Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock 2: 3 MILLION Copies sold!

Bioshock 2: 3 MILLION Copies sold!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tak...dist=afterbell

2k has sold 3 million copies of Bioshock 2 to retailers worldwide. That is insanity for the first month. 2k stocks are up, climbing 5%, with better than expected earnings. Those are some great numbers. Bioshock 3 seems to be a sure thing at this point!

Cue the celebration!

-Edit Here is another link on the subject that also mentions sales of the first Bioshock are now over FOUR MILLION as well. Woo hoo!
    http://www.gamedaily.com/games/biosh...million-units/
    Last edited by Kyburz; 03-03-2010 at 05:59 AM.

BS3 was announced back in June. =)

May I be among the first to congrats 2K for this amazing achievement

Well, actually they've shipped that many copies, which doesn't equal sold. It's still a noteworthy event though.

They shipped that many but they more than likely won't sell that many. Word of mouth is an impressive thing. It can either save or kill a game. I've heard a lot of negatives about BS2 even before playing it.

Congratulatations 2K! That's fantastic news.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpius View Post
    Well, actually they've shipped that many copies, which doesn't equal sold. It's still a noteworthy event though.
    That was why I specified sold to retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyburz View Post
    That was why I specified sold to retailers.
    Ah, yes you did. I stand corrected.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tak...dist=afterbell

2k has sold 3 million copies of Bioshock 2 to retailers worldwide. That is insanity for the first month. 2k stocks are up, climbing 5%, with better than expected earnings. Those are some great numbers. Bioshock 3 seems to be a sure thing at this point!

Cue the celebration!

-Edit Here is another link on the subject that also mentions sales of the first Bioshock are now over FOUR MILLION as well. Woo hoo!
    http://www.gamedaily.com/games/biosh...million-units/
    That's great news. Plenty in the cash cow for Bioshock 3!

Wow, doesn't really surprise me =D Keep going 2K =D

That's great news!

I'm kinda hoping they don't make a Bioshock 3 though.

I'm confused...what does it mean by retailers?? how many people who bought the game,or how many stores bought the game??

Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    I'm confused...what does it mean by retailers?? how many people who bought the game,or how many stores bought the game??
    How it works is 2k sells the game to retailers and then they sell the game to consumers. To 2k though, the important part is the sale to retailers because that is where they get paid. If a game doesn't sell as well as it ships, then the retailer will possibly buy less copies of future games from the publisher.

I believe you are mistaken on the stock value. TTWO (parent comapnay for 2k) stock values are falling and have been on a daily basis.

Considering they forecast 5 million sales that is a far way off from their estimations. That is still $120million short of the projected figures.

I do not know the average product life cycle of a game but I can't imagine they will continue to see such rises in sales a month after it's release.

My boss would not be happy with me if I came in 40% below target

however, I am still sure they have made a tidy net profit from these current figures.
    Last edited by wilko; 03-03-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Excellent job, 2K! Everyone keep in mine, those numbers are still rising. It's great to know that there are so many people out there who own and play BioShock 1 and / or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by VampOfVegas View Post
    I haven't seen this do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix View Post
    They shipped that many but they more than likely won't sell that many. Word of mouth is an impressive thing. It can either save or kill a game. I've heard a lot of negatives about BS2 even before playing it.
    Yeah, maybe. But an aggregate score on Meta Critic in the high 80's is more than enough word of mouth for most. It's already sold in the mid two million range, as per VGchartz, which don't include PC or STEAM sales (which are going to be low anyway, justified with all the issues).

I think it'll hit 3 million at some point. But I really couldn't care less. I dig the game, they've announced to investors plans to make a 3rd game and these sales won't make them change their mind. They're making money, they'll continue to develop as long as there's money there - for good or ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhelmet907 View Post
    I haven't seen this do you have a link?
    Nothing is actually announced beyond plans for a 3rd game, as per a conference call to investors from Strauss (I think it his name), the chairman at 2k.

Wow. Amazing. And yet still no patch for consoles to fix various bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by KrashKitty View Post
    I believe you are mistaken on the stock value. TTWO (parent comapnay for 2k) stock values are falling and have been on a daily basis.
    Actually, here is a direct quote from the cited article. "The game has shipped more than 3 million units since its launch in early February. Shares of Take-Two were up nearly 5% in after-hours trading following the report."

And in regards to the five million estimate, that was for lifetime sales. Considering Bioshock's first month sales were a little over one million and it has gone on to sell four million, five million lifetime isn't out of the question.

And still, the five million figure was just an off the cuff estimate from a single interview. Their official projection to investors was 3 million.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/key-...es-projections

YAY!! sadly i still have not received one of the three million.....

Quote Originally Posted by sshhh View Post
    Wow. Amazing. And yet still no patch for consoles to fix various bugs.
    what kinda bugs? i mean, besides multiplayer.

What? Bioshock 2? Only three million? What's wrong with the people?

Actually, here is a direct quote from the cited article. "The game has shipped more than 3 million units since its launch in early February. Shares of Take-Two were up nearly 5% in after-hours trading following the report."

And in regards to the five million estimate, that was for lifetime sales. Considering Bioshock's first month sales were a little over one million and it has gone on to sell four million, five million lifetime isn't out of the question.

And still, the five million figure was just an off the cuff estimate from a single interview. Their official projection to investors was 3 million.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/key-...es-projections
    I've been watching their stock market value daily on the ticker. My observation doesn't come from an article someone wrote, but the actual stock market. If you'd like to see for yourself, just Goggle TTWO and check out the stock ticker yourself.

Good news!

Also, sales aren't done yet. They could still hit 5 million.

call of duty needs to fly away into the sun

Good going 2k, now hurry up and spend some of that cash on making us BS3!

Congrats 2k

I'm not too surprised. I knew this would happen.

Cause I'm a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by KrashKitty View Post
    I've been watching their stock market value daily on the ticker. My observation doesn't come from an article someone wrote, but the actual stock market. If you'd like to see for yourself, just Goggle TTWO and check out the stock ticker yourself.
    Are you including the after hours numbers?

9.54‎ +0.51‎ (5.65%‎) After Hours

As disappointed as I am with the game, I'm glad to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by VampOfVegas View Post
    Oh my.....
    *______* I can't wait for it than!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yay 2k, congratulations. I love the bioshock series and this is such awesome news.
    high five anyone

Great

Just need pad support in the pc version so that i can play the damn thing now

Yes!! People are starting to get bored of MW2, Bioshock 2 will rule the world soon, just you wait!

Quote Originally Posted by KevTech View Post
    Are you including the after hours numbers?

9.54‎ +0.51‎ (5.65%‎) After Hours
    Well, if you paid any attention to the articles that are on the financial pages instead of just trolling, you would've seen that the report was for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year and doesn't have anything to do with Bio2. The report says that they didn't lose as much money the first quarter as they did for the same time last year. This year they only lost 33.9 million in the 1st qtr. It also says that as a cost cutting measure that they are going to cut 15% of their workforce. They are projecting less share value loss in the 2nd qtr and are hoping that Bio2 will help them do that. You might also notice that they waited until after the market closed to make any announcement. That is a ploy by a desperate company that barely survived a buyout attempt by EA. They are bleeding money, investors are upset and they'll be lucky to stay in business. Their stock value's have been going up and down all morning. I personally hope that they make it. I like the Bioshock series. I'm disappointed that they didn't include gamepad support in Bio2 and believe that will not help game sales. We'll just have to wait and see what the 2nd qtr report says.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkShotSpur View Post
    Great

Just need pad support in the pc version so that i can play the damn thing now
    How do you not own a mouse and keyboard?

^^ Oh, someone asked a question, Surely they're a troll!! No normal board member would ever dare to question anything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast