Thread: SecuROM harming your system ...

SecuROM harming your system ...

??

There are those who claimed secuROM will do nothing but refused to be uninstalled.

Well, here is some problem listed on wikipedia:

* The version of SecuROM that comes with Armed Assault, S.T.A.L.K.E.R (European release only), Neverwinter Nights 2 , Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (patched to v1.04), Tomb Raider Anniversary (demo and Full version), Overlord and Bioshock prevents the game from running at all if Process Explorer, a free tool offered by Microsoft, has been run since the previous reboot.

* Certain games installed using SecuROM will prevent other select games from working correctly, and will continue to do so even after game is uninstalled

Now I am not a security expert. But if true, these are certainly HARMFUL to a system. Can someone verify if these are true?

There are sevral wierd things happening since I installed Bioshock:

1)The windows burning program wont work right,I tried to burn some files for my other computer that isnt working correctly(drivers and such) and the burner wouldnt burn the files it kept crashing.

2)When I block Bioshock for accesing the internet it locks my computer up

3)Pc Probe 2 keeps crashing and/or opening multiple windows until my system crashes.

There is more but I dont really feel like adding more....all the problems happened after I installed the game.
    I dont care what anyone says, if securom wasnt in my computer most or all of the problems would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by narius View Post
    ??

There are those who claimed secuROM will do nothing but refused to be uninstalled.

Well, here is some problem listed on wikipedia:

* The version of SecuROM that comes with Armed Assault, S.T.A.L.K.E.R (European release only), Neverwinter Nights 2 , Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (patched to v1.04), Tomb Raider Anniversary (demo and Full version), Overlord and Bioshock prevents the game from running at all if Process Explorer, a free tool offered by Microsoft, has been run since the previous reboot.

* Certain games installed using SecuROM will prevent other select games from working correctly, and will continue to do so even after game is uninstalled

Now I am not a security expert. But if true, these are certainly HARMFUL to a system. Can someone verify if these are true?
    I only reboot when I install software, drivers, etc. and am required to reboot. Other then that this computer stay on 24/7. I put it in sleep mode when I go to bed or leave the house. I have opened Process Explorer several times just today and then went back to playing Bioshock without a problem. (and C & C 3 online...man I got crushed by GDI tonight...but I digress)

While my singular experience would hardly be hard verification it is a mark in the not entirely correct column. That and I trust wikipedia for facts about as much as I trust a politician to tell the truth.

PC Probe II is working fine on my system....

Yeah I installed the newest one too, it keeps doing that I already contacted customer service at ASUS they said there is nothing wrong with the program, must be something on my end.

It started after installing Bioshock...I can deal with it for now because I want to play this game but that should not be happening..

I have NWN2, STALKER and BioShock all installed on my computer right now.

Zero problems.

Currently installed NWN2 and BioShock.

Zero problems here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetau View Post
    PC Probe II is working fine on my system....
    me too.

I have an ASUS P5B.

it kept trying to connect to the internet for me, but its stopped now which is kinda bizarre!

PC Probe recently installed, working fine. I've had SecuROM on my computer since either F.E.A.R. or Scrapland (don't remember which has it) was installed, what, at least a year ago. It never gave me any problems with the exception of having to dismount drives with Daemon Tools (and I'm not sure that's part of SecuROM or some other anti-piracy feature).

Solid as a rock!

My PC has with stand-ed virus's, trojans, keyloggers, Worms (stupid E-Mail chain in 2005) And those stupid Cache files that mess with your system ☺☺☺☺...... And my system still works great!

So some random rootkit claim Isn't going to stop me from playing my new found favorite game to play! AVG's got my back for the past 3 years (was Ewido at one time) and I don't plan on not playing great games anytime soon!

You people should be more worried about the guy who hacked 4chan(and many other sites) and threatened Fox News.... He's more of a threat than some oKB file...

Just my thoughts.......

Quote Originally Posted by JStout View Post
    My PC has with stand-ed virus's, trojans, keyloggers, Worms (stupid E-Mail chain in 2005) And those stupid Cache files that mess with your system ☺☺☺☺...... And my system still works great!

So some random rootkit claim Isn't going to stop me from playing my new found favorite game to play! AVG's got my back for the past 3 years (was Ewido at one time) and I don't plan on not playing great games anytime soon!

You people should be more worried about the guy who hacked 4chan(and many other sites) and threatened Fox News.... He's more of a threat than some oKB file...

Just my thoughts.......
    I'd ask if you were joking, but you don't have to be Einstein to recognize how infinite human stupidity is.

Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
    I'd ask if you were joking, but you don't have to be Einstein to recognize how infinite human stupidity is.
    http://z.about.com/d/physics/1/0/C/0...ein_tongue.jpg

Perfect intro thankes!

Securom does not need to do anything "bad" to your system to be malitious. By simply locking me out of utilities I use commonly it is damaging my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Obturator View Post
    Securom does not need to do anything "bad" to your system to be malitious. By simply locking me out of utilities I use commonly it is damaging my pc.
    What utilities? Process Explorer? Runs fine on my PC, doesn't lock up, lock me out, or crash and I don't require constant reboots. AVG? Ran a scan while playing the game last night.

Another defender of securom lets give him a cookie...

It has been proven to stop Process Explorer.

Here is a thread with screenshots.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...ocess+explorer

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    Another defender of securom lets give him a cookie...
    I'm not defending anything. I just said it doesn't do any of the thing people are claiming it does to every PC it's on. Do I like DRM's? No. Do I understand why they are necessary? Yes. Do I think SecuROM is "harming" my PC? No more then Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player are.

Quote Originally Posted by r.a.matheson View Post
    It has been proven to stop Process Explorer.

Here is a thread with screenshots.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...ocess+explorer
    Great it stopped Process Explorer for that user. Doesn't change the fact that it has not stopped it on my PC.

As I said before, I have had SecuROM on my system for months and I am yet to have trouble with it.