Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50

Thread: Will we see mailmen?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    247

    Post Will we see mailmen?

    I think it would be great to have mailmen in the game

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil102 View Post
    I think it would be great to have mailmen in the game
    No offence but who cares? I mean seriously I care less a mailman...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,048
    Mailmen are part of city life.
    And what about delivery men ? It could be nice if we could see delivery trucks on job, delivering stuff...
    Policemen giving fines, different workers doing their job, like repairing stuff, doing maintainence, public gardens...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,917
    How about Milkmen? Really, even though it adds to realism, It's just a little sad this is what we have to talk about.

    Anyway, I have noticed police giving fines to other people. I also noticed a bus that broke down, and a guy fixing his car. This city will truly be alive.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by packardcaribien View Post
    This city will truly be alive.
    I am doubting about how alive the city will be, animations of pedestrians don't emerge well into the next ones. For instance when someone is walking and is going to sit on a bench he will first stand still straight (basic stance) before going into the animation of sitting down, it dissapointed me a bit.

    And about the mailman, i dont really care particulary about a mailman but do want at least some of those details like a mailman or people cleaning the street, garbage men etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,917
    Well some things are relatively unaviodable, but how many games have other cars getting pulled over, and other people crashing, ect. Makes me wonder that if you follow someone driving or walking, will they actually go to work/home ect.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstyle View Post
    I am doubting about how alive the city will be, animations of pedestrians don't emerge well into the next ones. For instance when someone is walking and is going to sit on a bench he will first stand still straight (basic stance) before going into the animation of sitting down, it dissapointed me a bit.

    And about the mailman, i dont really care particulary about a mailman but do want at least some of those details like a mailman or people cleaning the street, garbage men etc.
    What? What are you basing this on, a 8 month old video? Hell, back then everything was still alpha footage, I'm sure things have been WAY improved since then.

    I should mention, also, that has nothing to do with how ALIVE a city will be. That is mechanics of the NPC. To me the city is VERY alive. You can see police chases, police writing tickets for illegally parked cars, children playing in the streets, NPC's having conversations with each other, shoe shiners shining shoes, paper boys shouting the latest headlines, car accidents with pedestrians and seeing the police taking care of the situations, buses breaking down with the driver having to step out and take a look.

    Son, if you don't call that ALIVE, then something is wrong with you.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by packardcaribien View Post
    Well some things are relatively unaviodable, but how many games have other cars getting pulled over, and other people crashing, ect. Makes me wonder that if you follow someone driving or walking, will they actually go to work/home ect.
    It was confirmed they will have scripted paths. So you can follow each pedestrian and you can see them live out there daily routine. So some might be going to the office, some might be taking the local trollie to the shopping center, I think I read an preview and they said the devs goal was to create a living, breathing city, like none other.

    Also you can see that new light system they have. So houses will light up with a NPC is home, and light will always be randomized on buildings, instead of a being that constant static light path..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In Your Web Cam
    Posts
    265
    yer there are some screen shots out there showing mafia 2 while being developed and it shows some ncp's scripted paths.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    As much as I would love to have EVERY single NPC have a scripted path, I think that's a little over the top in terms of technological ability.

    I agree with you guys that some NPC's will have scripted paths, but I think its impossible that every single one of them will have their own unique routine. I can see 2K putting a couple in the game that have a routine that we would see often, but I think that the majority of NPC's in the game will have random routes. It just seems like there would be too much memory output to have thousands of NPC's have a routine.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    What? What are you basing this on, a 8 month old video?
    Yeah I'm basing it on a 8 month old video, but as far as mechanics concerned the game was finished almost a year ago, I heard on a youtube interview. 'They where just perfecting the lighting and reflections.' I do find it taking from the atmosphere and living(ness?) when actions don't emerge fluidly.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstyle View Post
    Yeah I'm basing it on a 8 month old video, but as far as mechanics concerned the game was finished almost a year ago, I heard on a youtube interview. 'They where just perfecting the lighting and reflections.' I do find it taking from the atmosphere and living(ness?) when actions don't emerge fluidly.
    lol finished a year ago? It doesn't take a year to add those effects....lol

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    247

    Talking Mafia II

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    No offence but who cares? I mean seriously I care less a mailman...
    Obviously I do because I started a thread about it....You do to because if you don't care why you came to the thread anyway??

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil102 View Post
    Obviously I do because I started a thread about it....You do to because if you don't care why you came to the thread anyway??

    To make fun of you, and express my dislike of this thread.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    To make fun of you, and express my dislike of this thread.
    This thread gives me an idea for another thread, but I don't see the point of making one since we already started talking about it here.

    What do you guys think of having the NPC's with a daily routine. A game where there's more depth besides just having scripted events? If they can make it work, it would be neat to see people being able to go from their home to their job and back. The only thing I might like about that is seeing people go into buildings that we can't go into. Kind of like Mafia 1 where we just saw people walking in and out of buildings that didn't have an interior (Ordinary Routine especially).

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    This thread gives me an idea for another thread, but I don't see the point of making one since we already started talking about it here.

    What do you guys think of having the NPC's with a daily routine. A game where there's more depth besides just having scripted events? If they can make it work, it would be neat to see people being able to go from their home to their job and back. The only thing I might like about that is seeing people go into buildings that we can't go into. Kind of like Mafia 1 where we just saw people walking in and out of buildings that didn't have an interior (Ordinary Routine especially).
    what was the idea?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    what was the idea?
    To have a thread to talk about NPC actions instead of talking about whether a mailman will be in it or not.

    We haven't really talked about what we want to see out of individual NPC's too much on this forum.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    To have a thread to talk about NPC actions instead of talking about whether a mailman will be in it or not.

    We haven't really talked about what we want to see out of individual NPC's too much on this forum.
    Well I would like them to act as much as life like as possible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    lol finished a year ago? It doesn't take a year to add those effects....lol
    No it sure doesn't, but they haven't released it yet becouse they are looking for a good date to have the least competition. I think they are done now for a few month's , maybe fixing the last few bugs which is another thing they probably spend most time on. Although I really hope it i don't think the fluid emerging of animations is fixed now.

    BTW I'm continueing this discussion becouse i see no point in creating a new thread for it and discussing weather we would want a mailman in mafia 2 or not.
    Last edited by tomstyle; 02-26-2010 at 05:49 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstyle View Post
    No it sure doesn't, but they haven't released it yet becouse they are looking for a good date to have the least competition. I think they are done now for a few month's , maybe fixing the last few bugs which is another thing they probably spend most time on. Although I really hope it i don't think the fluid emerging of animations is fixed now.

    BTW I'm continueing this discussion becouse i see no point in creating a new thread for it and discussing weather we would want a mailman in mafia 2 or not.
    That's why you think it hasn't been released? Lol...seriously your a funny man. This game isn't coming out in a few months, to be honesty I would be happy if they released it in Fall.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstyle View Post
    BTW I'm continueing this discussion becouse i see no point in creating a new thread for it and discussing weather we would want a mailman in mafia 2 or not.
    Agreed, lol. But I do think that there will be alot of changes to what we've seen in past gameplay videos. They have a full studio branch of professional developers and creative specialists working (what I'd assume would be around the clock) in order to create an impressive and spectacular game that will bring the Mafia franchise to the public's eye.

    2K focuses on making they're games terrific because they have to. That's what gets them money. EA gets their games from sheer manpower and shares I'd assume. That's why alot of their games aren't that terrific, they can afford to have a few flops.

    Back to the original point, when you have probably 20 or more professionals working on making a game great, I'm going to assume that the game is going to be great.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    paper boys shouting the latest headlines,
    I thought that too but it was a full grown man we still don't know if the game will have kids

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    Agreed, lol. But I do think that there will be alot of changes to what we've seen in past gameplay videos. They have a full studio branch of professional developers and creative specialists working (what I'd assume would be around the clock) in order to create an impressive and spectacular game that will bring the Mafia franchise to the public's eye.

    2K focuses on making they're games terrific because they have to. That's what gets them money. EA gets their games from sheer manpower and shares I'd assume. That's why alot of their games aren't that terrific, they can afford to have a few flops.

    Back to the original point, when you have probably 20 or more professionals working on making a game great, I'm going to assume that the game is going to be great.
    Yes it's foolish thinking, to think that there done with the game and just waiting for the perfect release date, because they would be losing so much money that way.

    Also if you saw the GDS gameplay footage with the subtitles they said what we are currently seeing is "being run on a xbox dev kit, and that it still a work in progress."

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Vito View Post
    I thought that too but it was a full grown man we still don't know if the game will have kids
    It was confirmed by Denby in a video interview. Saying that you will see kids throwing snows ball, etc...

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    It was confirmed by Denby in a video interview. Saying that you will see kids throwing snows ball, etc...
    In cutscenes maybe just look at the thread we made for "Children in Mafia II" it list the reasons why there most likely won't be kids in the game

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Vito View Post
    In cutscenes maybe just look at the thread we made for "Children in Mafia II" it list the reasons why there most likely won't be kids in the game

    No he said "as you drive you will be able to see playing baseball on the streets, in the winter tossing snowballs."

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    No he said "as you drive you will be able to see playing baseball on the streets, in the winter tossing snowballs."
    I have to be honest I'm still a little skeptical about this

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Vito View Post
    I have to be honest I'm still a little skeptical about this
    okay go look for it yourself! It was during July...

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Vito View Post
    I have to be honest I'm still a little skeptical about this
    I agree. Societal values are pretty starkly against harming children, and I agree with society. I don't really want to imagine kids getting gunned down in reality let alone giving people the "pleasure" of doing it in a video game.

    I mean, that's not to say that I won't buy the game if there are kids in it, and I think that the game will add alot of realism if kids are playing the streets, I just hope that there's no condoned violence against children.

    I guess that Bully and the Bioshock series kind of opened the flood gates for violent video games being able to add children to the list of NPC's, then again, I've never harvested a Little Sister in Bioshock 1 or 2.

    If there are children in Mafia 2, then I'll do whatever I can to not try to harm them, I'm just sure that alot of people out there will just consider them collateral and not really care about who they harm. The only way I can see them counteracting this is if the police force comes out in full brunt power if a child is harmed. After all, Mafiosi are not known for hurting little kids.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    I agree. Societal values are pretty starkly against harming children, and I agree with society. I don't really want to imagine kids getting gunned down in reality let alone giving people the "pleasure" of doing it in a video game.

    I mean, that's not to say that I won't buy the game if there are kids in it, and I think that the game will add alot of realism if kids are playing the streets, I just hope that there's no condoned violence against children.

    I guess that Bully and the Bioshock series kind of opened the flood gates for violent video games being able to add children to the list of NPC's, then again, I've never harvested a Little Sister in Bioshock 1 or 2.

    If there are children in Mafia 2, then I'll do whatever I can to not try to harm them, I'm just sure that alot of people out there will just consider them collateral and not really care about who they harm. The only way I can see them counteracting this is if the police force comes out in full brunt power if a child is harmed. After all, Mafiosi are not known for hurting little kids.
    Here's the video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-mafia-ii/54957

    at 1:15...

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    I believed you, I just don't want players to be able to feel free to murder innocent kids. For one, its a potential blow against the gaming industry if a large enough group forms that is against having kids in the game and that's negative publicity.

    Also, it would annoy me to find out that there's not a harsh police response for harming kids. That's basically what the police are in the game for, to check the player and make sure that they're acting like a classy mobster. Classy mobsters don't hurt kids.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    I believed you, I just don't want players to be able to feel free to murder innocent kids. For one, its a potential blow against the gaming industry if a large enough group forms that is against having kids in the game and that's negative publicity.

    Also, it would annoy me to find out that there's not a harsh police response for harming kids. That's basically what the police are in the game for, to check the player and make sure that they're acting like a classy mobster. Classy mobsters don't hurt kids.
    They will proabley make it like Fallout 3 where they are undestructable.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    247

    Wink Mafia II

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon light View Post
    To make fun of you, and express my dislike of this thread.
    How is that making fun of me for saying this thread is useless.....Just drop this conversation im tired of everyone fighting/....

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    247

    Post Mafia II

    SCRIPTED EVENTS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN OFTER OR......Im asking

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil102 View Post
    SCRIPTED EVENTS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN OFTER OR......Im asking
    Denby mentioned that there would only be about a dozen scripted events. However, that was several months ago and they could have added more. If there are only going to be a dozen then that means that we're not going to see one scripted event each mission day since there are apparently 18 missions in the game.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    749
    i hope that's wrong and there's waaaaay more then 18

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Empire Bay
    Posts
    247

    Post Mafia II

    Quote Originally Posted by Xardas View Post
    Denby mentioned that there would only be about a dozen scripted events. However, that was several months ago and they could have added more. If there are only going to be a dozen then that means that we're not going to see one scripted event each mission day since there are apparently 18 missions in the game.
    ONLY 18 MISSIONS out the whole game wtf

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmooth16 View Post
    i hope that's wrong and there's waaaaay more then 18
    Well, there is still the speculation that there will be 18 missions for each of the three families that you can join. So there's two ways that this could play out in the game as well:

    1. A chosen few of the missions will be family exclusive missions meaning that certain missions will pertain to either the Clemente, Falcone, or Vinci family and then the rest will have to do with missions that are available to all three families. Personally, this seems like the most reasonable way to do the game and I think this is the route that will be taken if you actually can choose a family to join.

    2. Every single mission for each family will be exclusive to that family making for a HUGE replayability value. If that's the case, then I'm assuming that the first 2 or 3 missions will have to do with Vito's getting himself noticed by the families and then the last 15 missions will have to do with each family. So there will be 15 Clemente missions, 15 Falcone missions, and 15 Vinci missions which would make approximately 47-50 different missions. Personally, I think this is highly unlikely since that is a huge number of different missions and I've NEVER seen a game that is that non-linear. Even games that pride themselves in being very non-linear don't have that type of non-linearity (if you've played Oblivion or a similar game, you'll know what I mean - i.e. you can choose whichever missions you want to play, but the missions themselves don't really change and you'll be playing through the same missions everytime).

    So yeah, I believe that the first option (if you can choose a family anyway) would be the most viable. I can't see missions being completely unique to each family. There's most likely going to be some overlapping between paths.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    251
    Wow, Xardas! From where did you get that info?! It's very interesting, I'd love to replay the game dozens of times each time with a different family, but I hope that those missions are pretty long, or you'll be able to finish the storyline in less than 5 hours.

    Or then well, a lot of side-missions.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan29.Zapata View Post
    Wow, Xardas! From where did you get that info?! It's very interesting, I'd love to replay the game dozens of times each time with a different family, but I hope that those missions are pretty long, or you'll be able to finish the storyline in less than 5 hours.

    Or then well, a lot of side-missions.
    None of what I said is official (except that we get to choose which family to join apparently ). The rest of my post was just speculation as to how I think they could integrate the families into the game.

    It would be cool if each path had only missions that were exclusive to each family, but that seems a little over the top. I reckon that we'll start with 2-3 missions before we can join a family, and then get into some missions that are exclusive to the family we choose along with some major missions that will be in all family tracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •