Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Congratulation for your profitable business decision

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    280

    Congratulation for your profitable business decision

    Me! I saw XCOM! Me! And I still can’t bloody talk about it. But I can direct you to buy, beg, borrow, steal or consume the latest issue of PC Gamer UK, which contains a big-ass feature wot I wrote about 2K Australia/Marin’s controversial do-over of The World’s Greatest Videogame™. What I can say – I hope – is that the feature goes into why the game is a lot more interesting than the infuriatingly brief press release suggested. The issue’s lurking on the shelves of UK agents o’news now, or you can buy a copy direct from here. Free delivery, I’m told. Oh, and the feature also includes the largest picture you’ve ever seen of a Sectoid from the original X-COM. We’ll be spilling XCOM details on this very website in a few weeks: print/online embargo splits are absolutely ludicrous in this day and age, but there you go.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...Steam%20RSS%29


    You've duped a lot of semi-aware fans and ignited the media bomb.

    Choosing the name XCOM (without the -) was perfect. More and more people seem to be blurring the (thick IMO) line between the two games. They are drooling it seems.

    Sad day for video games, but wonderful for the video game industry.



    But hope dies last and i hope that one day the video game industry gets reformed and maybe that day i'll see X-com again.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    3,180
    I'm sorry… I'm not getting your point. You first quote an article about an old fan of X-COM who is genuinely excited about the new game because of new information… then you go on to call for a total reformation of the games industry.

    So because this person is excited he is clearly only semi-aware? A miniscule amount of digging proves that this is not the case. So in that case, he must just be stupid because he's an X-COM fan who's actually excited about this.

    Are you just so close minded that you can't accept the fact that this could maybe be anything but a huge disaster? You've spent so much time convincing yourself that this is going to be terrible based on minimal details that even if the game does turn out to be amazing you'll still hate it. Take a deep breath and try to be a little bit more open here. Why don't you find out why this guy is excited rather than just saying "Oh, he's excited about XCOM so he must be a moron."

  3. #3
    Yeah, I don't really see the point of this thread. You didn't like what someone on some other site posted, I guess? I mean, if anything, it sounds like a transparent attempt to get me to buy a copy of PC Gamer UK...

    Not really much to talk about here that isn't already being discussed in another thread on this forum. I guess I could re-state my opinions on the whole thing all over again, but that seems like kind of a waste. Really, until some more news comes out I don't think there's a whole lot more to talk about...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Supporting 2K Marin AND Bioshock 2
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    Are you just so close minded that you can't accept the fact that this could maybe be anything but a huge disaster? You've spent so much time convincing yourself that this is going to be terrible based on minimal details that even if the game does turn out to be amazing you'll still hate it. Take a deep breath and try to be a little bit more open here. Why don't you find out why this guy is excited rather than just saying "Oh, he's excited about XCOM so he must be a moron."
    NO offense whatsoever(and I do apologize if I do offend) ...but...in case you haven't noticed...quite a number of threads/posts in this forum are of/from people expressing their dis-pleasure over this new XCOM game,so it's nothing new or surprising to see one more person doing so

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    NO offense whatsoever(and I do apologize if I do offend) ...but...in case you haven't noticed...quite a number of threads/posts in this forum are of/from people expressing their dis-pleasure over this new XCOM game,so it's nothing new or surprising to see one more person doing so
    The difference is that someone who was obviously a fan of the X-COM series is excited for XCOM, and apparently that is a mortal sin. How dare someone who's been able to see and experience the "product" have a differing opinion than those who've only interpreted regurgitated interpretations of those who've played it. Its ludicrous.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,511
    You know, I've just noticed the blatant distortion in that statement that was published in the OP. The writer mentioned a sectoid in the context of the article, possibly leading one to assume there would be a sectoid in X-Com, yet we already know from the other articles there are no classic/humanoid aliens appearing in the game. I think he's trying to point out the perceived duplicity in the information that was given.
    Last edited by Aegeri; 05-10-2010 at 11:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Supporting 2K Marin AND Bioshock 2
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    The difference is that someone who was obviously a fan of the X-COM series is excited for XCOM, and apparently that is a mortal sin. How dare someone who's been able to see and experience the "product" have a differing opinion than those who've only interpreted regurgitated interpretations of those who've played it. Its ludicrous.
    Oh yes,how dare someone NOT follow the masses of ''zomgz new XCOM FPS game?! nooooezz it cannot be 2K u haz ruined XCOM! '' so let us summarily execute this person

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCent View Post
    Sad day for video games, but wonderful for the video game industry.

