Thread: I would like to know how to remove securom from my computer

I would like to know how to remove securom from my computer

Hello! its ME! paying customer! I've just realised i didnt read rebelphoenixs post carefully enough and despite not installing the full game because I dont like securom, ive found I have it anyway!

It appears the bioshock demo put keys in my registry I cant delete. I would like 2k to tell me how I can remove them please

Format. Twice just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadS View Post
    Nope, Im prevented from deleting the securom key in the regsitry, thanks for digging that up though!

Quote Originally Posted by Devereaux View Post
    thanks im giving that a try now

Quote Originally Posted by Pas De Charge View Post
    Hello! its ME! paying customer! I've just realised i didnt read rebelphoenixs post carefully enough and despite not installing the full game because I dont like securom, ive found I have it anyway!

It appears the bioshock demo put keys in my registry I cant delete. I would like 2k to tell me how I can remove them please
    2k wont do anything. I have asked them for a way to remove this because I installed the demo and they have gone completely silent. Apparently thats what we get for trusting them with something as simple as a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pas De Charge View Post
    Nope, Im prevented from deleting the securom key in the regsitry, thanks for digging that up though!
    What error message do you get?

I've not dealt with trying to remove this SecuROM crap, but I have had to deal with troublesome registry entries in the past. I once had an Adobe Reader setup go nuts because, for some reason, permissions on the registry keys were set such that the Administrators group did not have permission to modify the keys.

The fix lies in the fact that the Administrators group can always add itself to the security list for any object. So I had to manually add the Administrators group to the permissions list for the registry entry, and then I could delete it (once giving the group Full Control). Might that work, or is this a bit more insidious than even that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimensio View Post
    What error message do you get?

I've not dealt with trying to remove this SecuROM crap, but I have had to deal with troublesome registry entries in the past. I once had an Adobe Reader setup go nuts because, for some reason, permissions on the registry keys were set such that the Administrators group did not have permission to modify the keys.

The fix lies in the fact that the Administrators group can always add itself to the security list for any object. So I had to manually add the Administrators group to the permissions list for the registry entry, and then I could delete it (once giving the group Full Control). Might that work, or is this a bit more insidious than even that?
    Short of a PC wipe there is no way to fully remove securom at this time. 2K games doesnt seem to care about resolving it so I wouldnt count on them for a fix. Securom has the same wonderful standards of customer service as 2K and is equally worthless at providing help.

Quote Originally Posted by Obturator View Post
    Short of a PC wipe there is no way to fully remove securom at this time. 2K games doesnt seem to care about resolving it so I wouldnt count on them for a fix. Securom has the same wonderful standards of customer service as 2K and is equally worthless at providing help.
    In that case, I wish to go on record as saying that the people involved in writing the SecuROM software and the people who knowingly chose to implement SecuROM in Bioshock should be ceremoniously taken to a public street and shot, point-blank, in the head. This public execution should be broadcast live, to serve as an example to others.

Removal of securom

Found this whilst trawling earlier, but cannot give credit to original author, sry whoever you may be

This is untested by me - I have the shrink wrapped game on my desk but uninstalled due to well guess what...........

(Fully uninstall Bioshock btw)

1. stop UAService7 service (CTRL+ALT+DEL, find it and kill it)
    2. using e.g. Autoruns (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html) remove this service and delete the file \windows\system32\UAService7.exe
    3. delete the folder Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Application Data\SecuROM
    4. delete the folder Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SecuROM; in case of any deletion problems use DelInvFile tool
    (http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm).
    5. delete securom registry keys using regedit
    6. key named HKLM\SOFTWARE\SecuROM\!CAUTION! NEVER DELETE OR CHANGE ANY KEY* contains embedded nulls and cannot be removed using regedit; use e.g. RegDelNull tool (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html) instead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by w00tkit View Post
    Removal of securom

Found this whilst trawling earlier, but cannot give credit to original author, sry whoever you may be

This is untested by me - I have the shrink wrapped game on my desk but uninstalled due to well guess what...........

(Fully uninstall Bioshock btw)

1. stop UAService7 service (CTRL+ALT+DEL, find it and kill it)
    2. using e.g. Autoruns (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html) remove this service and delete the file \windows\system32\UAService7.exe
    3. delete the folder Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Application Data\SecuROM
    4. delete the folder Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SecuROM; in case of any deletion problems use DelInvFile tool
    (http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm).
    5. delete securom registry keys using regedit
    6. key named HKLM\SOFTWARE\SecuROM\!CAUTION! NEVER DELETE OR CHANGE ANY KEY* contains embedded nulls and cannot be removed using regedit; use e.g. RegDelNull tool (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html) instead of it.
    This has already been posted and no it doesnt fully remove it.

My bad,
    been a long day, trusting what i read in forums,
    don't know what came over me...

Quote Originally Posted by w00tkit View Post
    My bad,
    been a long day, trusting what i read in forums,
    don't know what came over me...
    We are still begging for a way to fully remove this and 2k isnt even acknowledging that we are asking for it. This situation seems to be going from bad to worse.

This is an absolute joke.

We are still begging for a way to fully remove this and 2k isnt even acknowledging that we are asking for it. This situation seems to be going from bad to worse.
    I'm glad i played the demo on a mates 360....

I would have hoped that the mess Sony found themselves in wrt their CD Rootkit implementation would have resulted in:

1 Clear statement on packaging of the inclusion of software which compromises system security.

2 Removal tool for said software

Didn't Sony have to provide a removal tool and compensation to affected users?

Spending an entire day wading through Steam,2k Games,Take2, and the gut wrenching horrible Securom site is why I feel dismay at having forked out 25 for a DVD case with Bioshock coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardog View Post
    This is an absolute joke.
    Welcome to 2k customer service where even Demo users get rootkits as a reward for showing interest in their products

i dunno if i fully got rid of it but i ran spyware doctor twice it came up twice i deleted it twice now it doesnt show up nemore

Quote Originally Posted by rev1 View Post
    i dunno if i fully got rid of it but i ran spyware doctor twice it came up twice i deleted it twice now it doesnt show up nemore
    Do a reboot and then run rootkit revealer. If that passes then the hidden threads are taken care of

Quote Originally Posted by Dimensio View Post
    In that case, I wish to go on record as saying that the people involved in writing the SecuROM software and the people who knowingly chose to implement SecuROM in Bioshock should be ceremoniously taken to a public street and shot, point-blank, in the head. This public execution should be broadcast live, to serve as an example to others.
    Rightly said.

Not only are they making a "bad software" which doesn't seem to conform to anything which we normally see, they take efforts to hide it from the user and they make it very difficult to remove it either. You literally have to jump through hoops to remove it.

Using Securom hampers the user's ability to use other software, due to its notorious black listing (Process Explorer comes to my mind). This is just pathetic.

I never recall having agreed to all this while I accepted the EULA - none of this bu****it was ever mentioned in it. I do believe it is illegal.

I have been trying to contact customer support multiple times and have got no response. Speaks volumes of their customer support service.

How would 2K react

If we securomed their server?