Thread: What is the best research order in Civ 4?

Exclamation What is the best research order in Civ 4?

Hey guys so i have been experimenting around, and I still can not find my niche to see in what order I should research techs. Does anyone have any good advice as to what tech to research first/what the order of the first few should be to give you the best possible outcome/edge in the game? An answer would be great, give me your opinions and rule of thumbs!

I go for all the metal oriented techs then rush towards gunpowder. all the while trading my harder to get techs for lots of easier ones.

This will completely depend on your civilization and strategy.

If you are playing the Romans and are aiming for a conquest victory, it would make sense to get Iron Working so that you can pump out strenght 8 Praetorians (the romans special unit) which beat anything else you can build that early in the game.

If you are playing for a cultural victory I would focus on the religions up front so you can build lots of wonders before someone else builds them, etc. etc.

Civ IV is such a complex game that there is no "One Best" anything.

• Go for all the religions. Choose a civ that starts wil mysticism.
    • Then all the ancient religion techs, that's three.
    • If you want to go for Confucianism, the easiest way is constructing the Oracle once you have writing and priesthood.
    • Then catch up on the other techs, and get bronze working, archery, sailing, etc now.
    • Then get currency, build markets in all of your holy cities. If your religions spread well, you'll be incoming about 20g per turn w/90% research. It depends on your size though.
    • About now is the time to expand, build up an army, and take out the weakest neighbor.
    • Now you'll be well in the lead, keep up the wars until the renaissance era. Once you're there, get communism ASAP via liberalism's free tech, state property will save you so much money. You'll need to get astronomy and scientific method early to do this, and may miss out on liberalism.
    • Now you expand like hell. Keep spreading your religions with missionaries, and keep killing. Make colonies and cities on other continents, and get the lands before your rivals. You'll have the money to do so.
    • By about the early modern or late industrial, you'll have won a domination victory, game over.
    Last edited by Floating Pants; 09-06-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floating Pants View Post
    • Go for all the religions. Choose a civ that starts wil mysticism.
    • Then all the ancient religion techs, that's three.
    • If you want to go for Confucianism, the easiest way is constructing the Oracle once you have writing and priesthood.
    • Then catch up on the other techs, and get bronze working, archery, sailing, etc now.
    • Then get currency, build markets in all of your holy cities. If your religions spread well, you'll be incoming about 20g per turn w/90% research. It depends on your size though.
    • About now is the time to expand, build up an army, and take out the weakest neighbor.
    • Now you'll be well in the lead, keep up the wars until the renaissance era. Once you're there, get communism ASAP via liberalism's free tech, state property will save you so much money. You'll need to get astronomy and scientific method early to do this, and may miss out on liberalism.
    • Now you expand like hell. Keep spreading your religions with missionaries, and keep killing. Make colonies and cities on other continents, and get the lands before your rivals. You'll have the money to do so.
    • By about the early modern or late industrial, you'll have won a domination victory, game over.
    Not a bad stratagy on prince mode or something, but it being over is all dependant on size. small(1500's would work) to standard(1900's) would work.

Epic size maps you can't win untill you've gained a sizable research advantage, and you can only make this advantage happen by being the larger size player with more income per city coming in. This does become an issue the higher lvl of difficulty you play. It's a challenge remaining the biggest player in the game for the 3 hardest game-modes, and generally I will go for a cultural victory with the hardest game modes, unless I'm doing a rush stratagy in which the idea is to not even get more than 3 cities up, in a small zone and get domination within about 60 turns.(i.e. before year 0) once scored over 80.000 points by being luck enough to be placed between my 2 rivals and by spreading out both ways at once getting them both covered(6-7 melee units) before they managed to build their second city.
    Requires the Quachua ofcourse instead of the warrior, because you'll be taking on a lot of archers.