Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repetitive GFWL Updates

Repetitive GFWL Updates

After starting BioShock 2 and logging into GFWL, it tells me there's an update. If I don't update, it logs me out of GFWL and I cannot create saves for SP. After it downloads the update and closes BioShock 2, the update pops up and installs. It completes without any problems and starts BioShock 2 up again. I can see there being updates twice since there are 2 patches out, but it keeps doing this. I've gone on to do it 4-5 times and each time its the same thing. I can't even play the game in offline mode since it signs me out of GFWL. Hopefully someone can help me solve this. Thanks in advance.

GFWL Client: v3.2 (I believe this is the latest)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
    RAM: 4GB

GPU: 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Driver Date: 20/11/2009
    Version: 8.17.11.9562

Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Driver Date: 04/06/2009
    Version: 6.00.0001.1373

There may have been a corruption within the Xlive folder preventing the installation from continuing. If you are using Vista please try the following steps.

Open your "programs and features" list from the control panel, (add/remove for win xp) and uninstall Games for Windows Live.

Once uninstalled try renaming/moving or deleting your profile data. To do this

- Hold the Windows key and R together to bring up the Run command.

- Within the run command type the following: %localappdata% and press ok

- Open the Microsoft folder then rename/move or delete the Xlive folder

Once done restart your machine and reinstall the latest version of Games for Windows from the following link: GFWL Link

When finished please try installing the patch again, please let me know if this helps.

i also face the same problem, i've tried what you sugjested but to no sucsess.

Quote Originally Posted by PyreX KinG View Post
    i also face the same problem, i've tried what you sugjested but to no sucsess.
    Please post the requested information from the following thread: Before Posting

Do you ind you have the same looping issue or do you recieve an error message after each attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Chris View Post
    Do you ind you have the same looping issue or do you recieve an error message after each attempt?
    Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62
    Memory: 3072MB Ram

Display
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G
    Video Memory: 1392 MB
    Driver Date: 11/20/2009 9:34:54 PM

Sound
    Sound Card Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
    Driver Date 10/3/2008 3:40:12 AM

I have the same looping issue, i load the game sign into GFWL and it tells me there's an update. I install and re-load the game and the cycle repeats itself.

Are you able to find the following path and run the update direct from its location? Please be advised you may need to change the option to view hidden files to do this.

c:\users\<Username>\appdata\local\microsoft\xlive\ updates\5454085c\content\titleupdate.msi

If you run the titleupdate.msi does the same thing happen again?

yes, i've tried that it still tells me there's the update available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Chris View Post
    Are you able to find the following path and run the update direct from its location? Please be advised you may need to change the option to view hidden files to do this.

c:\users\<Username>\appdata\local\microsoft\xlive\ updates\5454085c\content\titleupdate.msi

If you run the titleupdate.msi does the same thing happen again?
    Wow that was quick! You tried my quote as above? Have you tried deleting it instead?

i'm watching this topic for replies. i've been eager to play the game but i dont want to be forced to play offline.

yes, i've completely uninstalled the game & GFWL and deleted the xlive folder itself. and reinstalled everything. still same issues. i have many other GFWL games and i've not had any issues with title updates before.
    Last edited by PyreX KinG; 03-27-2010 at 08:43 AM.

I've done exactly what PyreX KinG has done and to no avail. I navigated to c:\users\<Username>\appdata\local\microsoft\xlive\ updates\5454085c but there is nothing in that folder.

What is the installation path of the game itself?

Please try deleting your Temp files by opening up the Run Command (Hold win key and tap R together) and type %Temp%.Press ok and delete all temp files and try re-updating, if this fails please provide the full installation path of your game.

Please also advise If you have the Game on DVD or through a Direct Download service such as steam or D2D.

Thanks

-Game on DVD
    -Installation Path: C:\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock 2

Trying to patch the game now...

Edit: Didn't work
    Last edited by wolfbane5; 03-27-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane5 View Post
    -Game on DVD
    -Installation Path: C:\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock 2

Trying to patch the game now...

Edit: Didn't work
    Thanks for letting me know. I've checked some resources on the GFWL website, It specifies that on some occasions if the game is not installed to the default directory this problem can happen. Typically for Win7 64 it should be here: C:\Program files(x86)\2K Games\BioShock 2

If you would like to test this please try reinstalling in the x86 folder to see if it makes a difference.

I'll give it a shot, but that's a rather odd thing to force. GFWL really should be able to find the install directory just like any other patch...
    Last edited by wolfbane5; 03-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Please let me know how you get along, It does seem strange and doesnt happen with everyone.

I'll check for some more possibilities in the meantime just incase this doesnt work out for you.

I installed it to the default directory and now the game won't start. GFWL is installed, runs just fine on my computer and in any other game.

"Games For Windows- Live is not installed, or outdated. Please install the latest..."

Have you tried running the Live installer from the Microsoft website after you began to receive this error message? If no try reinstalling it and restart your machine just incase. GFWL Link

First thing I tried after I got the error - still no luck.

Anything else I can try? I've had the game since the release date and haven't been able to play it.

It could potentially be a background process stopping the updates from downloading and applying correctly. What software do you have active on your system at the moment (security software would be a common culprit)?

For Windows 7 press the Windows key and 'R' to show the Run box, once done type MSCONFIG and click Ok. Once the tool has opened click on the Startup tab and click disable all. If done correctly you'll be prompted to restart, do so and then try the process again.

Note: Revert this change as soon as you have tested the game again.

I already use a selective startup in msconfig - just windows 7, and the software controlling my mouse and keyboard startup, so I doubt it would be that. Furthermore, after the 1st or 2nd update, I do see the widescreen fix take effect in-game, so I think they sort of are, yet aren't installing? If that makes any sense.

I also have the exact same problem. Starting up the game, and GFWL goes on an endless loop.

My game is installed to C:\Program Files\steam\SteamApps\common\bioshock 2

I've tried to run both C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Update s\5454085c\Content\titleupdate.msi and setup.exe - didn't work
    GFWL gives a fail log:

Launching Title Update: /p 688
    Could not find game install folder
    To manually set folder, run: "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Updat es\5454085c\Content\Setup.exe" /f "<path to game folder>"

I then tried to run C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Update s\5454085c\Content\Setup.exe" /f C:\Program Files\steam\SteamApps\common\bioshock 2
    from the command promt, and everything was going well, untill it seems done, but then gives this errormessage: Bioshock.exe - component not found

Anyone else have any ideas?

Btw, running Vista 64 bit, and from steam

Have you tried running the game as Admin?

To do this right click the games icon and select Run As Admin

Thanks for the reply, much appriciated!

I now tried to run the launcher as admin: bioshock2.exe stopped working, due to missing binkw32.dll missing. It's in the binaries library. I also tried to install rad tools, but that didn't help either. So still no cigar :/

Try searching your harddrive for the missing driver.
    When copy it into the bioshock 2 game folder

c - program files - 2kgames - bioshock 2- sp -builds- binaries

I tried to download a binkw32.dll from a random site. Then put a copy of the file in both windows\system32 and one in the \binaries library of Bioshock. When trying to run the launcher as an admin, I get the errormessage, that binkw32.dll is not meant for windows (!?) and bioshock2.exe stops.
    (I then deleted the two random copies)
    I have tried to search my harddrives for binkw32.dll (perhapse it should be with the game?), but it isn't there at all.

It should have installed the file onto the computer in the game directory.

I would suggest you either reinstall the game or download Rad Tools from

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Thanks for the suggestions, they are really appriciated, but I already tried both things yesterday. After reinstalling, I also verified the integrity of the cache.

At the steam forum, someone had fixed an issue by downloading the update through filefront. I tried downloading his link, and got 3 files:

media1.cb
    setup.exe
    titleupdate.msi

Ran setup.exe, installation seemed fine, untill it attempted to launch the game, then bioshock.exe stopped working. However, the log file now looks like this:

Launching Title Update: "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\m\setup.exe"
    Launching: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\m\TitleUpdate.msi ACTION=INSTALL REINSTALLMODE=amus LAUNCHEDVIASETUP=1 APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY="c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\bioshock 2" TRANSFORMS=:Instance2 MSINEWINSTANCE=1
    Relaunch: SP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2Launcher.exe
    Success

The problem still persists, so I won't _really_ call it a succes.

As you have installedthe update from an unsupported source you will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

Thank you.

Now I have uninstalled the game (deleted local content), as well as have deleted the stuff in \documents\Bioshock 2

Then I installed the game again (thank god for my kick-ass internet connection ;-) - and started the game as I would normally do. Once I got into 'single player', the game automaticly logged on to GFWL, and asked me to install the updated, which I did. Installation no problem, but when the game started again, it still ask me to update again - so now I'm back to square one.

What's next?

I think you might have a registry problem.

Disclaimer: It's no secret what registry keys the game uses so I don't think I'm revealing any prohibited info here.

These are some of the registry keys you should have for BS2:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2K Games]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2K Games\BioShock 2]
    "InstallPath" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2K Games\BioShock 2\1.00.0000]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2K Games\BioShock 2\MP]
    "InstallPath" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\MP"
    "Working" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\MP\Builds\Binaries"
    "Launcher" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\MP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2Launcher.exe"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\2K Games\BioShock 2\SP]
    "InstallPath" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\SP"
    "Working" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\SP\Builds\Binaries"
    "Launcher" = "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\SP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2Launcher.exe"
    My path happens to be "K:\Games\2K Games\BioShock 2\", your path will likely be different. Something like "C:\Program Files\2K Games\BioShock 2\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\BioShock 2\".

[EDIT]
    If you use a 64bit version of Windows the registry key will be slightly different, look in the "Wow6432Node" under the "SOFTWARE" key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\2K Games\BioShock 2]

Check to see if you have these keys, if you don't then the updates will not be able to find the game files.

