannot come into gameplay until the research has been done (ie Monotheism is discovered, several turns later -- if ever -- Christianity etc is "founded").

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kageyoshi View Post
    Second: there should be ways to get religion out of a city like crucifixion or exiling people of that religion. Then if you do this too much a neighboring citys or civilizations religious fanatics can attack you.
    Why would you? FWIW religions in Civ4 and Civ4 Warlords played by the concept of the more the merrier. The only problem with getting an additional religion in one of your cities was that the founding civilization would gain even more than you did from it. You OTOH would always get added Culture, and potentially added Research if you built every Monastery you could, plus that you would get extra Happiness points under Free Religion. This made me wonder why AI civilizations didn't build more Missionaries and spread every religion they could, even if they weren't the founder.

    IMHO the feature is great as it is in Civ4, but the problem is that the AI players don't seem to understand how to use it strategically, but rely solely on the founding civilization to spread it.

  10. #10
    i think u should be able to research religions but u could research actual religions (Hindu instead of polythism or Judaism instead of monothism). u could also have religion requirements like u have to research monothism in order to research islam,christianity judaism.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    religion

    religion has been a major contributor to wars throughout history. i think more religious wars should show up in the game. crusades, jihads and so on! make religion a more serious part of the game. make it so every country has a religion, even if they are separated off, and don't develop the techs needed. make a religion develop there, or in the area where such a grouping of countries is located.

  12. #12

    More Diverse Religion

    If you include more religious tension during diplomacy that would make for more realistic game play. Also could the programmers add in branches of religioins eg (Christianity: Protistant, Baptist)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    I've always wished that you could found your own religion and name it (e.g. "Jowperism"). I want the world to worship me...and if they choose not to, my armies will crush them! Muhaha!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    262
    As much as an atheist I am, religion was a great addition to civ 4. After all its an important part of history, and was a good addition to civs gameplay.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeesh14 View Post
    Religion became one of the best additions in Civ 4. And though I was hesitant at first, I've really grown to love it and would seriously miss it if it were ever removed.

    I think they need to expand on it even more. Such as:

    -As default, let you chose what religion to found
    -1 civ cannot found multiple religions, allowing for a greater distribution of religions over different civs around the globe.
    -More religion specific units
    -Religious wonders requiring a specific religion
    -Religious wonders WITH VIDEO (Seriously, why did the civ 4 religious wonders just have a boring ol' picture? :C )
    well first of all you can choose what religion to found at Civ IV, its a custom game option but seeing AI Isabella as a Buddhist doesnt make sense at all ...

    Also I think 1 civ can found multiple religions because if you look at history, you'll see that Hinduism and Buddhism found in India, and Judaism and Christianity found in Jerusalem, maybe best option is religions based on religious traditions like, there will be polytheist civs, monotheist civs, or naturalist civs etc. that give special bonus based on selected tradition.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6
    I believe religions should be included with everything civ 4 have and more it just makes the game more realistic and i like realistic. Seriously you have to admit religion left a huge mark of human history.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bletchley Park, 1940
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldoman View Post
    I believe religions should be included with everything civ 4 have and more it just makes the game more realistic and i like realistic. Seriously you have to admit religion left a huge mark of human history.
    That seems like a really bad bump. No one has commented in over five months!
    Last edited by EnigmaCode; 08-01-2010 at 06:12 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mcniece_racing View Post
    If you include more religious tension during diplomacy that would make for more realistic game play. Also could the programmers add in branches of religioins eg (Christianity: Protistant, Baptist)
    Yes that would be a great idea and they should also add more religions overall like Kemetism, Zorastrianism, and Naghualism, like the ones from the Civ 4 Mod Rise of Mankind.

  19. #19

    Non existent religions

    What if they made up religions that didnt exist so there wouldn't be any controversy? That'd sound weird but it'd be interesting to make up your own religion and choose its benefits yourself... then you could name it whatever you wanted, you could type in a real religion or use a random word that just came into your head maybe...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    9
    I like the idea of Religion in Civ4. I hope it will be adopted in Civ5 and be implemented with more depth.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glorious Republic of Melbourne
    Posts
    3,101
    People!

    Religion is not in Civ5. I know I read it somewhere on the official site, Kotaku or IGN, but religion is not in Civ5.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,029
    Haha, who the hell dug up this thread anyways?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Gamer View Post
    I like the idea of Religion in Civ4. I hope it will be adopted in Civ5 and be implemented with more depth.
    I have not complained about anything in Civ 5 to date, but i believe that the decision to not include religion in a major way was a massive error by Sid


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apolyton.com
    Posts
    118
    I like the way religion was handled in Civ4 and would like to see it implemented in much the same way. The one exception is I'd like to see the spread of religion more dependent up on how you have your government set up. Either way I'm sure religion will be in the first expansion pack; you just know the only reason they held it back was to make sure they had an important addition to sell you with the expansion pack.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Free State Bavaria
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Gate of Mordor View Post
    People!

    Religion is not in Civ5. I know I read it somewhere on the official site, Kotaku or IGN, but religion is not in Civ5.
    Oh dear, I wonder what the creationists will have to say about that.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    278
    I, and most mp players i have talked about, dont like relgions as it is in civ 4. It just doesnt fit into a balanced war game.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    9
    As far as I remember, there was a mode (civ4) called "Gods of the old" in which you could pick some random pagan religion. There were 4 kind of gods you could choose t worship, with different bonus for each one o f them. After conquering enemy city you could erase their religion and replace it with your own, by using a special inquisitor unit. Although it was just a mode, they should think to use it with real existing religions, and add an "inquisitor" unit to the old "missionary". Using of inquisitor should cause some civil unrest and would eventually lead to a rebellion - they should add "zealot" unit (similar as "fanatic" in old civ2) It would appear in the city you failed to convert. I also agree that religious aspect should have stronger effect on the whole game.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by saksingj View Post
    I, and most mp players i have talked about, dont like relgions as it is in civ 4. It just doesnt fit into a balanced war game.
    Civ is about civilizations as a whole, not just war. that's why it's called Civilization and not Generic War Sim #28494873.

    Human beings, as a species, are independent thinking units that all want different things. in order for a civilization to even exist, it must convince them to give up certin controls over their lives to a governing body. it's much easier to convince them to give up that control because god requires them to, vs. "hey lets all get along and work together to help each other survive." Henceforth religion is a corner stone of every Civilization that is, was, or ever shall be in existence.

    and it has a very strong presence in war - usually it's the cause of them, but it also serves as a moral booster to the armies. an army marching with belief that their cause is a righteous one, has often times carries a string of victories through the momentum of their beliefs.

    in the game mechanics it has alot of uses during MP games. spread your religion to cities of your enemy to cause increased war weariness, also to siphon funds from his empire to fund the war against them.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    I didn't like religion at all in Civ and would be happy to see it go by the wayside.

  30. #30
    i like having religion in civ but how it was done in 4 was too powerful. i would just head start my self and pick a tech and found a religion. if you were stuck without, it sucked, and that was my way around it.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glorious Republic of Melbourne
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by WildmouseX View Post
    and it has a very strong presence in war - usually it's the cause of them, but it also serves as a moral booster to the armies. an army marching with belief that their cause is a righteous one, has often times carries a string of victories through the momentum of their beliefs.
    I must disagree. The only war I can think of that was caused by religion is the Crusades. Most wars are because empires and kingdoms like land (ahem... British...).
    The Romans - Land
    Napoleonic France - Land
    WWII - Land, Control and the Germans needed a morale boost
    WWI - An Austria prince was killed by a rouge Serbian
    Sino-Japanese War (just before WWII) - The Japs had long been attacked by both Korea and China. It was their way of revenge (and they wanted land)

    As you can see, the reasoning for most wars is human greed. Humans like controlling others, and being rich.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bletchley Park, 1940
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Gate of Mordor View Post
    I must disagree. The only war I can think of that was caused by religion is the Crusades. Most wars are because empires and kingdoms like land (ahem... British...).
    The Romans - Land
    Napoleonic France - Land
    WWII - Land, Control and the Germans needed a morale boost
    WWI - An Austria prince was killed by a rouge Serbian
    Sino-Japanese War (just before WWII) - The Japs had long been attacked by both Korea and China. It was their way of revenge (and they wanted land)

    As you can see, the reasoning for most wars is human greed. Humans like controlling others, and being rich.
    As you point out, the reason for most war is human greed. However, religion is sometimes used as an excuse for war/motivating factor to go to war. Here's a list of wars caused by religion/began because of religion:

    Muslim Jihads in North Africa
    Inquisition (not really a war)
    The Crusades (1095-1291)
    Thirty Years War (1618-1648)
    Spanish conquest of the Inca was somewhat religiously motivated
    Arab-Israeli conflicts
    Hamas vs. Israel
    Al Quaedi vs. the West
    Religious Strife between Kurds and Shiites

    So some wars began because of religion/were shaped by religion; however, at the end of the day, all war is caused by human greed/intolerence and not religion. Religion may contribute to starting a war, but there's always another reason why war starts (Crusades began to recapture Jerusalem for example).

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaCode View Post
    Inquisition (not really a war)
    No one expects the spanish inquisition!!!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Schwarzeneggerberg, Socal
    Posts
    2,269
    Wars have been fought every year of known human history, and very probably every month, week and day. There is always war brewing in at least some part of the world.

    There seems to be some kind of underlying reason why humans war incessantly, but I don't think it is easy to pinpoint. Certainly there are a few different legitimate causes for wars: disputes over religion, disputes over policy, disputes over succession, desire to become strong, desire to stop potential adversaries from becoming strong, unity after a prolonged civil war phase, nationalism, border disputes, etc.

    The number of conflicts actually at least in some way related to religion are staggering. France, Germany, England and Spain certainly had conflicts largely tied to religion. The Islamic and Christian worlds as a whole often clashed over different theological viewpoints. Some of these conflicts were directly referred to as wars and some were violent struggles on a slightly lesser scale. Still, such conflicts are a testament to the role of ideology in inciting warfare. To be frank, I actually cannot think of too many pre-modern civilizations that did not have at least one war tied in some way to religion. I could post a plethora of examples (which I will do if pressed) demonstrating this, but I think it would be more interesting to pick out pre-modern civilizations that were never at one point or another motivated by religion to engage in battle.

    Take religion out of the picture, though, and war is still as prominent as ever. It is the most consistent trend in human history.
    Last edited by SlickSlicer; 08-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bletchley Park, 1940
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickSlicer View Post
    Wars have been fought every year of known human history, and very probably every month, week and day. There is always war brewing in at least some part of the world.
    Actually, I believe I once read an article saying that throughout the entirety of human history, there have been 150 years of complete peace. I can't remember where that article was from (probably National Geographic though). However, I know you're mistaken when you say that humanity has had a war in every day it has ever existed.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaCode View Post
    Actually, I believe I once read an article saying that throughout the entirety of human history, there have been 150 years of complete peace. I can't remember where that article was from (probably National Geographic though). However, I know you're mistaken when you say that humanity has had a war in every day it has ever existed.
    150 Years in over 4000 Years of History 3,75% of all time there was peace or 96,25% of all History there was a War.. so that pretty much sounds like "every day"

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bletchley Park, 1940
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyPaladin View Post
    150 Years in over 4000 Years of History 3,75% of all time there was peace or 96,25% of all History there was a War.. so that pretty much sounds like "every day"
    Well, that was 150 years of peace in 10,000 years of human history.

    But I was trying to say that there wasn't a war every day of civilization. But I agree with you - it sounds like "every day" to me too.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    9
    But I was trying to say that there wasn't a war every day of civilization. But I agree with you - it sounds like "every day" to me too.
    War is a typical human invention (the opening scene from '2001: Space Odyssey' - awesome ), but religious wars are most disgusting abuse of idea in whole mankind history. By the way, I read some book about wars in history (can't remember who wrote it)and author mentioned about how it evolves - from man-to-man fight by single warriors (stone age cultures), fighting for land (ancient Greece), building an empire (Rome, Persia), to our times (battle for resources and for ideology). Religion, from the down of mankind, was used as the mayor excuse in some case where warlike leaders lack a proper 'casus belli'. You cried 'infidels!' and everything was clear
    Last edited by Artur980; 08-03-2010 at 01:46 AM.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Gate of Mordor View Post
    I must disagree. The only war I can think of that was caused by religion is the Crusades. Most wars are because empires and kingdoms like land (ahem... British...).
    The Romans - Land
    Napoleonic France - Land
    WWII - Land, Control and the Germans needed a morale boost
    WWI - An Austria prince was killed by a rouge Serbian
    Sino-Japanese War (just before WWII) - The Japs had long been attacked by both Korea and China. It was their way of revenge (and they wanted land)

    As you can see, the reasoning for most wars is human greed. Humans like controlling others, and being rich.
    for every crusade, there is a corresponding Jihad. the spanish inquisition, technically not a war but close enough. the jews conquest of isreal after they left egypt was justified by god wanting them to have the land. most egyption wars for that matter, while on the surface were land grabs, in moral terms were led by leaders that were followed as gods.

    it's a close call, but it's still a significant factor to the history of our species.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickSlicer View Post

    Take religion out of the picture, though, and war is still as prominent as ever. It is the most consistent trend in human history.
    cept for maybe prostitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •