Thread: Issue: Games for Windows Live crashes Bioshock.

Issue: Games for Windows Live crashes Bioshock.

I recently purchased Bioshock 2 on steam, and downloaded it through their system, and installed it on my computer. After registering and giving it the CDkey it required, I tried to play it. It asked me to sign in to "Games for Windows Live".

At first I told it no, I'd just play without saving. Made it all the way up and past Tenenbaum at the ticket booth too in a single marathon session. So I decide to save, and open up the save. It asks me to sign in to "Games for Windows Live" again. I try again, and it crashes.

I reload the game back up and try again, trying to sign into "Games for Windows Live", and the game simply crashes again. Every time I try to sign in to "Games for Windows Live", it will say "Signing in", for a few minutes then crash. Or in a few cases it will sign in successfully, but as soon as I press the option for single player, the game will crash.

I tried deleting the game and reinstalling it from scratch, updating "Games for Windows Live", but so far nothing works.

And by crashing I mean it says: Bioshock 2 has encountered a fatal error and must close," with the usual options for sending a report to microsoft. Which I always tell it yes.

My technical specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046 MB ram

Display
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Video Memory: 512 MB
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8208 (English)
    Driver Date: 2/18/2009 14:44:00

Sound
    Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Audio [C8C0]
    Version: 6.00.0001.1371
    Driver Date: 6/23/2009 14:36:24

see next thread down (SP error CTD ) - pretty much the same issue - demand a fix or a refund from steam.

if steam get enough complaints / refund requests then maybe they will get their act together, or take the game off sale.
    Last edited by cybmole; 06-28-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Not the fault of Steam

The problem isn't inherently with the Steam service, it's basically because of the Games for Windows LIVE service. More to the point, because GFWL requires you to LOGIN to save your games. Why? Don't ask me (for Extras content or other "Marketplace" BS they wan't to throw at you). I know I'm hatin' on LIVE, but in this case I feel I have a good reason. This game would run perfectly fine through Steam (and retail CD) if it wasn't for the mandatory GFWL crap.

I've spent over an hour reading forums and troubleshooting the problem and I've found my own solution:
    1. You have to login to GFWL
    2. You have to run ANY updates to the game through GFWL (so you better be logged in with an account that has administrator privileges on your computer)
    3. Restart game.

The problem with the crashing was fixed by the patch (by the way the patch looked like it was only for GFWL and not BioShock 2 because the BS 2 version remained the same - in other words it WAS GFWL that was causing the crashing) but it's only distributed by GFWL, and not through Steam.

Has GFWL stream lined my user experience? No.

Do I think it's a more friendly experience than Steam? No. They're just forcing me to use it. WHY DO I NEED TO LOGIN TO LIVE TO SAVE GAMES! ARE THEY TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE DISLIKE GFWL! What is the MS marketing guys even thinking here?

Microsoft tries so hard to edge into other markets, but more often than not when they succeed, the product is plagued with more problems that frustrate the user and then they force the user to have no other choice.

Steam is a great distribution service and community. They do a much better job than MS here. The only thing MS has done, is to make me inclined to avoid GFWL games in the future.

I had this issue when I tried to play Bioshock 2 when my internet connection was down for several hours.

Attempting and failing to log in to Live somehow corrupted the files. From then on the game crashed repeatedly whenever attempting to log in to Live.

I fixed this issue by doing the following steps:

(1) Make sure you have the latest Games for Windows Live client installed:

Go to your Control Panel=>Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the following existing programs:

& Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE
    & Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable

Download and install the latest version from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

It will install both.

::

(2) Visit the saved games folder for Bioshock 2:

C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\Bioshock2\SaveGames

You are using XP so the path in your case will be slightly different. Search for "Bioshock2" folder under "My Documents".

Clear any save files that are of 1 KB size. Also clear the "Autosave" subfolder. It likely got corrupted.

c) Restart Bioshock 2, log in to Games for Windows Live, try to play the game, try to save the game.

You should be fine.