Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Retail Installation - Steam downloading game?

PC Retail Installation - Steam downloading game?

Is it really need to update the 5,991mb from steam before I can play the game?
    How about I don't have internet connection...
    how can I install and play the game?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofhim View Post
    Is it really need to update the 5,991mb from steam before I can play the game?
    How about I don't have internet connection...
    how can I install and play the game?
    how did you post this, download update and install

ya I know, but...I mean what if someone don't have internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofhim View Post
    ya I know, but...I mean what if someone don't have internet connection?
    Then you can't play the game, let alone update.

Steam requires an Internet connection to verify your account and decrypt the files.

No Internet, no play.

not helpful

Them 2 answers are bull**** answers. If your not going to reply with a helpful response then don't bother posting. That's what the forum is for, help! Now I understand the whole "logging in" to verify user account info which is gay in itself due to the fact that this game with be cracked and available to download in about a month. Fine I have to log in to activate the game. Great, no problem, that's why I bought it legally so I could play. Problem is as the original post says you have to download 5gb of data to play??? Please someone shed some light on this cause I have seen the download window for 7 hours now and it looks like its just looping. I have a Mifi connection and have a 5gb cap and if I have to download the patched game when I just spent $50 on a DVD with the game then that is horse**** and I want my money back. So if anyone knows if you have to download the whole game again then I would like to know!!!!!

Random guess as to how Steam installation works - it wasn't correct, so there's no use having it posted here.
    Last edited by Relight; 08-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Wow, 6 gigs to download... Great way to prevent day 0 piracy, but sucks for those on dialup or satellite. If you know someone with an internet connection, you could log into steam with your account on their PC, update the game, then do a backup within steam then put that on a DVD.

Thats WAY....to much crap to go through to play the game. The box clearly states "interenet connection required to activate"! It said nothing about downloading content. And it could hold only 4.7 or it could be DL DVD which more than likely it is. If not then installing usually unpack first. But I clicked on the "install game" and it did a quick flash and started updateing Steam. Well I've been looking at the Steam window for over 7 hours now and I am fed up. So I want to know any info cause this is crap. I want my money back. Have been waiting a long time for a Mafia II but this is not worth it. I should have known when I saw "Steam" on the box that I should have put it back on the shelf!!

Random guess as to how Steam installation works - it wasn't correct, so there's no use having it posted here.
    Last edited by Relight; 08-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyNipple View Post
    Them 2 answers are bull**** answers.
    No, it's not the answers that are bull****, it's your post and computer use.

It's pretty obvious you screwed up, and Steam is downloading the entire game, rather than installing it from the DVD.

Are you sure about this?

I was going to get the PC version, however my download speed is 32kb/s and my bandwidth cap is 2GB.

He screwed up, and Steam is downloading the entire game.

I can guarantee that its not my computer or how I installed it. Your not talking to a PC noob here, Jack! Anyway just got off the phone with 2k and they said the full install is on the DVD and the it shouldn't be downloading anything from Steam other than credentials. He also told me to try "safe mode" and "msconfig" and we all know that's the answer that the tier1 people ALWAYS give. No thank you. Anyway that answers the question of downloading external content if you have the DVD.

Oh he also told me that it could be the game disc too and to try it on another computer! Really! Anyway for all of you having install issues, he said it will let you install on a not-up-to-par PC. At least for install testing purposes!

I can guarantee that its not my computer or how I installed it.
    Yes it is, what else do you think it's downloading?

Steam always does this if you screw up a DVD installation.

The game comes a dual-layer DVD, and contains all the files required to run the game.

NO KIDDING. Pretty sure I just posted that. And no, I just tried it on my laptop and it is doing the SAME THING!!!! It says it is updating steam platform! I mean it's not that hard to click yes for "English" then click the "I agree box" then click yes, then verify age and click yes and then its like magic, it starts to install. Not really much to screw up on. So if your not going to be smart about this then shut up, your not helping anyone!!! I know how to install a god damn game. I am going to try "SAFE MODE" just to clarify its not my PC either. Will do a couple other tests and post back. And Kleetus, if your going to say something stupid again just hold your breathe and go play in traffic or something. This is for people having troubles getting past downloading a Steam issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    Yes it is, what else do you think it's downloading?

Steam always does this if you screw up a DVD installation.

The game comes a dual-layer DVD, and contains all the files required to run the game.
    Umm, games have done this before... they ship the game incomplete on the disc so the game can't be pirated before it goes on sale. I don't know that mafia does it or not since i haven't picked it up yet, but its not unpresedented...

I can confirm that the retail version of Mafia 2 installs off the disc.

Thank you for posting. As in my previous post I said the 2k support desk guy said all content was on the disc and was confirmed by a second call to them. After talking it out again they said it was a steam issue and not the game. I concur because I just downloaded Steam off of the website itself and it is doing the same thing. So it is in fact an issue with Steam(imagine that). anyway the original topic was about "downloading external data" and "what if no internet". Well the 1st one has been answered. However it does state on the box that you have to have an internet connection in order to register the game to play. I believe this is very gay and sucks for a lot of people that don't use internet for games. But I do understand the devs side of it as well (even tho it will be hacked in a month or two).

So to clarify:

1)All game content is on the DVD
    2)You have to have an internet connection to register but not to play. (States on the box)

Quote Originally Posted by Relight View Post
    Here's one guess:

The DVD holds about 4.7 gigs of data.

2K Elizabeth stated in her Q&A thread that PC installation requires 10-12 gigs (Steam says requires 8, 10 recommended).

I'm thinking that they didn't compress the game THAT much.

In other words... as a partial way to prevent piracy, 2K put only half the game on a DVD-5, and you're required to download the other half of the game through Steam.

If other PC users check this thread, maybe they can verify that they also have to download half the game ... or if anyone is buying direct from Steam maybe they can tell us how large the Steam download is without having the retail version.
    lol if people complain about paying for DLC that's already on the disc, imaging how they'll feel when they find they paid $50 for half a game

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTripps View Post
    Umm, games have done this before...
    Umm, we aren't talking about other games.

I have Mafia 2 DVD, and the game fully installs from the DVD.

It's that simple.

If Steam is downloading 6GB's, he screwed the DVD installation up.

When that happens with Steam, as far as it's concerned you don't have the game so it will download it.

It says it is updating steam platform!
    Updating Steam platform isn't the game, it's the client.

I know how to install a god damn game.
    If you did, you wouldn't be having this issue.

This is for people having troubles getting past downloading a Steam issue.
    No-one else is having this issue, it's just you because you screwed the install up.

And it's easy to prove:

In Steam, check the update for the game and post a screenshot of the changelog.

Dude, you really are a doucher!!! I CAN'T EVEN LAUNCH STEAM BECAUSE IT WANTS TO UPDATE ITSELF SOMEHOW!!!!!!!!! I thought I made that perfectly clear! Maybe I did to other people that pay attention, but for you, you seem to be having trouble with it. So let me spell it out in Crayola for you...I cant update, play,check any kind of setting because it is a Steam issue. Did you understand that. I hope I didn't speak to fast for you. I will not reply to anymore of your doucher comments. Look and learn before you speak. K? The original poster said that a DVD was 4.7gb and the hard drive requirements is 10. so he/she did the math and took 10 - 4.7 to get ~6gb. He/she is also probably running into an issue like I am where it seems like it is downloading more content than it is supposed to, which he/she obviously didn't account for DL DVD and the fact that it gets unpacked. It's really not that hard to figure out. So quit posting your lame comments which obviously the only thing you can do is point your finger and try to look intelligent when in fact your just douching it up. K. If you could read, I said I even downloaded it from the internet and it did the same thing, just sat there and looped trying to "update the platform".
    In Steam, check the update for the game and post a screenshot of the changelog.
    Ok, here ya go.......oh wait....there is no screenshot because I can't click on settings or right-click on anything or change any kind of setting becuase there is nothing to click on.

I have found in Steam forums that people are having trouble with "games and other settings" because of ports needed for specific things, like most applications. Since I am using a cell phone provider I cannot open any ports. This MIGHT be the problem to my "downloading" issue.

Nobody likes a doucher so please quit being that guy.

Have a good game everyone.

I don't know exactly what is in the download (I'll ask tomorrow) but remember that patches will also require downloads, and we did have the fix in the demo that is also in the full game.

My game installed fine from the disc. I did have to download something from steam but it was a quick like 9 or 10 second download. probably a patch or something

2K Elizabeth stated in her Q&A thread that PC installation requires 10-12 gigs (Steam says requires 8, 10 recommended).

I'm thinking that they didn't compress the game THAT much.
    Use some common sense, because why on earth would a modern company like 2K not take the time to apply good compression? Size has often to do with content and the number of textures and their details.

I CAN'T EVEN LAUNCH STEAM BECAUSE IT WANTS TO UPDATE ITSELF SOMEHOW!!!!!!!!! I thought I made that perfectly clear!
    What you made clear was your ineptitude.

The original poster said that a DVD was 4.7gb and the hard drive requirements is 10. so he/she did the math and took 10 - 4.7 to get ~6gb.
    Original poster would be you.

Anyway, don't believe everything posted.

The Mafia II DVD is a DVD9, and has about 7GB of data.

The installation directory is roughly the same size. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Stop blaming Steam, 2K or forum members. Accept you screwed up.

What you made clear was your ineptitude
    Original poster would be you.
    I believe that's what your showing everyone else. The original poster was "kingofhim". That's probably the easiest thing to check. It sounded like he/she might have been in the same boat that I was in when trying to update and it just looped and kept downloading data but not downloading anything completely. Once again in my earlier post I am starting to believe that it has to do with a port of sorts why "STEAM", not the game, isn't updating properly. And again because Kleetus is a slow learner, I am on a cell service which I cannot open any other ports. So again maybe that's why I am the only one having the issue with "STEAM", not the game.

Anyway, don't believe everything posted.The Mafia II DVD is a DVD9, and has about 7GB of data.The installation directory is roughly the same size. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
    Umm.....Really. Cause I'm pretty sure about 3 of my posts say that it was confirmed that it is a DL DVD and all content is on the DVD. So this is showing how incompetent you are!!

Stop blaming Steam, 2K or forum members. Accept you screwed up.
    I would except that I screwed up if in fact I had. I posted that I downloaded Steam from their website and tried a fresh install of just Steam. It is doing the same thing as when I install it off of the disc. So again "Incompetent Kleetus", It has to do with Steam and/or my cell service. You really aught to quit trying to sound semi-intellegent before you fall down and hurt yourself and trying to look cool by getting the last word in all the time. This has nothing to do with the original post. The original post has been answered.

Again, again for people
    So to clarify:

1)2k helpdesk has said that "All game content is on the DVD"
    2)You have to have an internet connection to register but not to play. (States on the box)
    :Original post solved: case closed.

Wow, just wow. The level of fail surrounding this game is epic. You buy the physical PC game, which just contains a portion of the game, and you then have to download the other half from Steam. Just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Wow, just wow. The level of fail surrounding this game is epic. You buy the physical PC game, which just contains a portion of the game, and you then have to download the other half from Steam. Just unbelievable.
    That was only a theory I had, and it's been proven incorrect.

The actual minimum requirements listed in the manual are 8 gigs with 10 recommended - who knows why it needs that much space though - possibly with saved games and if you had all the DLCs, maybe that's what it would all add up to.

So far, retail installation off the disc was 5.877 gigs according to Steam.

I've now succesfully installed retail game with Steam, and had no problems. It installed directly off the disc, with only a fast and minimal update after that, updating the game to 5.982 gigs.

I am on a slowish internet connection. I used a retail disc to install through Steam, and afterwards, the game simply downloaded a 40mb~ patch and I could play.

You clearly did something wrong, OP, just accept it.

The Mafia II DVD is a DVD9, and has about 7GB of data.
    Oh thats just swell!, I get the game on friday and now I'm going to have to purchase a new DVD player!, FFS! why is this not on the specs!?

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBare View Post
    Oh thats just swell!, I get the game on friday and now I'm going to have to purchase a new DVD player!, FFS! why is this not on the specs!?
    Seriously? How old is your DVD drive? Are you sure your DVD drive doesn't real dual layer discs?

Seriously? How old is your DVD drive? Are you sure your DVD drive doesn't real dual layer discs?
    It's a single layer reader, every game I have is on single layer DVDs, including Assassins Creed I&II and Mass Effect 2.

*UPDATE* This goes out for all you idiots that "THINK" you know everything. I tried installing on a friends computer with his cable connection and it went fine. So I then plugged in my cell provider and did a fresh install to low-and-behold it did the same things I was having issues with. So for all of you retards that know it all, it was in fact my cell service as I had mentioned and not how I installed. Now I think you owe everyone else an apology for carrying this off-topic subject as far as you did. I simply took the game back for in-store credit and pre-ordered D3.

thewafflecult: You and Kleetus should look each other up when your at the Special Olympics. You 2 seem like you would hit it off rather well. Nobody said anything about slow internet speed being the problem, not once.

RunningBare: I don't think any DVD ROM player only reads single layer. If you can play and watch DVD movies all the way through then it is a DL DVD. 98% of movie DVD's available are DL content. If it is a burner then yes it might only burn SL DVDs but it will still read DL DVDs.

Relight: Thanks for posting and trying to keep some since of all of this!

2k helpdesk has said that "All game content is on the DVD"
    That was never in doubt, except by you.

I can't believe you had to call their helpdesk just to find that out.

You have to have an internet connection to register but not to play.
    Well duh, it's a Steam game.

Nothing new here, it's been like this since Steam was first released.

Bottom line is, people tried helping, and you jumped in saying it was "bull*****", all based on your ignorance.

The game doesn't download 5GB of patches, or 5GB of anything else for that matter.

When a DVD installation is screwed up, Steam will download the game from it's servers.

So, stop blaming 2K or anyone else.

If anything, it's your fault and Steams, to a lesser extent.

5 Hours to download a DVD copy for PC

Yup, STEAM is a real treat. I purchased the DVD copy a month ago and it came into the store yesterday. I loaded it in the PC and had to join STEAM to activate the game. It then preceeded to link to STEAM and I had to download the whole damn game. Estimated 5 hours to download it to my PC.
    What the hell ever happened to DVD discs that had the entire game on them??

WTF

cancel that and delete local files or whatever it called (right-click)

Try installing again, this is bug that happened to me on Empire:Total War

Okay, this is rediculous. Although it took over and hour to download GTA 4.
    Will try what you said.

Also in the demo files, under the PC directory I believe, is a file called RemoveSaves.exe I believe. I ran that file first, then I uninstalled the demo from Steam.

After that, I had no problem, the game installed without problem off the DVD.

I'm merging this thread with an existing topic on this same issue in the Technical Forum.

Wait, Mafia 2 requires dual layer??? OMFG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast