Thread: Out of sync errors...

Out of sync errors...

So, when playing LAN in Civ IV, every now and then (usually after a long play session) my friend and I would get an "out of sync" error. Our games got messed up, and we couldn't keep playing multiplayer.

Whoever was hosting could load up the game and play without the other, but if we both tried to get back into the game, we'd desync again.

Will Civ V have a fix for that problem?

Civ4 and Civ3 used Gamespy for powering the peer to peer MP system. Civ5 uses Steamworks, which from all reports is a much better and more stable system.

However as far as I can tell, Civ5 will remain a peer to peer game, so OOS's will sometimes happen, but we are hoping that Steamworks handles those situations much more gracefully than did Gamespy.

CS

OOS errors were brutal pre last patch for CIV IV BtS, also our group experienced that if the host was Win7 x64, and players XP x32, the MP game was essentially unplayable, constant OOS.

how ever oddly enough, if XP x32 was the host, seemingly Vista x64 would not have OOS errors, even when two other players were XP x32. I had a dual boot system just for hosting MP CIV IV games.

With CIV V all of us will be win7 x64, so OS differences will not be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
    OOS errors were brutal pre last patch for CIV IV BtS, also our group experienced that if the host was Win7 x64, and players XP x32, the MP game was essentially unplayable, constant OOS.

how ever oddly enough, if XP x32 was the host, seemingly Vista x64 would not have OOS errors, even when two other players were XP x32. I had a dual boot system just for hosting MP CIV IV games.

With CIV V all of us will be win7 x64, so OS differences will not be a factor.
    OS still maybe a factor by what you said the min reqs say xp, vista, win7. However they may have a way to fix that issue. We wont know until its released.

At Least we wont have to worry about the random events causing oooos bug

Well Civ4 came out before Vista and 7. Civ5 is coming out in the world of XP/Vista/7, so I am hoping that the game is well tested to work with the entire range of OS's in any configuration in MP.

CS