Thread: Mafia 2 (Steam) Will not launch past small plash logo

Mafia 2 (Steam) Will not launch past small plash logo

As the title says I downloaded Mafia 2 off steam and try launching it but all it does is load the small splash screen logo then close itself out with no warning or error explanation, it just dissipates... Below are my DXDiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Alienware
    System Model: M11x R2
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU U 640 @ 1.20GHz (4 CPUs),~1.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 7990MB RAM
    Page File: 1774MB used, 14203MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

It does not recognized the GeForce GT 350 but that's what it uses to run games and I've specifically check that it is...
    Driver v.258.96
    Memory: 1024mb

Fix!

9# Mafia 2 Doesn’t Start after loading Splash Image, Resolution Problem
    When you click Mafia 2 executable, game starts with splash image which disappears after a while and then nothing happens.
    Go to

C:\Users\yourAccountUserName\AppData\Local\2K Games\Mafia II\Saves

and open file “videoconfig” with notepad and change all 1′s to zeroes (0′s).

Within that file you will find something like:

0 0 1680 1050 1 0 0 1

Change it to:

0 0 640 480 0 0 0 0

This will solve this issue and game will start normally and looks better.If the file/folder doesn’t exist, create it.

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET IT TO RUN IN FULLSCREEN NOW WITHOUT GOING COMPLETELY BLACKSCREEN?

I have exactly the same problem but my copy is the retail (installed of disc) and when the game loads to the splash screen, it just exits to desktop. Ive tried your fix but still does not work....help!!! I live in Australia by the way if it is a region issue

http://segmentnext.com/2010/08/24/ma...graphics-bugs/

Hope this helps!

(I Still can't get mine to run full-screen...)

Hey gman, I ended up formatting my computer and installing the game again and that solved all my problems, thanks for all your help

Hi, Im havnig this same problem too. I tried the suggested fix, changing the file to 0s, but nothing. do i have to change the file and then reinstall it? really infruriating

Harryhman, i installed in off disk too. can you talk me through how you formatted ?

Formatting is a really long way around. It's like cutting your foot off because you stubbed your toe.

Explain your problem in some detail and we'll have a look

Steam keeps popping up.. :(

hey, i downloaded mafia 2 this morning and it installed straight through without steam..but when i double click on the desktop icon, it opens steam and i don't see a way how to start the game...when i go to the games area in steam, i don't see the game, and when i add the game to steam and launch it, it opens the steam window again....help me please!!!!