Thread: Special Abilities?

Special Abilities?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but do we know what any of the civ special abilities actually do yet? I'm quite curious.

It would also be cool if somebody could explain where some of them come from. "Father Governs Children' for Siam is one that leaves me totally clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by wingednosering View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but do we know what any of the civ special abilities actually do yet? I'm quite curious.

It would also be cool if somebody could explain where some of them come from. "Father Governs Children' for Siam is one that leaves me totally clueless.
    Im pretty sure they didnt want to tel labout that in one of the previews I have read.they did give an example of a scrapped one though, where a civ would use forests as roads.

Cool, that makes it seem like they're going to be real boosts that change gameplay instead of something lame like "5% increase to ship movement" or something.

Can we make any educated guesses based off of the names? "River Warlord" for the Songhai sounds promising. I love basing myself along rivers in civ 4.

Manifest Destiny was a term used by Americans to justify their Imperialism. Essentially it meant Americans were destined to build their country from "sea to shining sea" on the continent. I don't remember too much about it other than that it was particularly significant during Polk's presidency. It could be used in Civilization 5 for quicker cultural accumulation, offensive bonuses, or city assimilation bonuses (example: conquered cities become more % American quickly).

Trade caravans for the Arabs are pretty self-explanatory. The Middle East was a great nexus of trade. Arab merchants traded goods from the East to the West and made a lot of profit off of doing so. In Civilization 5 it will probably entail increased income from trading.

Aztec sacrificial captives are again pretty self-explanatory. I'm 90% certain it will be a military perk in Civilization 5. It could result in greater promotions, greater experience accumulation, or even increased happiness in cities when capturing or/and destroying enemy battalions.

The Art of War was a treatise written by Sun Tzu that is widely read today. While on the surface the term "art of war" would imply a military bonus, the treatise itself often urged diplomatic conciliation, use of espionage or other subterfuge rather than outright force. Therefore I think it could really have a wide range of different effects in Civilization 5.

England's Sun Never Sets UP refers to the broadness of Britain's eventual territory. While the sun might have gone down in England, it was up in other parts of the British Empire due to differing time zones. Thus, the "sun never set" on the British Empire, the largest Empire in the world. I think this one will have something to do with city management. It could result in reductions of unhappiness and upkeep in conquered cities. It could result in less unhappiness and upkeep in "colony" cities, i.e. cities not on the same continent as England's capital. It could result in both.

The Ottoman barbary corsairs perk has to do with a number of states in North Africa that were nominally vassals of the Ottoman Empire (though later became semi-autonomous). These states made income off of what essentially amounted to rampant piracy and enslavement. For a time under Suleiman they dominated the Mediterranean in the service of the Turks. Oddly this seems like it will be a naval perk, which is an unusual association to make with the Ottomans. Nevertheless, it is true that there was a time when Ottoman ships completely dominated the Mediterranean, largely thanks to the efforts of privateers.

Songhai's river warlord interests me the most though. I'd really like to know if that means no combat penalty when crossing rivers or if the perk grants increased military production bonuses from building cities on rivers. Maybe it means both! I like this one because it is a rather unusual one with lots of potential.
    Last edited by SlickSlicer; 07-09-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingednosering View Post
    America - Manifest Destiny:
    Basically what SlickSlicer said, prolly an expansion bonus, I think, but maybe culture.

Arabia - Trade Caravans:
    Again, what SlickSlicer said.

Aztec - Sacrificial Captives:
    What SlickSlicer said, again, haha. Maybe it allows you to capture enemy units and make them your own. Or maybe less war weariness.

China - Art of War:
    What SlickSlicer said.

Egypt - Monument Builders:
    This term doesn't have a true historical reference, I don't think, it's just that the Egyptians built huge, significant monuments, including the pyramids, which by far surpassed any other architecture at the time. That said, I'd say its a production bonus most likely, maybe for wonders, or something like it.

England - Sun Never Sets:
    What SlickSlicer said. Lower maintenance costs for cities, which allows for further expansion, I'd say.

France - Ancien Regime:
    This was the aristocratic system before the French revolution, and it lasted from roughly the 14th to 18th centuries, but I am almost at a loss for what bonus it might give... Just since it's Napoleon's civ the most logical one would be a military bonus, but that would be stupid as the term has nothing to do with war. A culture bonus would be my best guess, as France's culture did shine at times under the system, especially under the sun king.

Germany - Furor Teutonicus:
    This was a term the Romans used to refer to the fierceness of the Germanic tribes in general, more specifically the Teutons. It has nothing to do with modern day Germany though, but whatever. Because of it's meaning, I'd guess it would be a military bonus, though I'd say some science bonus would be much more fitting for the Germans.

Greece - Hellenic League:
    This is probably in reference to the association of some Greek city-states in ancient times, maybe the ones that defeated the Persian attacks. I'd say it has a military defense bonus, even if offence would be more fitting for Alexander, in my opinion.

India - Population Growth:
    Self explanatory. Growth, maybe health bonus.

Iroquois - The Great Warpath:
    The Great Indian Warpath was a bunch of trails in the modern day US, used by the natives for trade, mainly, I think. This might be a movement bonus trough forests, or less maintenance cost associated with roads, but that would be almost stupid.

Japan - Bushido:
    Bushido, in Japanese, means the Way of the Warrior, or something like that. This was basically a code of conduct for samurai, so I'm guessing this could be a military bonus.

Ottoman - Barbary Corsairs:
    What SlickSlicer said.

Persia - Archaemenid Legacy:
    The Persian Empire is sometimes referred to as the Archaemenid Empire, so I guess the term refers to the legacy of the empire. I guess this could be a culture bonus, as culture leaves legacy, basically.

Rome - The Glory of Rome:
    Self explanatory, but this could be anything, as the Romans were famous for a lot. Maybe a city growth, empire management, military, or science, even culture bonus.

Russia - Siberian Riches:
    There's a lot of gold, oil, and what not in Siberia, a part of Russia, which makes for a lot of riches. I think this is most likely to be a commerce bonus, which I think goes well with Russia, as it allows for a huge empire, atleast in civ IV terms.

Siam - Father Governs Children:
    I think historians used this term for the intimacy once in the rule of the Siam Empire, where people could take their problems directly to the king. The most logical bonus would be happiness.

Songhai - River Warlord:
    The Songhai empire was basically built around the Niger River, so I think this has some reference to that. Maybe a military bonus with relation to rivers.

They have told us Rome's. Basically if a building exists in your capital, then all other cities get a 20% production bonus for that building.

Quote Originally Posted by Procylon View Post
    They have told us Rome's. Basically if a building exists in your capital, then all other cities get a 20% production bonus for that building.
    Sounds questionable. Source?

I forget which preview article it was in, but Procylon's description of The Glory of Rome is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyrwyn View Post
    I forget which preview article it was in, but Procylon's description of The Glory of Rome is correct.
    Surely he means that the buildings are built 20% faster if it exists already in the capital, not that the building gives a 20% production bonus.
    Last edited by VainApocalypse; 07-10-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VainApocalypse View Post
    Surely he means that the buildings are built 20% faster if it exists already in the capital, not that the building gives a 20% production bonus.
    You misread what I said. A 20% production bonus on that building means you build it 20% faster.

I do not understand too why French spetial ability is "Ancien Régime", with Napoleon as a leader and muuketeer as one of the spetial units, with these features the leader should be Louis XIV, or change musqueteers by the Imperial Guard, and the "Ancien regime" by the "Premier Empire".
    Last edited by Viguier; 07-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Why do you assume that the leader, the UU/UBs, and the special ability for each civilization must be from the same exact time in history?

Quite a few of the civilizations have multiple time periods represented throughout their special units/bonuses/leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Procylon View Post
    You misread what I said. A 20% production bonus on that building means you build it 20% faster.
    Yeah, but you could read that two different ways.

I wonder if the special abilities are going to be tied to the leader or to the civ itself, i.e. will the inclusion of new leaders for the existing civs in the expansion packs and DLC come with new abilities. I hope they are attached to the leaders, although as others have mentioned the abilities of some civs (e.g. Germany) apply more to the civ than to the leader, so they'd probably be attached to the civs. Does anyone know if there's been any mention of this by the devs?

Quote Originally Posted by Xetal View Post
    Why do you assume that the leader, the UU/UBs, and the special ability for each civilization must be from the same exact time in history?

Quite a few of the civilizations have multiple time periods represented throughout their special units/bonuses/leaders.
    I understand what do you mean, but there is a kind of contradiction between Napoleon and the Ancien Régime, it's like if the Leader of Russia was Stalin and the Russian ability the Perestroika, and I do not reject the foreign legion. I say that because the leader will use this spetial ability.

Look at some of the other examples:

Washington was dead before Manifest Destiny existed.

Oda Nobunaga and the Zero fighter are seperated by like 400 years.

Ghandi has a special military unit (which in itself is humorous), and the unit was used hundreds of years before he was born.

Otto Von Bismark was ~40 years in the ground before the first Panzer was put into service.

I think the idea is that the leader, the UU and UBs, and the special ability are things of great importance and that define the civilization. They aren't necessarily things from the same time period as each other.

Indeed, but it's not the question, because I am not oppose to that all the unit are not in the same era, as I said, I think the Forein Legion is a good idea, It is just there is a contradiction between Napoleon and the Ancient Regime, because Napoleon is link to the disparition of it, so it should be strange if he uses it.

Because even if Washington was dead before Manifest Destiny existed, he is ndirectly link to his aparition, and even if Nobunaga was probably oposed to the gunpowder as many samourais, Zero's pilot claimed to be link to the Bushido, as many Japaneses soldier during WWII, they are so link to Nobunaga, it's a "logical" continuatiuon of their ideas and policies.

Yes: if the building has already been built in Rome, you will build that same building faster in your other cities.

Ok, many of the special abilities are now known. here is info from Arioch web-site:

The Glory of Rome (Rome): +25% production towards any buildings that already exist in the Capital.
    The Great Warpath (Iroquois): Units spend only 1 Movement Point entering any tile with a Forest.
    Manifest Destiny (America): All land military units have +1 sight range, 25% discount when purchasing tiles.
    Trade Caravans (Arabia): +1 gold from each Trade Route, and Oil resources provide double quantity.
    Sacrificial Captives (Aztecs): gains Culture for the empire from each enemy unit killed.
    Art of War (China): Effectiveness and spawn rate of Great Generals increased
    Monument Builders (Egypt): +20% production towards Wonder construction.
    Sun Never Sets (England): +2 movement for all naval units.
    Ancien Regime (France): +1 culture per turn from Cities before discovering Steam Power.
    Furor Teutonicus (Germany): Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, there is a 50% chance you earn 25 gold and they join your side.
    Hellenic League (Greece): City-State influence degrades at half rate and recovers and twice normal rate.
    Population Growth (India): Unhappiness from number of cities doubled, Unhappiness from number of Citizens halved.

From first look, we can say that some of the abilities seem to be far more powerful then others.

*Rome and Egypt have very usefull abilities for any game scenario.
    *Arabia has great ability, especially for late-game war.
    *America has a good expanding potential.
    *England will still be THE civilization on islands maps Controlling the seas with theis special unit + early assaults, since embarks will have +2 movement!! Its just awesome.
    *Greece will be everyone's friend.
    *India will benefit from small empires, where every city occupies all 37 tiles. Very powerful on small maps.
    *Germany's ability is total crap, unless you somehow will manage to ALWAYS keep an are with fog of war near your borders, then wait for barb camp appear to go and get you a "free" unit. This sounds difficult.

I am excited about all other abilities. Any thoughts guys?
    Last edited by RomanKnight; 07-26-2010 at 08:09 PM.

RomanKnight

I'm really excited but where did you get that list? Can you give us a weblink? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaCode View Post
    RomanKnight

I'm really excited but where did you get that list? Can you give us a weblink? Thanks in advance.
    There is a brilliant web site created by guy named Arioch, who gathered all available info about civ. He usually prooves the info with screenshots.

Civilization V Analyst Page

RomanKnight

Wow, the website is great. Thanks so much for giving me the link. I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much Arioch for making this website. Absolutely great detail and I really appreciate. It's just beautiful to see. Everybody needs to see your site.
    Last edited by EnigmaCode; 07-26-2010 at 09:16 PM.

It is a great site, but I'm confused about something. When it says, for example, that the Frigate has a range attack of 15 and a range of 2 tiles, what does that mean? What's the difference between a "range attack" and a "range"?

Liberal

You have to remember that all units now are limited to one hex (1UpH). To compensate for this, Firaxis added a "ranged attack" to some units. This allows units to attack other units 2-6 hexes away for example.

If a unit (such as the frigate) has a ranged attack of 15 and a range of 2, that means that the frigate has an attack of 15. The range denotes how far the attack can travel (the attacks maximum range). So a range of 2 means that the unit can attack an enemy from 2 hexes away.

That's what I think. I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by EnigmaCode; 07-27-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Liberal

You have to remember that all units now are limited to one hex (1UpH). To compensate for this, Firaxis added a "ranged attack" to some units. This allows units to attack other units 2-6 hexes away for example.

If a unit (such as the frigate) has a ranged attack of 15 and a range of 2, that means that the frigate can attack units at a maximum of 15 hexes away. The range denotes how far the unit can travel. So a range of 2 means that the unit can move 2 hexes.

15 tiles away?! Maybe its attack is 15, shooting across half the ocean FTW?

Liberal

If a unit (such as the frigate) has a ranged attack of 15 and a range of 2, that means that the frigate can attack units at a maximum of 15 hexes away. The range denotes how far the unit can travel. So a range of 2 means that the unit can move 2 hexes.

This means that Ranged attack (bombard) strength is 15 and it can bombard up to 2 tiles away.

Quote Originally Posted by saksingj View Post
    This means that Ranged attack (bombard) strength is 15 and it can bombard up to 2 tiles away.
    Oh lol. I totally mistyped what I meant to say. Thank you for spotting my error. I will edit my post accordingly.

I have no idea what I was thinking of when I typed the OP. I hope I didn't confuse anyone, and I would like to say that this a mea culpa on my part.
    Last edited by EnigmaCode; 07-27-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Duplicate.
    Last edited by Liberal; 07-27-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: duplicate

Four Hail Marys and an Our Father should take care of it, EnigmaCode.

ETA

Thanks to you, saksingj, and Akar.

It is an interesting site, and some of the things on it (unique abilities) are pretty thought provoking.

What do you guys think about Germany's ability? How did the developers plan to make German special ability usefull in games, where barbarians are turned off?

Also Aztecs have a very interesting ability. If culture becomes as important as they say, Aztecs will become the biggest warmonger in the game. Killing units will give them culture to adopt policies and buy new land --> expand, build new units, kill more units --> buy more land and so on...

Another interesting strategy concernes Elizabeth. When liz wants to attack someone, she will actually benefit from attacking from sea. Units movement on land is mostly 1-2 per turn. (1 if there is a hill/forest). With the new embarking ability and Sun Never Sets they will gain 2+x(whatever the number of movement points they will have on sea) movement points. Basicly it means they ll move twice as fast on sea as on land, enabling them to surprise enemies, move forces behind enemy lines etc.

That has always been the beauty of this game for me, and it's why the end game is so tedious. It's a game of decisions from the very start, including what civ you will choose. The end game is tedious only because all major decisions have been made (assuming you're winning).