Thread: Application configuration is incorrect.

Application configuration is incorrect.

Computer:
    Cpu: Athlon XP 3800+
    Video Card: BFG 7600GT 256MB
    Ram: 2.5GB DDR 400
    Hard Drive: WD Raptor 40GB

Problem: I bought the game yesterday morning and installed it right away. Installation went fine, auto updater went fine, and then when I tried to actually start the game, I immediately get this message:
    ----------------------------------------
    D:\Program Files\2K Games\Bioshock\Builds\Release\Bioshock.exe
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
    ----------------------------------------

I contacted tech support over the phone, but the only thing they were able to suggest was to try redownloading .netframeworks. I've since uninstalled / reinstalled .netframeworks 1.1 and 2 countless times, I have uninstalled / reinstalled the game about 5 times now, and have tried disabling programs during startup etc. I run several other games fine with no issues (battle field 2, civ 4 beyond the sword, fear, etc). On searching the internet, that error comes up typically when programming code is made wrong. Something about side by side calculations or something.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format my hard drive, but I'm pretty close to doing that.

Well I got it fixed thanks to a few other posts. Here's what I had to do.

Download this file:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den

After I ran the file, I got an error that it couldn't find the msi, so I did this:

Killerpotato: The vcredist.msi file is located within the vcredist_x86.exe file. I suspect it's having problems extracting it to your temporary directory. In any case, you can use WinRAR (rarlabs.com) to extract the files from vcredist_x86.exe to get to the msi file. To do this, install winrar if you don't have it, right click on the vcredist_x86.exe exe and select "Extract Here". You'll get a new file called VCREDI~3.EXE. Right click on THAT file and hit "Extract Here" again. You'll get two files called vcredis1.cab and vcredist.msi, which you should be able to use directly.

I then ran vcredist.msi, and when it asked where the file was, I told it the folder that I had extracted it to through win rar.

This did not fix the game, but then, I tried downloading this file:

I originally downloaded this file first but I couldn't get it to continue. Once running the install for the first link I posted, this file then worked perfectly (removed old version, and installed new one). It then prompted me to reboot the computer, and now the game works.

Thank you for posting this. After trying, unsuccessfully, to run Bioshock since the demo release I followed your instructions and everything worked. You certainly came through faster than 2k tech support.

Good game so far, terrible, terrible support and QA. Having to download and install VC++ redistributables to run entertainment software? Nice. Bonus points for aggravating error message, though that's more of a Microsoft issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego View Post
    Thank you for posting this. After trying, unsuccessfully, to run Bioshock since the demo release I followed your instructions and everything worked. You certainly came through faster than 2k tech support.

Good game so far, terrible, terrible support and QA. Having to download and install VC++ redistributables to run entertainment software? Nice. Bonus points for aggravating error message, though that's more of a Microsoft issue.

I agree, support was pretty useless. I like how you go to 2k's website and there isn't even a listing for Bioshock for the PC in the support section. Phone support was pretty helpless as well. I really like the game, but stuff like this just makes it feel cheaply made.

Well, I havent been so lucky
    I'm getting the exact same problem "This application has failed to start because the application is incorrect" too..

Quote Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
    Well I got it fixed thanks to a few other posts. Here's what I had to do.

Download this file:

After I ran the file, I got an error that it couldn't find the msi, so I did this:

Killerpotato: The vcredist.msi file is located within the vcredist_x86.exe file. I suspect it's having problems extracting it to your temporary directory. In any case, you can use WinRAR (rarlabs.com) to extract the files from vcredist_x86.exe to get to the msi file. To do this, install winrar if you don't have it, right click on the vcredist_x86.exe exe and select "Extract Here". You'll get a new file called VCREDI~3.EXE. Right click on THAT file and hit "Extract Here" again. You'll get two files called vcredis1.cab and vcredist.msi, which you should be able to use directly.

I then ran vcredist.msi, and when it asked where the file was, I told it the folder that I had extracted it to through win rar.
    ...OK up to here.

Now when I right click and choose install (or simply double-click to run) on the mentioned vcredist.msi it doesnt ask me 'where the file was' it instead asks me what program do I want to use to open this file?? I've tried the bioshock.exe and the vcredist.cab that came from the VCREDI~1.EXE

Could you elaborate what you mean by 'I told it the folder that I had extracted it to through win rar.' as I cant see where your referring to here

Many thanks for your help!

Swanny
    Windows XP SP2,
    Intel Core Duo 2 6600@2.40Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    NVidia 7800 GTX

No idea if this will be of any help, but there is a file called "vcredist_x86.exe" on the DVD in the "vs redist" folder, maybe you could try copying this file to a folder on your computer and running this, it seems to be the same as mention in the previous posts.