These are some of the registry keys applied by the title update:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\C5804545F0480704F8AA440100203810]
    "ProductName" = "BioShock 2"
    "PackageCode" = "5EF29A917E3524C46A7E4A2F02EC3E22"
    "Language" = dword:00000409
    "Version" = dword:01000002
    Note that the version here is 1.0.0.2, I'm going to guess that that's what GFWL is looking at to determine if a title update is needed. Please don't go and manually change the version data just to stop the update. I don't know if that would work anyway and I'm sure you'll screw up the game's installed files.

Look in the game install folder to see if the files were actually updated. These are the date and time for some of the 1.0.0.2 files for the retail US DVD version:
    Code:
    02/13/2010 14:57:36 ...\BioShock 2\MP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2.exe
    02/13/2010 14:59:20 ...\BioShock 2\MP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2Launcher.exe
    02/05/2010 18:09:26 ...\BioShock 2\SP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2.exe
    02/05/2010 18:09:26 ...\BioShock 2\SP\Builds\Binaries\Bioshock2GFW.dll
    If you use Vista or Seven you may have trouble if you install BS2 into the "C:/Program Files" or "C:/Program Files (x86)" folder. The software is supposed to work when installed there but for some reason some people have problems with Windows permissions to those folders, Windows likes to have exclusive access to those folders and may prevent updating any files in those folders. This can sometimes be fixed by running the game or GFWL or any updates as "Run as Administrator".

I've found it is simply easier to never install a game into those folders (using Seven Pro x84). I install all my games onto a separate partition on a separate physical harddrive and have never had trouble.
    Last edited by zBobG; 04-05-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks for the reply, zBobG.

I opened the regedit function, and searched for the data you posted. I did both a manual search, as well as used the search function - I searched for 'bioshock', and nothing came up. I don't know if it is because I bought the game through steam?

Remember, my actual installpath is (steam decided - and I can't seem to change it) c:\programmer\steam\SteamApps\common\bioshock 2

Who do I obtain a refund from? Would that be directly from 2K games, or from valve/steam?

You will need to speak to the point of purchase for refunds.

It might be worth contacting GFWL to see if they know any reason why it keeps doing the update.

Damn I had this same thing happen to me and I fixed it. I'll try to find the posts where I went through hell and ended up fixing it by myself with no help.

Update: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...813#post681813

I installed BS2 where I wanted, but that caused the update to repeat. Then when I installed to default directory it gave me this "GFWL not installed" error even though it was. You just have to delete EVERYTHING related to BS2 and re-install yet again. Fixed for me.

So to sum up, if you decided to put BS2 in a directory of your choosing, you will have to re-install BS2 TWICE(and delete all traces of BS2 which the uninstall will not do) in its own default directory to fix the problem that putting the game where you wanted it causes. This is all probably some scam to use up our keys so we have to go ask Microsoft permission to install our game more than 10 times.
    Last edited by Virtues; 04-05-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CryptAngel View Post
    snip...
    If you use a 64bit version of Windows the registry key will be slightly different, look in the "Wow6432Node" under the "SOFTWARE" key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\2K Games\BioShock 2]

Regarding Steam: You CAN install the steam applications folder (SteamApps) to ANY partition on ANY harddrive. I have 55Gb of Steam games installed to a "H:/Games/Valve/Steam/" folder on a separate harddrive. Only the SteamService is installed to my C:/ partition. When Steam is installed you can choose where to install the applications. It's also possible to reinstall Steam in order to change the location of the applications folder.

To avoid re-downloading all the applications from Steam, you can copy the Steam folder to the new location before reinstalling Steam to change the location. Then just reinstall and point Steam to the new location. Delete the old Steam applications folder when you've tested the new install.

A little offtopic: So how come my folder is "../Valve/Steam/"? I've had Steam since it was first used for Valve's HalfLife series of games. So my folder was named for Valve games. And by the way, the first two years of Steam were no pleasure, Steam was very buggy at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtues View Post
    I installed BS2 where I wanted, but that caused the update to repeat.
    I have quite a few GFWL games, all installed to a separate partition on a separate physical harddrive and I have never had a problem installing the games or running the games and have never had a problem with GFWL updates.

More info regarding registry problems...

There is a MS tool for cleaning up the installer registry entries:
    Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

That page describes Office products but it applies to ANY program installed by the Windows Installer (like GFWL). It can be used to remove broken install info from the registry which should allow you to reinstall your application successfully. It does not remove the application's files or folders, it just removes the registry info. You must however reinstall the application after using the utility so as to recreate the proper registry entries.

As always, you should make a Restore Point before using this utility and it might be useful to backup any files you absolutely don't want to loose.

I think this cleanup utility still works in Seven, both the x86 and x64 versions of Windows.
    Last edited by zBobG; 04-05-2010 at 04:29 AM.

LOL - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

I have litteraly _just_ finished uninstalling app. 10 steam games, steam inself, and GFWL and is about to reboot, when a pop-up tells me, that GFWL has a new version 3.2 ready for download.

If this version fixes my problems, then I truely don't know if to celebrate or cry a river.

God lord, I got it to work. What was required, was to uninstall steam, and let steam pick its new location - programs(x86).
    Then the patch was applied, and everything now works like a charm. Not even a single in-game crash so far.

Excellent news, Thanks for letting us know. If you have any further issues please feel free to post again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast