Thread: AI live up with the hype?

AI live up with the hype?

The previous game made by Irrational Swat4 has great AI. Infact, it's one of the best at that time.
    I love how those suspects reacted so smart in singleplayer.

But I watched big daddy hunt trailer of Bioshock and was disappointed.
    The big daddy acted so lame and linear, all he does is stand there and shoot. The AI dosen't seem to be any better than Swat4.

Any thought?

I actually think the AI in Bioshock is going to redefine what AI's are capable of in games.The BD's may not be the best example as they have a simple remit-protect the LS at all costs.
    The semi-human splicers on the other hand,will definitley surprise you with group tactics and other crafty tricks.Also the AI isnt at all scripted so you'll never know how individual enemies are going to react.
    Last edited by splicer; 05-15-2007 at 06:53 PM.

For me I issue the standards of AI in games up to FEAR. I know this is a different type of game sort of but still those things were smart. So far in vids I havent seen anything special. Just stand in front of you and does a attack jump back or stand there and repeat. So you can munipulate the AI.....doesn't do too much when your not really needing to try different things. I know plenty of games that give you choices on how to kill something but its just as or more easy and more convienient to just use conventional means. Bioshock better not be like that. I want to be forced to think and not just by lack of resources but by the way the battle is going.

I don't know. I like the way the splicers jumped around and come at you in different ways. The Big Daddy doesn't seem to be a good example for what the AI will be like since their sole purpose is to protect the Little Sisters. They don't need to be fancy or smart, just relentless.

Good point, and having differing levels of IQ for the NPCs makes the game more interesting.

I agree!

FarCry has got to be some of the most impressive AI I've encountered in recent years. The way the commandos used group-tactics against you to outflank you was amazing. Especially cool is if you take out the "leader" of any group (the guy barking the orders) then the others loose their ability to work as a team.

I also liked the randomness of their attacks - some would charge at you screaming and others would sneak up slowly. Differing attacks makes for interesting gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by One0Shot View Post
    For me I issue the standards of AI in games up to FEAR.
    For me I issue the standards of AI in game depending on wether or not they can follow you up a lader or not! Thief Deadly Shadows comes to mind. What a let down (in many many ways).

Games where NPCs can climb ladders are few and far between. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

thats a good point.
    do you know how hard it would be to program that in? i dont. but im assuming it would be hard.
    why program a ladder climbing script in when you can just have an enemy spawn at the top of the ladder or in the case of bioshock, jump into the roof and crawl along that

unscripted AI. has that been done before?

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

That's all I can think of right now. It's always frustrated me, but I was joking that I base my judgement of the AI on this alone

FEAR's AI was hyped. It's all nothing but heavily scripted, Once you find their patterns the game is easy to pass on.

FarCry and Swat4 has the best AI I've encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by sajuuk View Post
    FEAR's AI was hyped. It's all nothing but heavily scripted, Once you find their patterns the game is easy to pass on.

Hyped for a very good reason and if it was scripted then they would follow the same path everytime and never adapt which they do.

Fear's AI demistified on Gamespy.

Quote Originally Posted by v.dog View Post
    Games where NPCs can climb ladders are few and far between. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Resident Evil 4

I think due to their size, weight and power, they are kind of meant to be slow. you look at the splicers, there are jumping everywhere, hanging on the cieling, etc.

@Splicer & intercision: I haven't played either of those.

Quote Originally Posted by v.dog View Post
    @Splicer & intercision: I haven't played either of those.

Treat yourself!-RE4 is simply one of the finest games ever made.Period.
    @Oneshot,
    I agree the AI in fear is way overated,some standard flanking procedures and because they are constantly chattering amongst themselves,you always knew what they were planning next.

17. Quote Originally Posted by sajuuk View Post
    Then you'll be happy to know that the AI programmer from SWAT 4, John Abercrombie, is our AI Lead on BioShock.

Alexx Kay, Designer, Irrational Games

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Treat yourself!-RE4 is simply one of the finest games ever made.Period.
    @Oneshot,
    I agree the AI in fear is way overated,some standard flanking procedures and because they are constantly chattering amongst themselves,you always knew what they were planning next.
    Fear had some damn good AI IMO, just the level design sucked. I loved how they would knock stuff over in order to create cover etc. Even though Resi 4 sucked hard (IMO, I'm an old-school RE fan) it did have it's only moment in the village.

Also, I have always enjoyed Halo's AI. Plus, Kudos to the response above me on SWAT 4, sounds great and that guy sure is talented.

With John Abercrombie Heading the AI team for BioShock i think i can be pretty confident Irational's AI will be nothing short of phenominal *cue Butt Kissing Noises*

But seriously, if the AI is anything like SWAT4's not much will keep me away from playing BioShock over and over again

As a side note, from the videos ive seen, the animation also looks very fluent, especially the wall crawlers animations. +5 Kudos

I might be simplifying it but the AI on Bioshock seems to be a modified RST AI I wonder if they have done anything beyond the basics.

Fears AI is ok but not great same for HL2,Farcrys is nice but imperfect as well...still within these AI overall advances in some area,you'd think the psi troops in fear would not talk so much....MGS has some nice AI at least smart enough to stick a grenade in a air vent...fear did that to I think *L*

Not played RE4 yet....I still have MGS twin snakes to finish on the GC....stupid music wapeing made it stop playing it...*sigh* MGS 1 had wonderful music...why oh why the wapeage ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by sajuuk View Post
    AI live up with the hype?
    Of course not. People will always find a reason to complain about it, as with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartekk View Post
    Of course not. People will always find a reason to complain about it, as with everything.
    if the AI is not to dim and doesn't get stuck on things its already ehads above some current AI schemes.

if they can balance the AI seeing beyond walls and linking any sound to the player that would be so nice.....