Thread: Thrive, a Video Game Project That Could Use Some Help! (NOT A SPAMBOT! >_<)

Thrive, a Video Game Project That Could Use Some Help! (NOT A SPAMBOT! >_<)

Hey guys! I've been on this game-development project for over a year now called Thrive. I thougt it was really cool, and maybe you will too. We could use any help we can get, and it'd be cool to see some more BioShockers than me over there! If this is against forum rules, being an ad and whatever, that's okay- take it down if you must. Anyway, here is the formal ad we've cooked up:

Thrive is a game about the universe- It has no definite goals, no story, no characters. What Thrive has is life.

In Thrive you will control one or many organisms, controlling them as individuals, groups, nations, and empires. You will build around you a universe full of wonder, beauty, complexity, and life. And you will Thrive there. Whether you choose to play for eternity as a single cell, or to become a ruling species, building empires and technology you have never dreamed of, Thrive will reward you.

Thrive is built upon one of the simplest constants in the universe- change. In Thrive, everything around you will be constantly changing- mountains being thrown up by the force of tectonic collisions, meteors crashing to the ground, rivers carving deep canyons in their wake. But the most important thing in Thrive is life's most basic mechanism for change- Evolution. As an organism you will evolve, and the others around you will evolve as well. Once sapience is reached, your culture, technology, and people will continue to change, through your interference, or through natural progression.

Thrive is a game about the universe, about complexity, change, and life, so how will it work? Through simplicity and science. Thrive has realistic goals, and our development team knows the limits of computers today, and wants to make a realistic game with realistic requirements. It will be a messy process, but one that will end in achievement. Please join us in our journey to create the most awe-inspiring software you have ever seen.

Our game probably seems to you like the game Spore, and that's good, because Spore inspired most of our team to create this game. We were disappointed with the approach spore took to the idea of an evolution-sim, and thought we could do better. The project has gone through a few incarnations, but we have arrived now at what seems to be a good base point: we have a lot of the concept down for how the game will work, how it will play, and how it will look. In this stage of development, we are ready to start building.

How does our game work?

First, we have the different modes of gameplay. These take you through the game however you want, whether you wish to Reign fiery death upon your creatures, or simply sit back and watch a beautiful alien planet grow and flourish.

Organism Mode: You play as and completely control one member of your species. It is like Spore's "Creature" Stage, except it can be played at any time. It can be viewed from the 1st or 3rd person, and you can play as anyone you want. Office worker? Done. King? Done. Warrior? Done. You would be able to control this alien's life from start to finish.

-Strategy Mode: Much like an RTS. You are able to manage and control the faction of your choosing, and do whatever the heck you want with it. You can set out to make your entire country rich, conquer the world (or the galaxy), or try to keep relations good with other countries. You can completely set up the way your government treats its civilians: are they free? Are they slaves? Do they just run wild? How much freedom do they have with their money- what religions can they have?

-Observation Mode: Perfect for making machinima, this mode is where you can simply move your camera about the world, and look at everything. You can, of course, take pictures or make movies in this mode.

-God Tools: a panel of tools that will let you alter the universe around you. You can spawn mountains with it, summon asteroids, destroy worlds- anything.

How will the player be able to change things in their universe?

The player will have access to a number of editors in which they can create just about anything- single-celled parasites and other tiny organisms in the microbe editor; gigantic plants and animals, even plant/animal hybrids in the organism editor; spaceships, vehicles, cities, buildings, weapons, wristwatches, and any other technology in the universe in the tech editor; and entire planets, including both rocky and gas bodies, in the planet editor.

All of these are designed to give as much freedom as possible to the player- in the end, the only restriction on the game will be the laws of physics themselves, and even they can be defied using god tools.

Right now, the first component of our game, the Organism editor, is being coded by our lead programmer. Despite his great abilities, we still need more programmers, and we hope to draw in anyone with programming skills.

People we need:
    Programmers
    Graphic artists
    3D modelers
    Legal advisors
    Scientific advisors
    Composers
    Sound engineers
    Promoters
    Anyone with great ideas!

Please take time to visit our forums and see if you can help us.
    Thrive Development Forums

Would you Kindly give it a look?
    Last edited by Invader; 09-06-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Sinclair Saucer Guest
    Do you need Voice Actors?

He does a mean Bill Cosby..

I joined, so right off the bat the project is a success

Sinclair Saucer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FtRapture View Post

No no! I do a mean Bill Lobley!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair Saucer View Post
    Do you need Voice Actors?
    If you feel like making bird chirps and what-not. No, I don't think so.

Thanks, dude!

Remember, if you even just want to contribute comments or ideas, feel free to do so!
    Last edited by Invader; 09-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.

I really like this idea! I'll help in any way that I can.
    Last edited by W164; 09-07-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Sinclair Saucer Guest
    I do think the games needs some voice actors

Lolspore? XD

Quote Originally Posted by RaptureWillBeReborn View Post
    Lolspore? XD
    Lol. That's actually what started it- Spore. The problem with Spore is it is laughably unscientific and cartoony- not really the evolution game that was promised, and it really pissed a ton of people off. We just aim to fill in all the grey areas that Spore had. Which was alot. So, yes, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair Saucer View Post
    I do think the games needs some voice actors

Okay, then. We plan for there to be a sort of Achievement system- again, like Spore. So:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: MEET: SINCLAIR SAUCER!

Found the lost video tape of "Behind the Shock of BioShock"!

Quote Originally Posted by W164 View Post
    I really like this idea! I'll help in any way that I can.

You could always sign up and share your ideas! :3

EDIT: Liz just replied to a PM I sent her asking if this thread was, well... acceptable on the forum that I had sent a long while ago... uhh... she said no. I made this thread under the assumption that it was okay, seeing other threads sorta similar to it- like people asking for help/votes on contests, so...
    Last edited by Invader; 09-07-2010 at 06:06 AM.

It will be intresting to see how in depth we can go. Following the micro hierarchy. Atoms, molecules, organells, cells, tissue, organs, organ systems, organisms.

You could really get some finite stuff going on. Each one could be whole game.

I would play a game called Atom

It will be intresting to see how in depth we can go. Following the micro hierarchy. Atoms, molecules, organells, cells, tissue, organs, organ systems, organisms.

You could really get some finite stuff going on. Each one could be whole game.

I would play a game called Atom
    Well, I don't think we're going as small as atoms, but I get the point. I beleive we're going down to organelles, and maybe molecules.

Spore was awesome, but sometimes it just fell too childish. If this game explores that, then it will be awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Simas1330 View Post
    Spore was awesome, but sometimes it just fell too childish. If this game explores that, then it will be awesome...
    Our #1 goal! (Lol) For real, though, we want it to be different for sure! Not like a copy of Spore with an injection of science, but a whole new game with new gameplay and everything. It will just be a more mature game in Spore's genre.

I would love the idea of the space stage of this game being so in depth that it rivals Mass Effect in terms of complexity. With each individual character that you play as in the organism editor, perhaps you could excel in particular skills unique to that one member of the species. The ability to compete against your friend's civilizations would also make for a stellar game, maybe even the integration of a social app that deeply affects the game could be possible. I'm just trying to start the brainstorming again...

GOOD GOD. I posted this thread so unbelievably long ago... I was much more spastic, and my voice was much higher-pitched. I've checked the game's forums recently and while they're still alive, they've made no visible progress since I finally left near two years ago.

It was an excellent concept, but the odds of it ever getting finished up, especially as a free-to-play indie game, are somewhere around a trillion to one. I appreciate that my thread caught your attention, but if you really want to push the game forward you'll want to go to the official Thrive forums. I'm sure they'd like some help.

I had no idea there were official thread forums. Sorry if I brought up unwanted memories.

Quote Originally Posted by tacojammer View Post
    I had no idea there were official thread forums. Sorry if I brought up unwanted memories.
    You didn't do anything wrong. Here's a link to their forums: http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum

I think I signed up on your forum, Invader, by accident, I didn't know It wasn't community, whoops. Anyway I am loving the concept and what you guys are doing, I loved spore but their were issues and I feel like you guys are going above and beyond what Spore was, and I would bust out $70 for a game that sounds this good, you people are even doing it without pay, you are true video game saints and it is too bad not many know of this awesome idea, going back to the forums, I can help with ideas, but that is about it XD, I am quite useless, although I can come up with ideas and concepts, (not drawn, my drawing is terrible) for you all. Continue with your hard work, and no matter how long it takes, this is a game of the year game, P.S. Do you know what platforms it might come on?

As far as I'm aware, it would all be on PC. I'm not sure, I distanced myself from the project years ago.