    But hope dies last and i hope that one day the video game industry gets reformed and maybe that day i'll see X-com again.
    (Okay, so maybe I do have one thing to say in regards to this thread, go figure.)

    Videogames have been around for, what, 40 years or so? Still no sign of this reformation. The first "big break" for videogames was the coin-op fad, which set down the founding game design concepts that would influence everything for decades to come. These games weren't made for altruistic purposes, the whole "point" was to get people to keep coming back and popping more quarters into the machines. Games were designed to be just hard enough that you'd feel like you were getting just a bit further with each quarter, while keeping your play time as short as possible.

    I remember my very first computer was an old DOS 386. This was back before computers even had hard drives, and you needed at least two floppy drives if you intended on saving anything. My parents bought two games to go along with that computer - 688 Attack Sub and Alf: The Videogame.

    Companies have always been trying to "cash in" on popular franchises. Remember the NES days, when virtually every movie that came out had a videogame tie-in? (And often, they'd be literal copies of another game with different sprites - "shovelware" isn't exactly a term that only popped up a couple of years ago, after all.)

    ET: The Videogame was around long before this supposed "new era of corporate greed in videogames." That's why we have sequels in the first place. If anything, it's gotten better. Sequels only ever came out as a "cash in" on a popular videogame - and back in the day they were often rushed out the door as soon as possible. (Terror from the Deep was released the year after Enemy Unknown came out - odds are that wasn't because they just "happened" to have finished in that short of a time.) If anything, things have gotten better - companies now have little problem making fans wait a couple of years between iterations of their favorite series.

    Anyway, enough of the history lesson. It just kind of cracks me up when people come up with this idea that "videogame x" is some new sign of the "downfall of videogames" as compared to this mythological golden era where groups of altruistic game designer/ philanthropists made games for the sheer joy of pleasing their fans with no thought of seeing a return on their investment.

    Heck, I'm ambiguous as anyone about this new X-Com reboot. I might not share the same level of vitriol as some around here, but I still find it largely counter-intuitive. But yeah - of course 2K is trying to "cash in" on the popularity of a popular franchise. If what they were making was a more faithful rendering of the game's founding principles, it would still be for the same motives, however.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    The difference is that someone who was obviously a fan of the X-COM series is excited for XCOM, and apparently that is a mortal sin. How dare someone who's been able to see and experience the "product" have a differing opinion than those who've only interpreted regurgitated interpretations of those who've played it. Its ludicrous.
    The media regularly makes complete turds seem like they are going to be great well before coming out. I've yet to read a preview that takes a negative line and points out even obviously fatal problems with a game. For example Lair - if you've never played it the controls of the game were awful and it was absolutely panned on release for its terrible controls. Yet in all the previews was such an incredibly obvious flaw ever pointed out with the game at any point? Hardly ever in any previews, all of the previews of the game were completely glowing and very excited.

    Yet game comes out and the same magazines that gave it glowing previews absolutely panned the game as horrific. My point though is that this was something so immensely obvious you'd have to wonder why nobody seemed to realize "Hey this game controls absolutely horribly" before it was released.

    So I don't really pay much heed to what people paid to hype games in print magazines and try to get people to buy them have to say. When reviews come out and they say that it's really good I'll believe them. Until then I'll make up my own mind based on what I've seen. Bear in mind some people who have proclaimed in this forum to be "huge X-Com nerds" can barely get basic facts about the old games correct.

    This isn't to say people who are X-Com fans (genuine fans) like Fishman at Penny-Arcade is who currently doing a LP of it aren't excited for the game (as he certainly is and doing a LP of the size/length he needs is massive dedication). I am just skeptical of people who have something to directly gain by selling magazines giving an optimistic look and "BUY OUR MAGAZINE!!!" quite frankly. Especially when what he wrote IMO could be interpreted as saying that the preview will be indicating some of the classic aliens will be appearing in the game (which of course isn't true).
    Last edited by Aegeri; 05-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    The media regularly makes complete turds seem like they are going to be great well before coming out. I've yet to read a preview that takes a negative line and points out even obviously fatal problems with a game. For example Lair - if you've never played it the controls of the game were awful and it was absolutely panned on release for its terrible controls. Yet in all the previews was such an incredibly obvious flaw ever pointed out with the game at any point? Hardly ever in any previews, all of the previews of the game were completely glowing and very excited.
    As for this, I'd imagine that it comes down to the integrity of the publisher rather than getting paid of by the developer or whatever. The journalist's job is to give a preview of game at that stage, not a review, that comes later. You can usually tell how excited they really are by the way it's written, and in the case of Lair, it was a game that a lot of people thought had potential. When it was released though, everyone realized that the potential was squandered, but I think that the people writing the glowing previews genuinely thought the game had potential to be good.

    Now I'm not positive, but I don't think that rockpapershotgun has ties to PC Gamer (and I may well be wrong), but promoting the magazine doesn't seem to be self-serving. I think that the enthusiasm is genuine, because they don't have to be enthusiastic, they just have to give a preview.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    You know, I've just noticed the blatant distortion in that statement that was published in the OP. The writer mentioned a sectoid in the context of the article, possibly leading one to assume there would be a sectoid in X-Com, yet we already know from the other articles there are no classic/humanoid aliens appearing in the game. I think he's trying to point out the perceived duplicity in the information that was given.
    Actually, they said "of the two aliens we've seen" (ie: the Titans and the Blobs) which if you read between the lines it may mean that the sectoids will be showing up. They a) have to save material for other articles, b) have probably been told that there are other aliens that they cannot see yet and c) may not be allowed to tell us if they have confirmation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    The media regularly makes complete turds seem like they are going to be great well before coming out. I've yet to read a preview that takes a negative line and points out even obviously fatal problems with a game. For example Lair - if you've never played it the controls of the game were awful and it was absolutely panned on release for its terrible controls. Yet in all the previews was such an incredibly obvious flaw ever pointed out with the game at any point? Hardly ever in any previews, all of the previews of the game were completely glowing and very excited.

    Yet game comes out and the same magazines that gave it glowing previews absolutely panned the game as horrific. My point though is that this was something so immensely obvious you'd have to wonder why nobody seemed to realize "Hey this game controls absolutely horribly" before it was released.

    So I don't really pay much heed to what people paid to hype games in print magazines and try to get people to buy them have to say. When reviews come out and they say that it's really good I'll believe them. Until then I'll make up my own mind based on what I've seen. Bear in mind some people who have proclaimed in this forum to be "huge X-Com nerds" can barely get basic facts about the old games correct.

    This isn't to say people who are X-Com fans (genuine fans) like Fishman at Penny-Arcade is who currently doing a LP of it aren't excited for the game (as he certainly is and doing a LP of the size/length he needs is massive dedication). I am just skeptical of people who have something to directly gain by selling magazines giving an optimistic look and "BUY OUR MAGAZINE!!!" quite frankly. Especially when what he wrote IMO could be interpreted as saying that the preview will be indicating some of the classic aliens will be appearing in the game (which of course isn't true).
    This is entirely a good point, but at the same time previews this early in game development (the equivalent of Hunting the Big Daddy/Big Sister for Bioshock 1/2 early) will eventually be changed. The whole point of a "preview" at this stage is to get the feel. The way I see it, people are getting excited about the potential for it, not because it is a finished product. Yes, we're going to have to wait and see if it lives up to that potential, but a large part of me gets the feeling it may. I'm waiting for Xbox World 360 to get their British mitts on the game before I really start being 100% excited for it - they're one of the few reviewers who tend to stick to their "anticip-o-meter" in their mag, and they're also the people behind Gamesradar, I believe - but everything thus far (including that review that was up the other day before being taken down) seems quite positive.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusionoflife
    Now I'm not positive, but I don't think that rockpapershotgun has ties to PC Gamer (and I may well be wrong),
    You are, Alec Meer wrote the PC gamer article and the one posted on Gamesradar that has been taken down. I would still love to know why that was done.
    Last edited by Aegeri; 05-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    You are, Alec Meer wrote the PC gamer article and the one posted on Gamesradar that has been taken down. I would still love to know why that was done.
    Oh, yeah, I missed that. Sorry, so there may be some self-serving nature there. However, in general, I still think that the lack of criticism in previews is more due to journalistic integrity than self-servient reasons. Like I said, some previews are really enthusiastic and others aren't so much, but the reason you don't often see game journalists pan a game before it's released is because it's bad practice, not because they're getting paid off.

