Thread: MOD: Maps of the World Pack

Cool MOD: Maps of the World Pack

Dale's Maps of the World pack is a collection of very accurate, real Earth regions depicted as Civ 5 maps. These maps are high detail and as accurate as possible.

All maps come with no world wrapping, random resources, random start locations and random goodies.

You can find the map pack by going to "MODS" --> "Browse" and clicking the "Online" tab in the in-game mod browser.

Current maps in the pack:
    - Africa
    - Australia
    - Europe
    - North America
    - South America
    - South East Asia

Screenshots available in the following thread (at WePlayCiv): http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/show...s-of-the-World

Me like you long time!

wow that was fast! I guess some jobs have some interesting perks :P

anyways thanks for this

Thumbs up

Interesting.

So this is "the same but different' as the map-packs which are avalable through the pre-orders?

Very nice, nonetheless. Two thumbs up for Dale!

Quote Originally Posted by anandus View Post
    Interesting.

So this is "the same but different' as the map-packs which are avalable through the pre-orders?

Very nice, nonetheless. Two thumbs up for Dale!
    No, I was one of the Frankenstein testers. My maps have nothing to do with the pre-order bonus maps.

Mine are free!

Please note I've uploaded the proper release version of these maps (labelled "v1" in the browser). The maps labelled "Preview" were for pre-release reviewers.

Some minor edits were made to the maps for v1.

how do you use them? there is no option to use a custom map

Okay, so I go into the mod browser and download Dale Kents maps, and get the 'Complete' green bar.

Now what?

When I go to browse 'installed' mods, there are none listed. Once they are downloaded how do I go about installing and or playing them?

i can't play the installed World at War mod either. I click play several times, and nothing happens.

For some reason sometimes you need to exit Civ5 and go back in. When you click on Browse mods they should install and show.

To use any mod you need to activate it by clicking the green tick button on the right of the installed mod. Then it is ready to use. At that point click Back and then Single Player and Setup Game (for my World at War mod go into Custom Setup not Setup Game).

If this doesn't work, it may be a Civ5 bug (I'll let the devs know).

Yes, let them know. I've downloaded quite a few mods, and exited Civ 5, when I return and choose mods custom setup, there are no mods listed for me to loade at all, it's completely empty.

Your map works, however your scenario didn't work at all. I enabled it, green. Then try to choose it and click load a mod. It led me to a screen where I choose different wars. Then the forces. Then when the "play" button appears I clicked it, nothing happens. I reset Civ 5 several times, no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by City Builder View Post
    Yes, let them know. I've downloaded quite a few mods, and exited Civ 5, when I return and choose mods custom setup, there are no mods listed for me to loade at all, it's completely empty.
    Did you go back into Browse to see the list of mods and activate them (green tick on right hand side)?

Quote Originally Posted by allypower View Post
    Your map works, however your scenario didn't work at all. I enabled it, green. Then try to choose it and click load a mod. It led me to a screen where I choose different wars. Then the forces. Then when the "play" button appears I clicked it, nothing happens. I reset Civ 5 several times, no luck.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm not at my Civ PC but will check it out when I can and post back in the war mod thread.

Yes, after downloading the mods, I exit the game, restart go into browse mods, under installed there is nothing listed, under Online is all the same mods with a download button next to them, and under the download section is nothing listed.

I to go into mods single player and choose custom games and there is no mods listed in there either.

If you're confident with the windows file system, if you use Windows Explorer and browse to ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization V\MODS\ do you see anything in there?

And secondly, exit Civ5 and browse to ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization V\Cache\ and delete all the files in that folder and restart Civ5.

The cache files are recreated on game launch if they aren't already there.

Yes, in that folder are about 7 files with names such as:
    3e32ea0c-1c88-4952-bf4b-6a10d5239bfa-1.civ5mod

I then deleted all the files in the cache folder, restarted the game and went into the mods, browse, and clicked the download button to dowload one of yours.

I waited until it said complete, nothing else changed on the screen and so I exited and restarted, went back into the mods, brose for, and the file that I had downloaded before just has the download button next to it like it was before when I downloaded the mod.

So, somethings still not functioning for me.

Could maybe you post a screenshot of how it looks in the mod browser after it's been downloaded and installed?

I can't at the moment (at work) but I will at the earliest chance I get. Also, I've just posted a new blog on how to work out the new modding menus and how to get mods to work. It may be of help for you.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/entr...t-them-to-work!

I'm in the same boat as City Builder. After downloading there's just a green "Complete" but nothing listed in the Installed section. After exiting in the MODS folder there are several files and after deleting the contents of cache and restarting the game I run into the same issue.

If you have any more suggestions I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Well good to know I'm not alone in this.

Kaiser, by chance do you have your my documents folder mapped somewhere else on your computer? I move my documents folder from my C drive to my G drive using the normal method of moving a my documents folder and I wonder if that is causing the issue. It's writing the files to the folder so it shouldn't be it, but maybe when it comes time to read the files it has a bug and can't find anything.

I don't know, anyway, I read those instructions on the weplayciv site as you posted and follow those instructions but to no avail, they just don't load into the installed section of the mod browser for some reason.

Frustrating to say the least.

I'm having the exact same problem. I can download mods, they show up in my Civ 5 mods folder, but I can't install them. When I restart the game they don't even show up as having been downloaded.
    Last edited by NULLARC-X; 09-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by City Builder View Post
    Well good to know I'm not alone in this.

Kaiser, by chance do you have your my documents folder mapped somewhere else on your computer? I move my documents folder from my C drive to my G drive using the normal method of moving a my documents folder and I wonder if that is causing the issue. It's writing the files to the folder so it shouldn't be it, but maybe when it comes time to read the files it has a bug and can't find anything.
    Nope, My Documents is on my C drive.

Its a matter of having Civ V installed on a drive other than C: (or whatever drive windows is installed on) There was a thread earlier that a member from Fraxis replied that they are aware of the situation and are looking for a solution (wish i could find the thread)

EDIT: found the thread http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...on%27t+install
    Last edited by soundcreepy; 09-23-2010 at 03:04 AM.

I just found out if you wish to earn Steam achievements off these maps, move the map files to ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Maps\

If you play a map from a mod Steam achievements are disabled.

Love this map pack you made... Any chance you could make a partial TSL versions? So like if I set it up so that I was playing in Europe, I could have TSL places for the civilizations there, and random spawn for civilizations not around there normally? That'd be totally sweet to see

Hi Dale,

Since the world builder is not out yet, may I know how do you create the map in your first posting?

Quote Originally Posted by awbrab View Post
    Hi Dale,

Since the world builder is not out yet, may I know how do you create the map in your first posting?
    He has been testing the SDK for Firaxis.

Quote Originally Posted by awbrab View Post
    Hi Dale,

I was a tester for the SDK.

Played the real start locations on the huge earth map.

Iroquoi start right on top of the Americans. Perhaps move the indians further west like the Chicago area. They are still in the great lakes area there.
    Also noted elephants in the plains of north america.
    Anyway to place preset resources instead of random?

Also started a game as Rome. They are pinned in by city-states. Same as England.
    Ottomans start on top of Greece. etc..

Basically the world is too small and cramped for a huge map.

Hope that the worldbuilder can customised the location of the Natural Wonder, the city states and the start up location...