PoG

Quote Originally Posted by PlayerOfGames View Post
    No idea if this will be of any help, but there is a file called "vcredist_x86.exe" on the DVD in the "vs redist" folder, maybe you could try copying this file to a folder on your computer and running this, it seems to be the same as mention in the previous posts.

PoG
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes.. thats the very same vcredist_x86.exe dustinb is referring to above..
    But running it returns an 'Error creating process <msiexec /i vcredist.msi> Reason: The system cannot find the file specified" error

It sounds like dustinb and lego were both able to run the vcredist.msi (extracted with WinRAR from the vcredist_x86.exe somehow) but this asks me to associate the file with a program for me

24.99 for this, what a waste.. sheesh..
    Swanny

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes.. thats the very same vcredist_x86.exe dustinb is referring to above..
    But running it returns an 'Error creating process <msiexec /i vcredist.msi> Reason: The system cannot find the file specified" error

It sounds like dustinb and lego were both able to run the vcredist.msi (extracted with WinRAR from the vcredist_x86.exe somehow) but this asks me to associate the file with a program for me

24.99 for this, what a waste.. sheesh..
    Swanny
    It sounds like your windows installer program is hosed (it's used to open .msi files). Follow this link and install it. It's a new version of the installer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Then go through the steps I posted up above again. Hope that helps, and I have 2k actually releases a patch to address this...

Yes I suspected that too..
    Have already installed the Windows installer 3.0 v2.

The MSI file still remains unassociated and fails to run however..

Is there a Windows Installer exe anywhere in \Windows where I can forcibally get it to use perhaps?

Clutching straws now

Swanny

Ok try these steps (do only one at a time and see if it fixes it):

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Empty user and system "temp" folders.

1. Empty "%systemdrive%\temp" folder.

2. Empty "%systemdrive%\%windir%\temp" folder.

3. Empty "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp".

Download this and run it
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301

OK..

Any attempt to run "msiexec /ureg" or "msiexec /regserver" returned a Windows cannot find 'msiexec'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I was able to clear all 3 temp file areas, but on trying to run the msicuu2.exe it returned a Windows script host error - C:\... \startMsi.vbs. 'The system cannot find the file specified'

My system doesnt seem to like msi's for some reason

Swanny

tried suggested fixes above, none worked! please help

I am having serious problems running the game. I bought it two days ago and I am still yet to play the game, and seriously considering snapping the dvd in half. After I install the game. When I click on bioshock.exe it come up with an error saying 'side by side configuration is incorrect'. I have all the latest drivers including the beta one.

I have read in other forums that you need to install C+++Redistributable, as I don't have it installed I tried installing it both from downloading it off the net and using the installer on the Bioshock dvd. Every time I try to install it it comes up with an error saying 'Error 1935. An error occured during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32" , version="8.0.50727.762".......'

I haven't got a clue what this means. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to play the game, but seriously annoyed with 2K for releasing the game in this state.

PC Specs:-

Windows Vista Business 32 bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual core

A8N-SLI Motherboard

2GB Corsair RAM

BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 640

Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme

Samsung 940BW 19" Widescreen

Wireless Logitech mouse & keyboard

I've got this problem as well. I've tried the steps needed to fix this, but I still keep getting the same error message

"vcredist.msi is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable. Try to find the installation package vcredist.msi from which you can install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable"

Sorry everyone, but I don't really have any other suggestions. Blame 2K for releasing a product that isn't even close to being stable.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
    Sorry everyone, but I don't really have any other suggestions. Blame 2K for releasing a product that isn't even close to being stable.
    Hey, no problem Dustin. Thanks so much for the input thusfar, I'm sure you've helped tons of people with this retarded issue.

If all else fails, try to use the testapp.exe executable to see if you can start the game (in the same folder as bioshock.exe).

Roberick has come up with a fix for this issue if people are still having problems.

Check out his thead HERE:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8104

I should also mention that my posts here are a windows xp only fix.

I get the Bioshock Logo then a window opens up and it crashes any konwn fixes for this?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Language: English
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dell DE051
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Page File: 584MB used, 1878MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02
    Display Memory: 96.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (72Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4396 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/20/2005 09:52:38, 36990 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    WHQL Date Stamp: None
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 9/20/2005 10:00:54, 1302332 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6632-11CF-B462-DF21A3C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2572
    SubSys ID: 0x01D51028
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02
    Manufacturer ID: 65535
    Product ID: 65535
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: smwdm.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.7000 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Date and Size: 3/22/2005 18:08:40, 260224 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Analog Devices
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: Yes