    Hopefully there's more too Alec Meer's enthusiasm than the desire to sell more magazines with his article, but we'll have to wait and see.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by nu_clear_day View Post
    I remember my very first computer was an old DOS 386. This was back before computers even had hard drives, and you needed at least two floppy drives if you intended on saving anything.
    I'm sorry, this is OT, but the nerd in me can't let such an obviously incorrect statement stand.

    386s had hard drives. Before that, 286s had hard drives. Before that, XT machines had hard drives as a standard.

    You have to go back to the original IBM PC before you have a PC computer without a hard drive.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    The media regularly makes complete turds seem like they are going to be great well before coming out. I've yet to read a preview that takes a negative line and points out even obviously fatal problems with a game.
    That's just the nature of the business, though. I mean honestly, is this not a given at this point? It's in the interests of everyone involved to give positive previews (reviews are another matter, and it generally depends on whether you're reading a "hype-machine" magazine or the opinion of an actual gaming "critic.")

    For one, people aren't generally going to pay good money to hear about problems with a game that isn't even finished yet. There are exceptions - I remember hearing about a framerate issue with GTA 4 before that came out, for example. But no one's going to give a preview of a game that they know is going to suck, or at least paint it in that light. In general, the target audience is for people who are looking to get excited about upcoming games.

    As well, the game companies give out demo copies, in general, with the idea that they're going to get at least a relatively positive preview. Otherwise, why bother? A magazine that totally pans a demo version of a company's game probably isn't going to be getting an exclusive first look at the next game that they put out. That just makes sense.

    Even when flaws are pointed out objectively, there's often going to be an attempt to paint the overall game in a positive light. With all due respect, it's a little naive to expect otherwise. With a positive review, everyone is happy - the company gets good PR, the magazine gets a preview of a game that's going to help sell that issue, and the reader gets to get over-hyped about a game that isn't even finished yet.

    I mean, it's called advertising. For every game that comes out, there's a whole team of people whose entire job it is to make sure the target audience hears as many good things about their game as possible. I mean, drinking a Mountain Dew doesn't automatically make we want to go snowboarding; I think most people understand that those commercials do not portray the reality of the actual product so much as send a positive message about the brand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    I'm sorry, this is OT, but the nerd in me can't let such an obviously incorrect statement stand.

    386s had hard drives. Before that, 286s had hard drives. Before that, XT machines had hard drives as a standard.

    You have to go back to the original IBM PC before you have a PC computer without a hard drive.
    Hmm... you're right. Maybe it wasn't a 386, it's been awhile. I do specifically remember not having a hard drive, at least in the traditional sense. (I was pretty young, and most of what I learned about computers at the time was through fixing it.)

    I remember that because I used to have one floppy in the drive to run it, and another disk that was just mine for the saves. And I remember Wing Commander coming out and we decided to get a new computer because my Dad really wanted to play it, but didn't like the thought of having to switch between 12 different disks all the time.
    Last edited by nu_clear_day; 05-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne.
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Actually, they said "of the two aliens we've seen" (ie: the Titans and the Blobs) which if you read between the lines it may mean that the sectoids will be showing up. They a) have to save material for other articles, b) have probably been told that there are other aliens that they cannot see yet and c) may not be allowed to tell us if they have confirmation.
    Actually, there are quotes out there from magazine articles stating that they started out basing their aliens on the old ones but the design process has left nothing recognisable, and that they're aiming for really "alien" aliens. So no sectoids and probably nothing humanoid because, to paraphrase, "They weren't scary enough, people would have preconceptions, and they were too kitschy".

    As for preview hype: Of course they hype games. As I've said before, hype raises interest, interest sells magazines (or raises article views). The thing to do with preview info is read between the lines.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    The thing to do with preview info is read between the lines.
    Quoted For Truth

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    As for preview hype: Of course they hype games. As I've said before, hype raises interest, interest sells magazines (or raises article views). The thing to do with preview info is read between the lines.
    Which I have been doing, but thanks for pointing it out again for me.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne.
    Posts
    1,395
    No worries, the stuff about the preview hype was actually directed at anyone in the thread who was interested in whatever I had to say - probably should have made that clearer than just a paragraph break.

    [EDIT]: Oop, just had a thought:

    Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    I'm sorry, this is OT, but the nerd in me can't let such an obviously incorrect statement stand.

    386s had hard drives. Before that, 286s had hard drives. Before that, XT machines had hard drives as a standard.

    You have to go back to the original IBM PC before you have a PC computer without a hard drive.
    <nerd>"PC Computer" is redundant.</nerd>
    Last edited by Brian Damage; 05-10-2010 at 11:43 PM.

  20. #20
    The point of that blurb is to raise excitement for XCOM and get you to buy an issue of their magazine. It is in there interest to sell you on both products.

    And yes, we are watching a rebranding / trademarking of one of the great games of all time. And I expect the wave of new people thrilled with XCOM will eventually far outweigh the X-com fans. And we'll be then that fringe minority that are looked at as crazies.
    Last edited by Wonderboy2402; 05-11-2010 at 04:46 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne.
    Posts
    1,395
    I'd say 2K were banking on that, but there's quite a few preview articles out there by now and (to use the most handy sample) the majority of people recently joining this forum (and posting) are still of the "Well this looks like an interesting game but how is it X-Com?" and "WTF? We don't want an X-Com shooter!" varieties.

    I'm not sure about the people who mostly just post in the ARG threads. They could be the "promised fans" (in which case you'd expect them to discuss the game in and around the forum more) or they could just be those folks who really love being part of an ARG.
    Last edited by Brian Damage; 05-11-2010 at 03:54 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Supporting 2K Marin AND Bioshock 2
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    the majority of people recently joining this forum (and posting) are still of the "Well this looks like an interesting game but how is it X-Com?" and "WTF? We don't want an X-Com shooter!" varieties.
    the obviousness of that is obvious

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne.
    Posts
    1,395
    Obviously.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    860
    [QUOTE=Wonderboy2402;809793And I expect the wave of new people thrilled with XCOM will eventually far outweigh the X-com fans. And we'll be then that fringe minority that are looked at as crazies.[/QUOTE]

    The day I have to explain to an "XCOM" fan what a chryssalid is will be a dark day indeed.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy2402 View Post
    And yes, we are watching a rebranding / trademarking of one of the great games of all time. And I expect the wave of new people thrilled with XCOM will eventually far outweigh the X-com fans. And we'll be then that fringe minority that are looked at as crazies.
    Nah... it'd have to be an AMAZING game to have anything like the depth and breadth of love that UFO inspires. I think it's pretty insane that 16 years after its release, articles on the game (and this mutant offspring sequel) inspire hundreds of comments on big gaming sites.

    If "XCOM" has that kind of following in 2026 well, I'll be amazed, and it will have been a really great game.

    The very fact that it's being console-ised/FPS-enated almost guarantees that it won't be a classic. How many modern single player FPS games are genuinely regarded as such? Half Life 2, maybe, and...?

    More likely scenario: in a couple of years this game is largely forgotten, and the UFO/X-COM army will be as strong as ever.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Supporting 2K Marin AND Bioshock 2
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    (and this mutant offspring sequel)
    let's give the game a chance before we decide to call it names,shall we? Sure, game ''B'' here doesn't sound or seem like it's predecessor game ''A'',but let's let the game hit the shelves and see how much success or lack-thereof it has before slandering it

    More likely scenario: in a couple of years this game is largely forgotten, and the UFO/X-COM army will be as strong as ever.
    Likely scenario #2: Some of the people that have complained about this game on this forum buy it and like it and in future years it becomes one of the more remembered games of its time

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne.
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    let's give the game a chance before we decide to call it names,shall we? Sure, game ''B'' here doesn't sound or seem like it's predecessor game ''A'',but let's let the game hit the shelves and see how much success or lack-thereof it has before slandering it
    I've gotta disagree with you here, we shouldn't hold off on discussing this game and the direction it's going in while we quite possibly still have the ear of the developers. Waiting until the game comes out will be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

    Likely scenario #2: Some of the people that have complained about this game on this forum buy it and like it and in future years it becomes one of the more remembered games of its time
    Not sure the latter necessarily follows from the former, there.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    Likely scenario #2: Some of the people that have complained about this game on this forum buy it and like it and in future years it becomes one of the more remembered games of its time
    Possible, sure; but likely? Really, now... If nothing else; if it's too early dismiss the game out-of-hand, then it's certainly too early to say that it has a likelihood of usurping the original games in the hearts and minds of it's fans.

    And just in general - yeah, it's about ten years to early to be deciding whether or not this reboot is going to ever be considered a "classic."

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Addict L View Post
    let's give the game a chance before we decide to call it names,shall we? Sure, game ''B'' here doesn't sound or seem like it's predecessor game ''A'',but let's let the game hit the shelves and see how much success or lack-thereof it has before slandering it



    Likely scenario #2: Some of the people that have complained about this game on this forum buy it and like it and in future years it becomes one of the more remembered games of its time
    Fat chance i'm gonna like it.

    The 50's and blobotovs are the deal breakers for me. I might like it as a generic game, but certainly not something worth praising.

    XCOM will be a financial success...i guarantee you that. I don't know why anyone doubts that? The real fans who want something X-Com are few and it's likely they're gonna boycott this one. The huge hyped masses will buy it.
    And that's whats really all about. It's been like this since 2003 and getting worse. The day publishers realized that casual gamers are a huge market.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCent View Post
    The real fans who want something X-Com are few and it's likely they're gonna boycott this one.
    "Boycott" is one of those highly over-used words that always pop up on forums, and that rarely apply to the reality of the situation. "Boycott" implies an organized and determined mass movement to affect a change through the basic rules of capitalism.

    And "boycotts" have never had any impact on a videogame, despite nearly every game in recent memory having some group that feels like that's what they're doing.

    There's a difference between making an informed decision not to purchase something, because it doesn't suit your personal standards for things you spend your money; and participating in a boycott. Pretty much every time I come across it in usage like we have here, it's just an attempt to inject more drama into the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCent View Post
    The huge hyped masses will buy it.
    And that's whats really all about. It's been like this since 2003 and getting worse. The day publishers realized that casual gamers are a huge market.
    No, it's been like this since Pong. Which kind of makes the industry like every other mass-market popular culture medium out there. I've already gone into this at length in (heck, I think it was this very thread,) so I really don't feel like repeating it all over again.

    Again -I'm as ambiguous about this XCom reboot as anyone. To me, a good metaphor is: I'm stranded in the desert, dying of thirst. Suddenly, my cell-phone rings - "Great," I think "I'm finally in cellphone range, surely rescue is on it's way." But instead it turns out to be a recorded message telling me I've won a year's supply of gourmet coffee. Sure, I like coffee, and on it's own that's a good thing to have. But it's still got little to do with what my actual needs and wants at the time are; and it would be something I might actually have been looking forward to if I also happened to have a bottle of cold clear water with me...

    This isn't a reboot that I want. I might not even be particularly interested in it. And I think some bitterness is understandable (I kind of spent mine about a week after hearing about this, but different people will respond differently.) But let's not make this into anything other than what it is, either...

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by nu_clear_day View Post
    "Boycott" is one of those highly over-used words that always pop up on forums, and that rarely apply to the reality of the situation. "Boycott" implies an organized and determined mass movement to affect a change through the basic rules of capitalism.

    And "boycotts" have never had any impact on a videogame, despite nearly every game in recent memory having some group that feels like that's what they're doing.

    There's a difference between making an informed decision not to purchase something, because it doesn't suit your personal standards for things you spend your money; and participating in a boycott. Pretty much every time I come across it in usage like we have here, it's just an attempt to inject more drama into the situation.
    I've noted that even if fans won't buy it it will have no impact. "Boycott" is just an appropriate and dramatic way to express my dissatisfaction.
    Like i've said at least twice before...i will not buy the full priced game, not that it will make any difference to them, but i'll have my consciousness clean and save some money.

    No, it's been like this since Pong. Which kind of makes the industry like every other mass-market popular culture medium out there. I've already gone into this at length in (heck, I think it was this very thread,) so I really don't feel like repeating it all over again.
    I think not. In my opinion, games till the 90' were mostly shallow, quick, fun. After the 90's they started to become more in depth. The line between gamers and non gamers was greatly defined. Even the different consoles were mostly aimed at gamers. After 2000 everything started to become more user friendly, the line between gamers and non-gamers got diluted. Now companies started to develop software for a broader range of consumers.
    Even the famous Half-Life 2 suffered a bit from it.

    I'm not saying that companies didn't like money back then. Of course they did, but what they perceived as their market was better defined back then, and they didn't exactly expect the millions they're getting for games today. Everything was more of a niche.

    The ESRB began in 1994, because games started to become "more" than just something you play at an arcade. And it wasn't until the 2000 that the ESRB rating was something worth talking about. A lot of people didn't know about it, a lot didn't care and it was not even thrown in our face as often as it is now. Today more than ever, games have become so invested in that rarely anybody dares to venture out of the established borders.
    I've stopped being a gamer after...I think it was Half-life 2. Nowadays i just stop to play one or maybe two games per year. Some years even none at all.
    The gaming industry has become so bland i'm not that interested anymore.

  32. #32
    Alphacent ..you are indeed showing your age.. hah.. don’t worry though, I completely understand your frustration at the current state of games. It begins to feel like most games these days are directed by Michael Bay with ‘big Xtreme’ explosions to keep those with short attention spans entertained.

    I’m waiting to see details from E3 and I’m sure that’s why any articles relating to its finer details have been removed. They want to surprise and ‘wow’ us with what’s on offer. I’m still unconvinced of trying to represent X-COM within the context of an FPS though. It essentially boils down to this being an action game. You move your mouse cursor (sorry… console controller) ..press a button and the jobs done. That isn’t strategy. That isn’t tactical. It is reactionary and reflex based.

    I do get the feeling 2K just chose the lazy route of churning out yet another FPS.

    Again..as many have said and many continue to ignore what is said – the end product may be fun and playable.. but it isn’t in line with what made the originals great… which equates to a colossal waste of a remarkable IP. Sort of like inheriting CERN, but only using it to see pretty lights shoot around a giant doughnut.

    But this studio only can do what is does… make FPS’s. Don’t look for anything further from it. You wont find it. I’ve come to terms with that. 2k simply can’t make it happen.

    But all is not lost.. If Firaxis can get their hot little hands on the IP, we’re home free. And this is a possibility – and has been suggested it’s already in the making.

    And like some old crusty band releasing album after album that is a massive departure from their previous work, it will at least prompt some of the new school to venture into the back catalogue to check out exactly what exactly was X-com..or was that 'Kill em All'?
    Last edited by BandofGypsies; 05-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.

  33. #33

    good points!

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Nah... it'd have to be an AMAZING game to have anything like the depth and breadth of love that UFO inspires. I think it's pretty insane that 16 years after its release, articles on the game (and this mutant offspring sequel) inspire hundreds of comments on big gaming sites.

    If "XCOM" has that kind of following in 2026 well, I'll be amazed, and it will have been a really great game.

    The very fact that it's being console-ised/FPS-enated almost guarantees that it won't be a classic. How many modern single player FPS games are genuinely regarded as such? Half Life 2, maybe, and...?

    More likely scenario: in a couple of years this game is largely forgotten, and the UFO/X-COM army will be as strong as ever.
    excellent summary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •