Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 589

Thread: Civ5 Official Steamworks FAQ

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273

    Exclamation Civ5 Official Steamworks FAQ

    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ. There has been a lot of discussion about Civilization V's Steamworks integration, and the same questions (and in some cases, false answers) keep coming up.

    This should help clear up the most common (and some more obscure) questions about what Steamworks integration means for Civilization V.



    Q. Can I play Civilization V while not connected to the Internet?
    A. Yes. After you have activated your installation by launching the game once while connected to the Internet, you may restart Steam in “offline mode.” This will allow you to have access to Civilization V even while not connected to the Internet. Details on how to use offline mode are available on this Steam Support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555


    Q. Will I need to run Steam every time I want to play Civilization V?
    A. Steam will need to run when you play Civilization V, but an Internet connection is not required after the initial installation.


    Q. How big will the Civilization V download be?
    A. Civilization V is a little over 4gb in size. The Digital Deluxe edition contains an extra 1gb of content.


    Q. Will Civilization V use the Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) system?
    A. No, we are not using VAC. This means that nothing you do in Civilization V would cause you to become VAC-banned, nor will a VAC-ban cause you to be unable to play Civilization V multiplayer.


    Q. When using offline mode, will I need to periodically reconnect to the Internet?
    A. No. Once you switch to offline mode you can stay in that mode forever. The one exception is that if you significantly change your computer’s hardware, you will need to switch to online mode and launch the game one time to reactivate the game. There is, unfortunately, no way for software to tell the difference between a change in hardware and a move to a completely new computer, which is why this happens.


    Q. If I use a personal firewall to block all network traffic to and from the Steam client, will Civilization V still function?
    A. If you have already configured Steam to run in offline mode, then yes. It would cause Steam to function as if you had no Internet connection at all, which works fine once you are in offline mode.


    Q. Will it be possible to get any required updates and patches on another computer to transfer via thumbdrive, or will they be only accessible via the computer the game is installed on?
    A. Patches will only be available to download via Steam. However, Steam does provide a method for backing up a game installation to restore on the same or different computer. You could use this feature to download a new version of Civilization V on a friend’s faster Internet connection and then transfer it to your computer via a thumb drive. After restoring the backup, you will need to connect to the Internet once to validate the new version.
    Details of how to use this feature are on the Steam Support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8794-YPHV-2033


    Q. Will it be possible to play multiplayer via LAN when running Steam in offline mode?
    A. Yes, LAN play functions when in offline mode.


    Q. Will things like the steam community be fully integrated into the game's interface or will you be relying on the overlay to provide functionality like chat and friends lists?
    A. The in-game browser, friend list, friend invites, and some other features are embedded within the Steam overlay. However, the mod library and in-game chat during multiplayer matches are integrated directly in to the game.


    Q. What personally identifiable information does Valve collect with Steam?
    A. The only information players are required to provide is a valid email address and a password, and to verify they are older than 13 years of age. All other information at registration time is optional. Valve does track the time spent playing a game, per account, but does not collect information about what other processes are running concurrently on the computer. A player’s profile can be set to hidden, which prevents other people from seeing that player’s playtime statistics. These statistics are also recorded while in offline mode, and are transmitted the next time you connect in online mode. Crash logs do sometimes collect extra information such as what processes were running at the time of the crash, and these logs contain your Steam ID for tech support to use.


    Q. If I have a game of Civilization V running on my desktop at home (in online mode) and I log onto Steam on my laptop elsewhere, what happens?
    A. Your Steam account at home would become disconnected. Your home machine will not be able to access any online or community features until you reconnect to Steam.


    Q. If I install a mod from a third party website, will Steam need to “validate” the mod in any way?
    A. No. Mods will not be validated by Steam, and you will not need to switch steam to online mode in order to play a new mod.


    Q. When Steam auto-patches Civilization V, will mods cease to function until they are updated for the new patch?
    A. We do not review mods so we can’t speak to the effect patches may have on every mod’s functionality. At the same time, ensuring that our platform remains stable and backward-compatible is a priority. As always, as I get more info, I’ll update you.


    Q. How will Steam know that I bought a boxed copy of the game?
    A. The box contains a product code that you use to register your purchase to your Steam account. The box also contains a disc that contains the data files for the entire game. When you install from this disc, it will install Steam if necessary and then place all of the game files on to your hard drive, negating the need to download the game from the Internet.


    Q. Should I be concerned about where I buy the game from, when it comes to compatibility with future expansions or content?
    A. One of the advantages of using Steamworks is that no matter where you buy the game from, you can be sure that it’ll be compatible with any future content released.


    Q. Is there a limit to the number of times/computers you can install Civilization V?
    A. There is no limit to the number of times and different computers on which you can install Civilization V.


    Q. Is it possible to stop Steam from automatically patching Civilization V?
    A. The only way to ensure your game is not updated is to play in offline mode. If you are in online mode your game will be automatically updated.


    Q. Will it be possible to make a copy of the installation directory for the purposes of having multiple versions of Civilization V available to play?
    A. No, this is not possible.


    Q. What is the possibility of a version of Civilization V being released that does not contain Steamworks integration?
    A. Much of Civilization V’s framework is built around Steamworks. There are no current plans to ever release a version without that integration.


    Q. What happens if my Steam account is hacked or stolen? Would this enable someone to steal the game from me completely electronically? How would I prove it was stolen?
    A. Valve has a support page detailing how to recover a stolen/hijacked Steam account. You will need to provide some sort of proof of ownership of the account. The details can be found at this support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2347-QDFN-4366 – note that if Civilization V is the only game you have registered to your Steam account and you bought a boxed copy, you should be sure to save the original product key to use as proof of ownership.


    Q. Considering the fact that Steam is now available for Mac and many games are being offered as SteamPlay, will Civilization V be coming to the Mac?
    A. All Civilization titles have had a Mac version in the past, but we unfortunately have nothing to currently announce for Civ V. Stay tuned in the future!


    Q. How do I view all registered extras (like map packs) associated with my Steam account?
    A. Here is a Steam Support page which details how to view all extras associated with a game: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2668-CFOM-1881


    Q. Do customers need to download or install any other 3rd party program besides Steam to authenticate or install or play Civilization V?
    A. The game will detect and install the required version of DirectX when you launch it for the first time.
    Last edited by 2K Greg; 09-21-2010 at 09:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Q. Is it possible to stop Steam from automatically patching Civilization V?
    A. The only way to ensure your game is not updated is to play in offline mode. If you are in online mode your game will be automatically updated.
    If I may make this correction, it is possible to stop Steam from automatically updating specific games. You simply need to access the Games Library, right click on the desired game, proceed to Properties and under the Updates tab there will be a drop-down menu associated with automatic updates.
    Last edited by VainApocalypse; 07-26-2010 at 10:04 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by VainApocalypse View Post
    If I may make this correction, it is possible to stop Steam from automatically updating specific games. You simply need to access the Games Library, right click on the desired game, proceed to Properties and under the Updates tab there will be a drop-down menu associated with automatic updates.
    Even if you do that, once you try to launch the game, it will start downloading the patch and not allow you to play until the patching is complete.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    352
    Hey Greg, I'm quite sure you would prevent a lot of further threads
    being started if this FAQ would become sticky.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by KayTeEm View Post
    Hey Greg, I'm quite sure you would prevent a lot of further threads
    being started if this FAQ would become sticky.
    I'm not that optimistic, but this should definitely be sticky. At the very least, it will save me lots of typing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    994
    Agreed. Slowtarget has been a powerhouse of information, and has the patience of Job. Many kudos to him (and others as well). Please sticky this thread. And thanks, 2K Greg for compiling this all in one place. Thanks very much.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bletchley Park, 1940
    Posts
    1,290
    Thanks a lot for compiling all this information Greg. This (as said before) will save people (specifically slowtarget) a lot of time from having to type replies to people's questions about Steam.

    I also agree that this should be a sticky.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Very disappoointed

    I have been an avid Civ player for years. The decision to use Steam has really disappointed me as a user. I will unfortunately not purchase this program specifically because of this decision. There are very limited ways for users like myself to express our frustration and I realize that nothing will come of it, but I think it is valuable for the team to understand why.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks for the reminder to make it a sticky guys

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Q. Will things like the steam community be fully integrated into the game's interface or will you be relying on the overlay to provide functionality like chat and friends lists?
    A. The in-game browser, friend list, friend invites, and some other features are embedded within the Steam overlay. However, the mod library and in-game chat during multiplayer matches are integrated directly in to the game.
    Thanks for the FAQ Greg, but I have a question I'm hoping you can get clarification on, it relates to what is in the steam overlay and what is in the game interface.

    Over at CivPlayers we are having a discussion on the issue of players changing names, and whether or not you can tell exactly who is joining your game.

    I seems, sadly, that Steam allows players to change their display name, aka the "persona" in steam lingo. Which would be all fine except that Steam doesn't display the players real profile name or the players steam ID number in the public players profile page. In fact there is even no limit to the names you can use, so you can infact impersonate any other players name.

    This may not be an issue for casual gamers, but for all the many MP leagues, and it seems from the amount of hits on google for "how to see a steam 64bit ID number" this has been a huge issue for the organized MP communities that play steam games.

    Now I have discovered that it is not hard to use the Steam API hooks to get the players Steam ID for fan sites/leagues etc, and players can even go to sites like Steam ID Finder http://steamidfinder.com/ and look up players profiles. My site webmaster says it is pretty easy to hook into this data and even display a players current status in his league profile etc.

    The problem and question I have is this though. Looking up a Steam profile is only a possible solution *if* all players can do that from within the game. In the steam overlay you can ofcourse right click and display a players profile page, which you can then use the above web site to check it. But are the players that join your game listed in a steam overlay that lets us do this, or in a game interface? And if it is the Civ5 interface does the interface give us access to at least the 64bit ID?

    I'll be honest if we can't positively identify players in the game, this is a huge hit to organized MP, we will basically have to go back to the Civ3 days of having hosts force all players to login and out of the league site to prove who they are.( or email pw's or IPs to the persons registered league email etc) Not a good way of doing business in 2010!

    Thanks for your help in advance Greg

    CS
    Last edited by CanuckSoldier; 07-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    I have been an avid Civ player for years. The decision to use Steam has really disappointed me as a user. I will unfortunately not purchase this program specifically because of this decision. There are very limited ways for users like myself to express our frustration and I realize that nothing will come of it, but I think it is valuable for the team to understand why.
    I don't buy Steam games either. This is very disappointing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    994
    Okay, Greg, you've got the MP question and the irrelevant (though regrettable) won't-buy declarations. But here's another question for you that I've seen some controversy (or ignorance) about.

    Is there some advantage to pre-buying Civ from Steam? In particular, will you get extra features of any kind that are not included in the standard or collectors editions that you might have bought from someone like Amazon?

    ETA

    I sympathize with the disillusionment of JoJoy and Nevets and others who won't buy the game on principle. But could I, in the most respectful way, ask that members open a separate lamentation thread since this one is for questions and answers, not declarations. Thanks in advance. And I'm very sorry for your predicament.
    Last edited by Liberal; 07-27-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: eta;fixed char;added char;emphasis on question

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSoldier View Post
    I seems, sadly, that Steam allows players to change their display name, aka the "persona" in steam lingo. Which would be all fine except that Steam doesn't display the players real profile name or the players steam ID number in the public players profile page. In fact there is even no limit to the names you can use, so you can infact impersonate any other players name.
    While I sympathize, Civ5 is not the first game to pose this question and it's got no shot at being the most serious multiplayer game using Steam. TF2 faces the very same problem, yet it manages to hold "professional" level tournaments between teams of players that rarely even see each other.

    I know the problem looks difficult now, but in practice, its not so much of an issue. First: player impersonation isn't really much of a problem in much more serious games, so I doubt it will be an issue in Civ5.

    Second: In most multiplayer games, the game itself ensures that impersonation is hollow at best (even if there are two players named "ljenkins", I know the one playing Rome is my teammate and when I chat to them, I open a chat to "the leader of Rome" or "all teammates" not to "ljenkins").

    Third: Most players you encounter are either temporary teammates whose name you don't pay much attention to anyway or people you know well. If you play with someone often, just add them to your friends list. Like most Steam games, your friends list does a good job of tracking who exactly your friends are. Most Steamworks games even add extra icons to players names when they are in your friends list.

    Finally: Even highly organized leagues like TF2 and CSS still rely on passworded servers in order to do league play. Sure, they have tools to verify everyone who shows up, but passworded servers are just so much easier to manage.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtarget View Post
    While I sympathize, Civ5 is not the first game to pose this question and it's got no shot at being the most serious multiplayer game using Steam. TF2 faces the very same problem, yet it manages to hold "professional" level tournaments between teams of players that rarely even see each other.

    I know the problem looks difficult now, but in practice, its not so much of an issue. First: player impersonation isn't really much of a problem in much more serious games, so I doubt it will be an issue in Civ5.

    Second: In most multiplayer games, the game itself ensures that impersonation is hollow at best (even if there are two players named "ljenkins", I know the one playing Rome is my teammate and when I chat to them, I open a chat to "the leader of Rome" or "all teammates" not to "ljenkins").

    Third: Most players you encounter are either temporary teammates whose name you don't pay much attention to anyway or people you know well. If you play with someone often, just add them to your friends list. Like most Steam games, your friends list does a good job of tracking who exactly your friends are. Most Steamworks games even add extra icons to players names when they are in your friends list.

    Finally: Even highly organized leagues like TF2 and CSS still rely on passworded servers in order to do league play. Sure, they have tools to verify everyone who shows up, but passworded servers are just so much easier to manage.
    Thanks for your take on other Steam MP games ST. But I have run a Civ3 and Civ4 MP league for a total of 9 years now and player impersonations are a huge issue for competitive MP leagues in my experince. Human nature is such that if a player can get out of a loss report by claiming that they have been impersonated they will, and it is upto us to prove they were not. So we need an ironclad method to do so.

    In Civ4 this was relatively easy because it had a secure Gamespy login, and players names could not be changed, so all we had to do was dictate that a players league name had to match their GS login name character for character. So the only issue we have had was the odd host not paying attention to players that try to substitute and I for a 1 etc.

    You are right though I spend an hour last night on google looking at what other Steam MP communities are doing. And leagues like Counter Strike have elaborate league systems in place to deal with player identifcation. I didn't have time to look at the system under the hood to see if their devs gave them some sort of player data access or not.

    Unfortunately Civ5 is a p2p game so we do not have servers to verify players. In the long run Civplayers is planning on a league mod(assuming that Civ5 modding is a good and user friendly and the released data suggests) that will report wins/losses to the league automatically and part of that mod will be connecting to the Steam API for player steam ID verification. But we can't have this done until after the game is released, so in the mean time we really need the devs to give us an ingame solution to this problem if they have not already done so.

    CS

  15. #15
    For everyone's info, Greg did reply to this at CFC, and the answer is that Civ5 will allow us to access the Steam ID's under the hood, but we have to write our own mod to do so, so that will be priority #1 for us come Sept 21tst.

    CS

  16. #16

    Thank you VERY much!

    Since I only buy boxed copies of the games that I want to play, and even then I might buy a total of 2 games a year at the MOST (I have a very busy life, sadly), I've never used Steam in the past.

    Combined with my recent switch from WinXP to Ubuntu Linux, I've been very very curious how everything would work.

    Though I still have a few questions on specifics that won't be answered until much closer to release or on release day (when much more experienced Linux users get their hands on the game), this really encapsulated a lot of what I wanted to know all in one place.

    Thanks a lot for bringing a lot of information all into one spot!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12

    Dlc

    If we buy the boxed copy will we still get access to the Mesopotamia DLC that comes with a steam pre-order, and if so will we have to pay for it?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoy View Post
    I don't buy Steam games either. This is very disappointing.
    I agree with JoJoy. That you have decided to use Steam is very disappointing.
    I only made the mistake once to buy a steam based game - with Empire: Total War - and I will not do it again.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by cannily View Post
    I agree with JoJoy. That you have decided to use Steam is very disappointing.
    I only made the mistake once to buy a steam based game - with Empire: Total War - and I will not do it again.
    While the last thing I want to do is to bring the arguments into this thread, I really do want to point out that there are several games which are well known for having issues when released on Steam. ETW is one of the best (worst?) examples of this. ETW and a handful of other games had significant problems. The vast majority of games do not. Refusing to buy Civ5 because you experienced problems with ETW is like refusing to buy a new car because your old car broke down.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8
    I've had some questions about the Steamworks integration for the game so thanks for making this FAQs-thread, but just for clarification: Does it matter whether I buy the game directly from Steam or buy it at retail and then activates it on Steam? Will I still get all the benefits that Steamworks has (achievements, auto-update, DLC and so on)?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    "Fake" Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
    I've had some questions about the Steamworks integration for the game so thanks for making this FAQs-thread, but just for clarification: Does it matter whether I buy the game directly from Steam or buy it at retail and then activates it on Steam? Will I still get all the benefits that Steamworks has (achievements, auto-update, DLC and so on)?
    Since we don't know when Greg will be around:

    Yes. The retail version will install Steam and an initial version of the game. From that point, you're just like everyone else: Steam will provide future patches and DLC. If you're in online mode, you'll get the same achievements as everyone else and other people will be able to see which achievements you've gotten (if you let them).

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,071
    Quote Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
    I've had some questions about the Steamworks integration for the game so thanks for making this FAQs-thread, but just for clarification: Does it matter whether I buy the game directly from Steam or buy it at retail and then activates it on Steam? Will I still get all the benefits that Steamworks has (achievements, auto-update, DLC and so on)?
    The actual operation of the game is not affected by how you by it; at least at launch, some additional content is exclusive to instances bought through Steam.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    I want to thank the developers and staff at Firaxis/2K Games for their amazing work on Civ V and this Civilization series.

    I also wanted to praise the decision to Pre-Sell and support Civ V on Steam. The early days of steam were horrific, but after several years of fine tuning, it have been and evolved into an integral part of my gaming lifestyle. It is where I buy and keep all my games. Many of my friends and contacts are on Steam. I have multiple accounts with the games spread out, and some with the same games on it. It is priceless when it comes to some of the early frustrations of the past. I remember how upset I would get when I couldn't get Civ IV (like so many other games) to recognize my CD. Or trying to find patches and downloading from throttled sites because I didn't pay for their front-line downloading service. Now I don't have to worry about any of that. The up to date game is always available to me wherever I am.

    I do hope you plan on having some Steam Cloud support for saved games. That would sure help rather than my current FTP script I use. Steamworks has a lot of advantages that you should take advantage of. However, also some downsides. Pros and Cons aside, I have Civ V preordered on Steam and awaiting the launch day.

    Keep up the great work,

    -Brad

  24. #24

    Question Regarding DLC among different versions

    I would like to restate the question posted by Liberal on page 2:

    Is there some advantage to pre-buying Civ from Steam? In particular, will you get extra features of any kind that are not included in the standard or collectors editions that you might have bought from someone like Amazon?

    I was planning to buy the Civilization V Special Edition from Amazon, but if it does not include content found in the pre-ordered Steam versions, then I won't.

    What I'm really confused about is the difference between the "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia" and the other DLC mentioned. Is the "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia" some special DLC exclusive to Steam pre-orders, or is it just a package deal for the DLC?

    Ultimately, I'm just worried that I'll buy the Special Edition and be disappointed to find that I missed out on some exclusive map/scenario/civilization.

    Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
    Okay, Greg, you've got the MP question and the irrelevant (though regrettable) won't-buy declarations. But here's another question for you that I've seen some controversy (or ignorance) about.

    Is there some advantage to pre-buying Civ from Steam? In particular, will you get extra features of any kind that are not included in the standard or collectors editions that you might have bought from someone like Amazon?

    ETA

    I sympathize with the disillusionment of JoJoy and Nevets and others who won't buy the game on principle. But could I, in the most respectful way, ask that members open a separate lamentation thread since this one is for questions and answers, not declarations. Thanks in advance. And I'm very sorry for your predicament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Tiger View Post
    I would like to restate the question posted by Liberal on page 2:

    Is there some advantage to pre-buying Civ from Steam? In particular, will you get extra features of any kind that are not included in the standard or collectors editions that you might have bought from someone like Amazon?

    I was planning to buy the Civilization V Special Edition from Amazon, but if it does not include content found in the pre-ordered Steam versions, then I won't.

    What I'm really confused about is the difference between the "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia" and the other DLC mentioned. Is the "Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia" some special DLC exclusive to Steam pre-orders, or is it just a package deal for the DLC?

    Ultimately, I'm just worried that I'll buy the Special Edition and be disappointed to find that I missed out on some exclusive map/scenario/civilization.

    Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.
    Bumping in the hope that 2K Greg will revisit the thread or someone else might know.

    ETA

    Note to Great Tiger: I've sent Greg a PM, given the time sensitivity of pre-ordering. If he responds there, I'll post it here.
    Last edited by Liberal; 07-29-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: eta;added char

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by smithxxl View Post
    I want to thank the developers and staff at Firaxis/2K Games for their amazing work on Civ V and this Civilization series.

    I also wanted to praise the decision to Pre-Sell and support Civ V on Steam. The early days of steam were horrific, but after several years of fine tuning, it have been and evolved into an integral part of my gaming lifestyle. It is where I buy and keep all my games. Many of my friends and contacts are on Steam. I have multiple accounts with the games spread out, and some with the same games on it. It is priceless when it comes to some of the early frustrations of the past. I remember how upset I would get when I couldn't get Civ IV (like so many other games) to recognize my CD. Or trying to find patches and downloading from throttled sites because I didn't pay for their front-line downloading service. Now I don't have to worry about any of that. The up to date game is always available to me wherever I am.

    I do hope you plan on having some Steam Cloud support for saved games. That would sure help rather than my current FTP script I use. Steamworks has a lot of advantages that you should take advantage of. However, also some downsides. Pros and Cons aside, I have Civ V preordered on Steam and awaiting the launch day.

    Keep up the great work,

    -Brad
    And I pray every day that they will release a steam FREE version. As steam have hardly improved anything since the horrid release back in HL2 days. Its much higher chance for steam to screw up than Civ4 and other games having trouble recognising your CD.
    Crap like steam should be optional, not forced.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdragoon View Post
    As steam have hardly improved anything since the horrid release back in HL2 days.
    Do you even use Steam? It was released before 2 years prior to HL2 (2003)... and those were the horrid days. Wasn't until 2007 that it really started working smooth. Improvements since it's release include Friends system, Media Library, Group Chat, in-game Layer system, Meta ratings, Groups, Gifts, Demos, Free Games, Cross-Platform PC/Mac.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdragoon View Post
    Crap like steam should be optional, not forced.
    I understand and agree with you that the "requiring" something to play a product you purchase is frustrating. That's one of my own mistrusts and pet-peeves about using iTunes and iPhone. I shouldn't have to use it. But if I truly wanted an iPhone enough, I would use iTunes. I just don't, and now I have a Droid Incredible and very happy! So I hope you want Civ V enough to enjoy the new gameplay and hard work that Firaxis has put in... even if it's on Steam.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdragoon View Post
    And I pray every day that they will release a steam FREE version. As steam have hardly improved anything since the horrid release back in HL2 days. Its much higher chance for steam to screw up than Civ4 and other games having trouble recognising your CD.
    Crap like steam should be optional, not forced.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

    Why do you still participate in these forums? You are completely against Steam, that is obvious. You have stated hundreds of times over dozens of threads that you either refuse to buy this game ever because of steam, or maybe you just refuse to buy it until it's dirt cheap. Good for you! You've voiced your opinion over and over and over and over again and no amount arguing is going to change your stance or, more importantly, your predicament. You will NEVER play this game unless you change your mind. So move on. Find a cause that isn't as hopeless as this one. Or, at the least, spare the others from your repetitious complaints.

    Steam isn't going to be removed from this game for the duration of it's reasonable lifetime. No steamworks title has ever had steamworks removed, nor has there ever been talk of a developer considering removing steamworks as a future option. Steam isn't going anywhere, and this game is going to have steamworks no matter how much you cry about it. So, to me, you're like a preacher in a bar full of college students - nobody cares, nobody wants you there, you don't belong there, and the more you talk the more annoying you get.
    Last edited by tviceman; 07-30-2010 at 05:33 AM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by smithxxl View Post
    Do you even use Steam? It was released before 2 years prior to HL2 (2003)... and those were the horrid days. Wasn't until 2007 that it really started working smooth. Improvements since it's release include Friends system, Media Library, Group Chat, in-game Layer system, Meta ratings, Groups, Gifts, Demos, Free Games, Cross-Platform PC/Mac.
    Yes, I do use it some, as I do sometimes play TF2, and I barely tolerate that steam junk for Valves own games. most of the things you bring up as improvements are fluff or obviousness, lets see, steam is mainly meant for multi-player games, not single-player like the Civ series.. so for a shooter of course you want a friends-list so you know when your team-mates are online.. group chat? just what you find in any IM client, nothing special. in-game layer system, that window at shift-tab? not really usefull. groups, what is this? facebook. (ok, its for Clans, another shooter game mainly feature). Gifts, its a webstore, duh, ofcourse it got gifting options, so do amazon.co.uk nothing new. Demos, is that new? come on, Demos have existed for ages, we had demos last CENTURY.. (only 10/11 years since that happened, hope you got the joke). Free games, they exist outside steam too. Cross-Platform PC/Mac, one more that panders games to a OS made to make pretty pictures for adds, newspapers, making and editing videos and no other functions. (Joke about Macs, they can do moore).



    Quote Originally Posted by smithxxl View Post
    I understand and agree with you that the "requiring" something to play a product you purchase is frustrating. That's one of my own mistrusts and pet-peeves about using iTunes and iPhone. I shouldn't have to use it. But if I truly wanted an iPhone enough, I would use iTunes. I just don't, and now I have a Droid Incredible and very happy! So I hope you want Civ V enough to enjoy the new gameplay and hard work that Firaxis has put in... even if it's on Steam.
    See, you didn't get a iphone, and got something not bound to a service, and are most likly much more happy whit it, than whit the one that would have bound you to some software.
    So, you see, not being forced to use junk software is better than being forced to use junk software.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

    Steam isn't going to be removed from this game for the duration of it's reasonable lifetime. No steamworks title has ever had steamworks removed, nor has there ever been talk of a developer considering removing steamworks as a future option.
    Do you not mean that it have not been removed by the company that sells it. or more to the point. There is steamfree releases of steamworks games, they are just not legal. But they DO exist.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
    Bumping in the hope that 2K Greg will revisit the thread or someone else might know.

    ETA

    Note to Great Tiger: I've sent Greg a PM, given the time sensitivity of pre-ordering. If he responds there, I'll post it here.
    Hey guys!

    I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have seen your responses and I will see about getting answers for you.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    12
    Will Civ 5 be decrypting game files as you load and run the game, decrypting during install, or not using the steam encrypting?


