View Poll Results: Should Leonard Nimoy provide the voice overs again?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course!

43 81.13%
  • No way!

5 9.43%
  • Why not William Shatner instead?

5 9.43%

Thread: Leonard Nimoy in Civ 5?

Leonard Nimoy in Civ 5?

On another thread, I rasied a light-hearted question: imagine if William Shatner was doing the voice overs in Civ 5?

(Just imagine for a second... no, really, just imagine... and tell me you didn't chuckle just for a moment when you imagined how your favourite tech quote would sound...)

Then, a more serious issue came to mind... indeed, probably the most important detail that I needed to confirm about the new release... and was stunned that I had not considered it before... but...

Will Leonard Nimoy return for Civ 5?

I mean, perhaps it's the geeky little fanboy within me (the "inner geek" so to speak), but remember how cool it was when you first played Civ IV, researched your first tech, and heard a strangely familiar voice reading to you? Upon reflection, it was a crucial factor in my compulsion to play those first few games, trying to research every and any tech available, just to hear him speak...

Assuming all of the voice over work hasn't been completed at this stage, is it too late to petition for Nimoy's return (the "Search for Spock", as it were)?

Maybe I should have made this a poll?

He was awesome, Sid's voice felt out of place in Beyond the Sword.

Darth Vader?

I guess it's too late to get James Earl Jones thrown into the mix....

Quote Originally Posted by rwire326 View Post
    I guess it's too late to get James Earl Jones thrown into the mix....
    YES! Would be awesome. Or since he narrates everything else, Morgan Freeman.

homer simpson would be cool no?

I agree that I want Nimoy to do the readings for the game, but I think it'd be cool if multiple people were brought into the game to read specific kinds of readings, like Nimoy could read any classified as philosophical, and James Earl Jones reading anything militaristic.

If the voices were like the ones in the Trailer...that would be pretty epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Late Customer View Post
    I agree that I want Nimoy to do the readings for the game, but I think it'd be cool if multiple people were brought into the game to read specific kinds of readings, like Nimoy could read any classified as philosophical, and James Earl Jones reading anything militaristic.
    Hey, I love that idea... now that I think about it, Patrick Stewart should have been in there, as well... last time I was at the planetarium, he read for the "Mars" presentation that they did, and did a great job... maybe he could do the engineering types (bronze working, construction, et al...)

I liked Leonard Nimoy's voiceovers in Civ 5.

But there's a more important issue than mere voicovers. I think there should be a new World Wonder called "Star Trek the Television Show".

Think about what Star Trek (in all of its incarnations) has become, the worldwide phenomenon that it is, and the economic force that it represents.

Only for Spanish:

Chiquito de la Calzada

Quote Originally Posted by peaceful ironmonger View Post
    I liked Leonard Nimoy's voiceovers in Civ 5.

But there's a more important issue than mere voicovers. I think there should be a new World Wonder called "Star Trek the Television Show".

Think about what Star Trek (in all of its incarnations) has become, the worldwide phenomenon that it is, and the economic force that it represents.
    True, but doesn't Star Wars have a similarly high impact, as well as many other parts of pop culture? (think Lord of the Rings, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by marcelbutkis View Post
    True, but doesn't Star Wars have a similarly high impact, as well as many other parts of pop culture? (think Lord of the Rings, etc.)
    I'm guessing that was the impetus behind the Hollywood wonder?

I thought having Leonard Nimoy read the technology quotes in Civ IV was brilliant, but why limit ourselves to merely "Spock" and "Kirk"? There are a great many actors and voice actors out there that would give an outstanding performance. I just tossed James Earl Jones out as a suggestion for something different. ...And having "Darth Vader" read would be pretty sweet.

There seems to be a fair amount of "something different" going on with Civ V, so why not have fun with this? Late Customer may have really nailed it with having multiple people read - assuming they will continue this in Civ V. Patrick Stewart and Morgan Freeman were pretty inspired suggestions as well. Why not some women, too? I think Cate Blanchett has an incredible voice.

They may have gone this direction already. It may be just me, but isn't that Kevin Costner narrating the Viking "Courage - Faith - Hope" segment? I'm sure I recognize the Egyptian "Soul of a Nation" narrator, too; I just can't place him.
    Last edited by rwire326; 04-29-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: speeling errurh :P

I'm guessing that was the impetus behind the Hollywood wonder?

I thought having Leonard Nimoy read the technology quotes in Civ IV was brilliant, but why limit ourselves to merely "Spock" and "Kirk"? There are a great many actors and voice actors out there that would give an outstanding performance. I just tossed James Earl Jones out as a suggestion for something different. ...And having "Darth Vader" read would be pretty sweet.

There seems to be a fair amount of "something different" going on with Civ V, so why not have fun with this? Late Customer may have really nailed it with having multiple people read - assuming they will continue this in Civ V. Patrick Stewart and Morgan Freeman were pretty inspired suggestions as well. Why not some women, too? I think Cate Blanchett has an incredible voice.

They may have gone this direction already. It may be just me, but isn't that Kevin Costner narrating the Viking "Courage - Faith - Hope" segment? I'm sure I recognize the Egyptian "Soul of a Nation" narrator, too; I just can't place him.
    It would be an insane amount of work to coordinate this, but it would be REALLY cool if they could use different voice actors for each, famous and not, with a voice that seems to fit the technology...for example, for a technology for SDI, they could use James Earl Jones's Vader voice ("Star Wars" :P ).

Quote Originally Posted by marcelbutkis View Post
    It would be an insane amount of work to coordinate this, but it would be REALLY cool if they could use different voice actors for each, famous and not, with a voice that seems to fit the technology...for example, for a technology for SDI, they could use James Earl Jones's Vader voice ("Star Wars" :P ).
    SDI = Star Wars! Brilliant!! It didn't occur to me how appropriate that would be!

I'm still trying to figure out the voice-overs in the trailer. Many of them sound SO familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    homer simpson would be cool no?
    Awsome candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Balaban View Post
    Awsome candidate.
    But only if he says "D'oh!" at least one time!

Maybe Homer could introduce the "Fusion" technology, especially since he worked in the Springfield nuclear power plant.

I think Cate Blanchett has an incredible voice.
    As an Australian, I cannot think of any Aussie voice I would love to hear more of

It this moment in time, I'm not buying Civilization V due to all of the f**king around with cutting content for "Deluxe Editions" and DLC...

...But if Leonard Nimoy was coming back, I'd probably reconsider.

I've always liked Mr. Spock, but he's 79 years old now.

So, I regretfully say 'no' only because his voice is now too scratchy and old.

I would like Ken Burns, the famous voice on the PBS civil war series and other historical documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruelgor View Post
    I've always liked Mr. Spock, but he's 79 years old now.

So, I regretfully say 'no' only because his voice is now too scratchy and old....
    I have to agree. The only vocals by Leonard Nimoy should be those from earlier versions of Civilization.