Thread: Is Civ 5 going to be LAN enabled?

Is Civ 5 going to be LAN enabled?

Huge fan of lan games.
    nothing is better than TV, a board game, and conquering the world via Civ LAN all in the company of your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Duke View Post
    Huge fan of lan games.
    nothing is better than TV, a board game, and conquering the world via Civ LAN all in the company of your friends
    I actually asked 2KGreg about this exact thing because I love having a good Civ LAN party (with some Axis&Allies board games mixed in for between Civ turns). I was especially worried about how the installation, etc. would work since I have zero experience with Steam. Here's what he sent back to me:

When your friends come over for a LAN party, they will indeed need to log into their own Steam accounts in order to play together (or you could log them in to a secondary/tertiary account of your own; I have a second Steam account with a couple games on it that I use for guests at LAN parties.)

You CAN use your own account to install the game on all of your machines in preparation for the LAN party. You could even run it on your account on all of those computers (but not simultaneously) without worry because Civ V will have no activation/install limits.

You can even install it on just one of the machines, and then copy the appropriate folder from the "steamapps" subdirectory to all of your other computers, which may often be quicker than installing from optical media.
    So it sounds like even for LAN parties, we'll have to run the multi through the Steamworks software (at least for the DRM side of things). Hopefully, it'll be possible to still have it all on the local LAN to minimize any lag.

Hope that helps answer your question!

yes, thanks

why exactly do yiu think it wouldnt be possible? have you been listening to any of te steam threads? most of them are just bull****.