    Quote Originally Posted by smithxxl View Post
    Do you even use Steam? It was released before 2 years prior to HL2 (2003)... and those were the horrid days. Wasn't until 2007 that it really started working smooth. Improvements since it's release include Friends system, Media Library, Group Chat, in-game Layer system, Meta ratings, Groups, Gifts, Demos, Free Games, Cross-Platform PC/Mac.
    Steam is still a steaming pile, and should be optional. It went from horrid to not as horrid. I'm not sure what your definition of smooth is but I have never experienced a "smooth" steam. It irritates me to no end - both in principle and user experience. It may end up being the deal breaker even if it doesn't use decrypt-as-you-play.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    Hey guys!

    I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have seen your responses and I will see about getting answers for you.
    Damn, you're a good egg. Thanks, Greg.

    Lib

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, UK
    Posts
    11,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
    Steam is still a steaming pile, and should be optional. It went from horrid to not as horrid. I'm not sure what your definition of smooth is but I have never experienced a "smooth" steam. It irritates me to no end - both in principle and user experience. It may end up being the deal breaker even if it doesn't use decrypt-as-you-play.
    I guess this is a matter of taste. I find it smooth to run and use, more convenient and well-organised as a way to run games than multitudinous Start Menu shortcuts, and generally convenient and free of problems (for me).

  35. #35
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdragoon View Post
    Do you not mean that it have not been removed by the company that sells it. or more to the point. There is steamfree releases of steamworks games, they are just not legal. But they DO exist.
    Of course I meant legal. I was going on the assumption that you're a decent individual and won't resort to undermining years of hard work by a group of people and enjoying their products without compensating them.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
    Will Civ 5 be decrypting game files as you load and run the game, decrypting during install, or not using the steam encrypting?
    Decrypting is only used when you preload a game, and if it's preloading you won't be able to decrypt during install/download because that would mean the game would be able to run during preload i.e. BEFORE the release date.

    If the game has passed it's release date, you simply download and run it. The first time you run any game through a particular steam install it will do a one time activation and directx check.
    Last edited by tviceman; 07-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    Of course I meant legal. I was going on the assumption that you're a decent individual and won't resort to undermining years of hard work by a group of people and enjoying their products without compensating them.
    Sorry, but what you typed made it look like steam was stuck to a game in a way that made it impossible to get steam out of it. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint, you did maybe spot my warning that it is illegal to use that version? or as we should support the hard work of people.

    Just wanted to show you posted hot air by saying it could not be remowed.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdragoon View Post
    Sorry, but what you typed made it look like steam was stuck to a game in a way that made it impossible to get steam out of it. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint, you did maybe spot my warning that it is illegal to use that version? or as we should support the hard work of people.

    Just wanted to show you posted hot air by saying it could not be remowed.
    Well, to be removed is actually an incorrect way of describing how people pirate games that have steamworks integrated. Steamworks isn't removed, it's just circumvented. So technically you are wrong, unless you meant what I am saying now.

    Either way, it's illegal and wrong to pirate and I believe that if you don't think it's worth purchasing as it is then you shouldn't be using it for free (unless it's freeware).
    Last edited by tviceman; 07-30-2010 at 11:17 PM.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    Well, to be removed is actually an incorrect way of describing how people pirate games that have steamworks integrated. Steamworks isn't removed, it's just circumvented. So technically you are wrong, unless you meant what I am saying now.
    As I have not DLed any of those versions, I can not say either way, but, if they say nosteam, its more likely its removed than circumvented.


    Quote Originally Posted by tviceman View Post
    Either way, it's illegal and wrong to pirate and I believe that if you don't think it's worth purchasing as it is then you shouldn't be using it for free (unless it's freeware).
    This part I fully agree whit you on. Either buy and play, or do not buy AND DO NOT PLAY. Other peoples piracy is why we are now getting forcefeed this steamcrap.

  40. #40
    Is it possible to force Steam into offline mode *before* installing the game (and thereby preventing the first update/patch-cycle) ?

    Do I have to manually force Steam into off-line mode every time I want to play ?
    Or is blocking the Steam-service in a firewall the only way to ensure it never tries to connect on-line ?

    The fact that I can't patch in off-line mode using alternate sources is something I do not like.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •