Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K: Why is the DLC 24kb only?

Quote Originally Posted by The Helvetica Scenario View Post
    I have to ask again though, at what point were you told the game you purchased would include the two extra characters, levels and weapon upgrades?
    That's not the point, is it? The point is that we were told that we could purchase DLC (Down-loadable Content.) Not a key. And there's the added pain of suffering through one of the buggiest games in my recollection, only to be informed that the "DLC" is already on our disc, and that 2K isn't really interested in bringing new content, but just squeezing out another $5 from the work that they already put forth.

Again, we are not entitled to anything for free. But we are entitled to suggest that this is one one of the worst things that 2K could do to an already disappointed fan base. I can refuse to buy it (which I will.) But it's a stupid move by 2K. I don't think they're listening to their fans at all. Either that, or they're being run by bean counters that don't care about fan reaction. An equally stupid move.
    Last edited by Vonderbach; 03-11-2010 at 01:58 AM.

@The Helvetica Scenario:

Irrelevant. There's a lot of content in the game (disc) that I was never told that it would be there. Shall they charge for that too?

It's common sense that when you're buying a game, you are enabled to use all the included content. Extra charges are only applicable for content that was developed post-launch and is missing from the disc/downloaded copy.

I have to ask again though, at what point were you told the game you purchased would include the two extra characters, levels and weapon upgrades?
    Well firstly the dialogues for the two new characters were found in the ini files for the PC version of BioShock 2, also they were seen in one of the multiplayer trailers before the game released.

I have to say 1 i'm so pissed off that i purchased something already on a disk with it clearly was marketed as dlc which is pure bull*hit. But money aside which yes plays the bigger role in a company being a douchebag but theres also the growing issue of pirated games and hackers. I know 2 people with pirated copy of bioshock which allows them to well by all means of the word become god in MP. I'm talking floating characters,infinite plasmid use,immune to damage. There such jerks and blantanly use there stuff and everyone knows there cheating but i laugh at few outcomes like throwing little sister outside the wall of the stage and everyone can only watch as she sits at bottom of ocean. But that being said and fun memories remembered there going to be alot of this in games to allow them to not let the people stealing there games online get full access to a game. mass effect 2 had tons of extra stuff cut from game so that only the real copy would get the items because pirated copies can't hook up and use the key. Big difference though mass effect 2 every single freaking thing was free or creative about how they did it. Like buy 1 dr pepper and unlock new head pieces with code. Great idea and practically costed us nothing more then a drink that we would already buy. This being cut from game along with the other suppose dlc is not horrible idea but charging us almost any amount of money for it is well i have long list of words on what it is but i like my forum talking to much to get banned. Ok tired of ranting im going to go back to enjoying my laggy game because i'm huge tool that seems to love giving 2k more money then they deserve.
    Last edited by Moxy; 03-11-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Please write in blocks / paragraphs.
    It's physically impossible for me and many others to read this wall of text.

Quote Originally Posted by doomed View Post
    Not impossible, but improbable.

I just checked the assets and it appears that the criminal is on the disk.

It looks like the 24KB download is a hash checksum that removes a file system flag on the character models.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbeertapper View Post
    I just checked the assets and it appears that the criminal is on the disk.

It looks like the 24KB download is a hash checksum that removes a file system flag on the character models.
    Cheers for checking rootbeer, our fears are confirmed now.

Spread the news to other sites/forums/friends/family etc.
    I'm certainly going to do that.

No,no, its like as if we had to pay 5 for multiplayer. Then another 5 to get past rank 20. Then another 5 to use a certain weapon. They are just milking it as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Big_Daddy View Post
    Cheers for checking rootbeer, our fears are confirmed now.
    Please don't take my comment as gospel, I was only making an observation. I don't think we should grab the torches and pitchforks just yet.
    Last edited by rootbeertapper; 03-11-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Please don't take my comment as gospel, I was only making an observation. I don't think we should grab the torches and pitchforks just yet.
    I wasn't trust me, just now we have proper truth that the DLC was in fact a key.

Sorry about that i will admit i'm horrible at writing and spacing. i will work on that next time.

Can we at least light the torches?

What a mess. I hope 2K learns from this fiasco and scraps MP for future Bioshock games alltogether.

I made a poll about if 2K should apolagy, http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62320

And predicated all of these things were going to happen.

Thread on steampowered forums now live: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1186259

Spread the news!

This has been known for a few weeks by the people on the forums actually. I understand the dislike of paying for stuff "on the disc" but I think everything accessible in Bioshock 2 already was perfectly sufficient, so by no means are we "entitled" to this extra content. They could have held this back and made it a download and no one would have been the wiser. Anyone could have justifiably believed that this was content they didn't have time to finish for the main release.

At the end of the day, I have no problems paying for it because I know it will help support future Bioshock content.

1st no patch (on consoles), now this. Someone at 2k is making some really bad decisions, absolutely ridiculous.

I'd not be suprised if this is the last Bio we see for a long time, the franchise must be badly damaged. I've very little goodwill left towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyburz View Post
    This has been known for a few weeks by the people on the forums actually. I understand the dislike of paying for stuff "on the disc" but I think everything accessible in Bioshock 2 already was perfectly sufficient, so by no means are we "entitled" to this extra content. They could have held this back and made it a download and no one would have been the wiser. Anyone could have justifiably believed that this was content they didn't have time to finish for the main release.

At the end of the day, I have no problems paying for it because I know it will help support future Bioshock content.
    You're very, very wrong. The 1st basic principle of DLC is that it must be worked on after release, and then downloadable. Fine if some stuff has to be cut to hit time schedules, then if it's polished and worked on afterwards.....i'll reward that extra work.

What i WONT do is pay to download a ticket to complete content thats been locked out. They've waited a month and given the impression that DLC was being worked on, and now screwed us over. The goddam Bioshock picture packs on XBL are bigger than this.

The management of this company have really screwed over the customers, and probably their staff too. DONT buy it anyone. Vote with your wallet.

What future BioShock content? Don't you mean OLD BioShock content? Because that's exactly what you are supporting if you buy this "DLC".

Quote Originally Posted by Vonderbach View Post
    You're stating the obvious. The point is, why was this decision made? Why did 2K decide to hold back material for additional profit? And more importantly, why are they calling it DLC, when it obviously is not.
    I was wondering when it was turned in to "DLC"; both of the MP characters are featured in the art book that came with the game.... as though they were created as part of the game not as something separate. I don't know for sure though, of course.

Much of the discontent is indeed the knowledge that this was a pre-planned cash grab. Had they actually held the material back and released it as a true DLC, nobody would be the wiser and everyone would not be up in arms. The crux of the issue is the knoweldge that it was there all along and now we're being asked to fork over money for something that required no effort on the part of 2K, just the flip of a switch.

But if future decisions are made as poorly as this one, I do have a problem with funding future expansion.

I think it is a bit silly, they have it ready pop it on the disc to prevent having to download it. Then people complain about it, if they would have made the whole thing a download no one would have know and this would be a non issue. So because they are up front and saying yeah it was already done on the disc they get flack for it.

I think OLD content is a stretch.. yes ancient from way back in February.. personally I don't care when it was done I feel the game alone was worth the value and will purchases the DLC based on the value of it as well. Which I am not sure I am really wanting the extras so I may not even get it.

The best part is if you don't like you don't have to buy it.

I think it is a bit silly, they have it ready pop it on the disc to prevent having to download it. Then people complain about it, if they would have made the whole thing a download no one would have know and this would be a non issue. So because they are up front and saying yeah it was already done on the disc they get flack for it.
    If they lied about it, and we later learned the truth we would be even more disgusted with 2K's decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by FtRapture View Post
    The best part is if you don't like you don't have to buy it.
    No, the best part is that if we don't like it we can criticize it and warn others about it.

This has been discussed before... in depth. I am not saying that the conversation should end, I am only suggesting that you look at this... mostly because I don't want to retype it. This post is about another game that offered "DLC" that was really already on the disk.
    Here is the link to the full thread.

Quote Originally Posted by choco View Post
    You're very, very wrong. The 1st basic principle of DLC is that it must be worked on after release, and then downloadable.

What i WONT do is pay to download a ticket to complete content thats been locked out.
    If you've played MW2, people are having the same discussion about this too. It seems that most of the new dlc that will be coming out at the end of March are also on the disc already.....people (esp on pc) were able to get into the info on the disc and there were new maps and game modes etc found....

Maybe it has always been done like this......except people didn't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by choco View Post
    You're very, very wrong. The 1st basic principle of DLC is that it must be worked on after release, and then downloadable. Fine if some stuff has to be cut to hit time schedules, then if it's polished and worked on afterwards.....i'll reward that extra work.

What i WONT do is pay to download a ticket to complete content thats been locked out. They've waited a month and given the impression that DLC was being worked on, and now screwed us over. The goddam Bioshock picture packs on XBL are bigger than this.

The management of this company have really screwed over the customers, and probably their staff too. DONT buy it anyone. Vote with your wallet.
    Whose principle is that?

Maybe these characters were always intended to be DLC but they got finished early, by including them on the disc they do us a favor by not making us download a larger file. The bottom line is that no one is entitled to these characters. That is I think the great logical flaw that a lot of people are showing here. The DLC is only five bucks, that is less than you pay for your Grande Gordita meal at Taco bell and the money you invest will go back into future Bioshock DLC.

Exactly Kyburz, it is really about value, if you feel it is worth it buy it. This whole we have to warn the masses not to spend their 5 dollars because it is already on the disk.. is well... kind of misguided.

I also agree, it has been fairly common in recent games. The whole 0 day content has been around awhile.
    Last edited by FtRapture; 03-11-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Maybe these characters were always intended to be DLC but they got finished early
    Then it should be free DLC. Why do we have to pay for something that we already own?

Whose principle is that?

Maybe these characters were always intended to be DLC but they got finished early, by including them on the disc they do us a favor by not making us download a larger file. The bottom line is that no one is entitled to these characters. That is I think the great logical flaw that a lot of people are showing here. The DLC is only five bucks, that is less than you pay for your Grande Gordita meal at Taco bell and the money you invest will go back into future Bioshock DLC.
    So your reasoning is "its cheap so just pay it". What a suprise stance for a moderator You know what else works on that principal? Small scams. They assume people won't try and reclaim a small amount. How fitting.

Judging by this DLC, no money will be needed for future content. It's already on our discs.

Why do we have to pay for something that we already own?
    You don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonderbach View Post
    Much of the discontent is indeed the knowledge that this was a pre-planned cash grab. Had they actually held the material back and released it as a true DLC, nobody would be the wiser and everyone would not be up in arms. The crux of the issue is the knoweldge that it was there all along and now we're being asked to fork over money for something that required no effort on the part of 2K, just the flip of a switch.

But if future decisions are made as poorly as this one, I do have a problem with funding future expansion.
    Again, it is a issue of entitlement. You are no more entitled to any content that is not accessible than you are to cut levels in Mario 3 that can only be accessed with a Game Genie. Think about what you are saying, you are saying if only 2k would have deceived you, you would have been happy. I can understand the frustration, but again, it's only five bucks, and it is an investment for the future. If you compare the entertainment most of us have got out of Bioshock 2 (and will get in the future) the intial 59.99 seems too cheap. I have no problems sliding an extra fiver their way for the quality product they have delivered.

I have no problems sliding an extra fiver their way for the quality product they have delivered.
    I don't have a problem to donate money to them for their hard work, I just don't want to pay for something I own.

You don't have to.
    Yes I have if I want to use it.

Ah, the Bioshock defence force out in full.

Well, moderators, everyone else has a problem with paying up a fiver every so often for content already on the discs. Another nail in the game's coffin, and no one is buying your reasoning.

Yes I have if I want to use it.
    Well then that is a choice you need to make, they are not going to unlock for free so choose to or not.. but you do not HAVE to do anything here.

Well then that is a choice you need to make, they are not going to unlock for free so choose to or not.. but you do not HAVE to do anything here.
    What choice? I can't choose if I want to pay or not, I'm being forced to pay to use something I already have in my possession.

Maybe these characters were always intended to be DLC but they got finished early, by including them on the disc they do us a favor by not making us download a larger file.
    I am not sure on this, it seems like they were originally intended to be part of the characters we met at launch, you can see them in the Multiplayer video footage which introduces MP to us... they were always part of MP.
    Video link on YouTube

The bottom line is that no one is entitled to these characters. That is I think the great logical flaw that a lot of people are showing here. The DLC is only five bucks, that is less than you pay for your Grande Gordita meal at Taco bell and the money you invest will go back into future Bioshock DLC.
    But my Grande Gordita meal isn't already sitting in my fridge. At Taco Bell I am paying for brand new food, not access to a microwave to heat it up. Also Taco Bell is gross. Just kidding, everyone likes fast food sometimes!

And now, for those who have not followed my link yet, here is a news story about another game that tried to pass off content that was on the disk as DLC... it did not go over well.

All of this being said I am not angry as much as I am confused.

What choice?

Buy it

Don't Buy it.

Really is this some sort of fuzzy area which is not clear?

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast